IGNORED

Lj Deserves His Place Says Steve Lansdown

big p

So SL thinks he deserves his place in the team as do the manager.So next season it looks like the he will be staying.

he says"If he plays poorly, which he doesn't do that often in my opinion, people will always say he is being kept in the team because his father is the manager and try to put him down because of it."

I respect our chairman and I think he will become a legend but I'm frightened that a rift between the club and the fans will become out of hand next season.

A cant remember any other city player causing such a stink between fans,so surly for the sake of unity,is it better the player leaves.I have personally stated that I don't think hes good enough this season,but thats my oppinion.

So SL thinks he deserves his place in the team as do the manager.So next season it looks like the he will be staying.

he says"If he plays poorly, which he doesn't do that often in my opinion, people will always say he is being kept in the team because his father is the manager and try to put him down because of it."

I respect our chairman and I think he will become a legend but I'm frightened that a rift between the club and the fans will become out of hand next season.

A cant remember any other city player causing such a stink between fans,so surly for the sake of unity,is it better the player leaves.I have personally stated that I don't think hes good enough this season,but thats my oppinion.

I'm not sure he casues any more debate than say Christian Roberts ??

if LJ plays the way he and some of his team mates have this season (i.e. one good game a month and the rest poor or average at best) and city continue to perform the way they have done for the last two months of this season then there is going to be some right fun and games because we will in a dog fight which IMO LJ wont be suited to and there will be alot of unhappy bunnies around AG and LJ will inevitably be the scapegoat. the situation will then surely come to a head.

lets hope for everyones sake that GJ makes some decent signings this summer and we improve :fingerscrossed:

The truth is that, along with several other players in the team, LJ is probably a mid table championship performer, hence our mid table finish and it is wrong to single him out. If you have such a problem with him maybe you should leave, or just accept he's there and get on with things. GJ has stated that we need to up the quality in the side and hopefully he'll do that in substantial quantity, 'because if he doesn't we'll be up s**t creek!

The truth is that, along with several other players in the team, LJ is probably a mid table championship performer, hence our mid table finish and it is wrong to single him out. If you have such a problem with him maybe you should leave, or just accept he's there and get on with things. GJ has stated that we need to up the quality in the side and hopefully he'll do that in substantial quantity, 'because if he doesn't we'll be up s**t creek!

GJ said last year that we were signing some exciting players.so id take what he says with a pinch of salt,he probably said that to sell season tickets.

GJ said last year that we were signing some exciting players.so id take what he says with a pinch of salt,he probably said that to sell season tickets.

What a big fat fib that was. We only signed one of the most prolific, sought after, youngsters in the Country!

I was expecting Messi & Ronaldo.

What a big fat fib that was. We only signed one of the most prolific, sought after, youngsters in the Country!

I was expecting Messi & Ronaldo.

Read What I Said "players"

And 11 goals is that exciting.

Read What I Said "players"

And 11 goals is that exciting.

I would class Gavin Williams as the most exciting midfielder at the club. I would say Akinde's potential is exciting too.

Look at the stats of Freddy Eastwood & Billy Sharp - goals by the boatload at League 1. I think their combined tally this year is much less than Maynards.

People forget, due to his broken leg, Maynard had less than 2 full seasons as a 1st team player at Crewe. To get 11 goals in his 1st season at this level for a team not known for making a whole heap of chances. I think that's pretty good.

So you think GJ wont improve the quality of the side even though its abundantly clear to most people, and him that its necessary. You're probably right, he's announced we have a side that lacks the quality to progress in order to sell season tickets, that should bring them flocking in!

I would class Gavin Williams as the most exciting midfielder at the club. I would say Akinde's potential is exciting too.

Look at the stats of Freddy Eastwood & Billy Sharp - goals by the boatload at League 1. I think their combined tally this year is much less than Maynards.

People forget, due to his broken leg, Maynard had less than 2 full seasons as a 1st team player at Crewe. To get 11 goals in his 1st season at this level for a team not known for making a whole heap of chances. I think that's pretty good.

GW williams I agree is exciting when played in his proper position,And Akinde is exciting when hes playing for our club not no one elses.

And I'm sure Nicky Marnard will come good but to be joint 21st goal scorer in our league is not exciting is it.

So, should SL come out and say that LJ is the worst midfielder he's seen at his time at the club and completely undermine his manager?

So are you suggesting SL is lying,and that he believes that hes rubbish but hes only putting up a front for the sake of the manager.SL may think LJ is a good player,like a lot of people on here is suggesting,its about oppinions.What I'm saying is that its obviously causing a rift between fans a so for the sake of the player,the manager, the fans ,and the club isnt it better he leaves.

