IGNORED

Make Or Break Season For Gj?

NickJ

There is no reason for Gary J to go he is doing a good job which most of us are pleased with.

However he has a one real problem, his son Lee J who's continual presence distorts the team and leaves us most of the time with 10 1/2 men on the pitch and I am not referring to his stature.

The need to play Lee J means that we are unlikely to sign any midfielder who is likely to threaten his place but the usual whispers will be made about offers to X, Y and Z who for various reasons...

There is another ongoing thread about the future of Lee Trundle. Now, I would like to see Lee Trundle given a chance to play in Lee J's place in midfield. He is a better and more creative player, he can score goals from mid-field and his set-pieces would be far more dangerous. He may not be the greatest tackler in the club but neither is Lee J.

However this kind of experimentation will never happen because it could work and Lee J may not recover his place in the team and that would be unthinkable to Gary J.

Gary J has to grow up as a Manager show he has cojones and if he wishes to keep his son in the squad, because I can't see him being wanted by any other CCC team, treat him the same as any other player.

I truly hope you're right & we never make that kind of experiment. Even Lee Trundle would happily admit he couldn't play centre midfield in the CCC...

With this kind of rhetoric spouted about and the seemingly redicluous expectations that some seem to demand of GJ, then I believe, unfortunately, that it could well be a 'make or break' season for GJ, but of his own doing. I am not sure how much more of this ludicracy he will put up with if and when other options come his way, which I am sure they will and he may well just have a little think to himself. Yes there will be pressures elsewhere, yes there will be demands elsewhere, yes other fans will expect success......but given that we have been in this division for two seasons and out of the top flight for 30, the demands of other clubs fans seem far less miss-placed than ours.

This division had and will have next season, an abundance of quality teams and players from clubs far more established than ours, with greater resources (not just wages/transfer fee's, I mean history, stadia, fanfare, supporters, training facilities and so on) and very recent experience of high perofrmance in this league and the prem.I don't know where people believe we are amongst that, as I see it we are a fairly little fish in this sea and are therefore doing very well to swim amongst some of big fish. We were 14th in the attendances this season, have an ageing and fairly small ground and a poor recent and distant history compared to nearly ALL of our rivals. That said, thanks to GJ we are moving in the right direction whilst others are moving in the wrong direction(charlton, norwich) and we are progressing on the other sides. With GJ winning us promotion and consolidating us in this league, it has given us the opportunity to purue the new ground, which would never have been a worthwhile consideration had we stayed in league one. If we continue to build our squad, get respectable league finishes in the CCC and move into the new ground, players will start to believe in our future rather than think of the past, and then we shall start to compete for players in the manner in which some seem to think we already can. We cant, yet. I for one am just praying that GJ is a) around to continue builiding this club and b) still in charge when that building is almost complete, because given what he has to work with at present he has done a VERY good job, given what a new ground and stronger club reputation could bring to this club, he would do an even greater one.

And yes, he does make mistakes.

A quality striker without an ego is a bit like bread without butter or fish without chips, quiet simply GJ has to at least allow us 1 player who thinks he's better than the rest that's the confidence needed to bang in 20 goals a season. In any team you need a good balance and i'm sure the other 10 players wouldn't give a monkey's if a striker has the odd strop if he's scoring regularly

Can't agree with that, Bob Taylor or Shaun Goater for instance, what ego did they have?

Getting into the play-off final that season wasn't an acheivement, we went into free-fall, if anything the end to that season was nothing but a disaster, masked and covered up by a very memorable play-off semi final win againt Crystal Palace. It was a massive under-achievement when we were top of the league, as you state, with only 2 months left.

In a winner takes all match v Hull City, how many shots on target did we have, how many clear chances did we create............I mean what was he hoping for a 0-0 draw!

So if that was a failure in our first season I imagine Swansea can't wait to see the back of Martinez. :noexpression:

Getting into the play-off final that season wasn't an acheivement, we went into free-fall, if anything the end to that season was nothing but a disaster, masked and covered up by a very memorable play-off semi final win againt Crystal Palace. It was a massive under-achievement when we were top of the league, as you state, with only 2 months left.

Getting into the play-off final wasn't an achievement :noexpression:

So if that was a failure in our first season I imagine Swansea can't wait to see the back of Martinez. :noexpression:

I think its the "grass is always greener" syndrome.

