IGNORED

Steve L / Stadium Financing

City Ben

Well I don't know about anyone else here but, If I was Mrs L and I had just walked in from work and she had spotted I had a sneaky account where I had £47million stashed in for my hobby, I think it would be safe to say I would end up having a black eye and sore nuts.

Fair play to him for doing this, If it was me in that situation I can't honestly say I would spend my hard earned this way, more likely I'd be on a beach somewhere far away from England. Surely he deserves a statue next to Atyeo if he pulls this one off?

Well I don't know about anyone else here but, If I was Mrs L and I had just walked in from work and she had spotted I had a sneaky account where I had £47million stashed in for my hobby, I think it would be safe to say I would end up having a black eye and sore nuts.

Fair play to him for doing this, If it was me in that situation I can't honestly say I would spend my hard earned this way, more likely I'd be on a beach somewhere far away from England. Surely he deserves a statue next to Atyeo if he pulls this one off?

Fair play to the guy just goes to prove his passion and desire for BCFC and indeed reading the report on the os does he not want his name in anyway connected to the naming of the new ground, how good is that, as for a statue i think the guy is so modest he will not want anything to do with that but to build a stadium that everyone is happy with for generations to come, i wish him every success.

It had bloody better not. The whole point of a new stadium is to make revenue on the other 6 days a week. The extra money from ticket sales alone comes nowhere near justifying building one. If that revenue is in some separate business there is no benefit to the football club and a whole lot of unnecessary risk.

The same legal entity must own both the club and the stadium and be the only business in which shares are traded and if that is not to be the case then fans should be 100% against the idea - every club that has suffered after building a new stadium has been a club that didn't retain ownership.

Besides, Steve doesn't need to retain a separate stake in the ground if he retains his stake in Bristol City Holdings. If he's pulled out £40m of his own cash, financing the rest as a secured loan without giving up shares will be easy enough.

I very much doubt that the stadium will be owned by a different entity than AG is today, i.e Bristol City Holdings PLC, which, in essence is the current board, and only operates to generate finances for Bristol City FC (and its shareholders)

If this is the case, BCFC will probably play there for free as such, as the rent would be paid to BCH, (and then be better of tax-wise as they can claim the rent back as a business expense) and that money would only be pumped back into the club in the long term.

Stunning gesture.....fantastic and like others have said perhaps means planning is assured?? SL is an absolute gem along with GJ and we should not forget how far we have come under SL's stewardship.

Lets hope this is the start of a defining couple of years for the mighty reds.

We couldn't have asked or wished for a better chairman, a man who has faith in his staff and allows them to do their jobs without interferring ( i.e Briatore) whilst doing everything to put our club in a posistion to progress through the football leagues, the guy is Mr Bristol City and obviously see the club as his family, and as such is doing everything to give his family the best oppertunity to compete with the best, just as any father would do, but at the same time he's a realist and knows this will take time and good financial planning.

Steve Lansdown I salute you. :city:

I assume you mean bankrolled? No Harry Dolman, no Bristol City. The problems started with us paying third highest wages after Liverpool and Everton, giving players 11 year contracts and so on, not on Harry's watch.

Agreed. HD loved the club and without him we would have been much poorer. Maybe playing at a rugby ground somewhere........

Why is SL putting the money aside NOW??

If building starts later this year(very very doubtful), the contractor will still be on interim payments, with a 2- 2.5 year construction period, so why the need to have £40m sitting ready for it NOW?(unless he is also planning on giving GJ a F.off big warchest this summer)

I think it's because Lansdown said that the price of his shares was right to sell, so i think he's doing it now whilst they are still worth their current price rather than wait and see them potentially go down in the current climate. In addition to this any Main Contractor would do a credit check on the developer to ensure that the finance was in place as they would be subjecting their own business to considerable risk working for a developer that doesn't yet have the cash in place.

I'd love to think that there was a rather large warchest for GJ this summer as well though!

