IGNORED

Steve L / Stadium Financing

City Ben

Afternoon all

Just thought I would pass on this tit bit. Reading the Financial Times' Alphaville, as I am often interested to do :online2long: , I saw this re SL:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/04/17...10/markets-live

About 2/3 down. I can't copy the text, but it is re Lansdown selling a significant number of shares in Hargreaves Lansdown. When a director of a public company does this they often have to release a statement explaining why they've done it (so that the market doesn't get jittery about the prospects of the company). His says "monies released from this sale will be used to fund private projects including the proposed new stadium for BCFC".

He's sold 15m shares (he will keep hold of 132m, fact fans). Opening price this morning was £2.23, so that's a bit north of £30m he's realised.

If he's going to put that sort of money in to the stadium then I think that we are going to have to roll up our sleeves and prepare to get very very grateful.

HL shares currently down 6%, presumably driven by this news. I am such a geek.

This is complete conjecture, but it wouldn't surprise me if he retained a stake in the ground, rather than loaning cash to the football club. I said a while back that we should possibly prepare ourselves for the idea that BCFC may not own our new ground in the way we do Ashton Gate.

How would people feel if the new stadium was not ours, but was owned by a company which managed a mixed use leisure/housing development? We would have a very long term lease at a completely immaterial rent. ie saves us a fortune each year on rent/loan repayments, but we don't own the ground. Could happen.

From what I hear, SL has bought up a huge swathe of land around the site for the new ground. There is a chance that this might be given planning permission for new homes/entertainment/offices, in which case SL makes untold amounts of money.

On the other point, I guess PhatWill is right: I should jolly well hope that we'd make a shed load of cash from the sale of AG. It's a big plot of land in a decent position. A lot will depend on timing/ housing market etc. Also our approach - do we develop it ourselves, as Arsenal have done with Highbury, or sell it to a developer? Doing it ourselves has greater potential return, but also greater risk - as Arsenal are currently finding out with a large number of devaluing, unsold flats... and a loan which needs cash from those flats in order to be repaid. Clearly I think it should be kept and developed in to some sort of shrine...

my colleague just had this flash up on his email as well, SL is the man! I wonder what the land value of AG is worth? If there is the potential for planning permission on the rest of the land owned by SL including leisure developments that will dwarf the value of the shares sold. It also leaves him with a residual £250 million in shares and presumably other assets such as the land owned in ashton vale which is to be developed, NICE!

Had a good chat with the Stadium Project team at the recent open evening and he made it very clear that Steve Lansdown is very much the driving force for getting the new stadium done.

I questioned about potential problems with stadium funding if the current financial crisis stopped the developments around the Stadium going ahead.

His answer was if there was a problem Steve Lansdown would help fund the Stadium and get his money back in the future when any development around the stadium eventually goes ahead.

Looks like the selling of shares may be to fund this.

This is complete conjecture, but it wouldn't surprise me if he retained a stake in the ground, rather than loaning cash to the football club. I said a while back that we should possibly prepare ourselves for the idea that BCFC may not own our new ground in the way we do Ashton Gate.

How would people feel if the new stadium was not ours, but was owned by a company which managed a mixed use leisure/housing development? We would have a very long term lease at a completely immaterial rent. ie saves us a fortune each year on rent/loan repayments, but we don't own the ground. Could happen.

From what I hear, SL has bought up a huge swathe of land around the site for the new ground. There is a chance that this might be given planning permission for new homes/entertainment/offices, in which case SL makes untold amounts of money.

On the other point, I guess PhatWill is right: I should jolly well hope that we'd make a shed load of cash from the sale of AG. It's a big plot of land in a decent position. A lot will depend on timing/ housing market etc. Also our approach - do we develop it ourselves, as Arsenal have done with Highbury, or sell it to a developer? Doing it ourselves has greater potential return, but also greater risk - as Arsenal are currently finding out with a large number of devaluing, unsold flats... and a loan which needs cash from those flats in order to be repaid.

Fair conjecture Ben - no ownership = no long term debt by avoiding the funding, and its hard to imagine the person most responsible for City'simproved fortunes doing anything other than entering into a very long term lease with BCFC at either a fixed low rent, or maybe one based upon turnover - ie, everyone gains if we are in the Prem, and risk minimised if revenue decreases for any reason.

