IGNORED

Styvar Off To Skoda Xanthi?

bristolcitysweden

I think it is pretty certain Trundle will not be here, meaning we are likely to sign 3 strikers this summer, as we will have only Maynard and Akinde left, and we nornally work with 5 in that position. It also means we have players lined up. I am still not ruling out Lita, whom despite his attitude, if turned in the right direction, with Maynard would be excellent in this league. If not him, there will be at least one of the strikers who for us will be a major signing. So the Harewood type link does not surprise me.

This is the summer where we totally reshape our squad, it was bound to happen, we have been weak in certain areas for a bit too long. Now we build for step 2 , and that is more about getting automatic promotion rather than consolidation. I am prety sure we will all being delighted at some of ourt signings, that will show a very serious intent.

Trundle will move on if we can find someone who will pay up a large part of the year remaining on his near £10k a week contract which is not particularly likely.

Lita will definitely not be coming here. He will go to a London club or somewhere obscure abroad. Guaranteed. And if GJ had actually got to meet him he wouldn't want him.

Harewood is on £30k a week so that is a non starter but a player like that (powerful but not one dimensional) would be good IMO. Preferably one in his early or mid 20s so we could maybe have an actual partnership up front instead of two disconnected players.

I am concerned that we will end up with a 6 and a half foot monster to hit long balls at again.

Trundle will move on if we can find someone who will pay up a large part of the year remaining on his near £10k a week contract which is not particularly likely.

Lita will definitely not be coming here. He will go to a London club or somewhere obscure abroad. Guaranteed. And if GJ had actually got to meet him he wouldn't want him.

Harewood is on £30k a week so that is a non starter but a player like that (powerful but not one dimensional) would be good IMO. Preferably one in his early or mid 20s so we could maybe have an actual partnership up front instead of two disconnected players.

I am concerned that we will end up with a 6 and a half foot monster to hit long balls at again.

'What's that comin' over the hill, is it....?' :yahoo:

I think it is pretty certain Trundle will not be here, meaning we are likely to sign 3 strikers this summer, as we will have only Maynard and Akinde left, and we nornally work with 5 in that position. It also means we have players lined up. I am still not ruling out Lita, whom despite his attitude, if turned in the right direction, with Maynard would be excellent in this league. If not him, there will be at least one of the strikers who for us will be a major signing. So the Harewood type link does not surprise me.

This is the summer where we totally reshape our squad, it was bound to happen, we have been weak in certain areas for a bit too long. Now we build for step 2 , and that is more about getting automatic promotion rather than consolidation. I am prety sure we will all being delighted at some of ourt signings, that will show a very serious intent.

I'm with you on this one. I know GJ has recently ruled out Lita making a return to City, but he must be interested because he made a couple of bids for him in January. Who knows...

Don't get all this rubbish about settling in, I know many foreign lads who came over to this country on there own without family and friends and there english was much poorer than Styvar's is yet they had no problem settling in, Slovakians can generally understand and speak Polish so with Bristol's large population of eastern Europeans surely it wouldn't have been hard for a professional football player to find friends over here. I would suggest it would be harder for him to settle in to Greece than it has been here considering all of the above. From what I have been told Bristol has everything Slovakia doesn't and the ones I know love it here so I can't see how it would be any different with our Pete. Maybe he just happens to be another Bridges who liked to feign injuries.

I appreciate where you are coming from. I'm currently living in Italy (it's raining if anyone is interested, just as I believe the West Country is experiencing the hottest day of the year so far, typical!). I'm studying not working so the situation is slightly different, and having been here since last September I am coming home in 2 weeks. With me, and others I have met, the motivation is not money, but education, which is slightly different, but the different ways in which people have reacted to being here is nuts. Some love it, some have hated it. Everyone reacts differently, and even if others have settle easily, and others are happy because of the dollar, some will still miss home like a they've had their heart ripped out. I'm just saying that not everyone is the same. But I I also see yours and Nibor's point.

And on the point of Johnson and strikers, do we have an 'attacking coach' at all? I'm not accusing Johnson of not knowing what he's looking, but an extra someone on the coaching staff who knows about strikers/attacking could be an asset, to help our play, and future acquisitions. Just a random thought! And probably a weird/useless one, but what else am I to use the forum for.....

I'm just glad the club has moved on to the stage where were letting players go because there not good enough rather than selling players because we have to gary must have a few strikers in mind and i would expect them to sign before styvar leaves good times

I appreciate where you are coming from. I'm currently living in Italy (it's raining if anyone is interested, just as I believe the West Country is experiencing the hottest day of the year so far, typical!). I'm studying not working so the situation is slightly different, and having been here since last September I am coming home in 2 weeks. With me, and others I have met, the motivation is not money, but education, which is slightly different, but the different ways in which people have reacted to being here is nuts. Some love it, some have hated it. Everyone reacts differently, and even if others have settle easily, and others are happy because of the dollar, some will still miss home like a they've had their heart ripped out. I'm just saying that not everyone is the same. But I I also see yours and Nibor's point.

And on the point of Johnson and strikers, do we have an 'attacking coach' at all? I'm not accusing Johnson of not knowing what he's looking, but an extra someone on the coaching staff who knows about strikers/attacking could be an asset, to help our play, and future acquisitions. Just a random thought! And probably a weird/useless one, but what else am I to use the forum for.....

At 28 Styvar would have been fairly set in his ways and would have been used to his life. If, as reported, his family were not there at the start this will have made the transition even harder to make. I am not saying this is an excuse for why it didnt work out, but I certainly don't agree that it shouldn't and wouldn't have made a difference. As you say, some people, footballers or not, do not adapt to moving countries and cultures, its just how some people are and of course this will effect their work, a 'happy worker is a good worker' and all that.

