IGNORED

Swansea Matchday Thread - Izzy At Right Back

Smokey

?

He has got the most out of these players. That is why it is time to ditch the ones who aren't good enough to take us up to the next level- McCallister, LJ, McCombe, McIndoe etc.

Mcindoe was pretty much the most consistent, star performer in a team that reached a play-off final.

Johnson was almost an ever-present, and when he wasnt we struggled.

I understand what you are saying, harsh decisions on the 'dead wood', but do not write players off who have proved they can be an essential aspect in a succesful side.

Mcindoe was pretty much the most consistent, star performer in a team that reached a play-off final.

I understand what you are saying, harsh decisions on the 'dead wood', but do not write players off who have proved they can be an essential aspect in a succesful side.

Harsh decisions have to be made though. McIndoe is past it now- great last season but average this and on the way down. You can argue about LJ all day but I still think he is a League 1 player and we won't progress with him not dominating the midfield battle week in week out.

proved

Unfortunately that is in the past tense. We needed proof in the last 10 games.

If I tell my boss what great work I did in the office last year, he'll be less than happy if I put my feet up this year. Maybe a harsh comparison, but you get the idea.

We struggled last season without Johnson.I like your sense of humour.We struggled when Marvin couldn't do the work of two players in midfield and we have struggled all this season with Johnson.

Absolutely. I'm looking forward to next season's relegation scrap already.

No chance of a relegation scrap (whether you're being serious or not)

The big plus this year is City are not involved in the play offs so planning, and signings, for next season can be sorted out much earlier.

My understanding is City already have several new signings lined up, and that being the case - and assuming they are of the required standard - we can look forward to at least matching this season's final position.

Hopefully, as others have rightly pointed out, with a more attractive style of football.

No chance of a relegation scrap (whether you're being serious or not)

The big plus this year is City are not involved in the play offs so planning, and signings, for next season can be sorted out much earlier.

My understanding is City already have several new signings lined up, and that being the case - and assuming they are of the required standard - we can look forward to at least matching this season's final position.

Hopefully, as others have rightly pointed out, with a more attractive style of football.

Unfortunately, unless there are changes in personnel and tactics next season then I can see a relegation scrap looming. We have looked very poor over the last couple of months, and there's a real danger that ending this season on a low will spill over into the start of next season.

I am not in the know, as you clearly are, so I have no idea what signings, if any, will be joining us.

Unfortunately, unless there are changes in personnel and tactics next season then I can see a relegation scrap looming. We have looked very poor over the last couple of months, and there's a real danger that ending this season on a low will spill over into the start of next season.

I am not in the know, as you clearly are, so I have no idea what signings, if any, will be joining us.

To make it clear, I am not 'in the know' any more than you are Andy.

I chose the words 'it is my understanding' carefully as my comments were based on a post on this forum from someone I believe.

New players are on the way, of that I have no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two come from the likes of Charlton or Southampton but those are my own thoughts.

In any case it seems unlikely that we will shed what appears will be a large number of players without having some plans in place for replacements.

Whatever GJ's faults, overall I think he is far too good a manager to oversee relegation, or even near relegation, for BCFC.

I think we're in safe hands in that respect.

Whatever GJ's faults, overall I think he is far too good a manager to oversee relegation, or even near relegation, for BCFC.

No Manager is that good! A lot have relegated teams have been called 'Too good to go down'. All you need is a bad start, to get stuck in a rut (Like we are now), and you can find yourself at the wrong end, in fact, like last season in reverse. As for the major signings, are we not likely to lose a large chunk of ST revenue? Has SL not said that he wants the books to come closer to balancing? And what if a bigger Club, say Middlesborough, come in for GJ? I firmly believe that City are not in a position to instantly rebuild to a level where we can seriously challenge the big Clubs, and think that we will be looking to consolidate for a couple of years. If GJ is ambitious (I honestly don't know on that one), now might be his best chance of getting a chance at a major Club - Especially as Managers who can achive on a limited budget may well be in greater demand this summer.

No Manager is that good!

I've got every faith in GJ to maintain City's championship status. I think he's one of the better managers at this level and his CV is packed with promotions and successes - there is no reason to think he will struggle to keep us up.

A lot have relegated teams have been called 'Too good to go down'.

I said GJ ( in tandem with SL for that matter ) is too good a manager to oversee relegation. There are far bigger teams than us who will struggle more because they have inferior managers.

