IGNORED

Lj Deserves His Place Says Steve Lansdown

big p

I can only go on what their fans say round here when I speak to them.

Peter Grant, who took over from Worthington was given money to strengthen the squad - he bought Earnshaw, Cureton and Ostemobor to name but three. They finished safe from relegation in 2007, but Earnshaw and Etuhu left and were never really replaced, resulting in a dreadful start to the 07-08 season which saw Grant sacked and Roeder brought in.

Roeder, from what I am told, was a terrible appointment. He fought off relegation in his first season through use of the loan market, but never looked to replace these loans with permanent signings this season. I think I'm right in saying they had 8 loanees at one point, as well as letting their talisman, Huckerby, go. Whilst the loanees were ok when he was firefighting, they were never a long term solution and the club's results suffered again this season as players came, played a few games, and left again. eventually culminating in Roeder being sacked.

Bryan Gunn, much like Tinnion (and Shearer), was a well-liked figure around the club and should never have taken the job he was ill-equipped to take on. But, again like Tinnion, it was too good an opportunity for him to turn down and he thought his love, knowledge and passion for the club would be enough to pull them out of the mire - it wasn't.

I can't really comment on the club's finances. People may complain about the money put into the stadium, but they fill it, so I'd be surprised if it was that much of an issue. Having said that, there has been a buy out attempt, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was reignited now, with the club's value presumably far less than it was.

When Worthington was manager, they finished 9th in 05-06 and were 14th in the 06-07 season when he was sacked. What those fans wouldn't give to be between 9th and 14th now, hey?

Whilst things may not seem perfect at Bristol City, we'd do well to remember stories like this when we complain about not progressing or not competing with the top six. There are 23 other clubs trying to achieve the same thing as us, and even if Alex Ferguson was in charge of all of them, three would go up and three would go down - that's sport. But whilst we're competing and not struggling over a season, I think we are far better served persevering with the management team we have than assuming change will make us better, as that isn't always the case.

Sorry but I don't understand what you are saying,I don't think anyone on this thread has said get rid GJ.They are just questioning his team selection.

But we are all spoilt arnt we.

So SL thinks he deserves his place in the team as do the manager.So next season it looks like the he will be staying.

he says"If he plays poorly, which he doesn't do that often in my opinion, people will always say he is being kept in the team because his father is the manager and try to put him down because of it."

I respect our chairman and I think he will become a legend but I'm frightened that a rift between the club and the fans will become out of hand next season.

A cant remember any other city player causing such a stink between fans,so surly for the sake of unity,is it better the player leaves.I have personally stated that I don't think hes good enough this season,but thats my oppinion.

What did you expect him to say?

This forum is used regularly by only a minority of City fans. It's only a very small minority of those people who feel the need to regularly post negative opinions about Lee Johnson. Yet both Gary Johnson and Steve Lansdown have felt the need to come out in support of LJ.

Why do they feel the need to pander to such a small insignificant amount of supporters?

Is LJ a good championship midfield player, my opinion no.

Is he worth is place in the team, my opinion no.

Is there better players at the club to play in is position, my opinion yes.

Do I base my opinion on his Dad being the Manager. No

Do I base my opinion on what I see on the pitch and on purley footballing matters. Yes

SL was wrong to say that fans only criticise LJ because he is the Manager son, I have found that not to be the case if anything it has the opposite effect. The Manager is popular , he have brought us promotion and a play off final why should we then have a pop at his boy?

I could understand fans having a go a LJ if Gary was unsussessful and not liked.

For SL to come out and stick up for LJ like this spells like a political spin doctor. Surley LJ should be able to do is talking on the pitch but the point is he is incapable of rising to the required standard and that is why the Chairman is required to get involved in footballing matters.

Is SL going to come out and give is opinion on every other player? Is he going to say that Gavin Williams is worth is place in the team when he is on the bench? SL have always kept out of footballing matters in public, I think he should of stayed quiet on this one.

