IGNORED

The Magnificent Seven...

headhunter

GJ's recent comment along the lines of ."...there are 7 players whose position in the team is pretty much secure". is a fundamentally flawed piece of management IMHO.

Who the 7 are is a matter of conjecture but for my part I would name Basso, Orr, Carey, McAllister, Johnson, Elliott, McIndoe.

Basically, if this "group" are kept happy in the knowledge that despite form [needless push by McAllister for the first pen yesterday] they will play if fit, then with some fairly strong characters amongst them GJ knows he will get a non-challenging dressing room. In what I will openly admit is an LJ "bash", that "group" will identify they are being given the same treatment as the managers son.

But surely this M7 strategy is a sure way to create cliques in the dressing room - how do you break into "this group" ? In fairness Fontaine would argue that he has.

What is the impact of this on the perception of the way the club is run by potential transfer targets? A prospective new player might ask this question:"Mr Johnson, you are signing me as a creative midfielder with a goalscoring record of one in every 6 games [i.e. about 8 a season], this would appear to be the role of your son [1 in 16] and whilst I would be delighted to sign for Bristol City will I be part of M7? !!

There are interesting times ahead.

But surely this M7 strategy is a sure way to create cliques in the dressing room - how do you break into "this group" ?

By signing or rearing players who are better.

40 years ago nearly every game we knew the team would be Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Wimshurst, Rooks, Par, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Kellard, Sharpe and Tainton as substitute (after all these years I can still recite the team, it was that constant). The only changes would occur due to suspension or injuries. We then raised a successful youth team; step forward Ritchie, Emmanuel, Gow, Cashley etc.

GJ's recent comment along the lines of ."...there are 7 players whose position in the team is pretty much secure". is a fundamentally flawed piece of management IMHO.

Who the 7 are is a matter of conjecture but for my part I would name Basso, Orr, Carey, McAllister, Johnson, Elliott, McIndoe.

Basically, if this "group" are kept happy in the knowledge that despite form [needless push by McAllister for the first pen yesterday] they will play if fit, then with some fairly strong characters amongst them GJ knows he will get a non-challenging dressing room. In what I will openly admit is an LJ "bash", that "group" will identify they are being given the same treatment as the managers son.

But surely this M7 strategy is a sure way to create cliques in the dressing room - how do you break into "this group" ? In fairness Fontaine would argue that he has.

What is the impact of this on the perception of the way the club is run by potential transfer targets? A prospective new player might ask this question:"Mr Johnson, you are signing me as a creative midfielder with a goalscoring record of one in every 6 games [i.e. about 8 a season], this would appear to be the role of your son [1 in 16] and whilst I would be delighted to sign for Bristol City will I be part of M7? !!

There are interesting times ahead.

I think people take these things far too literally. He also said he wants 4 or 5 quality players to come in. If its 5, then they, plus the "7" can't all start can they ??

Most managers have a nucleus they want to work with. It doesn't mean it never changes - last season McCombe was ahead of Fonts in the pecking order, this time round it's been different.

When Gary was talking about his 'six or seven' players who he saw as the nucleus of his team the only ones he named were Lee Johnson, McIndoe and Fontaine. The seven you mention would certainly have been my best guess too but it would appear Liam is seen as a near certain starter now (and quite rightly so in my view).

Even Ferguson has 'core' players. He'll play Ferdinand and Vidic when they are both fit everytime despite having a huge and talented squad to choose from..

As for Johnson's 'Magnificent 7'. You only have to look at the team sheet every week to know who they are but I don't see him having first team regulars as that big a deal. All managers have players that they can trust and rely on.

The question now is whether that 7 are all good enough to feature as regularly again next season.

Basso - probably.

McAllister - Questionable. He certainly needs competition for his place. Defends well but lacks quality going forward.

Fontaine - No question. Good young player who will only get better.

Carey - No question. Solid, tough and a good leader. Not that many seasons left in him though.

Orr - No question.Despite his shocking disciplinary record. Good full back.

McIndoe - Questionable. Needs to provide more than a lot of effort. There are definately better left sided players out there.

Lee Johnson - Questionable. Again there are definately better midfielders to be had.

I've no problem that GJ "rely's" on 6 or 7 players. There's been too much made of this, but this is normal and is good for the team....

I do think a couple of the players in that 7 don't deserve to be in there though, namely McAllister & Johnson. I don't think they are consistent enough to be in there.