All you need is a bad start, to get stuck in a rut (Like we are now), and you can find yourself at the wrong end, in fact, like last season in reverse. As for the major signings, are we not likely to lose a large chunk of ST revenue?

We'll sell Elliot to finance rebuilding.

And what if a bigger Club, say Middlesborough, come in for GJ?

Then we'd struggle.

I firmly believe that City are not in a position to instantly rebuild to a level where we can seriously challenge the big Clubs, and think that we will be looking to consolidate for a couple of years.

Agreed, but with GJ at the helm we won't go down.

If GJ is ambitious (I honestly don't know on that one), now might be his best chance of getting a chance at a major Club - Especially as Managers who can achive on a limited budget may well be in greater demand this summer.

Nightmare scenario, let's hope not.

On the subject of Johnson leaving for another club, I may well eat my words but I just don't see it.

If 'Boro are relegated, which looks likely, I would expect them to stick with Southgate anyway, but for what reason would Johnson leave - all he could achieve at that club is the inevitable, a quick return to the Premier League. Here, and at Yeovil, he produced results which were either un-expected or overdue and I think, based on the noises from the club, that he still very much considers this a work in progress and something rather spectacular would have to happen for him to up sticks.

Apologies for going off topic here but it all also surprises me when people talk of the Championship being stronger next season. Leicester are a 'name', they have had much success over recent seasons but I would be very surprised if they make any kind of 'impact' on their return. P'boro will surely see their top players strongly pursued in the summer and the only other perceived 'threat' is that from Leeds, again only because of the high profile name.

In terms of Premier League relegation, West Brom will feature but no stronger than Wolves this year, Newcastle will have the firesale of all firesales if they go down and most likely fester in mid table for a year at least. Hull also, for all the early season romance of this year are no more of a threat than Birmingham, Cardiff, Reading et al.

So for me, all this talk of next season being tougher is very mis-placed. With the right acquisitions in the summer we could very easily be looking at a top 4 finish in my view - although to set that as the base expectation from the off would be harsh.

My natural pessimism is based on 30 years experience. To me, it's not just a few additions, but a major overhaul that is needed, and I can't see that happening overnight. And yes, I agree that GJ is one of the better Managers, but that guarantees very little.

As for 'confident Top 4', I honestly think that a reality check is needed. Until we have the 50 points that normally guarntees survival, we should not be thinking any further ahead. Last season was the exception, not the norm.

Top tip - Be pessemistic - You are never disappointed!

To me, it's not just a few additions, but a major overhaul that is needed,

Why would you oversee a 'major overhaul' of a side who has finished 4th and reached a play-off final in one season and then (most likely) had a top 10 finish the following year?

For a pessemist you have awfully high expectations!

Last season was the exception, not the norm.

Since Johnson has been in charge we have finished 2nd (?) in the form table over half a season, been promoted as runner-up in League One, finished 4th and reached a play-off final in our first Championship season and, this year, are heading for a top 10 finish in what has been, inescapably, our 'worst' season under his charge.

Thus this season has been the exception and not the 'norm.'

Why would you oversee a 'major overhaul' of a side who has finished 4th and reached a play-off final in one season and then (most likely) had a top 10 finish the following year?

Since Johnson has been in charge we have finished 2nd (?) in the form table over half a season, been promoted as runner-up in League One, finished 4th and reached a play-off final in our first Championship season and, this year, are heading for a top 10 finish in what has been, inescapably, our 'worst' season under his charge.

I'd forget what happened in league 1 because it bears no relevance to where we are now.

Form tables are a snapshot in time that have no bearing upon where we finish.

This is our second season at this level so wherever we finish will be neither exception or norm.

I do believe that we need a major overhaul to remain competitive but I doubt if that will happen.

My natural pessimism is based on 30 years experience. To me, it's not just a few additions, but a major overhaul that is needed, and I can't see that happening overnight. And yes, I agree that GJ is one of the better Managers, but that guarantees very little.

As for 'confident Top 4', I honestly think that a reality check is needed. Until we have the 50 points that normally guarntees survival, we should not be thinking any further ahead. Last season was the exception, not the norm.

Top tip - Be pessemistic - You are never disappointed!

Fair enough Chappers, old chap, I've got even more 'experience' than you. :tongue:

Decades of disappointment and pessimism are in the past for me. We've got every reason to be optimistic, just for once, so to wallow in pessimism at this comparitive high point in supporting City would seem an unnecessarily depressing option.

I agree a fairly major overhaul is neeeded - with the number of players likely to leave, I'd say at least 4 first teamers need to come in - but I'm optimistic that is exactly what's going to happen this Summer.

