IGNORED

Skuse To Stoke?

City Ben

excellent man management skills or not, it's going to get to a point one day where both elliott and Skuse want to be regular starters and considering skuse's recent excellent form, he deserves his chance.

unfortunately one will have to go and it's going to be tough decision to make, despite everyone wanting to keep both player

Personally I'd let Elliott move on hopefully for a big fee.

excellent man management skills or not, it's going to get to a point one day where both elliott and Skuse want to be regular starters and considering skuse's recent excellent form, he deserves his chance.

unfortunately one will have to go and it's going to be tough decision to make, despite everyone wanting to keep both player

I agree that things may come to a head and the chances are either Skuse or Marv. will probably move on in the medium future.

Mind you both players pick up their share of injuries, often seemingly playing through them, so maybe they just provide cover for each other over a season.

It may make sense to cash in on the best offer providing a competent, improving understudy for the one left behind has already been signed and we can use the money to improve the squad as a whole.

Despite the increasing interest in Skuse, that "best offer" would probably be for Marvin.

I tend to agree.

Its not about playing ability for me though (incidentally - I think Skuse is a much better passer of the ball), but it is to do with the long term future of our midfield.

Skuse is much more likely to stay with us if we don't get promotion in a couple of seasons as he is a Bristol lad, whereas Marv, bless him, doesn't have the long term affinity with our Club that Cole does.

And if we sell Cole to keep Marv, in a season or two we could see Marv leave as well.

What interests me in all of this is that he is being linked with Prem teams for the second time now (albeit low end Prem teams, I grant you). This says to me that he has a decent reputation in football circles. Coppell and Mowbray know their footballers. (Stoke... well, they are where they are purely by chance in my view :noexpression: )

However, he is not universally loved by us. Is there something we as fans are missing?

For me its either skuse or elliott, unless we play with a fairly defensive 3 man midfield. And its Elliott for me everytime, so therefore I don't think skuse will stay here long term.

But i'm not advocating he is dropped when ME comes back, as he does not deserve that.

Why's that, Skuse can pass the ball sideways, we could teach him to waste free kicks and corners too, that way he can play with Elliot in the middle :innocent06:

However, he is not universally loved by us. Is there something we as fans are missing?

Skuse is pretty well appreciated ( he's got his own chant for instance ) and I know one or two City fans who have completely changed their former negative opinion of him recently.

In the past he's been seen as 'one for the future', and a filler-in for various regulars in a number of positions.

He's now benefitting from an extended run in what he would now probably consider his best position ( I think his debut was in central defence) and has taken the opportunity to prove he has come of age as a Championship midfielder.

Marvin is very tough competition though and is seen as a super hero amongst many City fans, so however well he plays Skuse must be fearing for his place when he is fit again.

Why's that, Skuse can pass the ball sideways, we could teach him to waste free kicks and corners too, that way he can play with Elliot in the middle :innocent06:

Well, you cant argue that ME & LJ have been the most successful partnership since we came up. And when Skuse took his place alongside ME against stoke last season, we looked shocking against a team that was there for the taking.

Keeping players happy in a quality squad full of talent where competition & back up for places is essential means that players cant always feature in your starting line-up.. it is a man-management problem & a test of a good club & set up.

We're no longer an average League One team, or even a struggling Championship one, we are establishing ourselves as serious Championship contenders & knocking on the Premier League door (PL still bit soon for us yet, I think, but with sustained improvement I reckon next year or the one after we'll be ready).

First point of the importance of keeping quality players happy when they're not automatic starters has been demonstrated already this season.. by the two players featuring in this thread.. ie: one very important player gets injured -Elliott, & we have an able replacement in Skuse, if it wasnt for our backup in Elliotts position who really thinks we'd be in play-off contention still?...

How will we do during Careys suspension? -similar situation with a key player missing, someones gotta do the job, injuries/suspensions, lack of form crop up throughout a season....& without quality cover a good season can go pearshaped in no time.

Its not an either/or situation with Elliott & Skuse... WE NEED THEM BOTH.... & we need similar cover for ALL positions if we're going to continue our improvement, realise our Premier League ambitions & have half a chance of staying there when we make it.