This forum is used regularly by only a minority of City fans. It's only a very small minority of those people who feel the need to regularly post negative opinions about Lee Johnson. Yet both Gary Johnson and Steve Lansdown have felt the need to come out in support of LJ.

Why do they feel the need to pander to such a small insignificant amount of supporters?

I live in Bedminster and drink in Bedminster nearly everyone I know is a City fan and everyone I speak to about the club says the smae thing about LJ that is he is not good enough to be in the team. These are not fans who use the Forum but fans in their 30s, 40 , 50 ,60, who have been supporters all their lives. It is not just a few. The few are the few on this forum who actullay belive he brings something tto the team.

This forum has over 5,000 registered members and usually there are 4 times as many people watching the forum as there are logged in which probably puts the readership into the 20k + margin. It's far from an insignificant minority and in fact is a better measure of supporter views than any other than a detailed market research survey. Views on here aren't that different to those you hear in and around pubs in BS3 nor on the radio, nor at work in Bristol and it does seem to be the majority that questions LJ's guaranteed starting place.

Is LJ a good championship midfield player, my opinion no.

Is he worth is place in the team, my opinion no.

Is there better players at the club to play in is position, my opinion yes.

Do I base my opinion on his Dad being the Manager. No

Do I base my opinion on what I see on the pitch and on purley footballing matters. Yes

SL was wrong to say that fans only criticise LJ because he is the Manager son, I have found that not to be the case if anything it has the opposite effect. The Manager is popular , he have brought us promotion and a play off final why should we then have a pop at his boy?

I could understand fans having a go a LJ if Gary was unsussessful and not liked.

For SL to come out and stick up for LJ like this spells like a political spin doctor. Surley LJ should be able to do is talking on the pitch but the point is he is incapable of rising to the required standard and that is why the Chairman is required to get involved in footballing matters.

Is SL going to come out and give is opinion on every other player? Is he going to say that Gavin Williams is worth is place in the team when he is on the bench? SL have always kept out of footballing matters in public, I think he should of stayed quiet on this one.

Why?

He's entitled to his opinion as well isn't he?

Why?

Because by making any sort of comment he gets himself into a debate about team selection which as chairman he really ought to stay away from. Not really a big deal though, as he's agreeing with the manager's position.

Why?

Why don't he make a statement about David Noble or Lee Trundle not being pick. Ofcouse he is entitled to have is a opinion voiced in public but what happends next time opinions is different to that of GJ.

Why don't he make a statement about David Noble or Lee Trundle not being pick. Ofcouse he is entitled to have is a opinion voiced in public but what happends next time opinions is different to that of GJ.

Just out of interest, if his opinion happened to agree with yours, would you still have come out and said that he should have kept out of this debate?

Just out of interest, if his opinion happened to agree with yours, would you still have come out and said that he should have kept out of this debate?

Yes. I never agreed with the Chairman making public statements about team selection. That domain should be left to the Manager.

Yes. I never agreed with the Chairman making public statements about team selection. That domain should be left to the Manager.

After reading some of the comments you have previously made, I can't believe you have just written that! :shocking:

I guess because SL doesn't believe that it is such an insignificant amount of supporters who hold the view.

GJ doesn't give a toss what some fans think on this subject, whatever proportion of the fan base they may represent - his perogative.

Like others have said, this forum is pretty well subscribed, and I think its more representative of views than something cooked up by MORI.

I wish SL had remained quiet on this to be honest - has he commented on McIndoe's season, Basso's recent glitches, McCombe's fall from grace? - no no and no again.

Although it is hard to tell, I feel as though the majority are not LJ fans and feel our team would improve with him not in it. Regardless of opinion etc I just think it would be better for LJ to leave as he gets a lot of stick for being GJ's son and always will. It divides the fans, maybe it divides the players too? We may never know.