I sometimes wonder why people go to football if they find it such a tedious experience that only makes them whinge.

As a City fan who now lives a long way from Bristol, some fans who are fortunate enough to be able to go to every home game sound like spoilt children on here, frankly.

We're competing in a very tough division against 23 other teams who also want to sign the best players and fight for promotion. Yet all some of our supporters seem to do is moan and whinge about how crap we are, how boring it is to watch City and how the manager and chairman lie to the press to sell season tickets.

I suggest some of you move away from Bristol for a while and maybe, just maybe, a few of you will appreciate what you had when it's gone.

So are you suggesting SL is lying,and that he believes that hes rubbish but hes only putting up a front for the sake of the manager.SL may think LJ is a good player,like a lot of people on here is suggesting,its about oppinions.What I'm saying is that its obviously causing a rift between fans a so for the sake of the player,the manager, the fans ,and the club isnt it better he leaves.

So he should get rid of a decent player because you and few others don't rate him?

Perhaps you could tell him who he should buy, who he should pick and where they should sit in the wage structure while you're in the business of forcing the manager's hand.

I sometimes wonder why people go to football if they find it such a tedious experience that only makes them whinge.

As a City fan who now lives a long way from Bristol, some fans who are fortunate enough to be able to go to every home game sound like spoilt children on here, frankly.

We're competing in a very tough division against 23 other teams who also want to sign the best players and fight for promotion. Yet all some of our supporters seem to do is moan and whinge about how crap we are, how boring it is to watch City and how the manager and chairman lie to the press to sell season tickets.

I suggest some of you move away from Bristol for a while and maybe, just maybe, a few of you will appreciate what you had when it's gone.

Blimey Edson that's a bit harsh isn't it? - forums are made up of people with differing views and you of all people should appreciate that.

City have been pretty ordinary this year - especially at home - fact I think?

GJ/SL said we were targetting a top 2 finish, and when people queried that, others responded along the lines of 'what did you expect them to say' - they clearly didn't seriously think we'd challenge with the squad we had, so were a bit economic with the truth. Not a hanging offence of course, but neither is someone saying that they tell fibs to sell ST's - every bloody club does that!

This season has been a reality check for GJ after plenty of success, and I think he was believing the hype himself - I don't see many posters banging on about how we should have been in the promotion mix as of right, but I do see a lot of people unhappy about signings, team selection and structure, and GJ's persona.

A forum is surely a better place to air those views rather than shouting in GJ's ear isn't it?

I live near Bristol so I sympathise with you, but I suspect there's a few who moan, who live a fair distance away, and support home and away.

Answer this why is there so much written about LJ on here then.Is it because we are spoilt brats,is it.Every game I go down there cheer my heart out for the Club and the player in question,but when he doesnt play well am i not allowed to criticise him,why is that because hes the Gaffers son.

If a player who takes corners,free kicks and plays in the most important position which is centre midfield don't perform then hes going to get criticised,and just because hes the gaffers son we cant comment.Rubbish if you sit where I'm sat in the dolman there is a lot worse said about him than whats ever said on here.

GW williams I agree is exciting when played in his proper position,And Akinde is exciting when hes playing for our club not no one elses.

And I'm sure Nicky Marnard will come good but to be joint 21st goal scorer in our league is not exciting is it.

According to you we were promised exciting players & that was pretty much a lie. You then agree that Williams & Akinde are exciting (it's hardly rare for a youngster making a huge step up in quality to be given time out on loan??).

I agree 11 goals isn't exciting, but I still think Maynard is an exciting player & a very good prospect.

If a player who takes corners,free kicks and plays in the most important position which is centre midfield don't perform then hes going to get criticised,and just because hes the gaffers son we cant comment.Rubbish if you sit where I'm sat in the dolman there is a lot worse said about him than whats ever said on here.

That's the whole point for me - playing in the most important position means that player should be our best and most influential.

That's why LJ can't get away with being ordinary, and his patchy performances at CCC level are an issue with many fans because the team is structured around his abilities every week.

Hang on - I didn't suggest SL is lying! Get your head out your ass!!

My point was that SL needs to shift season tickets, shirts, get a transfer strategy worked out with GJ - publically undermining him by saying LJ isn't worth his place in the side would not be a good thing to say right now, or anytime for that matter.

I do agree that I think it's time that LJ moves on though, I put the same in a thread the other day. Enough is enough, and I can't see how he can be enjoying his job right now. It's a short career and he should get as much enjoyment out of it as he should.

Blimey Edson that's a bit harsh isn't it? - forums are made up of people with differing views and you of all people should appreciate that.

