IGNORED

A Lesson From History

surreyred

As with a a few other posters I cannot beleive the flack that the clubs management have been getting for finnishing a season in the top half of the Championship.

There are a few who need reminding about the history of this club.

Since 1945, and prior to GJ, the only times we have finished a season higher than our current leauge position are

1965-66 5th second division

1971-72 8th second division

1972-73 5th second division

1975-76 2nd second division

1976-77 18th first division

1977-78 17th first division

1978-79 13th first division

1979-80 20th first division

1990-91 9th second division (think I read this one correctly)

So prior to GJ in 60 odd years of football we have finished only 9 seasons in a higher leauge position than this season.

People, these are the good times, enjoy them !

Mind you a remember people moaning because we only finished 13th in 1978-79 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As with a a few other posters I cannot beleive the flack that the clubs management have been getting for finnishing a season in the top half of the Championship.

Since 1945, and prior to GJ, the only times we have finished a season higher than our current leauge position are

So prior to GJ in 60 odd years of football we have finished only 9 seasons in a higher leauge position than this season.

Mind you a remember people moaning because we only finished 13th in 1978-79 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting that the club (Dolman ?) stuck with Dicks in 73/4 & 74/5, which were worse season's than 72/3, leading on to promotion in 75/6. Obviously had faith in him.

It's so true that some people need to realise that progress is being made, slowly. Last season was a one off, not saying we won't ever get promoted, but we need some patiance. I'm only 23 and remember the last time we were in this division, we were crap and completly unprepared. GJ has done a fantastic job and i salute the man, if that makes me a 'happy clapper' so be it, i am happy.

A couple of years in this division will only improve the club as a whole, on and off the pitch. The gap of quality between players we can have the chance of bringing in being as an established top half championship club is a world away from if we were in league 1, or even newly promoted. Take Hull and Stoke as examples, grew every year they were in this league, now doing ok and probably safe in the Prem.

Enjoy the ride and show GJ some respect!

Our recent rise is due to the stability offered by SL over several years, it is by no coincedence IMO and with his ambition we will be a premier league club for our new home - ok we have a current glitch in the 4 year plan and will need to add a couple more to that but we will get there.

Sure GJ deserves credit and I believe he gets it however the criticism he is receiving now is due to his stubbornness to change tactics. Last coule of games at AG - 2 substitues in 91st minute and similar team selection for ineffect a meaningless match against ipswich - surely if we got those same results but he had brought on elliott and trunds on say 70 mins and chose a young and refreshing team for ipswich we wouldn't be so upset - i know i wouldn't be! that's before you include his jan transfers (bench wamers) and reluctance to strengthen midfield!!

just for the record i wasn't a boo boy but i was very dissappointed!!

Interesting that the club (Dolman ?) stuck with Dicks in 73/4 & 74/5, which were worse season's than 72/3, leading on to promotion in 75/6. Obviously had faith in him.

That cup run in 73-74 saved AD then and 5th wasn't bad in 74-75. The top three were Man U, Villa & Norwich. The teams 4th, 5th & 6th that year (Sunderland, City & WBA) were 1st, 2nd & 3rd in 75-76. Remember Easter 75? City won @ the Dell on Good Friday but lost at home to Norwich the following day. Norwich hadn't played the day before thus were fresher.

That cup run in 73-74 saved AD then and 5th wasn't bad in 74-75. The top three were Man U, Villa & Norwich. The teams 4th, 5th & 6th that year (Sunderland, City & WBA) were 1st, 2nd & 3rd in 75-76. Remember Easter 75? City won @ the Dell on Good Friday but lost at home to Norwich the following day. Norwich hadn't played the day before thus were fresher.

I don't really remember the easter period/end of the season. Got a vague memory of City winning at Old Trafford and getting some stick from Tommy Doc for a defensive performance. Think it may have been on the Big Match ? (Those were the days !)

Anyway, the main point I suppose is that AD was given time to build the team.

Thats all very well - but its history! Its not about the past its about the remainder of this season and getting prepared for next season. It simply doesn't matter whats gone before.