As for my opinion- I don't rate LJ at all. I didn't even think he was that good in League 1 and he is nowhere near good enough for a side who want to be move on in the future. He doesn't ever win a midfield battle or overpower another midfield. He is OK at passing but not amazing- he is good at the five yard sideways pass though. His setpieces are dire yet him and McIndoe (equally as dire) seem to be the only allowed to take them. He just isn't very creative for a so called creative midfielder. He seems to have many games where he goes missing then 2 or 3 good ones.

I'm not sure what he really adds as such and I sincerly hope he is not regarded as untouchable.

Although it is hard to tell, I feel as though the majority are not LJ fans and feel our team would improve with him not in it. Regardless of opinion etc I just think it would be better for LJ to leave as he gets a lot of stick for being GJ's son and always will. It divides the fans, maybe it divides the players too? We may never know.

As for my opinion- I don't rate LJ at all. I didn't even think he was that good in League 1 and he is nowhere near good enough for a side who want to be move on in the future. He doesn't ever win a midfield battle or overpower another midfield. He is OK at passing but not amazing- he is good at the five yard sideways pass though. His setpieces are dire yet him and McIndoe (equally as dire) seem to be the only allowed to take them. He just isn't very creative for a so called creative midfielder. He seems to have many games where he goes missing then 2 or 3 good ones.

I'm not sure what he really adds as such and I sincerly hope he is not regarded as untouchable.

lj has been one of the best players in a poor side over the last 10 games, he was our best player by a mile at Burnley in the first half, in the second he was as bad as anybody, every time he has a good game which has been very regular in the last 10-15 games there is no mention of him at all on this forum !!!, as soon as he has a bad game its all over the forum, SL was right in saying he doesnt often have 2-3 bad games, i think thats compared to the rest of the team !!, Reading at home he had a shocker, and should have been left out, but next game he scored the winner against Southampton, so GJ was correct, he isnt a bad player he just isnt Marvin who wins tackles as does Skuse but if you asked either of them who they want playing along side them they would IMO say Lj, he is a very gifted footballer in his own right, he knows his job in the team as does it 90% of the time, yes he has played for his dad alot, but they have been successful and how do we know how much of that isnt down to LJ, after all the greatest manager of all time had a player who wasnt popular John McGovern but they won everything !!!, lets give him a break he is a nice polite lad who is giving his all to the cause!!, we would miss him if he wasnt there.

this is why this forum is the best there is because you can have your say, but this is now turning into a witch hunt and that isnt good for the club, lets back him if he is here next season and trust GJ to make the correct moves.

So you agree with the chairman then, who said, "I would never deem to tell my manager how to select his team and I would never make any discussions about that public."

If someone can tell me where Steve Lansdown says "Lee Johnson deserves his place in the team" from that article, feel free to copy and paste it.

This forum has over 5,000 registered members and usually there are 4 times as many people watching the forum as there are logged in which probably puts the readership into the 20k + margin. It's far from an insignificant minority and in fact is a better measure of supporter views than any other than a detailed market research survey. Views on here aren't that different to those you hear in and around pubs in BS3 nor on the radio, nor at work in Bristol and it does seem to be the majority that questions LJ's guaranteed starting place.

I see what you are saying, but I'm sure that GJ and SL aren't basing their comments on what they have heard in and around the pubs in BS3, they're responding to the constant stream of criticism that emanates from here.

I suppose I have no way of actually knowing whether the majority are "for or against" LJ, but what I do see is the fact that every thread on this forum that contains anti LJ posts, is the same names making these comments time after time after time. I'm not going to go through and count them, but I'm pretty sure that it's probably around 10-20 people on here constantly questioning LJ's inclusion in the team. That seems like a very tiny minority to me.

I see what you are saying, but I'm sure that GJ and SL aren't basing their comments on what they have heard in and around the pubs in BS3, they're responding to the constant stream of criticism that emanates from here.

I suppose I have no way of actually knowing whether the majority are "for or against" LJ, but what I do see is the fact that every thread on this forum that contains anti LJ posts, is the same names making these comments time after time after time. I'm not going to go through and count them, but I'm pretty sure that it's probably around 10-20 people on here constantly questioning LJ's inclusion in the team. That seems like a very tiny minority to me.

