IGNORED

Johnson Close To Forest Move In January

And Its Smith

I come on here about once a week so may have missed this if it was mentioned in January as I know a few posters are 'in the know'. I was chatting to a mate of Lee Johnson's yesterday and he mentioned how close Lee came to moving to Forest in January.

I don't know the details of a fee but Johnson was (and I imagine still is) getting sick of the fans boos and abuse. We know that he wouldnt get the same stick if he wasnt the managers son and obviously Gary rates him highly and with what GJ has achieved here his opinion is good enough for me.

Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on how 'we' nearly drove a first team player out of the club.

I come on here about once a week so may have missed this if it was mentioned in January as I know a few posters are 'in the know'. I was chatting to a mate of Lee Johnson's yesterday and he mentioned how close Lee came to moving to Forest in January.

I don't know the details of a fee but Johnson was (and I imagine still is) getting sick of the fans boos and abuse. We know that he wouldnt get the same stick if he wasnt the managers son and obviously Gary rates him highly and with what GJ has achieved here his opinion is good enough for me.

Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on how 'we' nearly drove a first team player out of the club.

I heard the same thing yesterday as well.

Sad but true - it doesn't matter if you are involved in local Under 7s or Premier League football, it's awkward to play your son in the team if you are the manager. Unless your son is absolute mustard, then people will always question his place in the team. On his day, LJ can play some good (dare I say it 'excellent') football, but when he doesn't he faces a mountain of abuse (from some, not all). I am sure he did contemplate a move. Who knows maybe even this summer...

See, I have no problem with him. Sure, he can have his off days, but he's not THAT bad. I mean, I'm sure he's a lot better than anyone on here who slags him off.

What's more annoying is that when he scored yesterday and we were chanting 'lee, lee, lee johnson' in the east end, some idiot behind decided to chant 'out, out, out the door' instead.

I wonder if he would've been saying that if it had helped us to stay up/win the league?

rant over

'We' wouldn't have driven a first team player out of the Club!! If the deal had been right, with a decent fee for the club and more money for him he would have gone like a shot and it would have been a good thing for both.

The reason Lee gets an ironic cheer during the couple of times he has been substituted is because he is picked every week and plays 90mins without regard to his or the team's performance, which at times is pretty bad. Yesterday he scored but at the expense of a dozen mis-passes to Wednesday and and once again losing the ball in front of his own posts and nearly giving a goal away.

The tragedy of all this is that we will probably sell Marvin and/or Skuse and not buy a creative midfielder in order to protect Lee's position in the team.

I hope that I am wrong.

'We' wouldn't have driven a first team player out of the Club!! If the deal had been right, with a decent fee for the club and more money for him he would have gone like a shot and it would have been a good thing for both.

How do you know the deal wasn't a decent fee and more money for Lee, had he chosen to leave?

The tragedy of all this is that we will probably sell Marvin and/or Skuse and not buy a creative midfielder in order to protect Lee's position in the team.

I hope that I am wrong.

Did you see Marvins performance yesterday? The only reason he makes so many tackles is because his first touch is poor! I know he has been out with injuries but he is no where near the player he was during the first half of last season and an offer of £3m should definitely be accepted. LJ has added something to his game in the last month or so and i suspect this is due to Gary Johnson giving him a kick up the backside.

A good mate of mine who is related to a member of the board did say that summer that Forest were in for LJ but I just took it as a pinch of salt. Also heard that Palace were in contact regarding McCombe last summer. Which makes sense when you think, seeing as he played well every time we played them last season.

"a mate of Lee Johnson's"

and

"A good mate of mine who is related to"

No disrespect intended to the posters - might be true/might not - but I don't take much notice of all these "mate" stories.

I suppose we'll get plenty of these over the summer though,

CR

Unless he is consistently our best player then hes always going to get stick here isnt he, sometimes rightfully osmetimes unfairly

Might be easier for him just to leave and try and make it on his own somewhere

don't think it would be a terrible career move for him, and i doubt the wheels would fall off city either (providing someone was brought in to compete for his midfield spot with williams).

I've got nothing against Lee Johnson that a bit of genuine competition for his first team place wouldn't sort out. I felt he had a very good game yesterday but I also feel that he doesn't produce that standard often enough to warrant 46 guaranteed first team selections per season if he is fit. I have nothing against the man himself as I've never met him, I hope he does well whenever he plays (yesterdays goal was a great piece of football, a good run and a composed finish) and I only base my opinion on the thirty or so times that I have watched him this season rather than who his old man is.

I suppose that makes me a "Lee Johnson hater who nearly drove him out of the club" on here.

I tend to agree.

But there are some on here who are close to some players and SL's son plays in the same football team as a couple on here as well - hence the "mate related to someone on the board."

Fair enough - a couple of these stories may be true - but there are an awful lot of sad people that simply make up a load of nonsense! - and if they stopped doing that , then the "real" snippets would be appreciated.

As it is you end up believing nothing.

CR

I've got nothing against Lee Johnson that a bit of genuine competition for his first team place wouldn't sort out. I felt he had a very good game yesterday but I also feel that he doesn't produce that standard often enough to warrant 46 guaranteed first team selections per season if he is fit. I have nothing against the man himself as I've never met him, I hope he does well whenever he plays (yesterdays goal was a great piece of football, a good run and a composed finish) and I only base my opinion on the thirty or so times that I have watched him this season rather than who his old man is.