What some are missing though, is that these 7 can change.... Fontaine would not have been in there a year ago, but he is now. And McCombe is not one of the 7 anymore... SO THEY ARE DROPPABLE AND IT CAN CHANGE.

I've no problem that GJ "rely's" on 6 or 7 players. There's been too much made of this, but this is normal and is good for the team....

I do think a couple of the players in that 7 don't deserve to be in there though, namely McAllister & Johnson. I don't think they are consistent enough to be in there.

What some are missing though, is that these 7 can change.... Fontaine would not have been in there a year ago, but he is now. And McCombe is not one of the 7 anymore... SO THEY ARE DROPPABLE AND IT CAN CHANGE.

this M7 is all a bit daft. essentially we know it can change and some people can go in or out as we have seen it with fonts replacing mcombe, but the fact remains that a couple of the 7 ( and i share riazs view that LJ and JM arent consistent enough to be in the core) appear to me to be exempt and are not there on merit.

so again we will probably spend the summer looking for a striker when the main problem is the supply line which probably wont be addressed yet again, with the poissible exception of a replacement for marv. this lack of creativity in midfield and GJ's complete failure to address it is a major concern for me for next season. i think rooney would struggle to get 25 league goals in a season for us the way we play at times.

Why are people taking it to mean that the core players will not be considered for replacement? They're simply the core of the team from this season's squad.

In Gary's first season the core group of players would have included the likes of Russell, Noble and Bas Savage. How many of those are in the core group now? Yet they would have been first on the teamsheet at the time.

this M7 is all a bit daft. essentially we know it can change and some people can go in or out as we have seen it with fonts replacing mcombe, but the fact remains that a couple of the 7 ( and i share riazs view that LJ and JM arent consistent enough to be in the core) appear to me to be exempt and are not there on merit.

so again we will probably spend the summer looking for a striker when the main problem is the supply line which probably wont be addressed yet again, with the poissible exception of a replacement for marv. this lack of creativity in midfield and GJ's complete failure to address it is a major concern for me for next season. i think rooney would struggle to get 25 league goals in a season for us the way we play at times.

I think they are in there on merit in GJ eyes. I cant see that they do that much, macca particularly. I do think LJ has good games, but not enough to justify being one of the 7. Having said that McIndoe has'nt had enough good games this season to be one of the 7.

Why are people taking it to mean that the core players will not be considered for replacement? They're simply the core of the team from this season's squad.

In Gary's first season the core group of players would have included the likes of Russell, Noble and Bas Savage. How many of those are in the core group now? Yet they would have been first on the teamsheet at the time.

i don't think GJ would ever of considered savage part of his core team.

we'll see after the first 10 games of next season whether our core is changed. i'd wager it wont apart from enforced changes from people leaving the club i.e marv and bola.

we'll see after the first 10 games of next season whether our core is changed. i'd wager it wont apart from enforced changes from people leaving the club i.e marv and bola.

I hope your wrong. We need a left back and have for some time now.

Maybe not. But Russell, Jevons & Showumni were all intergral parts of the League 1 promo team & he happily got rid of them.

McCombe was in the "nucleus" last season, yet correctly replaced by Fontaine this season.

Maybe we should go back to the Tinnion era where the team changed radically all the time. Ohh for those halcyon days of unmitigated success.

When we were struggling to avoid relegation from league one I would bet Savage was one of the first names on the teamsheet. Don't underestimate the value he added at that time.

Besides, the point is that players who were once crucial to the team have since been moved on and there's no reason to believe that that won't continue to happen.

I hope your wrong. We need a left back and have for some time now.

bet we don't get one. GJ will see the return of riberio as part-time cover for JM.

Maybe not. But Russell, Jevons & Showumni were all intergral parts of the League 1 promo team & he happily got rid of them.

McCombe was in the "nucleus" last season, yet correctly replaced by Fontaine this season.

Maybe we should go back to the Tinnion era where the team changed radically all the time. Ohh for those halcyon days of unmitigated success.

of course not. but can you honestly tell me that at no point during this season lee johnson and jamie macillister have had poor runs of form whereby theyv'e not deserved to be dropped. because they have and they havent lost their places. i can think of two or three periods whereby LJ had 3 or 4 shockers on the trot and kept his place. how can that be healthy or good for our football club??

bet we don't get one. GJ will see the return of riberio as part-time cover for JM.

of course not. but can you honestly tell me that at no point during this season lee johnson and jamie macillister have had poor runs of form whereby theyv'e not deserved to be dropped. because they have and they havent lost their places. i can think of two or three periods whereby LJ had 3 or 4 shockers on the trot and kept his place. how can that be healthy or good for our football club??

