IGNORED

Styvar Off To Skoda Xanthi?

bristolcitysweden

Every foreign player who comes to the UK and proves to be not very good "didn't settle". It's a crap reason. I've worked abroad in several different countries, I've worked with many people from foreign countries in the UK. Never seen anyone have problems settling, particularly when they're earning 10 times what they did previously.

Why do you assume his family aren't here? I'd be amazed if that was the case. And money might not cure homesickness but the ability to fly your friends over or go back for a visit does massively alleviate it.

I'm very willing to be proved wrong on this but I'm sure it was said that, initially, he would be without his family.

I don't think it is a crap reason at all, actually on the contrary I think it is a very adequate reason.

You seem to refer back to money as the solver of all 'ills.'

Look at it from his point of view - he came to England speakling little of the language, {I believe} without his family, with virtually no friends. He was thrust straight into the first team where he made little to no impact and was, almost immediately, cast under the spotlight. After a few initial lacklustre performances he is resigned to County Cup matches and subsequently loses his International place. His confidence is rock bottom, he is surely, within a couple of months, questionning his decision to move. He is in both a playing and mental hole and nothing since then - that we know of, has helped him out of it.

Of course money provides the opportunity for flights etc, but relatively he was a million milles from being a 'star' at home with family and friends around him.

There have been flashes, albeit fleeting ones, and if he leaves in the summer I believe it will be because he 'hasnt settled' rather than he doesnt have the ability to perform at Championship level.

Occasionally (and I do mean occasionally) a public figure like GJ should hold their hands up, admit to a mistake and offer no excuse for it. And then get on with the job. It clears the air and stops people having old gripes to bring up.

I don't disagree with this however I cannot say it frustrates me as it isnt difficult to read between the lines.

Before this rumour surfaced my personal priority was;

Right Wing,

Left Back,

Centre Back - if their are departures,

Centre Midfield.

Striker

If this rumour proves accurate then 'Striker' immediately leapfrogs all before it and, not just tops the priority list, the temptation must surely be there to spend a similar amount to the Maynard deal on an up and coming striker who complements Maynard and put to bed the Ashton Gate Striking merry-go-round for the forseeable future.

I don't see the need for a prioritised list of positions to fill, we need to fill all of them and we can work on all of them at the same time.

I'd certainly like to see a Steve Brooker type centre forward come in to play with Maynard, a powerful striker but not a one dimensional target man.

If we want to progress finding an all round central midfielder, a right winger who can cross and a left back who can pass are equally important IMO.

Murray has been at the club a decade, earns about a quarter of what Adebola wants, and was massively important to the dressing room.

I don't buy that s**t to be honest, if they want a happy dressing room perhaps they can hire a comedian to do some stand up at a fraction of the cost.

He was past it but he has a future at the club in coaching.

Makes no sense, he was way past playing so why didn't they offer him just a coaching role?

Adebola is not capable of 2 years at this level, it would be like paying him £16k a week instead of £8k. He's not even that good to be honest, rubbish, he was player of the season he has one good game in three or four and was dire for the first half of the season just gone, your opinion not mine - strange he turned it on as his deal ran out.

We should get a younger strong centre forward in to build a partnership with Maynard for years to come. Akinde in a couple of years.

You can make all the excuses you like, but I think that he was very poorly managed. After a very short time, he was virtually sidelined, and when we had a chance to have a proper look at the end of the season it was not taken. As I have said before, he showed little, but under the circumstances, that is not really surprising. Some players need time and effort to develop them, and that does not seem to be one of GJ's strengths.

As for Trundle, a lot of us thought at the time that we paid well over the odds, and all the Jack supporters I know just could not believe their luck when we paid that much. Mind you, we could have used him during our awful run in, as the team was totally devoid of creativity. The reults may not have improved (They could not have got much worse though), but he would have been more interesting to watch that the hard-working, hard-running, but deadly dull teams that we put out.

You seem to refer back to money as the solver of all 'ills.'

