IGNORED

Frankie Artus

GrahamC

reporter at cheltenham for sky just said, artus who all ready scored one, just created his own chance with sheer magic.

GET HIM BACK

Let me tell you this mate , he aint good enough for a championship midfield mark my words ( defo not yet and his times running out for him I'm afraid )

Let me tell you this mate , he aint good enough for a championship midfield mark my words ( defo not yet and his times running out for him I'm afraid )

What makes you say that, considering you've never seen him play a championship game?

Just wondering as the few times I've seen him play in the reserves he's been the best player on the pitch, obviously it's not the same standard but thats playing along side some players who are in our championship team and imo he outshone them.

Great opportunity for some first team experience and hope to see him break into our 1st team at some point.

My feelings exactly.

He was never going to make the squad this season, so like with Akinde it's great to send him out to experience the pressures and pace of first team football.

Let's just hope he stays fit for Chelts run in, gets a few more games and adds to our squad this summer.

What makes you say that, considering you've never seen him play a championship game?

Just wondering as the few times I've seen him play in the reserves he's been the best player on the pitch, obviously it's not the same standard but thats playing along side some players who are in our championship team and imo he outshone them.

I agree, think he does stand out in the reserves - bit of flair and a real battler. He's been unlucky with his loans so far, hope it works out at Cheltenham. but to suggest bringing him back is ridiculous.

Martin Allen is quoted in the local press this morning as saying he would like to sign Artus permanantly at the end of the season.

Had tried to get him before but couldn't afford him, but the price came down on Sunday.

Can read that one of two ways - either lowering the price was to give Frankie the chance to impress GJ before the end of the season and earn a new contract at City, or a way of getting him out of the way and earning a move somewhere else with a loan spell. I'm guessing the latter in this case........

Martin Allen is quoted in the local press this morning as saying he would like to sign Artus permanantly at the end of the season.

Had tried to get him before but couldn't afford him, but the price came down on Sunday.

Can read that one of two ways - either lowering the price was to give Frankie the chance to impress GJ before the end of the season and earn a new contract at City, or a way of getting him out of the way and earning a move somewhere else with a loan spell. I'm guessing the latter in this case........

I would be surprised if Martin Allen is at Cheltenham next season - I really hope Frankie fulfills his potential wherever that may be though.

One of the best young midfielders in the country until he dropped into the black hole that is Bristol City Under 18's.

I would be surprised if Martin Allen is at Cheltenham next season - I really hope Frankie fulfills his potential wherever that may be though.

One of the best young midfielders in the country until he dropped into the black hole that is Bristol City Under 18's.

Valid point mate, he may well be getting ideas above his station right now!

Never seen Artus live, seems to split opinion on here.

Valid point mate, he may well be getting ideas above his station right now!

Never seen Artus live, seems to split opinion on here.

I've only seen Artus a couple of times, but he's looked impressive on each occasion.

Not sure his talent is in doubt, more a case of whether he has the physical requirements for this level, plus a niggling problem with repetitive injuries.

At his age he has the difficult task of convincing GJ he is now ready to be a genuine, immediate challenger to established Championship midfielders in Elliot, Williams, Johnson and Skuse.

Shame if he's hit a dead end at City because he looks a good all round midfielder with the added bonus of being a regular goal threat.

Lets not forget that this is not the first time he has been out on loan.

He has been to quite a few Conference clubs, including Exeter last season, and not been able to command a regular starting place anywhere.

if he was one of the best in the country surely he would have played for England at youth level

He has been to quite a few Conference clubs, including Exeter last season, and not been able to command a regular starting place anywhere.

It could be argued that the type of football played at the lower levels doesn't suit his style.

I agree with the point about bridging the gap between the academy and the 1st team made earlier in this thread though. We have found that it difficult to progress players since the days we dropped out of the Football Combination. Playing Forest Green Reserves and the like is not going to do it for us, the level of competition is too low, too similar and too little too often. the fact that so many other games have to be arranged "behind closed doors" proves that and shows that the Management recognise the fact.

It's a challenge that needs a solution from somewhere.

His problem isn't ability or getting a chance, it's a persistent niggly injury which may have finally cleared up.

That isnt correct. He hasnt been at quite a few conference clubs. And not correct to say he wasnt able to command a regular place.

He's been at Exeter, where he played regularly until injured.

Has been at Brentford, where he played regularly until injured.

Has been at Kettering, where he played every game of his loan spell.

Now at Cheltenham, where Martin Allen said he'd been chasing Frankie for a while because he's a good player.

I said on this forum earlier this season that if GJ isnt going to play Noble - which clearly he isnt if ever that was in doubt -Frankie and Cole Skuse could be our best bet for central midfield in the long term. I still think that.

His problem isn't ability or getting a chance, it's a persistent niggly injury which may have finally cleared up.

Which is quite common and not an indicator of poor ability - I recall Steven Gerrard having something similar when he was in his teens / twenties and some saying he'd never be out of it.

Personally, I'm getting a little excited about him (albeit with a long way to go yet).

