IGNORED

Cardiffs Goal Should Have Been Disallowed

bristolcitysweden

You woulden't say that if you had watched World.

[/quoteI said the same thing when I saw the highlights on HTV on Monday night. :rolleyes: Basso definately had his hand on the ball and the ball was kicked from his hand. At the end of the day the ref gave it and we cannot change anything so just look forward now to the QPR game. Come on you Reds.

I can't remember seeing Basso complain to the Ref on Sunday following the goal... and let's face it he's normally quite keen to get his point across at the officials.

It was a goal... it was a draw... we move on to the next game.

No he just rolled on the floor as if he had broken his arm!!

Absolutley nothing wrong with the goal at all.

At first I thought it was a goal. I thought you had to have both hands on it.

But having read the NEW rules- which states that one hand and the ground and the keeper is "in possesion" - it is clear it should have been ruled out. Basso's hand is clearly on the ball as fatty kicks the ball.

Still, it was a mistake by Basso, he could have knocked it out for a corner rather than take a risk.

But it was given & I'm over it now

Jesus christ! some people on here need to get a grip!

The lad was only simply saying the goal should have been disallowed....its a talking point in the game, some feel it should have, some say it shouldnt have. People on here calling him "bitter" and "need to sort yourself out".....my days, get a grip

or best still, lets all discuss some more about how bad Lee Johnson and Stern John is....or how Trundle and Noble should be in the team......you know, just for a change

Well put.

I'm glad Sweden posted the message because I thought the same when I saw it on Sky but wasn't sure about the rule. Having now read the rules as posted here, the goal should have been disallowed. I agree that's football and there's nothing we can do about it, but it's clear to me that the striker kicked the ball out from Basso having "control" of it as defined by the rule book.

Jesus christ! some people on here need to get a grip!

Tad touchy mate, Just don't see the point in bleating on about something that just ain't reality. Hence it's not a talking point as no one mentioned it until they'd watched it 100 times on TV!. 99.9% thought at the time,as the referee did, it was a fair goal. The End.

The lad was only simply saying the goal should have been disallowed....its a talking point in the game, some feel it should have, some say it shouldnt have. People on here calling him "bitter" and "need to sort yourself out".....my days, get a grip

I said he sounds bitter by not just letting it go and excepting it was a fair goal. Grasping at staws if you like. At no point was Basso in control of the ball and to suggest the goal should of been disallowed is nonsense.

or best still, lets all discuss some more about how bad Lee Johnson and Stern John is....or how Trundle and Noble should be in the team......you know, just for a change

If you like.

Noble and Trunds aren't in the team because they don't fit the mould of a GJ 'type' of player. e.g. Run around alot.

Stern did better the last few time's out but suffers as the rest of the strikers do with poor service from midfield. LJ= :superman::tumbleweed:

Have a good one.

Tad touchy mate, Just don't see the point in bleating on about something that just ain't reality. Hence it's not a talking point as no one mentioned it until they'd watched it 100 times on TV!. 99.9% thought at the time,as the referee did, it was a fair goal. The End.

I think it is a fair talking point. I reckon most City fans, myself included, thought Basso needed two hands on the ball hence why most thought it a fair goal at the time. On reading the rules of the game it opens up the debate on whether the goal should have stood. Like many have said I'd have been disappointed if we had scored a similar goal only for it to be disallowed. Why is debating whether it was a foul on our keeper any different to any other talking points in the game?

I was as pissed off as the next man that we couldn't hold on to the end! but making ludicrous claims that thier goal shouldn't of counted doesn't help and just make you look like a bad loser.

I mean to suggest the referee should of spotted that Basso got to the ball a fraction before RM isn't realistic and like I said was Basso really in contol of the ball? Of course not.

If you accept that Sweden's quote from page 111 is correct, and if you accept that the ball was between one of Basso's hands and the ground, then the goal should have been disallowed, simple.

Being in "control of the ball" is not the rule, the rule is much more precise than that, as Sweden points out.

The reason it wasnt spoken about much is not many people knew the new rule, and not many had looked closely enough to see where the ball was.

This is a forum for discussing talking points, Sweden raises an interesting point, so to brand him as bitter and a bad loser, well...

I said he sounds bitter by not just letting it go and excepting it was a fair goal. Grasping at staws if you like. At no point was Basso in control of the ball and to suggest the goal should of been disallowed is nonsense.

If you like.

Noble and Trunds aren't in the team because they don't fit the mould of a GJ 'type' of player. e.g. Run around alot.

Stern did better the last few time's out but suffers as the rest of the strikers do with poor service from midfield. LJ= :superman::tumbleweed:

Have a good one.

Not touchy, just don't see the problem with bringing this up, its a football relatd topic on a football forum, and it concerns Bristol City.....