Because we're likely to shed at least 8 of this season's squad.

Despite what GJ says about sticking with 'this bunch of boys' we generally make quite alot of signings each season and apart from a nucleus there is a fairly rapid turnover.

This Summer everything points to there being even more change than usual.

Because it's quite obvious from watching the last season and a half of football that a major overhaul is now necessary to progress.

Pessimists as you call them who called for more changes to the squad last summer could argue that they were already proved right this season. But actually what we need is a bit of realism.

GJ is a fantastic motivator, he gets more out of players than I thought possible and he has really engendered a great team spirit and winning attitude around the club in his time here. He's a good man manager (though I'd like to see him fix problem players instead of just boot them out), and comes over very well in the press. He's also ambitious and well respected in the game, and he's a friendly bloke to talk to and values the fans greatly and encourages the players to do the same.

However, there is no point in pretending he is without weaknesses. As I see it, GJ often makes selections that do not make much sense to the majority of fans giving the impression he is playing favourites in spite of performance and results. He doesn't seem to recognise key weaknesses in the squad (ie keeps on buying strikers left right and centre to solve a goalscoring problem that is actually a midfield problem) and has been more miss than hit when spending significant money in the transfer market despite his eye for a bargain.

Since January 08 our league form has been mediocre. (P61 W23 D21 L17 at 1.48 points game and the trend is downwards). We can't score enough goals, averaging about 1.2 a game. We've adopted a far more direct style of play and it is absolutely not paying off. It's not fun to watch either. We tried to fix our goalscoring problem this season by signing lots of strikers and playing a 442 not a 4411 but all this had done is remove all of our width as we play a central midfielder on the right and McIndoe tucks in to help the weak central midfield. We have no cover or competition on the left side, nor the right.

So we have problems that need solving if we're to progress. They have been there a while but now we're at the point where they're obvious to almost everyone I would think. To me that means that this summer GJ needs to sign half a dozen players in the right positions and address them. If he does that, fantastic. If he doesn't then sadly we will finish below where we are now because our momentum is now gone and players have lost the winning habit.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be that finishing in our highest league position for nearly 30 years was very much not the norm and will not be repeated without significant change to the playing staff. I wonder which will prove correct?

Nogbad;

I agree we will see a significantly large turnover of the playing staff in the summer, the point I was trying to make is that saying we need a 'major overhaul', to me, implies that drastic action (more that what we would normally see) is required in order to address pressing issues within the squad. Whereas I am of the opinion that issues within the squad will inevitably be addressed over the summer and there is no need to 'hit the panic button.'

We are currently finely balanced. Many of our squad are able Championship players who would most likely (it could be assumed) be out of their depth at Premier League level.

The dilemma is what can be realistically done?

Which of our current crop would you be comfortable with starting a Premier League season?

For me there are very few.

Virtually all of our first team - Basso, Orr, McCombe, McCalister, Johnson, Sproule, McIndoe, even Carey and the yet proven Styvar would hold massive question marks regarding the step up. Maynard, Skuse and Fontaine have shown promise and have youth on their side, Elliot is the 'horse you'd back' to make the grade.

It occured to me quite some time ago that we are currenlty at a crossroads. Whilst there are area's that need strengthening - right wing and full back spring imediately to mind, beyond those obvious frailties lie a whole host of question marks over the general ability of the squad in regarding to 'taking the next step.'

If you are to replace Orr then replace McCalister, if Johnson isnt deemed good enough then why should Sproule be and so on . . . .

This squad has proven it can perform successfully over the course of a season at this level and so it is unfair to write those very same players off. The problem lies in that unless you place faith in some of those who, perhaps rightly, are questionned on their ability, then you are going to be faced with overseeing a 'major overhaul' which ultimately could do more harm than good.

Pessimists as you call them who called for more changes to the squad last summer could argue that they were already proved right this season. But actually what we need is a bit of realism.

I was merely labelling someone who said they were perennially pessimistic as a pessimist.

However, there is no point in pretending he is without weaknesses.

I certainly do not and am more than willing to point out when I think he is at fault.

As I see it, GJ often makes selections that do not make much sense to the majority of fans giving the impression he is playing favourites in spite of performance and results.

Agree, although I am sure his reasonning is sound despite what it appears.