Look at Forest - they were European Cup winners twice 30 odd years ago but now are struggling to stay in the CCC. Look at Leeds - they were Champions League semi-finalists just a few season ago. Now they are hanging on to a play-off spot in Division 1. Look at Fulham - they were in Division 2 10 years ago and now they in the top half on the PL. Whats gone is gone. Its fine to look back but don't stare.

I don't think people are moaning because we have finished halfway, it is because we could have done so much better with a little tweak here and there tactcially/fomationally and team selectionally.

GJ is just too stubborn to change things permantley, why change a winning 433 formation.?.

BCAGFC

Thats all very well - but its history! Its not about the past its about the remainder of this season and getting prepared for next season. It simply doesn't matter whats gone before.

Look at Forest - they were European Cup winners twice 30 odd years ago but now are struggling to stay in the CCC. Look at Leeds - they were Champions League semi-finalists just a few season ago. Now they are hanging on to a play-off spot in Division 1. Look at Fulham - they were in Division 2 10 years ago and now they in the top half on the PL. Whats gone is gone. Its fine to look back but don't stare.

No mate, you're missing the point completely.

It's not all in the past and just history, it's the lessons you learn from the past that are important. There were probably plenty of City fans after Alan d###'s head at time because they didn't think there was enough progress being made. The board didn't cave in and gave AD more time and look what happened. Anyway, from my recollection, progress under AD was far slower than we've enjoyed in the far shorter time GJ has been in charge.

Patience is a virtue and that's something seriously lacking in far too many City fans unfortunately. I just hope it doesn't cost us dearly.

No mate, you're missing the point completely.

It's not all in the past and just history, it's the lessons you learn from the past that are important. There were probably plenty of City fans after Alan d###'s head at time because they didn't think there was enough progress being made. The board didn't cave in and gave AD more time and look what happened. Anyway, from my recollection, progress under AD was far slower than we've enjoyed in the far shorter time GJ has been in charge.

Patience is a virtue and that's something seriously lacking in far too many City fans unfortunately. I just hope it doesn't cost us dearly.

Hello, I've had the mods nibbling at my last post! Obviously you can't say Alan Dicks any more!!!

It's also about knowing when the good times are with us, god knows there have been enough bad times. It's also about reconising when we have a good management team, and not jumping all over the manager when a few results go against you.

The whole point of history is to give a perspective of where you are at anyone time. The perspective in this case is we have our second most successful management team since the war, and that two years ago if you told the moaners on this forum they would get a top 10 finish in this division they would have bitten your arm off. We are not Arsenal or Man U, climbing out of the mire we have been in will take time. The other lesson from the results I listed above is to give a manager time to build a squad, just like Alan DICKS was !!

There were probably plenty of City fans after Alan d###'s head at time because they didn't think there was enough progress being made.

No, there weren't. It was a different era and people weren't so hungry for instant success.

Generally, managers stayed in their jobs for years and years in those days (apart from Cloughie at Leeds, obviously!).

lets have this right for gawds sake. how many people are really at GJ's throat??? a couple of odd balls. the vast majority of fans are very happy with what GJ is doing. but why shouldnt we discuss and question some of the things that he does that arent right in the many peoples eyes???

many people are disatisfied with the midfield and his stance that all is well. whats wrong with that??? should we all just blindly follow along even though its glaringly obvious to some that we could of done better this year if this had been addressed. personally i think our midfield cost us a play off place this year. thats just my IMO and i know its impossible to prove it either way its just my gut feeling.

getting all cosy and not daring to question anything GJ does is a pretty sad state of affairs in my eyes. he is the best man for the job but no one is perfect.

Hello, I've had the mods nibbling at my last post! Obviously you can't say Alan Dicks any more!!!

It's the word filter automatically replacing the word 'Dick's'

Sadly due to the childish insults thrown around on here half the time it's put in to stop others getting upset about it.

