IGNORED

Frankie Artus

GrahamC

Based on what has been achieved with him playing in one of the most influential positions in the team (promotion and play offs), LJ has to be considered one of the most influential players we have had since we last achieved promotion.....surely?

I never said I would play LJ ahead of Artus did I?

No you didn't but I assumed as you hold LJ in such high regard you wouldn't drop him for a youngster regardless of how much promise he's shown?

Oh, you're trying to turn an unrelated thread into a Lee Johnson slagging session.

I'm in shock here.

Eat some more Chocolate and suck on sugar cubes, the sugar will calm your nerves and help with the shock. ;)

No you didn't but I assumed as you hold LJ in such high regard you wouldn't drop him for a youngster regardless of how much promise he's shown?

Then you would be incorrect in assuming such.

The point that I have tried to get across about LJ, is that I personally do not think he is the greatest player I have ever seen, not the best midfielder we have at the club, but equally we cannot be blind to the fact that he must play a postive influential role in our team, given the success that we have acheived in recent years with LJ playing a centre midfield role. Midfielders have come and gone over the last ten years or however long since our last promotion, and none of them achieved as much as LJ has helped achieved in the last three years......does this not make sense?

If you check my posts regarding Artus, you will realise that I have been calling for his inclusion in the first team squad for about two years!

What a goal! I really think it will be a big mistake if we don't give this lad a contract. I know its only league one but I don't seem to recall either Skuse or LJ having rave reviews like that when they were in league one plus you have to remember hes playing for the worst team in the league!

There is differnce between saying LJ has played a influential role in the past 3 years and saying LJ is one of the most influential players for Bristol City in the past 10 years....

That's a fair point. I suppose what I was eluding to is that if he was influentital in the past three seasons, then he must count as one of the most influental midfielders we have had in the last ten years, as we achieved more in the last three seasons than in the previous ten years......

I suppose it comes down to whether an 'influence' can be judged by success....perhaps yes perhaps no....?!

just seen frankies 2 goals for cheltenham on virginmedia. From the short highlights, both goals show a definite quality about him. whether we keep him or not I'm sure he's got a decent career ahead of him. id keep him a little longer and see what comes of him.

look at skusey, for the last few seasons people have been writing him off waiting for him to move on and he's eventually coming good...

just seen frankies 2 goals for cheltenham on virginmedia. From the short highlights, both goals show a definite quality about him. whether we keep him or not I'm sure he's got a decent career ahead of him. id keep him a little longer and see what comes of him.

look at skusey, for the last few seasons people have been writing him off waiting for him to move on and he's eventually coming good...

Getting way ahead of myself of course but wouldn't it be nice to see two local lads driving midfield in the coming years.

Right oh my first reply for ages, haven't been on for a while!!!

I would agree with an earlier poster and that if we don't win the next two that we should start playing some of the reserves/ youth team. Be good to see them in action, perhaps find out if they got a bit of quality about them for the championship. Plus if if they perform well the "stars" they replaced might start thinking they've got a challenge for their place and then perform better themselves. :whistle2:

Would be nice to see artus play for city in the championship, personally i reckon he could do a job there its just if gary thinks he can!!! :fingerscrossed::sign09:

If Artus continues to show the form he has started with at Cheltenham then the least GJ can do in my opinion is have a look at the boy at Championship level once the inevitable happens and we are out of the pray-off picture. If he proves that he can't hack it then fair enough, release the boy. But when I hear ex-pro's who have played at the top level talking about the lad having fantastic quality on the ball then it makes me think the boy can play - he then goes to a struggling bottom of the table team a league below us and appears to have "run the show" both times he has played - no disrespect intended but NOBODY in our midfield ever "ran" a game in our League 1 promotion season. People like Martin Allen and Steve Perryman may not have had rip roaring success as managers but nobody will convince me that they don't know a bit of quality when it turns up on their doorstep.

How many players in our midfield can strike a ball the way Artus did on Saturday? It may "only" have been Walsall's goalkeeper he was up against (who, lets face it, is still a pro and therefore won't be a mug) but you still have to have ability and technique to strike a ball like that.

I don't believe the full Frankie Artus story is in this thread.

He is older than Ribiero, J Wilson and Akinde. Skuse, Myrie Williams and Cotterill had all made their first team debut in their teens. Artus is 21 this year and I cannot believe that GJ has missed the talent we are all talking about. Its a two edged sword for me. Either Artus fell out with GJ by breaking a rule and GJ has had him on punishment /probation for a season to see if he could get his head down, or in fact Artus is indeed a late developer who has had growing pains/injuries.

Artus went away to our pre season camp, played in a few friendlies, then dropped out of contention to become a loanee. Its been a wasted season, very few loan matches and some reserve matches. GJ would have seen him at training for 2 seasons and I don't recall a favourable comment from GJ giving the fans any indication of if he rates him.

Suddenly Artus scores 2 from 2 playing midfield in division 1, getting good reviews. I'me not convinced that GJ has him in the frame. Artus is a Bristol boy, is soon out of contract and the way I see it, he will have to really maintain his good form to be considered for another contract at Championship level. The whole story does not sit with this old fan...waiting ?

Oh yes, as a footnote, the girls just love Frankie. My grand niece and friends 17-19 were discussing him over Christmas, he was voted the clubs number 1 hunk.

Guest Eamer

I've seen him on a couple of occasions and he's really stood out on each occasion. Both times I saw him were for the reserves so he was playing alongside some players who were around the outskirts of the firstteam. I remember him playing one game that had the likes of Jevons and Showunmi playing and it was him and Nick Dunn who were the outstanding players.