Personally I would replace McCalister as I don't think he's good enough & I hope at the very least he gets some serious competiton next season (I know its lg2 but Craig Woodman got fans & players player of the year at Wycombe - well done Woody). Without opening the almighy can of worms I think LJ has had poor games, but not "3 or 4 shockers on the trot".

Don't get me wrong I am happy for any of our players to be replaced.... as long as the replacement is better.

Personally I would replace McCalister as I don't think he's good enough & I hope at the very least he gets some serious competiton next season (I know its lg2 but Craig Woodman got fans & players player of the year at Wycombe - well done Woody). Without opening the almighy can of worms I think LJ has had poor games, but not "3 or 4 shockers on the trot".

Don't get me wrong I am happy for any of our players to be replaced.... as long as the replacement is better.

but this is essentially what concerns me the lack of serious competition in certain areas of the team and the fact that it is not even on the shopping list. JM has no competition. fonts can do a job at LB and thats it. as for LJ the only real competition he has for his role IMO is williams and he has spent the majority of the year wide right. its just not a healthy situation.

but this is essentially what concerns me the lack of serious competition in certain areas of the team and the fact that it is not even on the shopping list. JM has no competition. fonts can do a job at LB and thats it. as for LJ the only real competition he has for his role IMO is williams and he has spent the majority of the year wide right. its just not a healthy situation.

I don't disagree. But on the basis we seem to be looking at a min of 4 new 1st team players, I'm reasonably confident that those gaps will be filled.

I don't think the strategy adopted by GJ is flawed in the slightest. Every successful team has and needs a "core" to it. That core being players that the manager can back with his life week in, week out. Our most dependable players have been Basso, Orr (defensively), Carey, Elliott and McIndoe in my view but it would appear that GJ would add two or three more names to the list including one who I would particularly disagree with - fair enough as it is his bum on the line.

The only time that this core strategy will fail is if the Manager doesn't strengthen his core from time to time as required. If members of the current core lose form or focus then they need to be replaced. Similarly players like Fontaine are starting to prove that they should now be a part of the core group. If you do not have this group of players then you end up with a team that is full of changes every week - a strategy that GJ seemed to adopt until Boxing Day when we found ourselves in 18th place.

Every successful team up and down the country will have a core of around six players who have played 40 or so games this season.

If you do not have this group of players then you end up with a team that is full of changes every week - a strategy that GJ seemed to adopt until Boxing Day when we found ourselves in 18th place.

A combination, I think, of trying to fit new players into the system and of elements of the "core" letting him down somewhat.

For all GJ talks about "this group of players" he's given the distinct impression at times this season that he's running out of patience with at least some of them. In public he's given them 100% backing at all times, but on the pitch they've often let him down so privately I'm sure he's contemplating replacements.

A combination, I think, of trying to fit new players into the system and of elements of the "core" letting him down somewhat.

For all GJ talks about "this group of players" he's given the distinct impression at times this season that he's running out of patience with at least some of them. In public he's given them 100% backing at all times, but on the pitch they've often let him down so privately I'm sure he's contemplating replacements.

I agree and notwithstanding any disagreements we may have with the personnel in his core group I think some people are taking his words too literally on this occasion.

I can see both sides of this arguement.

Not a problem in having a core of 7 players who play week in, week out. Especially when a majority are defenders, a settled defence is worth it's weight in gold.

The problem, as others have alluded to, is that what happens when something happens to one of the 7, if McAllister is injured, who steps in? Would be fair to say Ribs would've had a chance to step up if it wasn't for his injury, although there appears to be some confusion as to whether he is actually a left back or not. A strong spine to a team is a good thing, and through the central midfield, central defence and goalkeeper departments I'd say we have that strong spine. Interesting that there isn't a forward in most people's idea of the M7. Maynard will come to fill that gap, although a good, experienced, reliable replacement for Dele is needed if he does get a 2 year deal elsewhere.