Not in general at all but in the case of working abroad you must keep in mind that money is by far the main reason people come here to work and that's true of footballers as much as anyone else. You're painting a bit of a "woe is me" picture and my experience is that that is not ever the case. People stick it out for the money that they can send back home and for the difference it will make to their lives when their relatively short stay here is over.

I think the fact that he had nobody else after him and had barely made the fringes of a minor national team at 28 and never been able to get a move to a bigger league before makes it much more likely that when we thought we saw something in him everybody else missed, we were simply wrong.

I don't see the need for a prioritised list of positions to fill, we need to fill all of them and we can work on all of them at the same time.

I'd certainly like to see a Steve Brooker type centre forward come in to play with Maynard, a powerful striker but not a one dimensional target man.

If we want to progress finding an all round central midfielder, a right winger who can cross and a left back who can pass are equally important IMO.

I very much agree.

The only cause for 'prioritising' is to show that, from my point of view, right wing (Sproule/Williams out of position) is of greater need than Left Back (McAlister.)

Totally agree about Steve Brooker type centre forward, especially if the general way the team plays is not going to change from last season. The team will definately need a strikers who can create chances themselves and play of bits and pieces. Brooker himself proved this with the few cameo appearences his fitness allowed.

screech I agree on Murray, I'd have offered him a coaching role only. I suspect though that his "playing contract" was for much less than the previous year.

Adebola wasn't my player of the season, Fontaine by a mile for me - almost the only one worth a vote IMO. I think Adebola was only good in flashes in the second half of the season and over the season and a half we've had him I think he's been good about one game in three. Our results at this level with him in the side are worse than without. Regardless of what you think of him as a player right now though, does anyone really think he will be worth even a place on the bench a year from now? I don't and I don't want to pay him two years wages for 30 70 minute games next season.

I have seen him playing just two times,so it is difficult to judge him..but if he has played only a few times, I don't bet too much on him, even if it is true that he had 'illness'.. (maybe it is also a problem of the confidence that GJ hasn't on him)

I have seen him playing just two times,so it is difficult to judge him..but if he has played only a few times, I don't bet too much on him, even if it is true that he had 'illness'.. (maybe it is also a problem of the confidence that GJ hasn't on him)

peter is that you are leaving bristol for greece

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS ME BEING RIGHT AGAIN!....... :noexpression:

GJ made an amazing signing and saw things others couldn't and then Styvar didnt settle, he hates money and his wage hasnt cured 'all ills' and actuallly he throws some of his earnings in the river severn. He races tens against twenty's as he is very bored because his family are in Siberia and he doesnt have any friends because he cant speak english. Once, when fishing for sharks off the 2nd severn crossing I saw him riding a pedalo in a banana suit, i assumed he was trying to peddle back to slovakia through middle england but he wasnt quick enough. I threw him a melon but he miss controlled it and fell off into the dirty water, this may have been where he caught his season long illness as he swallowed alot of water.

I'm fairly sure that has covered eveything!

He will now leave and sign for Germany on loan untill last year.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS ME BEING RIGHT AGAIN!....... :noexpression:

GJ made an amazing signing and saw things others couldn't and then Styvar didnt settle, he hates money and his wage hasnt cured 'all ills' and actuallly he throws some of his earnings in the river severn. He races tens against twenty's as he is very bored because his family are in Siberia and he doesnt have any friends because he cant speak english. Once, when fishing for sharks off the 2nd severn crossing I saw him riding a pedalo in a banana suit, i assumed he was trying to peddle back to slovakia through middle england but he wasnt quick enough. I threw him a melon but he miss controlled it and fell off into the dirty water, this may have been where he caught his season long illness as he swallowed alot of water.

I'm fairly sure that has covered eveything!

He will now leave and sign for Germany on loan untill last year.

Forgot your pill again Dan . . . . .

If true, clearly he hasnt settled and the a quick move is in the best interest of all parties. In a twisted way if Styvar does leave this summer Johnson should perhaps be congratulated, not for the signing which he clearly got wrong, but on his public admission as such.

Interesting article in The Times today along these lines, but not City related - but relevant to this point!