We need strength in depth now & we'll certainly need it then.

It costs money to keep everyone in a squad happy & it needs some bloody good man-management too... if we've got it we can keep our good 'cover' players & continue our consolidation & improvement... overlook the umberellas when the suns shining & any team will suffer when it starts to rain. Loans sometimes patch things up but in house cover is always the best policy... imo.

Stay where you are Cole, we need you & more like you.. better to be an important & valued squad player at a good club thats going places than a fixture at a club going nowhere. :fingerscrossed:

since his run in the team I reckon Skuse has become a key performer for us, and he can pick a pass too. If we are going with the 352, skuse and marv in midfield with one other would be very strong. I specifically remember the blackpool game and he almost bossed the game as far as I can remember before getting crocked, including picking up possession deep under pressure and beating 3 of their lot before laying off a pass. All of a sudden the penny has dropped, he has scored a few goals and he wont be coming cheap.

If Skuse continues to improve at the rate we've seen lately I see absolutely no reason why he can't partner Marvin Elliot in the centre of midfield, taking over from Lee Johnson.

Skuse needs to develop his game for sure but he's clearly got a good eye for a pass, can tackle very well and is remarkably strong and fast. With time I think he could do Lee Johnson's job with the added benefit of being much taller and stronger.

I would like to see Skuse and Elliot in a 3 man central midfield with Williams given a license to thrill in a free role behind the strikers

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.Basso

,.,.,.,,.Carey, McCombe, Fontaine

Orr,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,McCallister

,.,.,.,.,,.,Skuse,.,.,.,.,.,,.Elliot

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,Williams

,.,.,.,.,.Maynard,.,.,.,Adebola

At home you could be more offensive and play McIndoe instead of McCallister

Stokie here

I am sure that there is absolutely NOTHING in this story whatsover, the sun in any case is an absolute rag of a paper that isn't even fit to use as toilet paper..they cannot get even basic facts right when they state that Skuse is a Stoke fan so what chance of anything else being right?

Anyway, Stoke do not need any more established (or not quite established?) championship players. Pulis has already signed loads of these and they don't get anywhere near the team (Andrew Davies from Southampton, Seyi Olofinjana from Wolves, Tom Soares from Crystal Palace, Michael Tonge from Sheff Utd, Dave Kitson from Reading) so he would be an idiot if he try to sign any more!

A couple of points though- Stoke are not as likely to come straight back down as you may think. The run in is really good - no top 6 teams to play apart from Arsenal away on the last day and we still have Blackburn, Boro, and Newcastle to come to the Brit. The other point is - I grant you that we are low end prem, but the way that the game is structured do you honestly think that there is much chance anymore of clubs like Stoke and West Brom and a host of others ever achieving anything more? And its a bit pompous and deluded to think that City would ever be anything more than this either isn't it?

Mike

Thats heightist and strengthist :disapointed2se:

As someone who is 5'6" in height and barely 10st in weight I will always stick up for the little guy.

Unfortunately the English leagues are played in such a style that given two players of roughly equal ability the taller, stronger, faster one will almost always do better.

Of course it is possible for the little guy to succeed - Roy Keane had some excellent battles with Patrick Viera for instance, and Zola was simply brilliant - but I think there's little doubt that being taller is generally an advantage.

As someone who is 5'6" in height and barely 10st in weight I will always stick up for the little guy.

Unfortunately the English leagues are played in such a style that given two players of roughly equal ability the taller, stronger, faster one will almost always do better.

Of course it is possible for the little guy to succeed - Roy Keane had some excellent battles with Patrick Viera for instance, and Zola was simply brilliant - but I think there's little doubt that being taller is generally an advantage.

Little guy? Keane is just shy of 6ft tall!

Back to the issue, Skuse's form this season has been good enough to merit a starting place, I like the look of Gavin Williams a lot and just wish we could get him, Elliott and Skuse all fit at the same time as there would then be genuine quality competition for midfield places.

If he continues with his current form and doesn't get to start games in future I'd understand completely why Cole would think about moving on.