The other side is that none of these M7 can be labelled as irreplaceable. We have good back up for Basso, and I've got a sneaky that maybe we've seen the last of Bas in a City shirt, so step forward Weale or Henderson. Central defence worries me, without Carey we look very vunerable. Oh for a Shaun Taylor type player to come in this summer and bolster the ranks. Not seen enough of Izzy to see if he gets a contract, McCombe must be a little worried about his future after the last 6 weeks or so. Both of the Wilson's and Ribs can cover across the back four, but are they any better than what we've got? Brian Wilson I'd say not, the other two show promise. But, does GJ buy, or give the young lads their chance?? Catch 22. In midfield, LJ arguement aside it's obvious we need reinforcements. I'm no LJ hater, but it does appear he's got a place in the team no matter what - that's not good. Elliott would be nailed on if fit, Skuse has done an excellent job since Christmas filling in, and should be given his chance to maybe play alongside him, some of his passing is top notch. Williams needs a run, which means he needs to keep fit - fingers crossed. Still need someone with that vision that can make something happen, but most teams are looking for that kind of player.

Up front Maynard will come good, quite chuffed with his 11 goals this season. Dele will be a miss, has done a good job for us, but I'm with GJ on not giving a 2 year contract. Akinde shows massive potential, would love to see him given a go next season, Trundle may well be here next season if we can't do a deal, if so then lets use him. If we're going to play 1 up front at times, he could be the person with the magic touch to play in front of the midfield. Big preseason for Trunds. As for Styvar.......who knows! A little disappointed that he's not been used more, but then I'm not seeing him in training - maybe we've got a donkey there!!

Big summer for the squad, needs tweaking without doubt - may even need a major overhaul. The 6 out, 4 in that GJ spoke about seems about right, if the 4 are better than who we've got........

Lets look at this with a glass half full for a second...

After three and a half years has worked out which players are going to be first team regulars and which ones are fringe players. I think every fan on this forum has done the same in their own minds. Good ! - he knows his own mind and he's managed to assemble the core of a team he is happy with and who are playing the football HE wants to play.

Liam Fontaine has proved that if you play well enough, there is a regular place in the team for you. And those fringe players now have a challenge in front of them - you've proved you can play in the first team - now prove you are good enough to break into the "core". So competition is alive and well...

And even better, he's saying he'd like to bring in better players over the summer to improve the squad and add to the competition within it. I fail to see the problem with that.

Give Gary Johnson a break and see what he does in the summer - you might be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think the strategy adopted by GJ is flawed in the slightest. Every successful team has and needs a "core" to it. That core being players that the manager can back with his life week in, week out. Our most dependable players have been Basso, Orr (defensively), Carey, Elliott and McIndoe in my view but it would appear that GJ would add two or three more names to the list including one who I would particularly disagree with - fair enough as it is his bum on the line.

The only time that this core strategy will fail is if the Manager doesn't strengthen his core from time to time as required. If members of the current core lose form or focus then they need to be replaced. Similarly players like Fontaine are starting to prove that they should now be a part of the core group. If you do not have this group of players then you end up with a team that is full of changes every week - a strategy that GJ seemed to adopt until Boxing Day when we found ourselves in 18th place.

Every successful team up and down the country will have a core of around six players who have played 40 or so games this season.

Burnley played more games than any Championship side this season and used the least number of players.

Lets look at this with a glass half full for a second...

After three and a half years has worked out which players are going to be first team regulars and which ones are fringe players. I think every fan on this forum has done the same in their own minds. Good ! - he knows his own mind and he's managed to assemble the core of a team he is happy with and who are playing the football HE wants to play.

Liam Fontaine has proved that if you play well enough, there is a regular place in the team for you. And those fringe players now have a challenge in front of them - you've proved you can play in the first team - now prove you are good enough to break into the "core". So competition is alive and well...

And even better, he's saying he'd like to bring in better players over the summer to improve the squad and add to the competition within it. I fail to see the problem with that.

Give Gary Johnson a break and see what he does in the summer - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Well said :city:

:source:

What do you want the name of the person that told me BCFC were chasing him? You know I can't give you that.

Let's just see if it happens, if it does you will know to trust me on the next one.

Only doubt I have is that as I understand terms were being discussed prior to Exeter City's promotion and I wonder whether that will have a bearing on proceeding's, shouldn't do, but you never know loyalty is a rare but very precious commodity.

What do you want the name of the person that told me BCFC were chasing him? You know I can't give you that.

Let's just see if it happens, if it does you will know to trust me on the next one.

Only doubt I have is that as I understand terms were being discussed prior to Exeter City's promotion and I wonder whether that will have a bearing on proceeding's, shouldn't do, but you never know loyalty is a rare but very precious commodity.

No problem, just a name I've heard mentioned before. Just wondering if this was old news being dragged back up or from a creditable source, I'll take you at face value on this one!!

Don't know a lot about the lad, google here I come...........

Archived