IGNORED

Steve L / Stadium Financing

City Ben

Happy clappers :disapointed2se:

Thought I'd get one in before anyone else. But this has answered a niggling question. Having bought the land how will the stadium get financed?

So the next one is something the ST can throw their badgering powers behind. The way of football is that the ground will be sponsored up to the eyeballs. So the chances of it being called Ashton anything are remote.

I really don't care who the sponsors are but can the home end be named the East End for old times sake?

The JJB East End, the Pirelli East End but please god NOT the Dunfords Dairies East End.

We call it whatever we wan't. For free.

But first we need to contribute. £50 got it??

In Stockholm we got the "Stockholm Globe Arena", sorry "Ericsson Globe" http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globen

But it has always been "Globen", The Globe.

You are welcome to pay for it.. idiots #######

I replied earlier, but since then this is up on the offish site. This is a stunning gesture from Steve, and in years to come he will stand alongside Harry Dolman as the 2 eminent people in the history of our club. Fantastic news, we must be the envy of most clubs in the country. I wonder what Peter Hargreaves makes of all this, his share price will have dropped as well today, but if he thinks there is any chance of a profit from the property development he might be interested as well?

Si.

I replied earlier, but since then this is up on the offish site. This is a stunning gesture from Steve, and in years to come he will stand alongside Harry Dolman as the 2 eminent people in the history of our club. Fantastic news, we must be the envy of most clubs in the country. I wonder what Peter Hargreaves makes of all this, his share price will have dropped as well today, but if he thinks there is any chance of a profit from the property development he might be interested as well?

Si.

Harry Dolman bankrupted Bristol City Football Club.

He wasen't the chairman on the 2nd of February 1982 but a long time before.

Do you really think Steve L would have sold a significant amount of his own business without recieving some kind of assurances from the council regarding planning. I still believe that the council will have been approached by the FA to look at the possibility of hosting World Cup football and in turn the council will have approached the club with there backing. The stadium project is starting to gain momentum and backers. People/fans will have been looking at it with the mentality of "I'll believe it when I see it"

The FA has ALREADY been in Bristol and has spoken to the Council as well as City. SL has already said that BCFC have recommended to the Council that we should hold WC matches in Bristol.

Can't let this thread fall by the wayside compared to today's other ludicrous 'hot topic'. This is great news and its clear BCFC are in safe hands with Lansdown at the helm.

I can't think of many chairman as well liked and respected as Lansdown. :chant6ez: :chant6ez:

Now lets get the design spot on!

Do you think we will own the ground? Or is Lansdown going to stick us on a 999 year lease charging a peppercorn rent with a possible "buyback" option after a certain time period? I reckon this new ground/development is Steve Lansdown's way of "getting his significant investment back" without plunging the club into massive debt or risking administration whilst also "doing his bit" as a supporter and leaving Bristol City a fantatsic legacy. We are lucky to have a genuine fan like him as Chairman rather than being owned by some dodgy Fund Manager at Legal and General!!!

Do you think we will own the ground? Or is Lansdown going to stick us on a 999 year lease charging a peppercorn rent with a possible "buyback" option after a certain time period? I reckon this new ground/development is Steve Lansdown's way of "getting his significant investment back" without plunging the club into massive debt or risking administration whilst also "doing his bit" as a supporter and leaving Bristol City a fantatsic legacy. We are lucky to have a genuine fan like him as Chairman rather than being owned by some dodgy Fund Manager at Legal and General!!!

You have already answered your own question.

Seconded. After all of todays mass hysteria whether GJ is right or not PLEASE let us not lose sight of WHO is our real boss - Steve Lansdown. Managers come, managers go and if for whatever reason GJ made his comments so be it............ Such is

But Chairmen like SL are as rare as rocking horse excrement

Thanks Steve

Shares in Hargreaves Lansdown (HL) tumbled 14.5p to 212.5p on news that its chairman sold 23 million shares in the financial advisory firm. Stephen Lansdown, who sold some of his stake in the firm to fund the building of Bristol City’s new stadium, will retain a share of 22.9% or 109 million shares in the firm after the sale. On Thursday, the firm announced that its chairman was looking to sell at least 15 million shares in the company.