City have been pretty ordinary this year - especially at home - fact I think?

GJ/SL said we were targetting a top 2 finish, and when people queried that, others responded along the lines of 'what did you expect them to say' - they clearly didn't seriously think we'd challenge with the squad we had, so were a bit economic with the truth. Not a hanging offence of course, but neither is someone saying that they tell fibs to sell ST's - every bloody club does that!

This season has been a reality check for GJ after plenty of success, and I think he was believing the hype himself - I don't see many posters banging on about how we should have been in the promotion mix as of right, but I do see a lot of people unhappy about signings, team selection and structure, and GJ's persona.

A forum is surely a better place to air those views rather than shouting in GJ's ear isn't it?

I live near Bristol so I sympathise with you, but I suspect there's a few who moan, who live a fair distance away, and support home and away.

If it's harsh, so be it. It's my opinion and as this is a forum...

As I say, I think people have become spoilt by the success of the previous two seasons and have lost sight of where we are and how competitive this division is.

Of course the manager and chairman target a top two finish. They will be doing the same this season too, because they target winning every game and, if you achieve that, you will be in the top two. They neve ever said it was what they expected, they stated it as an aim, with a clear caveat that it wouldn't be easy. But, for reasons best known to themselves, people appear to think that if a manager or chairman says "We're trying to do this.." it becomes a promise. That is completely unreasonable of people.

We've shown we're capable of competing at the right end of the division for the last two seasons and it is obvious that changes need to be made for the next campaign - the manager has identified that himself. But for people to suddenly turn on a manager who has brought us such a solid level of success and a competitive team at a high level is, to my mind, ridiculous and spoilt behaviour.

The sad thing is, when Gary is gone in 10 years time, if the team is struggling, the self same people will be reminding us all how much better things were under Johnson.

I was a season ticket holder for several years whilst living here in Norfolk, until other commitments made it completely impossible to justify getting one anymore. I miss it a lot and I do think there are people who could do to have a similar period of cold turkey, to remind them just how fortunate they are to have such a good club, with a good chairman and a good manager to support. Some seem to have lost sight of that on the back of one season that petered out to a position still far in excess of most we've had in the last 20 or so years.

I'm not going to go in to who Deserves a starting place or not but what i will say is there will be no harm in bringing

in more competition / cover in ALL AREAS of the team to help more when suspension and injuries hit as that would be healthy for the squad, as at times we missed carey and were a bit short for cover down the left back area!! but i feel GJ will bring in a few in the summer to enhance the squad.. Yes we could have done better in terms of making the play offs but we have not had a disaster of a season as we are not charlton, southampton and norwich, they have fans with a right to moan ex prem clubs gone down the toilet, ok we ended up 10th but it is not a bad position to end up with, some need to manage their expectations of this club and what city can actually achieve on the budget that other clubs have to what city have, ambition is healthy but lets not run before we can walk to which i fet we did last season in the play off final, all great fun but were we ready for it?? GJ has had 2 seasons at this level and has done well, he is still learning but learning fast.

city will improve have faith.

Answer this why is there so much written about LJ on here then.Is it because we are spoilt brats,is it.Every game I go down there cheer my heart out for the Club and the player in question,but when he doesnt play well am i not allowed to criticise him,why is that because hes the Gaffers son.

I haven't said you shouldn't criticise him. Criticise away.

I asked why a manager should have his hand forced into selling a player he wants in the squad, just because you and a few others don't rate him and are determined to undermine the player and the manager with suggestions of nepotism (as you have above, twice).

I was a season ticket holder for several years whilst living here in Norfolk, until other commitments made it completely impossible to justify getting one anymore. I miss it a lot and I do think there are people who could do to have a similar period of cold turkey, to remind them just how fortunate they are to have such a good club, with a good chairman and a good manager to support. Some seem to have lost sight of that on the back of one season that petered out to a position still far in excess of most we've had in the last 20 or so years.

Good work - I like what you've done there!

I do find it odd. I've watched City since circa 82/83 & pretty much loved every minute of it. Obviously success is better than failure but I do think some set the "success" bar pretty high. To hear some folk you think going to watch your club is a chore or a sentence.

The reason so much is written about LJ is because he is the managers son, not because he has a stinker every week. When he doesn't play well there is hysteria surrounding his performance. When Jamie Mcallister or McCombe or Sproule or McIndoe (four players who have been woeful regularly IMO this season) don't play well there is sometimes a thread criticising their performances, but it never has the legs that a LJ thread does. All, quite simply, because some fans are that naive they think he is only on the pitch because his Dad is manager.