So far as Swansea, Martinez has done a very similar job to Johnson. However in our 1st season at this level we were barely out of the top 6 all season & got to the PO final. I don't Swansea were hardly ever in the top 6 & finished 8th.

I accept he's made some good acquisitons & they play good stuff - however they often lack end product, hence a high no of draws.

I have no doubt that Martinez is a good manager, but why people thing he is better than Johnson is beyond me.

Guest DanC

I don't expect us to be promoted this season but what I Want to see is to see us start to build for a serious promotion challenge. We need to bring in some serious Championship quality players plus mix it up with youth and experience. It's OK having a hard working team but when teh chips are down we need a player or two who can turn on teh magic and turn a game around.

I would actually be OK with tenth place this season - no problem at all. As long as we are making a transition into playing some decent football. I really don't fancy another season of watching us score first and then spend the next 70 minutes trying and failing to hold onto that lead with little attacking intent in between. I would like to see a lot more football played on the deck and a lot less hoofball from our back four and I would also like to see a lot more imagination from our midfield players in their passing. I would also like to see our forwards given some decent crosses to attack and more than one man in the penalty area when we are attacking.

I don't expect us to become Brazil overnight but we surely have to improve on the entertainment served up last season.

Why, were Swansea top of the league with 2 months to go?

No.

So, making the play offs if you start badly but finish well is an achievement? But making the play offs if you start well but finish badly isn't?

Every single team in the Championship will have ambitions of top 6, those that don't will find themselves in league 1 next season.

Even the new boys from League 1 will think they have a chance, where as the Prem drop outs, especially Roflcastle, are celebrating promotion already.

No point turning up if you don't think you can get up, we have as good a chance as any team, a few choice signings and holding onto our stars will be enough to challenge for top 6 for sure.

Interesting discussion on ziderheads going on has got me thinking.

In the seasons since we started playing in the Championship, how many quality players have been brought in? Elliott for example doesn't count because he joined before the first season started.

Well, it all depends on how you rate any of the players brought in.

Adebola, Carle, Maynard, are the only real contenders, none of whom have been universally acclaimed from day one throughout their spell here. Possibly Williams, although even Johnson himself doent seem to rate him that highly.

2007/08 was a crest of the wave on the back of the previous promotion, as very often happens with newly promoted teams.

The bubble appears to have burst.

To be fair there have only been 3 transfer windows, plus the current one, nevertheless the more recent signings don't inspire confidence.

Add to that the rumours which do not seem to want to go away, of 2 of our best players, Orr and Elliott being wooed.

I have always been of the opinion that getting us out of Division 3 was the easy bit, notwithstanding the fact that an assortment of muppets, nearly-men and wrong choices didn't manage it in 9 seasons.

GJ will truly be judged on whether he can get us another promotion.

Make or break season for Sir Gary?

I can see where you're coming from. As long as GJ improves on last year, credit to him - job done. If he fails to improve on last year, give him until the Xmas after to prove himself. That will be the manager's make or break season for me.

Correct!

It's a 46 game season. Whether you start well or finish well, it's about where you finish.

To say finishing 4th in our first season in the Championship wasn't an achievment is obviously nonsense.

There is no reason for Gary J to go he is doing a good job which most of us are pleased with.

However he has a one real problem, his son Lee J who's continual presence distorts the team and leaves us most of the time with 10 1/2 men on the pitch and I am not referring to his stature.

The need to play Lee J means that we are unlikely to sign any midfielder who is likely to threaten his place but the usual whispers will be made about offers to X, Y and Z who for various reasons...

There is another ongoing thread about the future of Lee Trundle. Now, I would like to see Lee Trundle given a chance to play in Lee J's place in midfield. He is a better and more creative player, he can score goals from mid-field and his set-pieces would be far more dangerous. He may not be the greatest tackler in the club but neither is Lee J.

However this kind of experimentation will never happen because it could work and Lee J may not recover his place in the team and that would be unthinkable to Gary J.

Gary J has to grow up as a Manager show he has cojones and if he wishes to keep his son in the squad, because I can't see him being wanted by any other CCC team, treat him the same as any other player.

