IGNORED

O Basso, O Basso.

Roadrunner

Adriano was at fault yes, but give credit to the scorer, not quite sure how he squeezed it in fom that angle.

Hugely disappointed with Cardiff, Chopra & Ledley not in the game.

Boom was immense for us.

As was bradley!

Basso is a good keeper and has won us many points, but 'top three keeper', 'Brazilian number one' etc talk is massive exaggeration I'm afraid.

He is a fantastic shot stopper and not a great deal else.

Although that comes across harsh it actually isnt meant to. However the reality is that whilst being a fantastic shot stopper, his command of his area, kicking and catching all leaves quite a bit to be desired, and it is only due to his excellence in one aspect that his frailities in others are overlooked.

Basso is a good keeper and has won us many points, but 'top three keeper', 'Brazilian number one' etc talk is massive exaggeration I'm afraid.

Although that comes across harsh it actually isnt meant to. However the reality is that whilst being a fantastic shot stopper, his command of his area, kicking and catching all leaves quite a bit to be desired, and it is only due to his excellence in one aspect that his frailities in others are overlooked.

Have to disagree. Very good at coming for crosses - Decisive - Makes his mind up whether to catch/punch very early - rarely makes mistakes when coming for crosses.

Also very good at kicking now - Something that he has obviously worked on whilst he's been here.

What a mistake to make. First thoughts drop him. Second thoughts that would be a mistake. He's saved us time after time. If the outplayers only score once, these things happen and are costly, very costly.

He's one of eleven players any of the other ten could have followed that ball in, as did that Cardiff player and stopped it going in. s**t happens shame it was today of all days but thye season aint over yet! At the very least we will be in championship next season, how many of us would have settled for that a few years ago!

OK... so when an equally (if not higher) paid striker fails to score you then blame him for the points lost??

Yes, I blame Mcindoe for not picking up 3 pts against Forest due to him missing a penalty, nothing wrong with that imo.

In an attempt to provide some balance, rather than lobby the case that he should be dropped (as I don't believe he should), off the top of my head he was at fault/part fault for yesterdays goal, both goals vs Wolves and Charlton at home.

That's 4 goals in 'recent' games, 3 of which have cost us 4 points.

I'm very surprised that no one has questioned the validity of the Cardiff equaliser (sorry if they have, and I've missed it). If I remember rightly, Martin Keogh 'scored' an identical goal against Man Utd a few years ago (Barthez was in goal), which was disallowed. In the press the following week, it was clarified that if the ball is on the ground and the goalkeeper has any part of his hand on it, then it is under his control and can't be played by an opponent. Yesterday Basso appeared to have his hand flat on the ball when it was kicked. I'm amazed that no one on the field protested - or have they changed the rules?

I'm very surprised that no one has questioned the validity of the Cardiff equaliser (sorry if they have, and I've missed it). If I remember rightly, Martin Keogh 'scored' an identical goal against Man Utd a few years ago (Barthez was in goal), which was disallowed. In the press the following week, it was clarified that if the ball is on the ground and the goalkeeper has any part of his hand on it, then it is under his control and can't be played by an opponent. Yesterday Basso appeared to have his hand flat on the ball when it was kicked. I'm amazed that no one on the field protested - or have they changed the rules?

I understand it be both hands need to be on the ball. I have no complaints about the goal - apart from I don't think they deserved it.

A goal against Man Utd disallowed? thats because its man u.

off the top of my head he was at fault/part fault for yesterdays goal, both goals vs Wolves and Charlton at home.

It would be wrong to blame him for the first goal against Wolves. IMO the same outcome would have befallen 99% of keepers in the league.

Caught by the wind the ball travelled almost horizontal for 5 yards above him.

that is spot on! i've lost count of the times this season i've read how basso has saved us.

the amount of times i've read it shows how many howlers he's made!

Cotswold Red:

I remember watching that incident a number of times when it happened and it appeared to me that there was very little, if any, deviation in flight.

Although I am more than happy to see the replay again and have my mind changed, it was simply a misjudgement on his part. If the wind played any factor is was mental as he perhaps attempted to predict a change in flight, rather than trusting the ball to travel true.

It would be wrong to blame him for the first goal against Wolves. IMO the same outcome would have befallen 99% of keepers in the league.

