IGNORED

Is This Year's Championship As Strong As We Thought?

downendcity

When we were languishing in the lower reaches of the league before Christmas, quite a few posters commented that a midtable finish would be Ok as this year's championship was much stronger than last. Birmingham, Reading and Wolves were highlighted as raising the standard with the quality of their players , and the likes Sheff Utd, Burnley and Preston had improved noticeably this time around.

Our good run seems to have coincided with most of the top teams dropping points left, right and centre. We know our position at the end of 2008 was a bit false, but were some of the top teams in slightly false positions as well? The top teams seem to be coming back towards the chasing pack and it could soon be that the top 5/6 could be tightly bunched, and very similar to the way the top end of the teable looked last season.

In view of this, is this year's championship stronger and of a higher standard than last season's?

In view of this, is this year's championship stronger and of a higher standard than last season's?

Probably best to check the table with the same point last year to see how the points are spread. The table doesn't lie.

I'm guessing the top 3 are way ahead of the top 3 this time last year?

When we were languishing in the lower reaches of the league before Christmas, quite a few posters commented that a midtable finish would be Ok as this year's championship was much stronger than last. Birmingham, Reading and Wolves were highlighted as raising the standard with the quality of their players , and the likes Sheff Utd, Burnley and Preston had improved noticeably this time around.

Our good run seems to have coincided with most of the top teams dropping points left, right and centre. We know our position at the end of 2008 was a bit false, but were some of the top teams in slightly false positions as well? The top teams seem to be coming back towards the chasing pack and it could soon be that the top 5/6 could be tightly bunched, and very similar to the way the top end of the teable looked last season.

Its an interesting thought & I was thinking much the same over the weekend. Last season as the only "big" (I.E ex prem) club to do well was WBA the media decided that the Champuonship was rubbish. This season the nations scribes have been comforted with the sight of Reading, Brum & Wolves at the top of the league. However if those sides fall away will they now decide that the league is rubbish after all ??

The word for me is attritional - there are lots of games in this league & lots of the teams, on their day are pretty good.

Interesting comparison. This time last season City had yet to hit the dodgy patch and only managed another 13 points from the last 12 games. Only two points difference between Stoke after 34 games Wolves 34 games.

With Reading and Brum coming down, this seasons CCC must be considered stronger than last season. Wolves also strengthened considerably.

Its an interesting thought & I was thinking much the same over the weekend. Last season as the only "big" (I.E ex prem) club to do well was WBA the media decided that the Champuonship was rubbish. This season the nations scribes have been comforted with the sight of Reading, Brum & Wolves at the top of the league. However if those sides fall away will they now decide that the league is rubbish after all ??

The word for me is attritional - there are lots of games in this league & lots of the teams, on their day are pretty good.

I completely agree, however WBA weren't ex-Prem last year, as they were playoff final losers from the year before.

What was strange about last season was that the 3 ex-Prem sides all struggled, Watford actually did just make the play offs after limping home with a shocking run in; Sheff U had far too much ground to make up for the top six after employing the buffoon that is Bryan Robson and Charlton started their implosion under Pardew early enough in 2008 to fall out of play off contention, meaning that of the sides involved Hull were bottom six the year before, Palace rose from the bottom half and we weren't even in the league 12 months earlier, as we all know.

I think the standard is actually a little better now as I couldn't see what is basically a cross between a basketball and rugby league team in Stoke doing quite so well this time around.

I don't think this years Championship is anywhere near as strong as I thought it would be

I think all of us expected Reading and Birmingham to be up there and probably Wolves to be in the race as well.

Theres no doubt that the teams coming down from the Prem were stronger (IMO) than those going up. And I also thought the teams coming into the division were stronger than those getting relegated (possibly with the exception off Donny/Leicester)

However, personally i also expected to see other teams making a big push this year

Charlton were not a million miles away last year and i certainly expected to see them in the mix, not bottom

QPR spent a fair bit of money in the summer and probably expected to see a return

Derby with the aid of a good start to get last seasons Premier League monkey off their shoulder may have been up there

Palace are always there or there abouts

Sheffield United same as above

And even Cardiff (well they are up there) as i think without their cup run last season they would have made the PO's

I expected to see a lot of teams battling out for the playoff spots, and there are. However its Swansea, Burnley, Us, Preston. Certainly not the ones people would assume

Whilst we have fewer points than we did this time last season, we do have more than Hull did and only two fewer than West Brom so anything's possible!

City also have momemtum which is crucial. Just like Hull last season. Teams like Reading, Wolves and Brum all had similar momentum earlier in the season but no team can maintain it over 46 games.. All three have hit a dodgy patch around the same time. (Same thing happened to Watford last season). Thats given all the other contenders the chance to close the gap.

The City players are full of confidence and have last years experience of being in the promotion race to learn from.They'll know that they blew automatic by losing form last season right when it really mattered. Some pundits felt that City 'bottled it', but not this season - I'll bet the feeling in the camp is that they won't lose another game.

An average of two points agame from here on in could well leave City in or very close to second spot.

The Championship is a strong league. It's a very strong league, and every team has players who can produce moments of quality.

The thing is, we're a very good team.

I think it's a problem all football fans have; we over-analyse, we look at every last detail and always notice what goes wrong. But how often do we sit down, go through our team and realise we've got a good group of players here? City fans often complain that the press don't give us enough credit. I think the bottom line is we don't give ourselves enough credit.

We're one of the strongest sides and clubs in this division, and that's an incredible achievement from top to bottom. We should all be very proud of what we've achieved. I know I am.

The league for me is stronger this season but only amongst a handful of clubs.