As I have posted elsewhere, therein lies our true problem !

GJ thinks he has a quality CCC creative midfielder already.

He will not be looking to sign another.

As long as LJ plays every week we will not score many goals because he creates virtually nothing.

Every other midfielder GJ has signed in the last 18 months ( Carle, Williams ) has been played out of position because LJ is sacrosanct.

It is his blind spot and it will cost us and I believe it will eventually cause real problems at AG.

Hope I am wrong but I notice more and more people on this forum are slowly coming to the same conclusion.

It's a 46 game season. Whether you start well or finish well, it's about where you finish.

To say finishing 4th in our first season in the Championship wasn't an achievment is obviously nonsense.

Your taking our 4th place finish in isolation and not taking into account our league position with only a handful of games left. We fell away badly, very badly, and taken in context with us looking odds on for an automatic spot, then yes the 4th place finish was an extremely poor end to the season and very disappointing.

Would Wolves fans have felt their team 'achieved' this season if they had slipped as we did into the play-offs and ultimately miss out on promotion?

Play-offs is a great achievement, of course it is, but not for a team who has been in the top two spots for the majority of the season and only a few wins away from automatic promotion

Your taking our 4th place finish in isolation and not taking into account our league position with only a handful of games left. We fell away badly, very badly, and taken in context with us looking odds on for an automatic spot, then yes the 4th place finish was an extremely poor end to the season and very disappointing.

Would Wolves fans have felt their team 'achieved' this season if they had slipped as we did into the play-offs and ultimately miss out on promotion?

Play-offs is a great achievement, of course it is, but not for a team who has been in the top two spots for the majority of the season and only a few wins away from automatic promotion

Rediculous.Absolutely rediculous. Wolves fans would have had every right to feel unhappy had it happened to them as they have been a TOP CCC club for many years and have been in the prem fairly recently. They have a massive fan base, alot of money, class CCC players and were geared up in every possible way to win promotion. To have fallen away like we did with that kind of base in place would have been a massive underachievement for them. However we were geared up to avoid relegation in our FIRST season back in that tier of football, so for us to have fallen away was simply not the same. The fact that we were top for a long period only demostrates what an incredidable achievement we were seeing for long periods of the season, and the final position was STILL a great achievement, to suggest otherwise is quite simply unbelievable.

This post, and its reference to Wolves as if we are on a par with such teams, simply sums up the massive misinterpretation some fans seem to make about how big a club we are at present.

As for islolation, you are the only one who is guilty of that. 4th is the 'whole' season, the last part of it that you have alluded to is the only thing being 'islolated'.

No, I'm taking our 4th placed finish as the position we achieved over 46 games. Not over the last few games or the first few games, but all of the games. You are taking the season in isolation over the final few games.

Play offs is a great achievement for a club in its first year in the Championship.

Rediculous.Absolutely rediculous. Wolves fans would have had every right to feel unhappy had it happened to them as they have been a TOP CCC club for many years and have been in the prem fairly recently. They have a massive fan base, alot of money, class CCC players and were geared up in every possible way to win promotion. To have fallen away like we did with that kind of base in place would have been a massive underachievement for them. However we were geared up to avoid relegation in our FIRST season back in that tier of football, so for us to have fallen away was simply not the same. The fact that we were top for a long period only demostrates what an incredidable achievement we were seeing for long periods of the season, and the final position was STILL a great achievement, to suggest otherwise is quite simply unbelievable.

This post, and its reference to Wolves as if we are on a par with such teams, simply sums up the massive misinterpretation some fans seem to make about how big a club we are at present.

As for islolation, you are the only one who is guilty of that. 4th is the 'whole' season, the last part of it that you have alluded to is the only thing being 'islolated'.

I don't think how 'big' your club is has anything to do with my post, No team has a divine right to get promoted, whether its a teams first season in the CCC or there hundreth and its certainly got nothing to do with how many fans a club has. I suggest you speak to GJ and ask him privately if he was pleased with 4th....I can assure you based on where he had got the team with so few games left, he will disagree with your outlook.

Yes a good achievement over the 46 games.......however not a good achievement when you are top having played 40 odd games!

