IGNORED

City Sign Andre Blackman - Official Sms

JonPikeUK

Excellent news. The guy looks tough and strong with a big long stride on him for those crucial tackles.

The only question i would like answered is how bad his injury is. GJ seems to have a small habit of bringing in injured players.. might be a canny way of securing services of someone most others would pass over.

Nice move it think, defiantly needed competition there and give the old man (Macca) a rest occasionally, but i would imagine GJ intend this guy to eventually take maccas slot. Got good pace and can cross well by all accounts, pretty decent going forward which is a plus.

Keep em coming in!

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this under this topic - apologies if I've missed something - but it's interesting that the manager had it in mind to sign a young, promising, natural left back, but apparently did not consider re-signing Golbourne to City when he was released at the end of last season.

The young man's career seems to have gone nowhere since he left us, rather like that of numerous others one can think of (Anyinsah, to name one example). When he was still at Ashton Gate, I once met, quite by chance, a member of the Academy staff through our respective partners. He was strongly of the opinion at the time that Golbourne was without doubt a Premier player in the making, and that he needed to move on to further his professional development, as remaining with a League Two club (as we then were) would hold him back. I wonder what he thinks now....

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this under this topic - apologies if I've missed something - but it's interesting that the manager had it in mind to sign a young, promising, natural left back, but apparently did not consider re-signing Golbourne to City when he was released at the end of last season.

The young man's career seems to have gone nowhere since he left us, rather like that of numerous others one can think of (Anyinsah, to name one example). When he was still at Ashton Gate, I once met, quite by chance, a member of the Academy staff through our respective partners. He was strongly of the opinion at the time that Golbourne was without doubt a Premier player in the making, and that he needed to move on to further his professional development, as remaining with a League Two club (as we then were) would hold him back. I wonder what he thinks now....

he never player for the gas...

Now this is going to sound like s**t given the Lita thread, but the person who told me about Lita told me this deal was done and dusted 3-4 weeks ago, all except all he could remember was he was a left sided player from Pompey and not his name....hence why I never posted it.....wish I would have done now.

Interesting you should say that, just watched world interview and GJ mentioned we have had the lad on board for a while now.

And the (very) few who do have genuine sources don't tend to shout from the rooftops about it.

Yeah, it's a good way to spoil a friendship...

Hoping this means we might get to see a few of the younger lads play this season. And with McAllisters disciplinary record it might well happen for Blackman before Christmas!

An assesment from pompey fan I know

"only seen him 5 or 6 times in the ressies but he is pacey, good on the ball and can beat/skin fullbacks. downfalls are his attitude and the fact his defensive capabilities r not really up to scratch"

hes only 18 we can work with that, certainly gj is the manager to sort out attitude problems.

Oops. Senior moment there. Sorry. ( Must have been the excitement of making my first post on here.)

Don't apologise. and welcome to forum... you've picked an awful time to join... its barmy this time of year. Occasionally you might see some intriguing threads towards the middle of the season mind :)

as i said welcome. Give as good as you get, and Please, don't be intimidated by the old guard who act like they know the meaning of life etc etc etc

CTID

We needed a couple of strikers, a right winger, a central midfielder and defensive cover.

So far we've signed an exciting International prospect up front and a young, hungry, versatile left sided player who fit our needs perfectly.

Said it before and ill say it again, if we can recruit a quality right winger, another threatening striking option and a central midfielder this league is there for the taking.

Bloody hell, slow down Tonto....there`s nothing like setting your bar high eh ?

PDG

the lad is only 18, he's quick, i don't know how good he is defensively but surely it cant be difficult to train him up on the basic defending skills, we've used centre midfield players there before and i'm sure he'll be able to do as good of a job as they do at left back

Bloody hell, slow down Tonto....there`s nothing like setting your bar high eh ?

PDG

In our debut season I hoped for survival.

Last season I 'hoped' for and expected consolidation.

This season, if we strengthen in the right areas, I expect top six, if we do not and our transfer dealings grind to a halt I expect lower mid table.

There are two ways of approaching last season;

if we had been poor for the middle third then we'd have struggled or,

if we had been better beginning and finish we'd have made the play-offs.

Personally I subscribe to the latter and think with some quality additions (striker, right wing and, to a lesser extent, central midfield) we've got every chance of mounting a promotion charge this year.

he's probably a decent player with good potential

he's never had any first team experience so his wages are likely to be below average and we havent paid a fee

if it doesnt work out we wont lose much but if it does we gain a decent championship left back

• Admin
I have a doubt: we have a good number of youngsters who can playin defence if the first choices are out... Walker,Wilson,Ribeiro... was this signing necessary?

Wilson & Ribs are the real quality in that trio and neither of them would describe Left Back as their best position. We saw last season what happens when you play someone out of position there :noexpression:

Archived