Personally, I think it should have stood.....HOWEVER rules clearly state, that you don't need to have both hands on the ball. Some referee's have even considered having one finger in the ball, as having it under control.

Common sense says it should have stood....be OFFICIAL RULES say it shouldnt have stood. Whether these rules are right or not....thats a different matter

Not touchy, just don't see the problem with bringing this up, its a football relatd topic on a football forum, and it concerns Bristol City.....

Personally, I think it should have stood.....HOWEVER rules clearly state, that you don't need to have both hands on the ball. Some referee's have even considered having one finger in the ball, as having it under control.

Common sense says it should have stood....be OFFICIAL RULES say it shouldnt have stood. Whether these rules are right or not....thats a different matter

I take your point.

It's okay saying it's in the rules but the referee has to see it to implement them. No way would the referee of seen Basso beat RM to the ball by a fraction on the day hence why the decision was the right one at the time.

Great! in hindsight we now realise that in fact Basso did get there first so what do you suggest we do, appeal? Do you want ot go down the route of video replays and slowing weverything down so evey decision is contested!

And remember if Basso does his job it goes out for a corner and the referee dosen't have decision to make.

I take your point.

It's okay saying it's in the rules but the referee has to see it to implement them. No way would the referee of seen Basso beat RM to the ball by a fraction on the day hence why the decision was the right one at the time.

Great! in hindsight we now realise that in fact Basso did get there first so what do you suggest we do, appeal? Do you want ot go down the route of video replays and slowing weverything down so evey decision is contested!

And remember if Basso does his job it goes out for a corner and the referee dosen't have decision to make.

So you're advocating not talking about things that happen in Bristol City's football matches on this forum?

Looking at the bigger picture, we've thrown a hell of a lot of points away in the last minutes of many games this season. All those lost points could have equated to us gaining automatic promotion.

cant be bothered to check stats but I think Its only in last 4 games or so we have started the worrying trend of losing late goals

Until Brum we only conceeded one all season in the last 10 mins or somat like that

So you're advocating not talking about things that happen in Bristol City's football matches on this forum?

Not at all.

There was a similar thread on the forum already so didn't see the point in starting new one and banging on about it Edson.

It was a good goal and we just needed to move on and not start multiple threads- they're to be saved for Lee Johnson!

(Joke)

Not at all.

There was a similar thread on the forum already so didn't see the point in starting new one and banging on about it Edson.

It was a good goal and we just needed to move on and not start multiple threads- they're to be saved for Lee Johnson!

(Joke)

The other thread is about Basso and touched on whether the goal should have stood. This one is specifically about that law of the game and is a point people want to discuss.

If it doesn't interest you, read something else.

If only it was a joke. But I will bear in mind that you want threads about the same subject removed from the forum.

Twas a goal I'm affraid, Basso only had one hand on it and maybe should have punched it out for a corner, but hinsight is a wonderfull thing

The new rules are that if you have one hand on the ball and its touching the ground - you are in possesion of the ball. It therefore should not have been a goal.

Get over it!

It was a goal

I am a Ref 29 years, You must have two hands on the ball.

All Basso had to do was push the ball out for a corner. God knows why he didn't!!!!!

He is a great Keeper, and has to hold his hands up and except it was his fault

I'm also a ref and hes spot on.........you gotta have two hands on the ball

further down the page from this fifa rule book, page 111,

the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from him, for example, after he has made a save

since he'd just made a save, it seems it wasn't out of his control and the goal was given correctly.

besides, if it had been unfairly given no doubt Johnson would have mentioned that he felt it was unfair in the post match interview or since re-watching the game, which he hasn't.

further down the page from this fifa rule book, page 111,

the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from him, for example, after he has made a save

since he'd just made a save, it seems it wasn't out of his control and the goal was given correctly.

besides, if it had been unfairly given no doubt Johnson would have mentioned that he felt it was unfair in the post match interview or since re-watching the game, which he hasn't.

Doing the first save Basso was not in control of the ball as it "rebounds accidentally from him". He then put his left hand on the ball (second save) being in control of the ball as it is between glove and grass.

In fact; at the same time Basso put his glove on the ball the Cardiff players left foot was closer to ball and his scoring right foot more than 50 cm. away.

If the first save was a "deliberate parry" Basso was in control of the ball and being it a second time putting his glove on the ball Cardiff should have been awarded an indirect free kick.

Er...this game was 3 days ago...it finished 1-1. The goal was given and that was the final score at the end of the game...

Intresting debate...but only to a certain point.

Exactly. Lets leave the Premier League style bleating to the current Premier League clubs. I don't even think the award of the goal was remotely controversial and would be able to understand this type of topic a lot more had we scored a similar goal and it had been disallowed - then you would have something to cry about.

Archived