I'm with you on this one. I know GJ has recently ruled out Lita making a return to City, but he must be interested because he made a couple of bids for him in January. Who knows...

i agree who knows gj said in the evil post thar styvar was going to be great next season so god knows whats going on all i no is that we have to trust gj a little bit :fingerscrossed:

i agree who knows gj said in the evil post thar styvar was going to be great next season so god knows whats going on all i no is that we have to trust gj a little bit :fingerscrossed:

GJ did say or get quoted saying Styvar will be great next season, one month later he's being loaned out. GJ seems to say one thing and mean another. Not sure what the guy is thinking. Sometimes he needs to just tell us straight not tell us any old crap.

At 28 Styvar would have been fairly set in his ways and would have been used to his life. If, as reported, his family were not there at the start this will have made the transition even harder to make. I am not saying this is an excuse for why it didnt work out, but I certainly don't agree that it shouldn't and wouldn't have made a difference. As you say, some people, footballers or not, do not adapt to moving countries and cultures, its just how some people are and of course this will effect their work, a 'happy worker is a good worker' and all that.

People are not robots who react to every potential scenario similarly. Saying 'I know x, y and z who have settled perfectly fine in a foreign country' is a non argument, people react differently and so to use other peoples actions in an attempt to definitively legitimise another is incredibly illogical.

To believe that Styvar settled but is being shipped out due to poor performance or 'not being good enough' is to suggest that Johnson has not only changed his mind since recently commenting on Styvar's involvement next season, but judged him as a player, after choosing to sign him, on the basis of four starts (two against Premier League opposition, one against Premier League bound opposition) and eight substitute outings.

Surely you don't spend money on a player and then decide they arent good enough after such a short space of time.

He {Styvar} hasnt settled, it can only be that or an 'off the field' situation - feigning injury/illness due to unhapiness would be a sensible guess.

When GJ was on Twentyman a couple of weeks ago he said Styva have been ill and next season we would see the real player. So what had changed? Why was GJ spinning us a line when he was on the radio.

I have come the conclusion that I take whatever GJ says with a pinch of salt because he has a habbit of saying things which make him look good.

When GJ was on Twentyman a couple of weeks ago he said Styva have been ill and next season we would see the real player. So what had changed? Why was GJ spinning us a line when he was on the radio.

I have come the conclusion that I take whatever GJ says with a pinch of salt because he has a habbit of saying things which make him look good.

Maybe we should go and pinch S****horpe's scouting system because they sure as hell seem to find them season on season.

It seems to be the service that the rest of the team gives their strikers as their 20+ goals per season srikers don't usually set the world alight at other clubs.

Alternatively, something better may have become available coupled with interest in Styvar..

I was told that GJ didn't rate Styvar a few months back and GJ was always having a go at him, so when he came out on the Twentyman show and said what he said I was very suprised. However GJ may come across on these shows has being candid he his far from it.

If something better have come along why should that affect Styvar after all Dele is leaving and Trundle never gets a look in so we need cover upfront.

I'm just glad the club has moved on to the stage where were letting players go because there not good enough rather than selling players because we have to gary must have a few strikers in mind and i would expect them to sign before styvar leaves good times

Yes, I'm delighted that our club continues to pour my hard-earned season ticket money down the drain. Bad times.

Very curious. Certainly from the article there are fair reasons for him leaving but I feel all together a little uneasy that he is leaving. I did think that given a shot this season he could develop into a very useful tool in our box. Not neccesarily one you would start the job with but one you could use when neccesary. However the signing and then the selling of Nick Carle as well as a near repetition with Styvar here is surely going to warn off any more players from leagues abroad from coming to our club.

The point that really worries me is that we signed him in the first place.

I am absolutely convinced that Styvar only came to our attention when he was seen on British TV scoring in a European match against Villa. Our scout Pete Johnson then did a bit of digging and found he was soon to be out of contract and available and we jumped in with the offer of a trial, 4 goals against Exeter reserves(!) and we took him.

As others have pointed out - did we not wonder that he'd reached 28 without registering on anyone's radar?

I can't believe it's a coincidence that the only European player we've signed under GJ (apart from the loan of Vasko - whatever happened to him?) came directly after he was highlighted on the telly. As far as I know we don't have a scout in Europe so doubt that we had been watching him - as was claimed.

The fee was reported on Zilina 's website as 775,000 euro (£700K+) - why would they lie?, it would be in there accounts eventually for all to see, why not just undisclosed. But GJ persists with the "we paid less than £300K" line.

I've no problem with GJ as such, with the way he's taking us forward, and the way he gets the best out of the squad etc but transfers in have been an area where we've made too many mistakes (Styvar, Carle, Trundle, Sproule, John) and an area where other championship clubs are doing much better with less money (Burnley). I think only 3 CC clubs spent more than us.

I do think that (like the LJ situation) Gary's family loyalties are a barrier to us improving our scouting hit rate with only Elliott and - in the future - Akinde being real "finds".

CR

I was told that GJ didn't rate Styvar a few months back and GJ was always having a go at him, so when he came out on the Twentyman show and said what he said I was very suprised. However GJ may come across on these shows has being candid he his far from it.

Even if that's true far better for a manager to say that to your face and back you in public than the other way around.

If something better have come along why should that affect Styvar after all Dele is leaving and Trundle never gets a look in so we need cover upfront.

And Alex Ferguson will keep saying how lovely Ronaldo is until he walks for Real Madrid.

Archived