It had bloody better not. The whole point of a new stadium is to make revenue on the other 6 days a week. The extra money from ticket sales alone comes nowhere near justifying building one. If that revenue is in some separate business there is no benefit to the football club and a whole lot of unnecessary risk.

The same legal entity must own both the club and the stadium and be the only business in which shares are traded and if that is not to be the case then fans should be 100% against the idea - every club that has suffered after building a new stadium has been a club that didn't retain ownership.

We will see - would revenue from somewhere in Ashton Vale for 6 days a week cover the interest payments on a £30m loan though?

We will see - would revenue from somewhere in Ashton Vale for 6 days a week cover the interest payments on a £30m loan though?

Clubs with modern stadia at this level are making £20m ish revenue a year. Only about half from match tickets. We made about £12m last season including Wembley.

There is no point in building the new ground if the revenue does not go wholly to the football club.

Clubs with modern stadia at this level are making £20m ish revenue a year. Only about half from match tickets. We made about £12m last season including Wembley.

There is no point in building the new ground if the revenue does not go wholly to the football club.

Net revenue or gross?

I presume a £30m loan might cost nearly £2m pa to finance now, although the sale of AG would presumably reduce the capital needed - SL knows the score and without him it ain't going to happen, so whichever way it goes, personally that's ok by me.

Even more cost of course if we go to 42,000 capacity, as the revenue non matchday would presumably be the same?

Net revenue or gross?

Gross. Corporation tax isn't really an issue for most football clubs. They have to pay VAT of course but most have plenty of losses to off set the odd year in the black and will just re-invest in the team and wider club. Owners aren't in it to make money by and large.

I presume a £30m loan might cost nearly £2m pa to finance now, although the sale of AG would presumably reduce the capital needed - SL knows the score and without him it ain't going to happen, so whichever way it goes, personally that's ok by me.

It's ok with you if the club takes on massive debt to build a stadium but ends up not getting the revenue from it as it doesn't own it? Bugger that. The club must own the stadium and benefit from all of the revenue it and the surrounding development generates. That's the whole point in doing it. Clubs who have allowed themselves to lose ownership of their stadiums have really struggled because they don't get the revenue.

Even more cost of course if we go to 42,000 capacity, as the revenue non matchday would presumably be the same?

I doubt adding more seating will much affect non matchday revenue. Maybe there'll be some extra office space or something but I doubt it will be much different.

name a stand after him i say

name a stand after him i say

I second that, if it was good enough for the great Harry Dolman, I think Mr S Landsdown is good company for Old Harry to be rubbing shoulders with.

This is fantastic news, we all quite rightly get engaged in the here and now at the football club, but I'm confident that the long term status of BCFC is in very safe hands. As I've said on more than one occassion, this project is vital for the future prospects and success of the club.

But hasn't it always been pretty obvious from day one that the only way this stadium will be built is if it is largely funded by certain wealthy individuals? In the current financial climate, no major Corporates are going to be willing or able to give/loan the club the cash to build the stadium. So, surely it's been obvious for some time now that the new stadium will almost certainly become the property of certain individuals, not the club.

That's why I'm mystified when I read that "95%" of fans want the new stadium, because there could be precious little benefit for the club.

But hasn't it always been pretty obvious from day one that the only way this stadium will be built is if it is largely funded by certain wealthy individuals? In the current financial climate, no major Corporates are going to be willing or able to give/loan the club the cash to build the stadium. So, surely it's been obvious for some time now that the new stadium will almost certainly become the property of certain individuals, not the club.

That's why I'm mystified when I read that "95%" of fans want the new stadium, because there could be precious little benefit for the club.

No, I don't think so at all. SteveL already controls the club through his share in BCFC Holdings, why go to the trouble of building a new stadium just to invite other investors on board and hand off the revenue from it? It's not like he needs the aggravation or the money. He can certainly fund the development by buying up a massive share issue in BCFC holdings and then borrowing the rest (and yes, banks will do secured loans for build projects even in the current climate).