Caught by the wind the ball travelled almost horizontal for 5 yards above him.

IMO 99% of professional keepers would not have let that goal v wolves in. It was a mistake.

Cotswold Red:

I remember watching that incident a number of times when it happened and it appeared to me that there was very little, if any, deviation in flight.

Although I am more than happy to see the replay again and have my mind changed, it was simply a misjudgement on his part. If the wind played any factor is was mental as he perhaps attempted to predict a change in flight, rather than trusting the ball to travel true.

Interesting. I agree its not obvious that anything was untoward on TV.

I was about 10 rows back in the EE and my immediate impression was that the wind held it up. Of course its not a scientific appraisal. Throughout the game, there were large pieces of litter around the goal that were being lifted directly upwards which served to convince me of what i'd seen.

I hope I am right, though Basso himself will know if it was his own mistake.

Interesting. I agree its not obvious that anything was untoward on TV.

I was about 10 rows back in the EE and my immediate impression was that the wind held it up. Of course its not a scientific appraisal. Throughout the game, there were large pieces of litter around the goal that were being lifted directly upwards which served to convince me of what i'd seen.

I hope I am right, though Basso himself will know if it was his own mistake.

Nothing Basso could do on that goal. I remember the wind swept it past him. Otherwise he would have caught it comfortably.

SJC - you cant predict a gust of wind!

Riaz;

Ha ha yeah I appreciate that.

What I meant was, as it had been clear the wind was playing a factor in the game, perhaps Basso had that on his mind when coming for the cross, because he simply over-ran it.

As 'Cotswold' has said, maybe an updraft took it over him. But from every angle ive seen it has to go down as an avoidable goalkeeping error.

In an attempt to provide some balance, rather than lobby the case that he should be dropped (as I don't believe he should), off the top of my head he was at fault/part fault for yesterdays goal, both goals vs Wolves and Charlton at home.

That's 4 goals in 'recent' games, 3 of which have cost us 4 points.

4 points hes cost us?

In the 17 clean sheats he has kept we have earnt 39 points

Ok, other keepers may have kept clean sheats in many of those games, but its hard to remember a game where he has NOT made an outstanding save or 2

One mistake and its a big deal? If we only score 1 goal in a game then we are at risk of this happening

Any for those blaming the defending, watch the highlights again, it was an unfortunate mistake

Both Fontaine and Carey were back, Carey would have blocked the shirt but Fontaine stuck his foot out to tackle and carey tripped over it

Theres no denying it was a bad mistake and we didnt deserve to draw, but no need for this to be honest

4 points hes cost us?

In the 17 clean sheats he has kept we have earnt 39 points

Ok, other keepers may have kept clean sheats in many of those games, but its hard to remember a game where he has NOT made an outstanding save or 2

One mistake and its a big deal? If we only score 1 goal in a game then we are at risk of this happening

Any for those blaming the defending, watch the highlights again, it was an unfortunate mistake

Both Fontaine and Carey were back, Carey would have blocked the shirt but Fontaine stuck his foot out to tackle and carey tripped over it

Theres no denying it was a bad mistake and we didnt deserve to draw, but no need for this to be honest

Ive not seen the highlights yet, was there any hint of offside? I mean there player has hit it from the edge of the box and by the time basso has got down and spilled it (not very far) there striker has got in and tucked it away, was somebody playing him onside? Maybe Bradley Orr was?

Ive not seen the highlights yet, was there any hint of offside? I mean there player has hit it from the edge of the box and by the time basso has got down and spilled it (not very far) there striker has got in and tucked it away, was somebody playing him onside? Maybe Bradley Orr was?

Basso didn't get up very quickly. It was amusing watching it on tv, as he got up dived at the ball looked round to see it in the net then fell to the floor clutching his arm!!

Unfortunatly we saw why Basso will not play Premier League football (Unless its with Bristol City) An unbelievable save straight after Maynard has scored then a routine save was messed up big time.

Basso is a very good instinctive shot stopper, but when he has time to think about it, thats when mistakes creep in..

Guest ashtonyate

All keepers make mistakes like all outfield players do,I would single out Basso as one of the reasons the team are near the top of the table. I have watched City's Keepers over the years from Bob Anderson right up to now and there has not been many better than Basso.

Archived