Brilliant couple of goals for Cheltenham too. The second one was stunning. Might have to go watch Cheltenham to see how he's getting on as I go to Uni about a mile or so from Whaddon Road.

Gary Johnson has confirmed in his Preston prematch interview that Frankie Artus will be offered a new contract.

That's excellent news, and well done to Frankie as I suspect his form for Cheltenham over the last couple of games has made GJ's mind up.

Will he accept the contract though? I suspect there would be a lot of L1 & 2 clubs interested in him too

That's excellent news, and well done to Frankie as I suspect his form for Cheltenham over the last couple of games has made GJ's mind up.

I'm pretty sure that that decision was made a long time ago and it was never in doubt that he'd be offered a new contract. Nobody at the club doubts his ability, he'd have had a chance at the first team by now had he not suffered from niggly injuries.

I'm pretty sure that that decision was made a long time ago and it was never in doubt that he'd be offered a new contract.

Not so sure about that from what I've heard this week, from more than one BCFC employee, not helped by a few unfounded and exaggerated rumours.

I think Cheltenham has come just in time for Frankie, I just hope he's offered a decent contract and opportunities in the first team, he is a fantastic talent.

I think Cheltenham has come just in time for Frankie, I just hope he's offered a decent contract and opportunities in the first team, he is a fantastic talent.

I would obviously hope he's offered a decent wage on which to live but I would be surprised if his contract offer is anything much above the minimum in either wage, length or both. He still has a lot to prove and Gary Johnson quite rightly believes that a player should be motivated by the challenge of playing at the highest level possible - therefore if he wants to go to a lower club on more money so be it because he's not one for us if he does.

I would obviously hope he's offered a decent wage on which to live but I would be surprised if his contract offer is anything much above the minimum in either wage, length or both. He still has a lot to prove and Gary Johnson quite rightly believes that a player should be motivated by the challenge of playing at the highest level possible - therefore if he wants to go to a lower club on more money so be it because he's not one for us if he does.

Wouldnt disagree with that though it does also depend on the pay differential if he has more than one offer.

Also depends on what he thinks his chances of first team opportunities are.

I saw him when he was playing for Exeter earlier this season and in a team that passes the ball well and rarely resorts to hoofball, he looked very comfortable. With luck he'll have a decent pre-season and armed with a contract will be challenging for a midfield place.

I also hope Artus stays and gets the chance to make an impact in the first team squad.

I have not looked at the relevant World interview yet but I'm just wondering . . . we wouldn't just be offering him a contract to make sure he can't leave on a free would we?

I'm a bit hazy on how it works when a player is under 24.

On a more positive note, he was quoted in the WDP saying he wanted to earn a new contract at City and how he lives near AG and all the family are fans etc. so here's hoping.

I also hope Artus stays and gets the chance to make an impact in the first team squad.

I have not looked at the relevant World interview yet but I'm just wondering . . . we wouldn't just be offering him a contract to make sure he can't leave on a free would we?

I'm a bit hazy on how it works when a player is under 24.

On a more positive note, he was quoted in the WDP saying he wanted to earn a new contract at City and how he lives near AG and all the family are fans etc. so here's hoping.

As I understand it players under 24 can't leave on a free if they've been offered a contract on at least the terms they were on before.

As I stated previously, I doubt that he will have been offered anything much above what he was on before as he's proved nothing yet. If he's offered the minimum and refuses then he's probably not the sort of player Johnson wants. After all if you're not motivated by the idea of playing in the Championship or potentially higher for your home town team, what are you motivated by?

So Artus has been offered a contract ? He and his family live near the Gate and are City fans.

In theory that suits Frankie, his family, me and most of you. So whats in front of him, or rather who is in front of him.

Noble is out of contract, out of favour and out of here. Elliot is rumoured to be out of here, he wants Premier League football, so why not.

That leaves Skuse, LJ and Williams. They all have different roles in the team, however Frankie to my mind is a combination of Skuse and Williams, with a little extra aggression. He will put his head and foot in where other players will not, he will score from positions where others will not. He will however have difficulty breaking into a team which has a very rigid selection mandate. Good luck Frankie, I hope you get your 21st birthday present with selection in the first squad.

Henderson,

Orr Ribiero J Wilson Fontaine.

Sproule Skuse Artus Plummer.

Akinde Maynard

Not entirely correct, but an idea of what we could have available in 2 seasons time + new signings and other Academy players coming through. GJ must be excited at the young talent coming through and it gives him a lot of future options without the hassle of transfer fees. It could represent our best City Academy content ever, I will be very happy .

Henderson,

Orr Ribiero J Wilson Fontaine.

Sproule Skuse Artus Plummer.

Akinde Maynard

Does look good BUT Ribs isn't a right back. Fonts isn't a left back. Sproule is quite old. Plummer isn't a left winger.

Good to see we could put out a good young side.

Does look good BUT Ribs isn't a right back. Fonts isn't a left back. Sproule is quite old. Plummer isn't a left winger.

Good to see we could put out a good young side.

could someone clear up what position Ribs plays in in think he is a right back thats where he plays for the reserve games i have seen

could someone clear up what position Ribs plays in in think he is a right back thats where he plays for the reserve games i have seen

He's right footed and always plays at right back! Think one of the coaches said he can play anywhere across the back 4 so people think hes not a right back! Example..The manager said that Carle could play anywhere in midfield! Its true he can but its not there best position! B Wilson at left back comes to mind!

Archived