I predicted 7th last season and 2nd this time around.. 4,3 even 1 week ago i might have looked a dumpling wheeling that prediction out but i feel quite happy to mention it again now because while it remains a long shot it is no longer just a dream.

As many have said here no team can maintain good form over 46 games with very rare exceptions such as Reading in 05/06 when they were promoted with about 106 pts.

Look how Watford capitulated last season; a remarkable fall from grace for them so the three above us may continue to falter although it would be truly remarkable if they all continued to do so.

City also have momemtum which is crucial. Just like Hull last season.

I am not doubting that but I do sometimes wonder if it is apocryphal. Yes Hull came on a run and got promoted, but looking at that comparison table, Palace must have been very much the form side in the last 12 games and it didn't do them any good.

I think for every Hull, there are probably 2 or 3 Palace's that go unnoticed if they fail. Also it could be considered that we have hit the heights a little too early, as it stands we could be considered one of the teams to catch by the likes of Ipswich, QPR and a couple of others, rather than the team on a late, late run......

I am not doubting that but I do sometimes wonder if it is apocryphal. Yes Hull came on a run and got promoted, but looking at that comparison table, Palace must have been very much the form side in the last 12 games and it didn't do them any good.

I think for every Hull, there are probably 2 or 3 Palace's that go unnoticed if they fail. Also it could be considered that we have hit the heights a little too early, as it stands we could be considered one of the teams to catch by the likes of Ipswich, QPR and a couple of others, rather than the team on a late, late run......

You have to remember that Palace were bottom at Christmas 2007 and looked likely to go down ala Doncaster, but they put a Massive run together and go to the play-offs. I think there fans were just gratefull to get in the play-offs to be quite honest.

I agree with you about peaking slightly to early thou, IMO the right time to peak is around mid March and i can see a team like Ipshwich or Qpr really getting there act together and making a late push.

At the start of last season many of us were apprehensive and stated 20th position would be cause to celebrate, but City finished 4th to confound us all. Many fans then stated auto promo had been there for the taking but City mucked it up.

At the start of this season I posted that there were 14 clubs stronger than City, so was not alarmed when we fell to 15th. I had also posted that all the others would be concerned about us though.

Last week who would have forseen Saints 3 - PNE 1? It could be that anyone can beat anyone in this div and consistency is the only requirement for success. In City's 83-84 promotion season they lost 6 games on the trot in the autumn, but still went up! If the forum had been around then, think of the comments we'd have seen during that run. This year Wolves, Brum and Reading have faltered, but have not lost 6 consec.

I don't see momentum as apocryphal at all. Its a well known phenonimen in most sports. Winning breeds confidence and that transfers into the sporting arena. Look at Phil Taylor or Tiger Woods or more relevent to football the run Man Utd are currently on. Its all about confidence and belief in ones own ability.

I take your point about hitting the heights a little too early.You could well be right. Its almost impossible to maintain a high momentum for a long period as the top three are currently showing but I was very impressed with the way City bounced back after a putting in a poor performance at Donny. In the past that defeat may well have brought a full stop to the good run but Johnson is a smart psychologist and has looked at that reverse with the players and taken positives and learnt from it.

Its too hard a call to predict whether City can continue to play as they have been for the last 10 games for the last 12 games but I'm a great believer in momentum (as you can tell) and I'm optimistic that City will continue with the good form and finish in the top six.

Momentum is everything. The belief that you can do no wrong in a sporting arena, you feel unbeatable, and that is what everybody strives to achieve. The air of being invincible is exactly what you want. Currently we have it, and I just hope that it stays with us until the end of the season!

Alternatively, there may be a train of thought that since Basso has been at our club, the reason for our success is due to his faith and beliefs and that his 'mate' is looking out for us! However that would be a silly thing to suggest........wouldn't it?

I don't see momentum as apocryphal at all. Its a well known phenonimen in most sports. Winning breeds confidence and that transfers into the sporting arena. Look at Phil Taylor or Tiger Woods or more relevent to football the run Man Utd are currently on. Its all about confidence and belief in ones own ability.

I take your point about hitting the heights a little too early.You could well be right. Its almost impossible to maintain a high momentum for a long period as the top three are currently showing but I was very impressed with the way City bounced back after a putting in a poor performance at Donny. In the past that defeat may well have brought a full stop to the good run but Johnson is a smart psychologist and has looked at that reverse with the players and taken positives and learnt from it.

Its too hard a call to predict whether City can continue to play as they have been for the last 10 games for the last 12 games but I'm a great believer in momentum (as you can tell) and I'm optimistic that City will continue with the good form and finish in the top six.

And also relevantly it's not always about playing at your best during such a run. Man U have not been playing to last season's level but still have the momentum as you say. Likewise we have not consistently played at our highest level during our run but our mindset and confidence carries us through.

i don't see how our recent form has come too early.Imo apart from last weeks heroics at reading all we have done is beat teams that have been having indifferent form since xmas. This has given us the momentum to go on a run against teams above us.Would you prefer that we didnt beat these teams and conserve our selves for a late dash? :tumbleweed:

i don't see how our recent form has come too early.Imo apart from last weeks heroics at reading all we have done is beat teams that have been having indifferent form since xmas. This has given us the momentum to go on a run against teams above us.Would you prefer that we didnt beat these teams and conserve our selves for a late dash? :tumbleweed:

well no, I don't think there is any suggestion of that. That would suggest you can pick and choose how and when runs start and finish. :noexpression:

All I am saying is that the longer the run the harder it gets sustain, sides that play you are aware of you and try that little bit harder etc. I hope you are right in saying that the confidence we have built against the lower sides will now feed itself into the games against the bigger clubs, because as I said in the original post, winning those games will have a double effect.

Archived