He doesn't seem to recognise key weaknesses in the squad (ie keeps on buying strikers left right and centre to solve a goalscoring problem that is actually a midfield problem)

It's more of a tactical problem, although problem may imply it is unintentional and needs fixing. Our midfield clearly isnt tasked with being incredibly advantageous and as a result our front line suffers, for me that's more a tactical issue than a personnel one. But considering the success we have seen, albeit not as much this year, to label this a tactical (or as you did 'personnel') 'problem' is short-sighted.

and has been more miss than hit when spending significant money in the transfer market despite his eye for a bargain.

Struggling to think of his big spending antics now.

Trundle didnt work out clearly.

Maynard was perhaps over-valued however at a point when a long-time target had failed to materialise, for absolutely no-ones fault conected at with the club and with fans baying for a striking solution, if the chairman was willing to pay the increase on what was the clubs original target it is unfair to criticise. Ignoring of course the fact that Maynard is incredibly inexperienced and has had a decent opening season at a level he had never before performed.

Although I am not aware of the reasonning you yourself stated in a recent post (please correct me if i'm wrong on this) that Johnson was right to sell Carle due to a 'non-playing issue' - therefore, especially given the fact we made a 100% profit, it is surely unfair to criticise here.

Styvar has yet to show his worth, he shall and should be judged on the first 10-15 games of next season.

Since January 08 our league form has been mediocre. (P61 W23 D21 L17 at 1.48 points game and the trend is downwards). We can't score enough goals, averaging about 1.2 a game. We've adopted a far more direct style of play and it is absolutely not paying off. It's not fun to watch either. We tried to fix our goalscoring problem this season by signing lots of strikers and playing a 442 not a 4411 but all this had done is remove all of our width as we play a central midfielder on the right and McIndoe tucks in to help the weak central midfield. We have no cover or competition on the left side, nor the right.

Agree with all of that. Right wing should be the immediate priority in the summer.

So we have problems that need solving if we're to progress. They have been there a while but now we're at the point where they're obvious to almost everyone I would think. To me that means that this summer GJ needs to sign half a dozen players in the right positions and address them. If he does that, fantastic. If he doesn't then sadly we will finish below where we are now because our momentum is now gone and players have lost the winning habit.

Again I would agree.

However I do not think that necessarily constitutes a 'major overhaul.' Riberio and Wilson will provide defensive cover, infact Riberio may very well be a constant by Christmas who, from the limited i've seen, looks a very good prospect.

We have a creative midfielder in Williams and ball winners in Elliott and Skuse - of course if either or any leave that increases the turnover. McIndoe will start next season 'left side' if he is still here and as such the only midfield position that requires immediate attention is the right flank. Alternatively, if we revert to a previously successful 4-4-1-1 then Williams may find himself in the hole playing off Maynard while Johnson or Skuse fill the midfield vacancy.

Coming on to upfront, although he has yet to shine it must be assumed that Styvar will get his chance given the money we paid. And from that, as he will partner Maynard, we are only in affect searching for 'back-up' strikers in the summer.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be that finishing in our highest league position for nearly 30 years was very much not the norm and will not be repeated without significant change to the playing staff. I wonder which will prove correct?

I was looking at it from a Johnson era perspective, as I believe was 'Chappers.'

Of course in the clubs recent history, co-incidentally (.....) the same period that Johnson has been at the club, we have very much gone against the norm with our sustained 'progress.'

There will be a 'significant change to the playing staff' in the summer no doubt, however I cannot imagine that, if reflecting on this seasons team/squad at the start of next season that those {inevitable and needed} changes could be construed as a 'major overhaul.'

Actually, being pessemistic/ realistic may be why I keep on going, year after year. I am so rarely disappointed, and seasons like last year are even better for being so unexpected. I am quite happy overall with this season, it has been a mix of frustrating and enjoyable, but it means another season of CCC football, so most games on Saturday, and some good trips to decent grounds. When I read SL's comments about being Top 2, I admired the ambition, but never believed it for one moment - And worried that it might inflate expectations to unrealistic levels.

As for next season, much will depend on who we can recruit, what happens at other Clubs, and who we can off-load. My preference would be a smaller squad of experienced players (More quality, less quantity), supported by the likes of Wilson, Ribiero, Henderson, Artus, Akinde etc. Hopefully, some of these players will develop to enable us to move forward (Or if they move, provide much needed cash). The main thing is not to be complacent, next season there will be 23 other Clubs, all convinced that they have the right set-up to survive/ go up, and it only takes a few bad breaks/ injuries for things to start going wrong, and it's not always easy to turn things around.

Lets just see what happens, and enjoy the football!

Archived