Bristol Boy through and through, ask him who is favourtie player of all time is and he'll tell you Tommy Doc. Played against Cardiff City Reserves a year or so ago, ran the game, got his face smash up, lost a tooth, kept going a scored a couple of goals, one a cracking diving header. He is a super midfielder and is definately worth giving him the opportunity to shine in our first team squad.

But in fairness, I have been saying this about him for a couple of years!

if he was one of the best in the country surely he would have played for England at youth level

Not necessarily - they can only pick so many can't they?

Maybe an extreme example but Steve Bruce was one of the best centre halves in the country and never got a look in for England.

He's doing well, fair play to the lad.

I really hope Yeovil stay in League 1 next year so we can loan them a few players, we have several players who need to get a season's league games under there belt.

Henderson

Ribeiro

Wilson

Artus

Akinde

GJ has to decide whether these players are going to feature often enough that it is not dentrimental to there future. I would like to see all of the above get either half or full season long loans in a decent division plus being able to train with us for half the week.

He's doing well, fair play to the lad.

I really hope Yeovil stay in League 1 next year so we can loan them a few players, we have several players who need to get a season's league games under there belt.

Henderson

Ribeiro

Wilson

Artus

Akinde

GJ has to decide whether these players are going to feature often enough that it is not dentrimental to there future. I would like to see all of the above get either half or full season long loans in a decent division plus being able to train with us for half the week.

I'd prefer to see us minimise signings and blood these guys in the Championship next season - that looks like a decent bench to me. We'd then reap rewards the following year - look at Cardiff now, for example.

I am very impressed with Artus, and his 2 goals in the last week, and I am hoping that if GJ was of the opinion that he was to be moved on, he might now reconsider him. If it does transpire that the play offs are out of reach, I would be very happy to see a few of the kiddies mentioned above given starts this season. Giving John, Trundle and Noble games, for example, would be a waste of time.

I'd prefer to see us minimise signings and blood these guys in the Championship next season - that looks like a decent bench to me. We'd then reap rewards the following year - look at Cardiff now, for example.

I agree to an extent but if there not going to play or just get the odd game then send them out on loan and let them get 20 or 30 games under there belt so that they come back to us as better players.

Some of these players are at a point where just sitting on the bench or in the stands will inhibit there development, lets get them playing so they can come back and force there way into our side.

Henderson currently has to dislodge Basso and Weale

Ribeiro has B.Wilson and Orr in front of him

Artus - Elliot, Johnson, Skuse, Williams

J.Wilson - Carey, McCombe, Fontaine, Ireikpen

Akinde - John, Trundle, Maynard, Adebola, Styvaar

I agree to an extent but if there not going to play or just get the odd game then send them out on loan and let them get 20 or 30 games under there belt so that they come back to us as better players.

Some of these players are at a point where just sitting on the bench or in the stands will inhibit there development, lets get them playing so they can come back and force there way into our side.

Henderson currently has to dislodge Basso and Weale

3 good keepers is one too many. A decision needs to be made - one answer may be to sell Basso :o and promote Weale to no.1, leaving Henderson as understudy.

Ribeiro has B.Wilson and Orr in front of him

B.Wilson's best position may well be in midfield. If Ribeiro is as good as we all hope, and is fully fit, then he should be challenging Orr from the off next season.

Artus - Elliot, Johnson, Skuse, Williams

If Artus can finally put his niggling injuries behind him then there's no reason why his present loan at Cheltenham cannot be the catalyst for him to make a serious challenge to all of the above. He seems to be a natural all-round midfielder and the extra goals he could provide from that area would be a massive boost to the team.

J.Wilson - Carey, McCombe, Fontaine, Ireikpen

Not sure we'll keep Iriekpen, especially if James Wilson is as good as we're led to believe. He has every right to expect to at least regularly fill in for Ist choice absentees next season.

Akinde - John, Trundle, Maynard, Adebola, Styvaar

Trundle and John probably won't be at AG next season. Akinde is making a strong case to being equally as high up the remaining pecking order as Peter Styvar.

These lads are all old enough and, we are told, good enough to play occasional first team games when required and hold that place if their performance then justifies it. The recently promoted academy lads - Stambolsiev, Kington, Jackson and Edwards may be the one's who will more benefit themselves and the club from being loaned out next season.

I've exchanged conversations with some of you about Frankie and I've always supported him and put his name forward.

Over the past 3 seasons Frankie we were assured was the second coming, better than sliced bread, could score, tackle, pass, head and generally win us a game with the aid of a pork pie and a spotty dog.

Then the rumours started. Frankie liked the lager and was out on the town. Frankie was a sick note and could not put more than 3 games together without injury. Frankie was too slow, not strong enough, it was a physical thing. Then he virtually vanished from hero to zero ?

Without the rumours, Frankie has always showed promise and his bio shows 6ft around 13 stone and not fat, as seen in the pre season photos, an athletic build.

A previous poster mentioned Gerrard, and yes, some younger players do have injuries brought on by growing and serious training, a sports physio told me that one. Frankie turns 21 this year and I hope GJ gives him a new contract. A tough tackling midfielder who can head, pass and score would be very welcome, especially if Elliot does go to another club.

Archived