It's the word filter automatically replacing the word 'd###'s'

Sadly due to the childish insults thrown around on here half the time it's put in to stop others getting upset about it.

Tsk - who gets upset at being called Alan Dicks?

I bet Alan did when he was a kid ..... imagine the stick he got at school!!!

I still remember the chants of 'Dicks out'....

MP for Bristol South around then was Michael Cocks as well and some people wanted him out........

I still remember the chants of 'Dicks out'....

MP for Bristol South around then was Michael Cocks as well and some people wanted him out........

Really?? And all these years I thought women were after my body!! Such disappointment.

I think the word filter was loosly picking up d###'s head rather than Alan Dicks

It was because he put the apostrophe before the 's' in Dicks name instead of after it. Dicks' is how it should have read, not d###'s, so it picked out the word d### rather than Dicks. All clear?

No, there weren't. It was a different era and people weren't so hungry for instant success.

Generally, managers stayed in their jobs for years and years in those days (apart from Cloughie at Leeds, obviously!).

I asure you there were plenty giving Alan Dicks abuse, and strange as it may seem from the same part of the ground as apparently received towards the current encumbent of the Ashton Gate Hot Seat. Alan Dicks commented on this in one of the excellant "Flash Back for the Fans" documentaries that HTV used to peddle out back in the day.

He mentioned that he was told what people thought of him from the area of the "Chicken Run", which is the name he gave to the protective shetler covering the old players tunnel in the middle of the Williams Stand.

So the fans of today are no better or worse than those of yesti-year and I think everyone should remember that, and the odd shout of discontent from the stands is definately not new or unique to Gary Johnson or Bristol City. Having siad that I certianlty do not see the point of a sustained volley of abuse towards players or managers - personally.

In a democratic society we are expected to voice opinion. As paying customers we expect to voice our opinion. As was said here just the other day it would be boring if we were all brown tongues and did not engage in open discussion. The manager of BCFC is entitled to know what we think. As for the booing this saturday I was under the impression it was not directed at Johnson.

I wish people would stop all this 'its history, lets think of now and the future'....

Those who forget the past, tend to make the same mistakes all over again.

Yes, think of now and the future BUT forgetting where we have come from could be the downfall of this club. If GJ continues to get the stick he has done for making this club the best it has been for years and decades I really can see him saying '**** this, I have had enough of this b*******, I don't deserve this, what the hell are these people used to, oh yes lower league football......so what are they complaining about?'

I beleive 100% that if GJ were leave this club, we would be back in league 1 within 2 seasons maximum. We would not get a manager in his league to replace him.

If we become too impatient and don't appreciete what we ALREADY have, we could end up losing it ALL and be right back where we were.

Our recent history and fairly distant history tells us we should be pretty pleased with the way things are going and have gone, we would do well to remember that. History has its place.

I wish people would stop all this 'its history, lets think of now and the future'....

Those who forget the past, tend to make the same mistakes all over again.

Yes, think of now and the future BUT forgetting where we have come from could be the downfall of this club. If GJ continues to get the stick he has done for making this club the best it has been for years and decades I really can see him saying '**** this, I have had enough of this b*******, I don't deserve this, what the hell are these people used to, oh yes lower league football......so what are they complaining about?'

I beleive 100% that if GJ were leave this club, we would be back in league 1 within 2 seasons maximum. We would not get a manager in his league to replace him.

If we become too impatient and don't appreciete what we ALREADY have, we could end up losing it ALL and be right back where we were.

Our recent history and fairly distant history tells us we should be pretty pleased with the way things are going and have gone, we would do well to remember that. History has its place.

I really don't get why there is so much attention after a few miserable old buggers started shouting at GJ.

Now I remember when Osman was player manager and in one particular match in the dolman a few hundred in the crowd started shouting OFF OFF OFF OFF after he brought someone down. This is completely small fry in comparison.

Let the old buggers have their moan if they wish, being miserable sods is all they know.

I'm sure Gary has been around long enough to take no notice of these fools, what's he going to do, walk away and face the same crap at another club, well, yes.

Archived