IGNORED

City Win And Rovers Lose......

Mr Mosquito

Yep, the fact the (former and soon to be again?) Basements lost AND missed a penalty was the cherry on the cake!

:winner_third_h4h:

In the workplaces, in the clubs, in the bars and pubs of Bristol the Gas/Leicester loss and Reading/City away win will be hot gossip. The eyes of English football are on us once again as we charge toward the victory of top flight football. :winner_third_h4h:

I took some stick on Tuesday night when the sags who use my local pub all returned from thier 3-0 win over Yeovil. The usual stuff, 'How did City get on at Donny Robbo?' and ' you'll do well to finish in the top half now the bubbles burst' and so on.

With my usual razor sharpe wit I asked 'are you out the bottom half yet?' but being outnumbered 4-1, I was never going to out banter them. Strange that only one of them was around last night...

But the bottom line is that I don't care how the sags get on.

But the bottom line is that I don't care how the sags get on.

I'm always interested in comparing and contrasting a Gas home loss with a big City away win - and yesterday we got it against the odds. An automatic promotion berth for the good ship BCFC and relegation for Irene's rapidly sinking Gas pirate ship is now a real possibility. :icecream: Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum or finest zider. :icecream:

There is an anthology "My favourite year" in which fans of assorted clubs recall their favourite season. Matt Nation wrote the chapter concerning City and one line states "Like beer without pork scratchings, a City away win was not complete unless it coincided with a Rovers home defeat".

Some things never change.

There is an anthology "My favourite year" in which fans of assorted clubs recall their favourite season. Matt Nation wrote the chapter concerning City and one line states "Like beer without pork scratchings, a City away win was not complete unless it coincided with a Rovers home defeat".

Some things never change.

Matt Nation is the great sage. A big City away win is always made that much better by a Gas home defeat. :winner_third_h4h:

By my reckoning our away win at third placed Reading must be the best league victory in Gary Johnson's Ashton gate tenure so far?

Matt Nation is the great sage. A big City away win is always made that much better by a Gas home defeat. :winner_third_h4h:

By my reckoning our away win at third placed Reading must be the best league victory in Gary Johnson's Ashton gate tenure so far?

Probably right, the 3-1 victory at Carlisle runs it close i think after going 1-0 down early on, that was also a great day out with a cracking atmosphere, never forget the McCoombe last ditch tackle to keep us 2-1 up and a brilliant left-footed effort by Orr for the third goal. Saturdays game was very special though and will live long in the memory, glad there were so many young-uns there to witness it.

Probably right, the 3-1 victory at Carlisle runs it close i think after going 1-0 down early on, that was also a great day out with a cracking atmosphere, never forget the McCoombe last ditch tackle to keep us 2-1 up and a brilliant left-footed effort by Orr for the third goal. Saturdays game was very special though and will live long in the memory, glad there were so many young-uns there to witness it.

I reckon we've got to go back over a decade to when we last beat a higher placed and rated second tier league side at their manor in the league.

that was a great day out in the pub before the game everyone was saying were going to lose as we had that youth keeper from everton and it didnt look good untill mccombe scored to make it 1 1 and didnt the home fans opposite stay and clap us and the team

I reckon we've got to go back over a decade to when we last beat a higher placed and rated second tier league side at their manor in the league.

Actually last season we won away to a side just relegated from the Prem and in a top six spot (Watford), though their lack of footballing sophistication, rather like Stoke, always makes you think that they are a mid table side.

As for Rovers, nowadays in all honesty it just gives me a laugh when they lose and occasionally I don't even know who they are playing, as despite their friends at the Evening Post (I wonder if they'll now report that their season is "fizzling out" as Stockhausen said ours was in danger of at Xmas?) they aren't even news.

Despite the way it is written up, beating teams like Yeovil and Cheltenham is pretty small beer, so the gap now is not so much clear blue water as a whole ocean.

Archived