I don't think how 'big' your club is has anything to do with my post, No team has a divine right to get promoted, whether its a teams first season in the CCC or there hundreth and its certainly got nothing to do with how many fans a club has. I suggest you speak to GJ and ask him privately if he was pleased with 4th....I can assure you based on where he had got the team with so few games left, he will disagree with your outlook.

Yes a good achievement over the 46 games.......however not a good achievement when you are top having played 40 odd games!

Of course it does. But i agree, it isnt the only deciding factor of whether you are successfull or not. However in the context of your point, it had everything to with it. You suggested that wolves fans would have viewed not getting promotion as underachievement, and thus likened it to our season where we fell away and finished 4th. Here, in this context, the size and resources of the two comparative clubs does have evreything to do with it, as given the two massively contrasting circumstances our club and wolves entered the two league campaignes under, it is redicluous to suggest that the two should have had similar expectations, therefore our acheivement cannot be measured against a club such as wolves. Thier fans would have expected a promotion push, as the size and resources at their managers disposal was geared towards promotion after many seasons in that division and some in the prem, for them to be top of the table wasnt unexpected and once there they should not, and didnt, fall away. We on the other hand had just been promoted, had a team of players who had ever played at the highest levels and were simply not expected to EVER be at the top of the table, and therefore when we were, quite rightly other clubs and football commentators were expecting us to fall away and evetually we did. That is not an underachievement, it was simply just not a massive an achievement as being top was. It was still damn impressive.

No, I'm taking our 4th placed finish as the position we achieved over 46 games. Not over the last few games or the first few games, but all of the games. You are taking the season in isolation over the final few games.

Play offs is a great achievement for a club in its first year in the Championship.

Didn't work for Man U though did it...

Its a poor comparison. Wolves were in about thier 3rd season back in the CCC after being relegated from the Prem. At the bare minimum they'd established themselves as a top, top CCC side. In contrast it was our 1st season at that level for 9 years. The expectations of the fans were totally different.

People are creaming themselves over Swansea & their achivements in their 1st season back, back they did considerably worse than we did.

I agree it WAS a great acheivement but not something that the club nor GJ can dine on for the rest of their lives.

I was personally upset that we started to fall away around January and didn't appear to try and mend things by an injection of new blood, preferring instead to let 'this group of players' play themselves back into form.

I'm generalising, because there were some decent games amongst the back half of the season but not many.

I don't think i'm alone in being disappointed at the way it panned out - ancient history and GJ now has to meet the challenge of keeping us competitive in this division.

To do that, I think he needs to develop as a manager and review some of his strongly held beliefs.

We will see...

I agree it WAS a great acheivement but not something that the club nor GJ can dine on for the rest of their lives.

I was personally upset that we started to fall away around January and didn't appear to try and mend things by an injection of new blood, preferring instead to let 'this group of players' play themselves back into form.

I'm generalising, because there were some decent games amongst the back half of the season but not many.

I don't think i'm alone in being disappointed at the way it panned out - ancient history and GJ now has to meet the challenge of keeping us competitive in this division.

To do that, I think he needs to develop as a manager and review some of his strongly held beliefs.

We will see...

Interesting.

I don't think that at all. I think he needs to be stronger now than ever in his beliefs and hold true to them.

As I see it, one of his beliefs is, he builds a squad of players and shows faith and trust in them for longer than most would. If they let him down, they can have few complaints if they're replaced at the end of the season. However, it does show new players coming in that they too will be given every chance and will have the trust and support of the manager for as long as they deserve it.

I think a lot of players let him down last season, to a lesser or greater degree, and that will be reflected in who stays, who goes and who is brought in.

Interesting.

I don't think that at all. I think he needs to be stronger now than ever in his beliefs and hold true to them.

As I see it, one of his beliefs is, he builds a squad of players and shows faith and trust in them for longer than most would. If they let him down, they can have few complaints if they're replaced at the end of the season. However, it does show new players coming in that they too will be given every chance and will have the trust and support of the manager for as long as they deserve it.

I think a lot of players let him down last season, to a lesser or greater degree, and that will be reflected in who stays, who goes and who is brought in.

And that's the crux of the issue. GJ has shown great loyalty to players who helped drag City out of the backwaters of League 1, with some justification. However he himself publically expressed his frustration at the squad during our abysmal and disheartening run-in and suggested changes were therefore required.

