IGNORED

Ashton Gate 1979

Keepers Ball

Ah the memories -

I remember lying down in the visitor's open end terrace to watch City beat Plymouth on a cold evening in the league cup.

The children's stand below the Dolman where the police horses stood behind and produced manure.

The East end where we told Trevor Morgan that he sucked the horse's penis.

Those were the days...

Quality. 1979 - the year my old man took me to my first game.

Some serious memories watching that short clip!

13th January 1979 at the grand old age of 5 years old standing at the front of the East End on a milk crate to see over the wall at the front. 0-0 against Tottenham and that was me hooked.

Being an impressionable 5 year old I've also followed Tottenham ever since as my second team.

That said, cant wait for the day when we beat them at the Gate in the Premier League! (hoping that day will come before we re-locate to new stad or they get relegated!)

When the weather was dry I remember standing on the terracing at the open end many times seperated by just a few stewards and coppers from the away fans. The banter was very friendly. We used to exchange songs and meat pies.

When the weather was wet it was down the covered end (the EE)

I can also remember the police horses standing just below the steps in the Dolman stand before they closed them in. They never seemd to move anywhere and there was always four of them.

One game aganist the gas it was difficult to get our usual tickets and we ended up in the Williams Stand which used to have a terrace just behind the dugouts all along the length of the stand. It pissed down with rain and we got drenched. I don't remember the score.

When the weather was dry I remember standing on the terracing at the open end many times seperated by just a few stewards and coppers from the away fans. The banter was very friendly. We used to exchange songs and meat pies.

When the weather was wet it was down the covered end (the EE)

I can also remember the police horses standing just below the steps in the Dolman stand before they closed them in. They never seemd to move anywhere and there was always four of them.

One game aganist the gas it was difficult to get our usual tickets and we ended up in the Williams Stand which used to have a terrace just behind the dugouts all along the length of the stand. It pissed down with rain and we got drenched. I don't remember the score.

twas called the ENCLOSURE and was my preferred place to watch the match with me Dad. ooo aaarrr o rrrrr.

Quality. 1979 - the year my old man took me to my first game.

Some serious memories watching that short clip!

13th January 1979 at the grand old age of 5 years old standing at the front of the East End on a milk crate to see over the wall at the front. 0-0 against Tottenham and that was me hooked.

Being an impressionable 5 year old I've also followed Tottenham ever since as my second team.

That said, cant wait for the day when we beat them at the Gate in the Premier League! (hoping that day will come before we re-locate to new stad or they get relegated!)

I remember that game, too - just moved up to Bristol and that was one of my first trips to the Gate (if not the first). Spurs had Ardiles and Ricky Villa, didn't they? Also remember losing 3-1 to Liverpool that season at AG, but giving them a decent game.

I remember that game, too - just moved up to Bristol and that was one of my first trips to the Gate (if not the first). Spurs had Ardiles and Ricky Villa, didn't they? Also remember losing 3-1 to Liverpool that season at AG, but giving them a decent game.

1980 relegation season - not such a good memory, you would think, but it is strange how the lapse of time time allows fondness in even the bad memories

Remember a Spurs game at AG around same period in Div 1 when all us young'uns were told to climb over the open end turnstiles so they didnt clock up any more numbers as officialy the open end had reached capacity.....cant see that being allowed these days

If it's the one I remember, we played Spurs on a frozen pitch (would never be played today) and Villa looked as though he was on a perfect surface, or possibly floating just above the ground, when everybody else was falling on their asses. Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

That's just what the new ground should look like. Send this video to SL and ask him to revise the design :)

Memories. Love it.

Even at a very young age I remember hanging off the fencing at the front of the stand to peer between the rails. Much has changed.

They've also been pretty busy with the red paint since too.

My favourite classic Ashton gate youtube clip...

Especially the first track. (music on).

For those old enough to remember.

The last minute or so with Cheesely on the ground is heartbreaking, wonderful scenes at Coventry with the players from both teams dancing with each other at the end, i was behind the goal where City scored as a 14 year old with a few mates, if the picture was better i'd probably recognise myself, the City end was full up so 100s of City fans were scattered all around the rest of the ground, a wonderful night never to be forgotten hard to believe it was 32 years ago

I'm too young to remember Ashton Gate like that. I've only ever seen it all-seater with big Atyeo stand etc. Whenever I see videos like this, I feel gutted that I never saw Ashton Gate terraced and standing. It looks fantastic! There is no way I can imagine what it must have been like, and that annoys me!!

I'm too young to remember Ashton Gate like that. I've only ever seen it all-seater with big Atyeo stand etc. Whenever I see videos like this, I feel gutted that I never saw Ashton Gate terraced and standing. It looks fantastic! There is no way I can imagine what it must have been like, and that annoys me!!

Same, I'd love if we could have terracing at the new ground.

My favourite classic Ashton gate youtube clip...

Especially the first track. (music on).

For those old enough to remember.

fair play for digging this up, great memories .would love to see kevin mabbutts 4 against man utd again, if its out there. Anybody else remember jantumann? :clapping:

Archived