IGNORED

O Basso, O Basso.

Roadrunner

Just seen goal again on Big League Weekend and is a bit of comedy of errors - first it rebounds off Skuuuuuuuuse into the Baadiff players path - then both Carey and Fontaine go to tackle the guy and Carey trips over Fontaine's leg (nothing to do with him needing to change his boots!) and then the final "mess-up" by Basso

But to be fair to McCormack for finishing from tight angle

Still damned annyoying ...... :grr:

I'm very surprised that no one has questioned the validity of the Cardiff equaliser (sorry if they have, and I've missed it). If I remember rightly, Martin Keogh 'scored' an identical goal against Man Utd a few years ago (Barthez was in goal), which was disallowed. In the press the following week, it was clarified that if the ball is on the ground and the goalkeeper has any part of his hand on it, then it is under his control and can't be played by an opponent. Yesterday Basso appeared to have his hand flat on the ball when it was kicked. I'm amazed that no one on the field protested - or have they changed the rules?

Totally Agree. The ref made a misstake.

Thank you for that post cje3354!!

I must admit, I'm not sure. That text has been added after I've done my training so I haven't heard any advice on it. Before I read that I would have been tempted to say it was fine as just one hand on the ball wouldn't appear to indicate control.

I think the wording may be important - I think the use of the word 'hand' is to stop players trying to run up behind the keeper and attempt to knock it out of his hands as he tries to kick it. The next line says: "When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent."

That phrase uses hands, which is probably important in the interpretation of the law. If he'd have had two hands on the ball I think it would have been disallowed.

I must admit, I'm not sure. That text has been added after I've done my training so I haven't heard any advice on it. Before I read that I would have been tempted to say it was fine as just one hand on the ball wouldn't appear to indicate control.

I think the wording may be important - I think the use of the word 'hand' is to stop players trying to run up behind the keeper and attempt to knock it out of his hands as he tries to kick it. The next line says: "When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent."

That phrase uses hands, which is probably important in the interpretation of the law. If he'd have had two hands on the ball I think it would have been disallowed.

"or between his hand and any

surface (e.g. ground, own body)"

Would that not be enough?

3.18 into the highlights it's 100 percent clear Basso had his hand on the ball before it was strucked.

In fact, when Basso hold his hand on the ball their player is closer to the ball with his left foot than his scoring right.

Press the stop button and watch it yourself!

Tommy

3.18 into the highlights it's 100 percent clear Basso had his hand on the ball before it was strucked.

In fact, when Basso hold his hand on the ball their player is closer to the ball with his left foot than his scoring right.

Tommy

The way I read it, that part of the guidance was to prevent keepers timewasting by having a hand on the ball for ten seconds, then getting up and taking six seconds to release it back into play. But I could be wrong....

I hate errors of stupidity. Errors of technique i don't mind. If Bradley missplaces another pass it's because he's not able. When Basso does that it really annoys me.

My theory is that Basso is our Phillips of the championship. Good, but not enough if you want to go up automatically. Weale's failed to take his chance(s) so lets try and improve an area where there is obvious room for improvement.

Archived