If we start again the way we ended 2008/2009, without significant changes in personnel, by Xmas the pressure will mount and supporters can then, with some creedence, start to point fingers and seek recrimination. That's not being anti-Johnson in any way, because I believe that he will act decisively to keep City moving forward. it's just a rational prediction based on the expectations of football fans and the reality that you are judged on how things are at any given point as a manager and not on past glories (Hence the pressure on Wenger within the club and among the supporters @ Arsenal).

And that's the crux of the issue. GJ has shown great loyalty to players who helped drag City out of the backwaters of League 1, with some justification. However he himself publically expressed his frustration at the squad during our abysmal and disheartening run-in and suggested changes were therefore required.

If we start again the way we ended 2008/2009, without significant changes in personnel, by Xmas the pressure will mount and supporters can then, with some creedence, start to point fingers and seek recrimination. That's not being anti-Johnson in any way, because I believe that he will act decisively to keep City moving forward. it's just a rational prediction based on the expectations of football fans and the reality that you are judged on how things are at any given point as a manager and not on past glories (Hence the pressure on Wenger within the club and among the supporters @ Arsenal).

It's an evolutionary process, though.

Of the team that beat Rotherham on the day we got promoted, only five remain as what I would call regular first-teamers (and four of those are defnders and the goalkeeper - none of which particularly need replacing).

Change is happening and will continue to happen as players fail to take the opportunities presented to them. This summer will see more changes than last, due to the way we finished the season and the fact that some players have now had two stabs at it and need replacing with better personnel.

If fans want to point fingers and seek recrimination, that's up to them (I think your prediction is right, by the way). But if they end up with the club they wished for, I will have little sympathy.

It's an evolutionary process, though.

Of the team that beat Rotherham on the day we got promoted, only five remain as what I would call regular first-teamers (and four of those are defnders and the goalkeeper - none of which particularly need replacing).

Change is happening and will continue to happen as players fail to take the opportunities presented to them. This summer will see more changes than last, due to the way we finished the season and the fact that some players have now had two stabs at it and need replacing with better personnel.

If fans want to point fingers and seek recrimination, that's up to them (I think your prediction is right, by the way). But if they end up with the club they wished for, I will have little sympathy.

The words Newcastle and United spring to mind!!

Interesting.

The only thing I would like to see GJ change is his reluctance to bring in loan players. I know we have had a few, SJ at the end of last season, but we have not made as much use of them as other clubs have. I understand that GJ bases his rapport with his players by showing belief and faith in them and that by and large this gets the desired results, but I do not feel that this would be undermined by season long loans, even ones where by we know the player may not stay on after that period. Bringing in a player at the start of the season does not say to the players 'i don't believe in you' in the same way loan signing made during the season does, plus it gives the squad the feeling that 'this is our team for the season, loan player included', which is obviously a long period of time. If the right player could be found that would have the right attitude for the entire season then I really would like to see us make the best use of the loan system and bring in some quality young players from the Prem. I think we provide a very good option to the both the player and the manager of the parent club in this respect, as oit is widely known that GJ is very proffessional manager. For example, Danny Welback (purely an example) at Man Utd is clearly going to be a Prem player at some point, but as yet is not quite ready to break into united but they may not wish to put him elsewhere in the prem or indeed sell him. For Sir Alex Ferguson, I would suggest we are a great option for him to loan out his younger players, he will know that at City, they will not be allowed to be tempted by the playboy lifestyle as GJ does not allow it, he will know that GJ's fitness regime and coaching patterns will keep Wellbeck at the top of his game physically and also he will gain competative first team football at a side who compete in the CCC. For me, I would have thought we are an ideal candidate from a parent clubs managers point of view for their young players to go to. Yes, other clubs may be bigger and more likely to push for promotion, but I don't see that as the criteria on the parent managers mind, more over they want to know that there player will be in a proffesional environment, under close control of the manager and that he will come back fit.

Of course GJ may have tried for such signings, but if we havent succeeded I would really like to see us maybe push as hard as we can. I really do feel loan signings these days can be a very worthwhile asset, especially to us who will not break the bank on wages or transfer fees.(quite rightly).

Other than the above, I don't wish for GJ to change his ways in any way.

Archived