IGNORED

Bit Of Fun!

red man dan

Haha, you see, my plan is coming together nicely.....this was clearly just a sly attempt to gauge the aproximate ages of my fellow posters.

So far Nick J you are in the lead.. :winner_third_h4h:

My dad took me, I was very young at the time.

Surely there is someone on here older than 35?

Seriously, that team was something else, as was the feeling when we went up - as young as I was at the time (OK, a bit older than 1) the enormity of it was immense. There had been talk of City not being in the top division for 65 years, older City fans, and even many younger ones, doubted whether they would ever see it in their lifetimes.

You have to remember that in those days there was no play-offs, to go up you had to be one of the top 3 (and that had only recently changed from 2) in your league to be promoted. We went up in 2nd place, it would have been as Champions if we had beaten Notts County at home on the final day. That we didnt was probably down to the relief of getting promotion against Portsmouth 4 days earlier and, in all probability, the entire team spending those entire 4 days on the piss together.

That 75/76 team had a handful of average players and a handful of superb ones, but what they also had was unity, they played and fought for each other. Matched since only by Terry Cooper's fouth division team in the mid 80's. GJ showed signs of achieving the same with the current crop until earlier this season, maybe it will come together again.

There have been some great players over the years, John Galley, Bobby Kellard, Rob Newman, Bob Taylor, Alan Walsh, Shaun Goater, Brian Tinnion, Louis Carey, Jacki, are the names that spring easily to mind.

I always liked Bobby Hutchinson, Glyn Riley, and Mickey Bell. Keith Curle was immense when he stopped trying to be a winger and became, bizarrely, a centre half. Terry Cooper was still class playing in his 40's, and Norman Hunter helped us outstay our welcome in the first division.

I hope and think that Cole Skuse will in 10 years time be added to the list of City legends, he has it all and just needs to assert himself more - with his teammates. There are signs of that recently.

But as a team the 75/76 side would probably beat any combination of City players you could put together.

My dad took me, I was very young at the time.

Surely there is someone on here older than 35?

Seriously, that team was something else, as was the feeling when we went up - as young as I was at the time (OK, a bit older than 1) the enormity of it was immense. There had been talk of City not being in the top division for 65 years, older City fans, and even many younger ones, doubted whether they would ever see it in their lifetimes.

You have to remember that in those days there was no play-offs, to go up you had to be one of the top 3 (and that had only recently changed from 2) in your league to be promoted. We went up in 2nd place, it would have been as Champions if we had beaten Notts County at home on the final day. That we didnt was probably down to the relief of getting promotion against Portsmouth 4 days earlier and, in all probability, the entire team spending those entire 4 days on the piss together.

That 75/76 team had a handful of average players and a handful of superb ones, but what they also had was unity, they played and fought for each other. Matched since only by Terry Cooper's fouth division team in the mid 80's. GJ showed signs of achieving the same with the current crop until earlier this season, maybe it will come together again.

There have been some great players over the years, John Galley, Bobby Kellard, Rob Newman, Bob Taylor, Alan Walsh, Shaun Goater, Brian Tinnion, Louis Carey, Jacki, are the names that spring easily to mind.

I always liked Bobby Hutchinson, Glyn Riley, and Mickey Bell. Keith Curle was immense when he stopped trying to be a winger and became, bizarrely, a centre half. Terry Cooper was still class playing in his 40's, and Norman Hunter helped us outstay our welcome in the first division.

I hope and think that Cole Skuse will in 10 years time be added to the list of City legends, he has it all and just needs to assert himself more - with his teammates. There are signs of that recently.

But as a team the 75/76 side would probably beat any combination of City players you could put together.

To true ,a privalige to be in the E.E and sometimes sat on the benches around the inside of the ground in the build up to those years (from 1967) remember my first few games standing where the Dolman is now before being brave enough to venture into the E.E :noexpression:

BLOWING A BLIZZARD up here in snowy Glos after a day of rain complete white out, again :colder:

• Admin
Haha, come on then madger cough up, wheres your team?

I cant believe there hasnt been more Andy Cole selections, surely this forum isnt all under 20ish??

I'm not under 20 but my selection will be hampered by not following City until the mid-90s

Anyway from what I've seen:

Basso

Locke Carey Taylor Brennan

Murray Tinnion Elliott McIndoe

Goater Akinbiyi

Subs:

Welch

Fontaine

Barnard

Doherty (as a youngster)

Agostino

• Admin
Bo Andersen

Amankwaah Sebok Dyche Youga

Anyinsah Hutchings Hewlett Myrie-Williams

Jevons Torpey

What a team :innocent06:

Julian Watts from the same season as Sebok beats him hands down in that team.

Remember Sebok had Shearer in his back pocket & scored a hat-trick for his country during his time with us :D

most names have been done before but I would go at a push:-

Adriano Basso

Rob Newman

Martin Scott

Shaun Taylor

Louis Carey

Marvin Elliott

Gary Shelton

Alan Walsh

Brian Tinnion

Andy Cole

Leroy Lita

Clearly there are issues with the shape of the midfield and the forward line is like for like but there are goals galore, but the defence would be pretty solid!

Also, honourable mentions to Mark Gavin and Dave Smith, Jacki, Murray, Bell, Allison, Bob Taylor and Keith Welch, plus probably dozens of others I completely forgot.