AG gives us a real say in the financial structure, and I would trust SL to handle it straight as a die - maybe some spin off revenue from non football activities, although it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the major share.

23 Million shares @ £2.045 per share = £47M. I wonder what he buys his wife for her birthday!

His remaining shares of 117M are worth about £234M.

£30M for the stadium? £17M for players next season? :fingerscrossed:

23 Million shares @ £2.045 per share = £47M. I wonder what he buys his wife for her birthday!

His remaining shares of 117M are worth about £234M.

£30M for the stadium? £17M for players next season? :fingerscrossed:

have to salute him for this, real commitment from one of the best chairman we have ever had, i would have no objections to the ground being named after him if he is paying out of his own pocket for this.

Now on the OS.

Great news for the club, and shows SL's commitment to the future of this club.

I'm pretty gobsmacked as most clubs would look at raising the necessary funds by loans/investors, and for SL to basically sell a large chunk of his business for the good of the club is an amazing gesture IMO.

Thank you Steve. :worship2:

TOP BLOKE!!!

Rather than just speculation, that's fantastic to see Steve Lansdown has actually admitted it himself.

My biggest worry about the stadium plans has always been raising the money, especially with the economy how it is. Hopefully with it being a buyers market, with SL putting the money up front, we may be able to wait a while to get the best price for Ashton Gate and not be forced to sell during a property slump.

Happy days and puts the furore surrounding GJs comments today into perspective!

SL YOU'RE A LEGEND!!!!!!!

I wonder if this will dispell the numpties questioning the clubs ambition. SL is building a legacy at City that will hopefully be here for my kids and grandkids to see and enjoy. Thank you Steve.

I hope that the blue half are reading the news, we have a chairman willing to back his ideas not think of the ideas then try and finance it.

:innocent06: One man's vision well done Steve Lansdown ok the season ebbed away but this is a major shot in the arm, don't care if every stand is named after him this is a real statement of intent.We could all say we would do the same with his money but would we ? As long as the council backs this and it is not another (Bristol ARENA )b##ls up . :hug:

:innocent06: One man's vision well done Steve Lansdown ok the season ebbed away but this is a major shot in the arm, don't care if every stand is named after him this is a real statement of intent.We could all say we would do the same with his money but would we ? As long as the council backs this and it is not another (Bristol ARENA )b##ls up . :hug:

The least we can do is to cash up £50 isen't it??

If the council mess it up the money should go to the academy.

Do you really think Steve L would have sold a significant amount of his own business without recieving some kind of assurances from the council regarding planning. I still believe that the council will have been approached by the FA to look at the possibility of hosting World Cup football and in turn the council will have approached the club with there backing. The stadium project is starting to gain momentum and backers. People/fans will have been looking at it with the mentality of "I'll believe it when I see it"

Do you really think Steve L would have sold a significant amount of his own business without recieving some kind of assurances from the council regarding planning. I still believe that the council will have been approached by the FA to look at the possibility of hosting World Cup football and in turn the council will have approached the club with there backing. The stadium project is starting to gain momentum and backers. People/fans will have been looking at it with the mentality of "I'll believe it when I see it"
Yes ok there is a element of seeing is believing after so many let downs from various boards, and complete lack of interest towards either club from the council this at last could push the club towards where they should have been years ago .

Yes ok there is a element of seeing is believing after so many let downs from various boards, and complete lack of interest towards either club from the council this at last could push the club towards where they should have been years ago .

Ten tickets for me if I don't price out a fellow City fan.

What's the big deal?

Guest MaloneFM

Happy clappers :disapointed2se:

Thought I'd get one in before anyone else. But this has answered a niggling question. Having bought the land how will the stadium get financed?

So the next one is something the ST can throw their badgering powers behind. The way of football is that the ground will be sponsored up to the eyeballs. So the chances of it being called Ashton anything are remote.

I really don't care who the sponsors are but can the home end be named the East End for old times sake?

The JJB East End, the Pirelli East End but please god NOT the Dunfords Dairies East End.

Archived