But in fairness its the same 5 or 6 people on here can see no wrong in our performances.People are entitled to an opinion and the performances and results speak for themselves.0 goal differance,1 win in the last 12.But some people will say we had a good season,I honestly don't think we have(and yes I remember where we were 2 seasons ago).Our football has been far too negative at times,Playing 1 striker at home is not positive football.

Am I spoilt,I don't think I am,I'm just ambitious,and I think the club is.

After reading some of the comments you have previously made, I can't believe you have just written that! :shocking:

I am of course refering to the relationship and between Chairman and Manager, I don't reallly understand how that is so hard to belive.

Maybe you are are adressing the comments I make about team selection, well that is of course a diffrent matter. I am just a paying punter with no influence on team affairs, I like you and every person on this forum have the right to question team selection on this forum. SL also haves the right But he can do it in private and of course owning the club he has real influence.

When any Chairman from any club starts voicing his opinon in Public he have then started a precedent which in the future May cause problems.

What,I don't know what your on about???????

Christ mate - you put a topic on that is going to cause friction, then you start having pops at anyone that disagrees. Next time you don't understand our Swedish friend instead of coming over like a bit of a ######, why not reply back in Swedish, I'd love to see that.

Christ mate - you put a topic on that is going to cause friction, then you start having pops at anyone that disagrees. Next time you don't understand our Swedish friend instead of coming over like a bit of a ######, why not reply back in Swedish, I'd love to see that.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I sometimes wonder why people go to football if they find it such a tedious experience that only makes them whinge.

As a City fan who now lives a long way from Bristol, some fans who are fortunate enough to be able to go to every home game sound like spoilt children on here, frankly.

We're competing in a very tough division against 23 other teams who also want to sign the best players and fight for promotion. Yet all some of our supporters seem to do is moan and whinge about how crap we are, how boring it is to watch City and how the manager and chairman lie to the press to sell season tickets.

I suggest some of you move away from Bristol for a while and maybe, just maybe, a few of you will appreciate what you had when it's gone.

So he should get rid of a decent player because you and few others don't rate him?

Perhaps you could tell him who he should buy, who he should pick and where they should sit in the wage structure while you're in the business of forcing the manager's hand.

Spot on , quality post and sums up exactly how i feel and have done for the last couple of years.

Agree with every word of that post.

I think what's really irritated me about the LJ situation this season is the way that playing him continually has resulted in us tucking in the wingers to protect the midfield more. If weacknowledge the need to do that to play LJ (and I think the manager has) then surely we have to look seriously at other options. But we haven't really tried them out.

If we don't try other options in the middle of a 442, particularly Williams who looks made for it, then this criticism and the sadly personal abuse that goes along with it will persist.

What rubbish Nibor. Do you really believe that the wingers tuck in because LJ is not up to the required standard. So on that bases then, Ronaldo and Giggs tuck in to protect who ???? Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes uuummmm i don't think so, how about Joe Cole and Wright -Phillips tucking in for Chelsea a few years ago what is that for ..... to protect Ballack, Essien or perhaps Lampard....

More and more teams are "tucking in" the wingers to make it harder for the opposition to pick them up and to expand the midfield NOT TO PROTECT A SO CALLED WEAK LINK imo of course (:

What rubbish Nibor. Do you really believe that the wingers tuck in because LJ is not up to the required standard. So on that bases then, Ronaldo and Giggs tuck in to protect who ???? Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes uuummmm i don't think so, how about Joe Cole and Wright -Phillips tucking in for Chelsea a few years ago what is that for ..... to protect Ballack, Essien or perhaps Lampard....

More and more teams are "tucking in" the wingers to make it harder for the opposition to pick them up and to expand the midfield NOT TO PROTECT A SO CALLED WEAK LINK imo of course (:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think GJ has said exactly the same on World - in The Championship you are up to some very good teams and they therfore need to tuck in.

More or less depending on tactics.

Archived