Basically it was saying that Fergie needed to bin Berbatov & Tevez, and admit a mistake had been made. Benitez is the master at this, if he ****s up he gets rid off.

Not seen enough of Styvar to pass judgement, but would be extremely embarassing to have Carle then Styvar disappear after 6 months in consecutive summers.......

Guest DanC

Don't get all this rubbish about settling in, I know many foreign lads who came over to this country on there own without family and friends and there english was much poorer than Styvar's is yet they had no problem settling in, Slovakians can generally understand and speak Polish so with Bristol's large population of eastern Europeans surely it wouldn't have been hard for a professional football player to find friends over here. I would suggest it would be harder for him to settle in to Greece than it has been here considering all of the above. From what I have been told Bristol has everything Slovakia doesn't and the ones I know love it here so I can't see how it would be any different with our Pete. Maybe he just happens to be another Bridges who liked to feign injuries.

Does anyone actually think GJ knows how to sign a striker - or even what he wants from a striker?

Maynard was there for all to see and we stumped up the money, Akinde may come good - but we have not seen much yet, and for me none of the other strikers or forwards we have tried under GJ stand the test of time, Font's was easily best player of the season last year not Dele. I am not yet convinced GJ knows what he wants from a striker and until he knows that he could keep making mistakes with his decisions and those scouting for him have not set the world on fire - wait and hope I guess.

It seems GJ has quite a big problem signing strikers. We haven't yet had one who has set the world alight. Adebola was great at what he does and I guess his record wasn't that bad for a big target man. Maynard would have got more had we changed our sthyle of play. Some of Johnson's previous striker signings were conference players - Smith, Madjo and Savage spring to mind.

Is is rather hard to find bargain strikers you know.

GJ and his team have been looking for a bargain striker, rather then shelling out another 2+ m again on a proven striker. Although saying that, 2m only gets you a proven league 1 striker.

Its not as easy as a lot of people seem to think. Any number of strikers with proven track records in well known league's will cost loads of cash. Simple as that. Meteb came with the record that we all wanted plus a ''resonable'' fee, but came with a large peice of baggage that not even a camel could carry.

To bring in the striker a lot of moaners in this thread want would cost 5m. We don't have that sort of money.

So for the time being, we will have to take a few punts and eventually, one will work out. Then we'll sell him for a large profit a year later. Thats just the way it is.

It is frustrating for everyone that we have been shooting blanks regarding a number of our striker signings over the past few years but GJ buys the best he can get his hands on in relation to budget and availability.

I am of the view that signing a striker is the most difficult position on the pitch, shared by many i am sure.

One thing many should credit GJ with, however, is that he is nothing if not decisive; he is not content to be more patient with Styvar and this goes for many players in the squad. If they do not fit in, do not perform or do not have the correct mentality he moves them on. A week or so ago he was looking forward to Styvar upping his game with us next season; that, i am sure, was in his mind at the time. But things move fast in football and we do not know if another striker has quietly become available coupled with an interest in Greece for the Hungarian.

Meteb clearly showed GJ and his team can sell the club but that he cannot be in control of the stature and pay level once they arrive and get down to the fine detail. it must be a huge challenge. I hope the club continues to provide the support and ambition level he most certainly has.

So on transfers it must surely be better he is decisive and makes a decision, hoping it will be right, than sit and do nothing. I'd like to see some arm chair fans trying to do a better job of landing the elusive striker within the parameters GJ is working with.

Is is rather hard to find bargain strikers you know.

Maybe we should go and pinch Scunthorpe's scouting system because they sure as hell seem to find them season on season.

Styvar struggled even when I watched him in the reserves.

From the same article - 'With Adebola, and also Lee Trundle, looking likely to move on, City now seem certain to move for two strikers this summer.'

Do the Post know something we don't or are they speculating? The latter I assume.

Styvar struggled even when I watched him in the reserves.

From the same article - 'With Adebola, and also Lee Trundle, looking likely to move on, City now seem certain to move for two strikers this summer.'

Do the Post know something we don't or are they speculating? The latter I assume.

who knows but that would be 3 strikers going and only 2 coming in?? hmmm.

Archived