IGNORED

Scott Murray Testimonial ?

Carey 6

I think he should get one no doubt. I predict some pedantic idiot will say otherwise.... but he definately deserves one.

Can i ask why he deserves one? I'm Murreys biggest fan but he has been handsomly rewarded for playing for us - Testimonials used to give a player a financial send off after he had played for the same club for 10 years unbroken service, this was in the days where they were not paid anywhere near what they are now and most players had to go and then find a job.

Can i ask why he deserves one? I'm Murreys biggest fan but he has been handsomly rewarded for playing for us - Testimonials used to give a player a financial send off after he had played for the same club for 10 years unbroken service, this was in the days where they were not paid anywhere near what they are now and most players had to go and then find a job.

Because 10 years of playing for this club in this day and age, regardless of whether its been 1, 2 or even 3 spells is amazing loyalty. I don't blame him for leaving after scoring 27 goals from the right wing. There was no way he was going to stay - at that point he must of felt like an adult playing in a kids team he was that much better.

He may have been paid handsomely by it still wont stretch for 40 odd years...

Because 10 years of playing for this club in this day and age, regardless of whether its been 1, 2 or even 3 spells is amazing loyalty. I don't blame him for leaving after scoring 27 goals from the right wing. There was no way he was going to stay - at that point he must of felt like an adult playing in a kids team he was that much better.

hes going straight in to a coaching role so ive heard, anyway, hes still a BCFC legend.

I predict some pedantic idiot will say otherwise....

Step forward the Inland Revenue; A player may be granted a testimonial for after a minimum of 10 years continuous service to a club. A lesser length of time may be rewarded with a Benefit.

The gate receipts of a Testimonial are tax free and go to the player. The receipts from a Benefit go to a player after the tax is deducted.

Step forward the Inland Revenue; A player may be granted a testimonial for after a minimum of 10 years continuous service to a club. A lesser length of time may be rewarded with a Benefit.

The gate receipts of a Testimonial are tax free and go to the player. The receipts from a Benefit go to a player after the tax is deducted.

Rules are rules... Give him a benefit match - he'll still get a good chunk.

Give him a benefit match - he'll still get a good chunk.

You mean he hasn't got a 'good chunk' already?

Well over a decade as professional footballer, including a lucrative move to Reading and several seasons in the CCC or equivelent. He'll hardly be short of dosh.

Why should fans who earn massively less than Murray be expected to pay to watch him in a benefit match when he already very well off? Its ludicrous.

Have a benefit match by all means but give the proceeds to charity rather than into the pocket of an already wealthy footballer.

Well over a decade as professional footballer, including a lucrative move to Reading and several seasons in the CCC or equivelent. He'll hardly be short of dosh.

Why should fans who earn massively less than Murray be expected to pay to watch him in a benefit match when he already very well off? Its ludicrous.

Have a benefit match by all means but give the proceeds to charity rather than into the pocket of an already wealthy footballer.

eh? No one would be "expected" to pay anything. It would obviously be attended by those who wish to go and WANT to pay.....

for that reason, if people are willing to pay for their ticket I see no problem. Its simple, if you have a problem with it, DON'T GO.

eh? No one would be "expected" to pay anything. It would obviously be attended by those who wish to go and WANT to pay.....

for that reason, if people are willing to pay for their ticket I see no problem. Its simple, if you have a problem with it, DON'T GO.

I wouldn't go. Never ever been to one.

The whole testimonial/benefit lark is so outdated the players should have bubble perms.

Murray had a great send off on Saturday - why not just leave it like that.

BTW if you want to give your money to an already wealthy footballer then thats upto you. Why don't you give Steve Lansdown some as well? He's done more for City than any player will ever do.

The whole testimonial/benefit lark is so outdated the players should have bubble perms.

You don't like em fair enough. But your attitude to everything you don't like is that it should'nt happen...

Live and let live I say!

Loyalty my ar$e!

Kicking a ball about for 15 hours a week for the highest bidder?

BTW if you want to give your money to an already wealthy footballer then thats upto you. Why don't you give Steve Lansdown some as well? He's done more for City than any player will ever do.

Have to agree with this 100%

Ah so that's why he's trying to grow that thing on his head, he's harking back to yesteryear in hope of some dosh.

Testimonials are a good laugh, a chance to see some names that you wouldn't normally see, but I agree that the proceeds should go to charity. Most footballers earn enough to see them through nowadays so no need for them to take the money.

As much as I've liked Murray and enjoyed all the years of football he gave us, I'm in the his send off was on Saturday camp I'm afraid. He has had about 2 seasons more than I think anyone with any honesty would say that he merited. Unless it was an 'all for charity' event I think it's better left alone and everyone allowed to enjoyed what a great player we had. If he does get more involved with coaching i hope he gets personal reward and satisfaction from that in the future.

Well said that man. The same applies to Louis Carey as well after he's played his final game for us. Legends, yes, but wealthy legends who won't be struggling for money like a lot fans will be in this day and age.

That said, if the monies were donated, 100%, to charity (well, after HMRC have taken their cut) i'd be all for it. Maybe he could get a game organised between the 97/98 & 06/07 promotion winning teams....

Archived