IGNORED

Set-piece Expert

Edge1981

Anyone think it's about time we got someone in who is actually good at set-pieces? Since Johnson came to the club we haven't really had anyone who has excelled in deadball situations. Noble scored that belter against Preston but that was about the only direct freekick a remember us scoring. As for penalties, I never feel at all confident when we are awarded one. A good set-piece taker is probably worth an extra 9/12 points a season so I think we need one this summer. Ah, If only we had another Barnard or Bell playing for us.

Any ideas on players we could realistically sign?

My suggestions - Both been linked before but are mustard at set-pieces. Mark Yeates and Tibor Tisza.

Last season wasn't so good but one of the most notable things about Lee Johnson's arrival was how much better our set pieces became.

For all their other abilities the likes of Tinnion and Murray were completely useless at putting the ball accurately into dangerous areas whilst Johnson was really quite good at it (just think of all the back post headers scored by McCombe and others).

Johnson was noticeably worse at them last season and he's never been good at shooting from them, but he's been decent in the past (and not just in League One)

True, Johnson isn't bad at set-pieces and he's certainly the best we have. I'd ljust ove to have someone that I have confidence that he's going to have a crack at goal when we have a direct free-kick just outside the box.

The trouble with Johnsons set pieces is that he only has about 2 tricks and he has been sussed out and is far to predictable.

We need to change it about a bit - and yes I would like to see some cracks at goal too from free kicks

I don't know if he's the best we have at this. Anyone can dink the ball in as he always does. Personally, I feel we need to mix set pieces up more anyway as they're becoming predictable and ineffective. One of the things that surprises me the most is that for the 2 years that Lee Trundle has been here (and granted he hasn't been playing too much) is that he's hardly shot directly from any free-kicks!

I don't know if he's the best we have at this. Anyone can dink the ball in as he always does. Personally, I feel we need to mix set pieces up more anyway as they're becoming predictable and ineffective. One of the things that surprises me the most is that for the 2 years that Lee Trundle has been here (and granted he hasn't been playing too much) is that he's hardly shot directly from any free-kicks!

Here here.....Trundle knocks in a great ball and I am pretty sure would be a threat direct from freekicks. I'm afraid LJ's dinks are all to easy for defenders to gobble up. The ball needs to be whipped in, flat, into danger areas, with loads of pace. Williams delivers a nice ball from set plays.

Perhaps a mix of LJ, Trundle, Williams, McIndoe......Maynard (he is a striker after all) is what we need.

David Noble Against Preston

Last League Game of The 07/08 Season Before Play Offs Against Palace

The point is that City very rarely score direct from a free-kick. There is no-one in the squad who takes a good one when faced with a scoring chance. Whipping in a dead ball from wide is not the same skill nor is taking a free a kick from deep.

I'm not suggesting that City should have a Ronaldo or David Beckham but surely there should be at least one player capable of finding the net direct from a free kick?

Do the current squad actually practice direct free kicks? The answer must be no if the lack of return is anything to go by

It wouldnt suprise me if mcallister would be good from dead ball..but trundle has to be the best we got but never has been given the chance to shine..its ok getting a player tht can use a dead ball but if it comes down to tatics and only player gets used(johnson) then there aint no point..i feel next season johnson has to use more players in a game from dead balls keep it fresh.johnson changed a few things last season with formation and stuff!Lets hope for some great goals in 2009-10..But i do agree and flair player is needed along with other areas in the team!

I posted about this at the end of last season. It is a fact that we hardly ever score direct from corners and free kicks. I think last season we even missed three out of five penalties! In contrast we regularly concede from these situations.

I worked out last season that if our record had been "reversed" in terms of conceding/scoring from free kicks, penalties and corners we would have easily made the playoffs, if not automatic promotion. It's as simple as that.

I would personally stick with Maynard for free kicks and penalties, even though he missed a penalty against Portsmouth. He is a skilful player with a strong shot. I remember that Matt Le Tissier (who did not miss a penalty throughout his professional career) was once asked how he did it. He replied that, as a striker, a penalty was one of the easiest opportunities he was ever going to get to score so he enjoyed taking them. That is the type of positive mindset that is required.

The trouble with Johnsons set pieces is that he only has about 2 tricks and he has been sussed out and is far to predictable.

We need to change it about a bit - and yes I would like to see some cracks at goal too from free kicks

100 % agree with that. I think in general that's why our set plays haven't been to the same standard as previous, mainly because teams have done their homework on us now and are more knowledgable on how to defend our free kicks.

Anyone think it's about time we got someone in who is actually good at set-pieces? Since Johnson came to the club we haven't really had anyone who has excelled in deadball situations. Noble scored that belter against Preston but that was about the only direct freekick a remember us scoring. As for penalties, I never feel at all confident when we are awarded one. A good set-piece taker is probably worth an extra 9/12 points a season so I think we need one this summer. Ah, If only we had another Barnard or Bell playing for us.

Any ideas on players we could realistically sign?

My suggestions - Both been linked before but are mustard at set-pieces. Mark Yeates and Tibor Tisza.

With Burnley gone up I wouldn't mind Graham Alexander.

At Turf Moor, when he scored two, both pens we brilliantly scored.

You could tell everyone in the ground (even us City fans), knew he would score because of the confidence he had in taking them.

Nothing better that rifling it straight down the middle or in the top corners. :englandsmile4wf:

I posted about this at the end of last season. It is a fact that we hardly ever score direct from corners and free kicks.

Greg Goodridge once scored direct from a corner but that was in his QPR days. I've never seen a City player do it.

The point is that City very rarely score direct from a free-kick. There is no-one in the squad who takes a good one when faced with a scoring chance. Whipping in a dead ball from wide is not the same skill nor is taking a free a kick from deep.

I'm not suggesting that City should have a Ronaldo or David Beckham but surely there should be at least one player capable of finding the net direct from a free kick?

Do the current squad actually practice direct free kicks? The answer must be no if the lack of return is anything to go by

Yes Robbo but how many have been scored aginst us in the last couple of years ? Sheff Wed at the end of last season I think.

Surely the point is that players with that ability at championship level are extremely rare.

Yes Robbo but how many have been scored aginst us in the last couple of years ? Sheff Wed at the end of last season I think.

Surely the point is that players with that ability at championship level are extremely rare.

QPR at Loftus Road and just mins before the same bloke had forced Basso into a cracking save from virtually the same spot.

QPR at Loftus Road and just mins before the same bloke had forced Basso into a cracking save from virtually the same spot.

OK that's two & lets sign up whoever scored !

I share your frustration but I guess it's obviously a difficult art. What I don't understand is why we don't whip the ball in with pace a bit more, that doesn't seem too tricky and the once LJ did it last season nearly led to a goal.

Alan Walsh is still employed by the club, he used to take a blistering free kick. Presumably he has not lost that ability. Could we register him as a player, put him on the bench every game and send him on if we get awarded a close range free kick with a few minutes to go :winner_third_h4h:

I think the team have realised that no-one can take a decent freekick which is why they do all these nifty passing ones.

No-one can say they can do their homework on them because I've seen at least 5 different ones.

The dink ball only works if McCoombe is playing...

I know he's been mentioned on OTIB before but Andrew Surman has a good freekick, Not scored many for Southampton though last year.

Also talking of Burnley, Robbie Blake has a quality freekick and is also really good in the championship as an overall player.

Very unlikely to sell him. Not the type of player we need IMO.

Archived