I suppose that makes me a "Lee Johnson hater who nearly drove him out of the club" on here.

Was involved with City's only worthwile attacking moves yeaterday finishing very well and putting a good cross in the second half. - fair play.

Unfortunately he was still part of the "creative" midfield quartet including McIndoe, Sproule and Williams that did not create one clear chance for Maynard yesterday or trouble the Wednesday goal for any length of time. Its OK saying letting in late goals has cost us this year but surely the inability to score more or dominate teams as been equally or more so the problem.

I felt really sorry for Maynard yesterday, worked hard but just was not helped. If we are going to get the best out of this guy we have got to relaise he is a finisher and is unlikely to create his own chances on a regular enough basis.

Hopefully as well as acknowledging that we need to improve in both penalty areas it will not have been lost that the midfield area also needs to improve. Especially if the Elliott rumours are true, who along with Fontaine were the shinning lights yesterday.

• Admin

Untrue, LJ is not aware of the abuse he gets.

LJ will not leave City because he knows which side his bread is butterd.

Untrue, as shown by his initial "ear-cupping" celebration yesterday.

LJ wouldnt get anywhere near as much criticism if he was dropped after a poor performance. he has been good in the last few games but there have been occassions this season when he has had 3 or 4 poor games on the spin and he has still kept his place. if this wasnt the case then the whole debate wouldnt be anywhere near so big.

for me LJ has not had enough games like he did on sat to justify constant selection. and what really has dissapointed me is his poor set peice delivery which in past years has been superb.

obviously they are literally a league apart, but if you saw what Cesc Fabregas, who is also a small ball playing midfielder, did yesterday, making those kind of runs shouldnt be out of the question for LJ. Obviously Fabregas is an international class player so the technique and vision will be a different class, but on his day LJ is tidy on the ball and has a good engine so I reckon making forward runs like that should be encouraged for next season. If he does, like in the Southampton game, I could see more goals coming from him. If you have him as a holding midfielder only then I don't think he can provide any real strength, but if you are going to use him, get him playing 20 years further forwards and see what he can create.

i really hope that all these stories don't come true to be honest... i rate lee quite highly but he does make simple mistakes quite often which need to be brushed up on... at the end of the day if gary thinks that lee is good enough to start then he obviously is... after all gary is the guy who took city from the bottom of league one to a wembley playoff final in the championship... and now looking for a top 10 finish and in that time we have had lee johnson so there's a coorelation even if it is a slight one

near the beginning of the season i remember that lee got booed off the ashton gate field after being subbed, and i saw him a few days after and mentioned the reception he got and he said and i quote "don't worry i don't let it worry me, i tend to ignore it and realise that i can push my performance up" so its not as if he doesnt know that his performances arent always up to scratch

i really hope he doesnt move as he has quite a big fan base (even though it seems like there is a bigger hate fan base) and he has settled in bristol with his wife nicola and baby daughter isabella... and if he did move clubs it would propbably be a more local team as most of his family live in the south west.

i really hope that all these stories don't come true to be honest... i rate lee quite highly but he does make simple mistakes quite often which need to be brushed up on... at the end of the day if gary thinks that lee is good enough to start then he obviously is... after all gary is the guy who took city from the bottom of league one to a wembley playoff final in the championship... and now looking for a top 10 finish and in that time we have had lee johnson so there's a coorelation even if it is a slight one

near the beginning of the season i remember that lee got booed off the ashton gate field after being subbed, and i saw him a few days after and mentioned the reception he got and he said and i quote "don't worry i don't let it worry me, i tend to ignore it and realise that i can push my performance up" so its not as if he doesnt know that his performances arent always up to scratch

i really hope he doesnt move as he has quite a big fan base (even though it seems like there is a bigger hate fan base) and he has settled in bristol with his wife nicola and baby daughter isabella... and if he did move clubs it would propbably be a more local team as most of his family live in the south west.

Why do people use the word "hate"? How many people truly "hate" Lee Johnson? I know I don't - all I want to see is some TRUE COMPETITION for his place and that has got nothing whatsoever to do with hate. Does this mean that if you rate a player then you somehow "love" them?

ok hate was a strong word.... dislike him then does that make better sense?

Lee Johnson, is pretty much a model professional from and what I know certainly a polite person. I would hope it comes down to how highly a fan rates his football ability rather than an attack on the blokes character, which adjectives such as hate and dislike imply.

See, I have no problem with him. Sure, he can have his off days, but he's not THAT bad. I mean, I'm sure he's a lot better than anyone on here who slags him off.

What's more annoying is that when he scored yesterday and we were chanting 'lee, lee, lee johnson' in the east end, some idiot behind decided to chant 'out, out, out the door' instead.

I wonder if he would've been saying that if it had helped us to stay up/win the league?

rant over

Probably not, due to the fact that he hasn't !!

but there have been occassions this season when he has had 3 or 4 poor games on the spin

Name these occasions. Name just one.

LJ knows he has been lucky to not be dropped this season. But it's not his choice.

Not only is it unfair to blame LJ for not being dropped, but you can't blame GJ either unless you can pinpoint a game for which he should have been dropped.

what really has dissapointed me is his poor set peice delivery which in past years has been superb.

Agree there but McIndoe hasn't been any better and presumably the other possible takers are worse. Finding a right winger who can take set pieces seems like an obvious move.

I also wanted to add that the main thrust of this thread is absolutely spot on. Booboys are actively damaging the team.

Archived