What a legend and many thanks. He will go down in history as one of the most important people to have ever been involved in the club. :superman::englandsmile4wf::winner_third_h4h:

http://www.ftadviser.com/FTAdviser/Adviser...res-in-firm.jsp

Harry Dolman bankrupted Bristol City Football Club.

He wasen't the chairman on the 2nd of February 1982 but a long time before.

I assume you mean bankrolled? No Harry Dolman, no Bristol City. The problems started with us paying third highest wages after Liverpool and Everton, giving players 11 year contracts and so on, not on Harry's watch.

We are indeed fortunate - great manager and great Chairman.

Exactly, they are a rare partnership when at so many clubs there is a power struggle between Chairman and Manager. Compare with QPR where the owners are putting none of their wealth in but Briatore picks the team.

If he's going to put that sort of money in to the stadium then I think that we are going to have to roll up our sleeves and prepare to get very very grateful.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I have 100% supported Bristol City for 40 years at Ashton Gate, and would be very happy to do so for another 40.

The new stadium will be nice, but it won't add to my enjoyment of supporting this club and anyway, Steve isn't exactly donating the money, is he. It's an investment.

Good chairman, nice bloke, but don't get carried away.

This is complete conjecture, but it wouldn't surprise me if he retained a stake in the ground, rather than loaning cash to the football club. I said a while back that we should possibly prepare ourselves for the idea that BCFC may not own our new ground in the way we do Ashton Gate.

How would people feel if the new stadium was not ours, but was owned by a company which managed a mixed use leisure/housing development? We would have a very long term lease at a completely immaterial rent. ie saves us a fortune each year on rent/loan repayments, but we don't own the ground. Could happen.

It had bloody better not. The whole point of a new stadium is to make revenue on the other 6 days a week. The extra money from ticket sales alone comes nowhere near justifying building one. If that revenue is in some separate business there is no benefit to the football club and a whole lot of unnecessary risk.

The same legal entity must own both the club and the stadium and be the only business in which shares are traded and if that is not to be the case then fans should be 100% against the idea - every club that has suffered after building a new stadium has been a club that didn't retain ownership.

Besides, Steve doesn't need to retain a separate stake in the ground if he retains his stake in Bristol City Holdings. If he's pulled out £40m of his own cash, financing the rest as a secured loan without giving up shares will be easy enough.

It is clear from today's EP that SL is fully committed to the stadium build.

Personally I don't care if it's called the Haregreaves Lansdown Arena and the club don't own it but hae a lease of 125 years that is longer than the club has been in existence to date.

What this does prove is that we have probably the best Chairman in the football league who presides over a club with minimal debt compared to many at this level.

We should be saying in SJ we trust rather than GJ.

Next season it will be interesting to see if GJ has what it takes to take this club further forward on the field.

GJ needs to get it more right in terms of his transfer dealings and, even if just in cameos, he needs to give youth a chance.

His comments this week about the fans are out of order.

I do think this is absolutely stunning. Harry Dolman did indeed bankroll this club for many years and his greatest achievement was keep continuing to build the stand that bears his name when many on the board wanted to stop because of escalating prices. But this something on a different level of investment.

Although I don't think it's his style, he would be more entitled than any other chairman in the league of naming the ground after himself. I hope now that all the rest falls into place so I can see my team in a new ground before I get too old to appreciate it!

Why is SL putting the money aside NOW??

If building starts later this year(very very doubtful), the contractor will still be on interim payments, with a 2- 2.5 year construction period, so why the need to have £40m sitting ready for it NOW?(unless he is also planning on giving GJ a F.off big warchest this summer)

Why is SL putting the money aside NOW??

If building starts later this year(very very doubtful), the contractor will still be on interim payments, with a 2- 2.5 year construction period, so why the need to have £40m sitting ready for it NOW?(unless he is also planning on giving GJ a F.off big warchest this summer)

Well he runs an investment company, so I would think he knows where he can invest it to get the best returns during the interim period. He could add to the value of this investment quite substantially with the right interest rates.

Personally I don't care if it's called the Haregreaves Lansdown Arena and the club don't own it but hae a lease of 125 years that is longer than the club has been in existence to date.

I don't care what it's called but the club absolutely must own it. Otherwise there's no point and we'll end up like Coventry, Southampton and the rest of the clubs that did the same.

Archived