To true ,a privalige to be in the E.E and sometimes sat on the benches around the inside of the ground in the build up to those years (from 1967) remember my first few games standing where the Dolman is now before being brave enough to venture into the E.E :noexpression:

The EE of the mid to late 70's was an inspiration to the players back then, the spirit of which died with relegation after relegation in the 80's folllowed by the construction of the Carling Britannia A1 Double Glazing what shall we call it this season Atyeo of the 90's, and the crusade of the "standing up at football is dangerous" H&S tawts of the 2000's.

Thankfully the EE class of 2007 onwards has reversed that, under adverse circumstances they are as good as if not better in some ways than the 70's EastEnders, so it isnt always a case of everything from the old days is better.

I yearn for the day when the whole of the EE is given back to City, and it becomes a sea of red and white scarves, which is what in the 70's it became for the big games - bouncing up and down perhaps to add a modern Johnsonesque touch.

Do you remember his first goal for City on the opening day of the season? Wolloped it in from by the touch line from i like to remember was at least 35 yards out....mind you it was about 30. I was sat gobsmacked in the williams behind the dugout. Amazing and a City memory i havent forgotten, mind you over time i began to like his fellow Aussie Paul Agostino more and after his goal at AG against the gas, he became a hero. Argh, Nostalgia.

i also remember Joe Jordon Freezing him out toward the end due to his alleged inability to keep it in his shorts with some players wives but he was great you always knew when he played he would score and got to know him fairly well when he was frozen out by the so called Super Joe top bloke even checked out my misus t**s first time i took her to the gate class bloke

Very hard to pick when you are as old as me! Far too much choice but in terms of ability and commitment to the cause:

Basso

Sweeney

Rodgers

Merrick

Whitehead

Tainton

Gow

Tinnion

Walsh

Atyeo

Garland

Subs:

Gibson

Carey

Shelton

Galley

Sharpe

Mind you arguably all the Ashton Gate 8 should be there as without them we would have no club. :city:

It's interesting to see that even some of the "more senior" supporters who were watching in the 60s and 70s have picked players from the current side. Are these players just fresher in the memory or are the likes of Basso, Carey and Elliot really amongst the best ever to play for City?

It's interesting to see that even some of the "more senior" supporters who were watching in the 60s and 70s have picked players from the current side. Are these players just fresher in the memory or are the likes of Basso, Carey and Elliot really amongst the best ever to play for City?

My effort.

GK - Keith Waugh

RB - Andy LLewelyn

CB - Louis Carey

CB - Oooohh Sean Taylor

LB - Martin Scott

RM - Mark Gavin

LM - Brian Tinnion

CM - Gary Shelton

AM - Jacki

CF - Bob Taylor

CF - Leroy Lita

Subs:

Darren Barnard

Bradley Orr

Marvin Elliott

Andy Cole (selfish tw*t - but good player)

Sean Goater

CTID.

I included Basso and Carey in my squad, given my criteria were ability and commitment. I thought long and hard about goalkeepers but still concluded Basso is the best I've seen, just ahead of Mike Gibson with an honourable mention for Jan Moller. I would have put Gary Collier (subject of a big bid from Leeds at 18 and a player who could have played for England if he had managed his career better I believe) ahead of Louis but he walked out when freedom of contract came in. I thought about Marvin but couldn't put in him in instead of or alongside Gerry Gow. No other current or recent players came to mind though. We do tend to remember players who were either the first we saw or the most recent I reckon mind you. Nostalgia's not what it used to be!

I included Basso and Carey in my squad, given my criteria were ability and commitment. I thought long and hard about goalkeepers but still concluded Basso is the best I've seen, just ahead of Mike Gibson with an honourable mention for Jan Moller. I would have put Gary Collier (subject of a big bid from Leeds at 18 and a player who could have played for England if he had managed his career better I believe) ahead of Louis but he walked out when freedom of contract came in. I thought about Marvin but couldn't put in him in instead of or alongside Gerry Gow. No other current or recent players came to mind though. We do tend to remember players who were either the first we saw or the most recent I reckon mind you. Nostalgia's not what it used to be!

here goes but this is tough: -

GK Shaw (not the best but legend all the same!!!)

RB Carey

CB Hunter

CB Collier

LB Barnard

Mid Walsh

Mid Gow

Mid Newman

Mid Whitehead

CF Cheesley

CF Royle

Subs Basso, A Cole, Riley, Merrick, Tinnion

Special mention in dispatches to: - Galliers, Neville, Jordan, Rodgers, Brennan, McClaren (yes he could play, shame he went into management), Agostino, Shelton, Jordan, Milne (I know he wasn't that good but I think he was Fergusons first signing at Man U), Moyes, Brian Williams (came from the Gas but won us all over!!) and of course Tom Ritchie.

All in my opinion obviously!!!

Good effort guys on this thread and cheers, wasnt sure if it would take off but it seems people on here enjoy there memories of players past and present. Despite some of our differences of opinion of late, one thing is CLEAR, we are ALL in the same boat, and we ALL enjoy BCFC and at the moment i have to say for me, its as exciting a time as i can remember, hopefully this current team over the next couple of years can emulate the success of NickJ's 75/76 promotion winning team and some of us will be posting about them in the coming years.

Here's to our club :winner_third_h4h:

Just a question for all city fans older than myself really, since Mike Gibson was a bit before my time how does he actually rank in comparison to Basso? My dad has always said that from what he remembers Gibson was a top class keeper and I just thought I might ask your opinions on Basso and Gibbo.

Close one to be honest. I'd put Gibbo a fraction ahead on the basis of better kicking and less prone to the odd ricket. Fortunate to see some pretty sound keepers at The Gate - Muller, Mercer, Cashley, Shaw - all were above average for the leagues they played in. Phillips just thought he was!

Archived