You are right, there are some people in the Dolman who spout bile at LJ and the vast majority of the time the other people around them just laugh at them because they make themselves look ridiculous with their blinkered over the top reaction towards an LJ mistake.

There are are better midfielders than LJ out there, but he does a job for us and consistently produces performances that are at the limit of his capabilities. That we don't have a better midfielder who can regularly perform like LJ does and who can score ten goals a season and create another twenty goals is not his problem.

Good work - I like what you've done there!

I do find it odd. I've watched City since circa 82/83 & pretty much loved every minute of it. Obviously success is better than failure but I do think some set the "success" bar pretty high. To hear some folk you think going to watch your club is a chore or a sentence.

That wasn't deliberate!

If it had been, I'd have cited my two favourite players as Barnard and Matthews, obviously.

The reason so much is written about LJ is because he is the managers son, not because he has a stinker every week. When he doesn't play well there is hysteria surrounding his performance. When Jamie Mcallister or McCombe or Sproule or McIndoe (four players who have been woeful regularly IMO this season) don't play well there is sometimes a thread criticising their performances, but it never has the legs that a LJ thread does. All, quite simply, because some fans are that naive they think he is only on the pitch because his Dad is manager.

You are right, there are some people in the Dolman who spout bile at LJ and the vast majority of the time the other people around them just laugh at them because they make themselves look ridiculous with their blinkered over the top reaction towards an LJ mistake.

There are are better midfielders than LJ out there, but he does a job for us and consistently produces performances that are at the limit of his capabilities. That we don't have a better midfielder who can regularly perform like LJ does and who can score ten goals a season and create another twenty goals is not his problem.

This is true. I'd add that for some reason (& its prob the same at all clubs), there is always a player (or 2) that in the eyes of the fans are the scapegoat. Stoke by any yardstick are having the season of their dreams... but apparently Richard Cresswell got booed the other week. It doesn't make it right but I think it's much the same all over.

As I say, I think people have become spoilt by the success of the previous two seasons and have lost sight of where we are and how competitive this division is.

Of course the manager and chairman target a top two finish. They will be doing the same this season too, because they target winning every game and, if you achieve that, you will be in the top two. They neve ever said it was what they expected, they stated it as an aim, with a clear caveat that it wouldn't be easy. But, for reasons best known to themselves, people appear to think that if a manager or chairman says "We're trying to do this.." it becomes a promise. That is completely unreasonable of people.

We've shown we're capable of competing at the right end of the division for the last two seasons and it is obvious that changes need to be made for the next campaign - the manager has identified that himself. But for people to suddenly turn on a manager who has brought us such a solid level of success and a competitive team at a high level is, to my mind, ridiculous and spoilt behaviour.

The sad thing is, when Gary is gone in 10 years time, if the team is struggling, the self same people will be reminding us all how much better things were under Johnson.

As you say its a forum and your opinion is as worthy as anyones - not more or less..

people have not suddenly turned on GJ so far as I can see - a few tongue in cheek posts about him leaving do not reflect the view of the vast majority of fans.

I don't like how the bloke comes across to be honest, and I daresay that's a few shared by others, but I don't think he should go.

Its the people who leap to his defence after a lousy run of results with nothing appearing to be done to arrest that slide which is ridiculous.

We are not a competitive team at present - certainly not with the teams who finished above us anyway.

He is not that good that he cannot be criticised - he himself said 'judge me at the end of the season' - well some people have done just that, and don't appear to be kissing his ass.

He has identified that changes are needed - we will see what he does about that, and where, and like every other coach in the country he will be judged on what he is doing in the present, not two seasons ago.

Better managers than GJ get criticised - comes with the territory.

Norwich City as a classic example of how good they had it under Nigel Worthington. They forced him out and the rest, as they say, is history..........

So how often have you watched bristol city play this season Edson

This is true. I'd add that for some reason (& its prob the same at all clubs), there is always a player (or 2) that in the eyes of the fans are the scapegoat. Stoke by any yardstick are having the season of their dreams... but apparently Richard Cresswell got booed the other week. It doesn't make it right but I think it's much the same all over.

I did read that he'd been booed and the Stoke fans retort was that there very existence in the Premier League hinged on Cresswell never making an appearance for them again. Harsh. I suppose we will always wonder if Lee Johnson was called Lee Smith, whether he's get half as much stick or even any at all? The cynics will obviously say if he was called Lee Smith, would he even get a game?! I'm not against criticism of players, but everything in moderation and it isn't with Lee Johnson.

SL says that LJ deserves his place in the team, and so do I. However, what SJ didn't say was whether he felt that LJ deserved his place in the team for every match, no matter how poor previous performances might have been.

Archived