With Skuse's passing ability I can't see why a partnership with him and Elliott couldn't work, either, it would enable Marvin to get forward more and would be strong aerially, Petit and Vieira worked at Arsenal and although clearly of a higher standard that was a similar type of combination.

But he'll just walk into a Premier League midfield?

Possibably not but that doesn't mean he won't take the move if the offer came his way whilst vastly increasing his wages in the process. Like I said he's been here for heck of a long time and is arguebly playing his best football, if he still has to play second fiddle to Johnson and Co. it make's complete sense he'll look to try his hand else where.

Players need to be man-managed, especially when they're not in the team, and you only have to look at our team spirit to know that we have that in abundance, suggesting GJ manages situations like this very well.

Well that what we're told anyway!

Also do you honestly believe Skuse is going to just sit around forever whilst Johnson 'manages him' ? Skuse should be saying play me or lose me. He'll be 23 next week so needs to be playing regular football.

I see no reason why Skuse couldn't feel Lee Johnson boots, I don't see anything LJ does that Cole couldn't, then you'd have the added bonus of having extra pace in your midfield as well as someone who can stick their foot in. I know this would never happen under Gary Johnson hence why I think in time we'll lose Cole .

Still don't see why its percieved as a straight Skuse for Elliott swap. I think Elliott is an attack minded player with not a bad scoring record who has had to adjust his game to cater for the strenghts and weaknesses or other players. Put him alongside Skuse for a period of games, who appears to have come of age this season and I think Elliotts goal threat would increase considerably.

I also don't see how anyone can say that the midfield set up pre Elliotts injury was anything but defensive. Only Elliott and Williams of late have shown an ability to consitantly get into the final third......in my opinion of course.

Still don't see why its percieved as a straight Skuse for Elliott swap. I think Elliott is an attack minded player with not a bad scoring record who has had to adjust his game to cater for the strenghts and weaknesses or other players. Put him alongside Skuse for a period of games, who appears to have come of age this season and I think Elliotts goal threat would increase considerably.

I also don't see how anyone can say that the midfield set up pre Elliotts injury was anything but defensive. Only Elliott and Williams of late have shown an ability to consitantly get into the final third......in my opinion of course.

I actually agree with that. Most seem to view Elliot as the defensive midfielder, but I think he's a bit of an all rounder, likes to get in the box etc. and has to 'adjust his game' like you say TFTF, to be more defensive. He can can do the job of 'defensive midfielder', as we have seen, but a midfield of Skuse and Elliot could work, with Elliot being able to express himself more going forward. I've been trying to think of a way to say this for a while, but have failed, but the whole 'adjusting to cater for others strengths and weaknesses' thing is good!

I actually agree with that. Most seem to view Elliot as the defensive midfielder, but I think he's a bit of an all rounder, likes to get in the box etc. and has to 'adjust his game' like you say TFTF, to be more defensive. He can can do the job of 'defensive midfielder', as we have seen, but a midfield of Skuse and Elliot could work, with Elliot being able to express himself more going forward. I've been trying to think of a way to say this for a while, but have failed, but the whole 'adjusting to cater for others strengths and weaknesses' thing is good!

Exactly he is a genuine box to box player who is anything but defensive sure he likes a tackle but for those of us that have watched Super Marv for any length of time will tell you he is a threat in the air and on the floor in and around the opponents box and to call him simply a defensive player is to misunderstand and not appreciate the blokes talent.

Skuse as someone else posted also has genuine mobility and whilst perhaps needs to improve in front of goal can be a massive pressence closing down players in the busy midfield area, some thing LJ and McIndoe of late have shown not to be best suited.

People have to but the predjudice to one side and be honest enough to see what each player brings to the table and how it could improve the side. It would be a massive waste for the like of Skuse Elliott and Williams to have to continue to fit in as and when becuase they have genuine talent that should not be wasted or diluted. Contriversial view point may be but I've watched enough to be able to justify that conclusion.