He ends up with a greater share of a company that owns both the football club and the stadium and that company is worth much more as it has larger assets, it's revenue has at least doubled and possibly increased five fold if we can sustain Premier League football. It should pay off the finance happily and run in the black.

As long as the holding company wholly owns both as it does now and the control of that company resides with people who have the football club's interests first and foremost then the revenue benefits the football club.

The only reason for that not to be the case is if it can't be financed without giving up a chunk of it - and if that is how it is we absolutely should not build it. I just can't see why that would be though.

I suspect the stadium is, what we say in the 'trade', the trojan horse.

SL appears a great chap and passionate supporter. He's also a very wise and astute businessman.

I've no doubt tens of millions need to be pumped into the urban extension project from the public sector to support infrastructure. The Council will be relative small players in funding but will be critical for 1) granting of planning permission and 2) support for grant bids.

SL's building the pressure up on the City Council, who won't want to be seen as not supporting something (particularly with the World Cup 'incentive' - which I suspect is a bit of a flier) that will be seen by many as being 'good for Bristol'. SL, wisely, appears to be connecting stadium delivery to his bigger picture.

So yes, SL is our hero but - I would speculate to suggest - it ain't quite as straightforward as it may seem and could take sometime for the package to be gathered together.

Fingers crossed!

Do you think that in the money taken we've got a few million there for new players?

In short terms, NO. Steve L has always said he is willing to invest his own dosh into the infrastructure of the club ie training round and new stadium to enable the club to stand on its own 2 feet.

In short terms, NO. Steve L has always said he is willing to invest his own dosh into the infrastructure of the club ie training round and new stadium to enable the club to stand on its own 2 feet.

Thought so. I was dreaming of a 5-10 million war chest. Yummy

It's ok with you if the club takes on massive debt to build a stadium but ends up not getting the revenue from it as it doesn't own it? Bugger that. The club must own the stadium and benefit from all of the revenue it and the surrounding development generates. That's the whole point in doing it. Clubs who have allowed themselves to lose ownership of their stadiums have really struggled because they don't get the revenue.

If the £20m revenue from owning everything around a stadium is gross then after Gordon gets his mitts on it, BCFC won't have a lot left even after offsetting losses - which we always keep to a minimum.

Its certainly not ok for the club to take on a massive debt which is why i'm delighted SL is funding it - if he bankrolls it and gives BCFC everything that flows from non football development then its an even greater gesture than I thought - the 'trojan horse' concept mentioned above is absolutely fine by me.

If City are serious about a poxy world cup bid then they won't be able to fund the extension from any additional revenue flowing from it .

However SL cooks it, i'm starving hungry.

If the £20m revenue from owning everything around a stadium is gross then after Gordon gets his mitts on it, BCFC won't have a lot left even after offsetting losses - which we always keep to a minimum.

We've lost millions every year for a while. Our expenditure last season was £14m ish IIRC and we lost £2m.

Corporation tax is only a proportion of profit and only then after you've offset some previous trading losses (can't remember the length of time you can hold them for), but football clubs don't make a profit because if they've got money spare they invariably invest it in the team.

Its certainly not ok for the club to take on a massive debt which is why i'm delighted SL is funding it - if he bankrolls it and gives BCFC everything that flows from non football development then its an even greater gesture than I thought - the 'trojan horse' concept mentioned above is absolutely fine by me.

If City are serious about a poxy world cup bid then they won't be able to fund the extension from any additional revenue flowing from it .

However SL cooks it, i'm starving hungry.

Yes well that's the thing, everything is optimistic about the stadium but we can't walk into it blindly. I am keen but I want to know how the ownership will be structured, how the revenue will be split if at all and how the development will be funded. I'm sure Southampton and Coventry fans were massively in favour of new stadiums too.

Archived