IGNORED

Gavin Willams

bcfcbs20

Thought Gav was brilliant today and the run back he put in on about 89 minutes was lung-bursting, great energy. Did he get booked for that? If so he's on 4 bookings, please Gav don't get suspended.

yeah he did fairly late challenge but thats how he plays with his heart on his sleeve

Guest RobbieTurner
was top class today nobody had a bad game but he stood out today absolute class like another signing since hes back in the team

and nice to see scotty get a run out

GET IN THERE WHAT A RESULT

I think we may have just found Nick Carle's replacement afterall.... :worship2:

Thought Gav was brilliant today and the run back he put in on about 89 minutes was lung-bursting, great energy. Did he get booked for that? If so he's on 4 bookings, please Gav don't get suspended.

I believe all yellow cards are wiped off at the end of February, so he should be ok, so long as he avoids one against Blackpool.

The thing with Gav is that he really hasn't played solidly for 2/3 years since he left Yeovil. He hardly played at West Ham and then moved to Ipswich where he struggled with injuries. A fully fit and firing Gavin Williams will be an outstanding asset for us and hopely will regain his place is the Welsh national side.

I think we may have just found Nick Carle's replacement afterall.... :worship2:

As soon as I saw there was a thread on Williams I knew Carle would get a mention. I've advocated we forget him cos he wasn't that significant and anyway he's gone but just for good measure....I think in the last few games Williams has affected a number of matches in a way Carle (for all his neat and tidy skill) never did. whether through scoring or making goals, dictating play, skill on the ball he has also been the player people keeping saying Noble is but with workrate. Not so much coming from all those who said Willams signing showed a lack of ambition...........

Really will make it an interesting decision when Marvin Elliott returns as to who gets left out!

You're right,that'll be very interesting. I'm in agreement with everyone that Gav was just outstanding yesterday. Now,risking the inevitable backlash,I thought Lee Johnson gave the ball away on numerous occasions yesterday and didn't have a great game against Southampton,only highlighted by the fact that Williams & Skuse are playing so well at the moment. I'm not an LJ hater,in fact I think he's a good player but if Marv was to get in the side now then LJ,for me,would have to make way.

Anyway we're talking about tinkering with a winning team which is a pleasant topic in itself. Well done yesterday lads. Bloody awesome!!

I'm afraid Marvin would need to sit on the bench and await his chance IMO. You do not change something that isn't broken unless you have to.

I agree. I always believe that the best scenario a manager can have is when players are playing for their places. It is of course only a scenario that the manager himself can create. If the other midfielders are playing well as they currently are then Elliot has to wait for his chance.....it will come......and when it does he has to take it......and the same goes for the player that is then out of the team.

I always felt this is where Sven went wrong with England....... he showed loyalty to players but for me it was to much loyalty........i always felt that players such as Owen were always going to be picked next game no matter how badly they played........i don't believe that is a healthy situation to be in.......players become complacent. You always knew that the player coming in was going to be droped no matter how well they played. I do feel at times in the past GJ has been slightly guilty of this, although not to the same degree. It is a difficult position i know.....but if the possesion of the shirt mentality can become part of the players mindset then IMO we as a club will only benifit!!!!!!!!!!

Ok then. When Marv got injured everyone said where are we going to get someone to replace him.

i.e. please Chairman get yer wallet out.

I actually said lets wait a few games and see what happens, you may be pleasantly suprised.

Anybody remember me saying that? So it was a case of don't panic. Gary did'nt.

We are all pleasantly suprised are'nt we. Well done Gavin Williams and dare I say Johnson junior.

Ok then. When Marv got injured everyone said where are we going to get someone to replace him.

i.e. please Chairman get yer wallet out.

I actually said lets wait a few games and see what happens, you may be pleasantly suprised.

Anybody remember me saying that? So it was a case of don't panic. Gary did'nt.

We are all pleasantly suprised are'nt we. Well done Gavin Williams and dare I say Johnson junior.

And a gold star for you :worship2:

When Williams arrived I'll admit I was a doubter, we had lost Carle and I wanted Watson. Williams was so plagued by injuries and with our high standards of fitness, I couldn't see why we signed him of all people.

However, Gary of course knew him and his ex teamates at Yeovil were very, very positive about what he would bring to the club. Unfortunately when he first played he was so lacking in matches, and out of position, he looked very poor.

Now, fit and in his correct position, dare I say it but he looks almost 'Tinnion-esque'. He plays positively, with intelligence, running with his head up always looking for 'that' pass. Gary was right, again.

I'm in agreement with everyone that Gav was just outstanding yesterday. Now,risking the inevitable backlash,I thought Lee Johnson gave the ball away on numerous occasions yesterday and didn't have a great game against Southampton,only highlighted by the fact that Williams & Skuse are playing so well at the moment. I'm not an LJ hater,in fact I think he's a good player but if Marv was to get in the side now then LJ,for me,would have to make way.

Anyway we're talking about tinkering with a winning team which is a pleasant topic in itself. Well done yesterday lads. Bloody awesome!!

Absolutely 100% agree with these comments. LJ did indeed give the ball away too cheaply on too many occasions yesterday and to have the option of replacing him with Marv is mouthwatering the way Skuse and Gav are playing. I know that LJ provides the team with far more than just when he touches the ball, his movement, his making himself always available to defenders & Basso, his stamina, his set pieces etc., and I've really enjoyed watching him over the years but the giving up of possession in silly places/situations is getting infuriating.

Two things worth remembering.

When Williams arrived, unfit and unknown to most fans, Mcindoe came out and put his neck on the block. He said Williams was one of the best 3 players he had ever played with. Secondly its easier for Williams to gel as he played alongside Mcindoe and LJ at Yeovil and with the same manager.

As for the Elliot situation, its been my experience that groin tears need complete rest from training to effect a complete recovery. That said, I think the 6 weeks would refer to time off the training pitch. With playoffs now a distinct possibility, Elliot may not be fit enough to start a full 90 minutes match until the end of march.

Absolutely 100% agree with these comments. LJ did indeed give the ball away too cheaply on too many occasions yesterday and to have the option of replacing him with Marv is mouthwatering the way Skuse and Gav are playing. I know that LJ provides the team with far more than just when he touches the ball, his movement, his making himself always available to defenders & Basso, his stamina, his set pieces etc., and I've really enjoyed watching him over the years but the giving up of possession in silly places/situations is getting infuriating.

Man of the match in the Mirror - for whatever that's worth

Marv does'nt give the ball away then?

The one thing that does strike me here is Garys ability to bring players up from league 1 mediocrity that nobody wants to championship players giving 100% and looking quality where most other teams around us tend to spend a lot of their chairman,s dosh.

John Madejski said on the radio recently (only partly tongue in cheek I reckon) that the first words spoken in every meeting with a Manager were always "I need three more players"! Whereas Steve seems to have to practically beg Gary to spend his money at times.

Archived