Stoke look set to beat West Brom and Reading to the signing of Bristol City midfielder Cole Skuse. (The Sun)

http://news.BBC.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/g...ers/7952009.stm

Quite surprised to read this this morning. I rate him highly, and as others have commented I really do think that he's "stepped up" when we needed him to, since Elliot's injury.

That said, I've always been surprised at the rumours surrounding him. It was Reading last time, when they were in the Prem. Seems he is much higher rated than those outside the club than those closest to it.

Anyone got any ideas on his contract? Is it up at the end of the season?

I would hate to see Cole end up with Pullis he has had his best season ever and is my Player of the Year.

I would like to see Skuse and Elliot in a 3 man central midfield with Williams given a license to thrill in a free role behind the strikers

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.Basso

,.,.,.,,.Carey, McCombe, Fontaine

Orr,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,McCallister

,.,.,.,.,,.,Skuse,.,.,.,.,.,,.Elliot

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,Williams

,.,.,.,.,.Maynard,.,.,.,Adebola

At home you could be more offensive and play McIndoe instead of McCallister

I agree with that formation, I like the look of it a lot. Have been saying something similar for a while.

The only change I'd make is Brian Wilson for Orr, as I'd think he'd make a better right wing back. Bradley is a great defender and fine in a flat back four, but not as good pushing forward.

I'd also have Skuse sitting in front of the defence alone and push Elliott further forward, alongside Williams. He can shoot and head, and gets in some good attacking positions.

Definitely true especially if you're a centre half or a target man forward.

If you're short you would have probably learned there is little point challenging for 50/50 headers by now, but a clever player will always find a way to outwit the more physical player, Zola was an excellent example of this and there are more.

Cashly Cole is minute, is he 5ft 3in or something? Lee Johnson would totally dwarf him! Claude Makalayle(sp?) is another sub-minature dwarf, so was Roberto Carlos.

Nobby Stiles had undoubted success despite being 5ft 5in. What about Sammy Lee, didn't he play a dwarf in Lord of The Rings hes so tiny? he can't be taller than 5ft.

I guess its not the size that counts its what you do with it

If you're short you would have probably learned there is little point challenging for 50/50 headers by now, but a clever player will always find a way to outwit the more physical player, Zola was an excellent example of this and there are more.

Cashly Cole is minute, is he 5ft 3in or something? Lee Johnson would totally dwarf him! Claude Makalayle(sp?) is another sub-minature dwarf, so was Roberto Carlos.

Nobby Stiles had undoubted success despite being 5ft 5in. What about Sammy Lee, didn't he play a dwarf in Lord of The Rings hes so tiny? he can't be taller than 5ft.

I did'nt think AC was small, I just checked, he is 5ft 9.

I agree - Matt Hill is another example: a decent centre-half despite standing just 5'8".

However, all the players you mention compensate for their size by being really good at football and you surely must agree that if two players are of roughly the same standard but one is bigger, stronger and faster then the little guy will probably come off second best?

I agree - Matt Hill is another example: a decent centre-half despite standing just 5'8".

However, all the players you mention compensate for their size by being really good at football and you surely must agree that if two players are of roughly the same standard but one is bigger, stronger and faster then the little guy will probably come off second best?

Leon Britton at Swansea?

Louis isn't the tallest of centre halves is he?

Would love to see a midfield of Skusey and Marv but that one game he did do that everyone winged it wasn't creative enough.

Marv scores about 5 a season and Skuse and Marv don't get enough credit for their passing ability.

Don't want to turn this into a 'i hate LJ' thread but i think Skuse is:

*Faster

*More Determined

*Stronger

*More intimidating for the opposition

*Better fitness levels

*Stronger in the challenge

*Started getting into the box more

*Younger

*Better chant ;)

*He's Bristolian! One of the reasons i love Louis so much is knowing that he grew up right on our doorstep.

Leon Britton at Swansea?

Louis isn't the tallest of centre halves is he?

Would love to see a midfield of Skusey and Marv but that one game he did do that everyone winged it wasn't creative enough.

Marv scores about 5 a season and Skuse and Marv don't get enough credit for their passing ability.

Much as I like Marv, I would say his "passing ability" gets pretty much the credit it deserves.....

Archived