IGNORED

Brian Wilson Doesn't Tip His Waitresses!

tezOfCity

Brian Wilson came into the restaurant where i work the other day with some bird but didn't tip as he left :laugh:, cheeky much on a footballers wages! just thought all the city fans should know.

Your welcome Bri :P

Probably saving his money for hair gel. Either that or your service was crap :surrender:

Brian Wilson came into the restaurant where i work the other day with some bird but didn't tip as he left :laugh:, cheeky much on a footballers wages! just thought all the city fans should know.

Maybe he's just having to take care of the pennies... I think his contract runs out this summer (probably tomorrow?) and from the talk at the time of his injury, he'll be offered a new contract when he's fit again so he could be without pay for a little while. I certainly recall seeing him listed on the PFA's list of players who were out of contract this summer.

I may be talking complete tosh but I seem to remember this from somewhere.

Guest RobbieTurner
Excellent. 'Anecdote of the week' is becoming a regular feature.

I was hoping it would.

Thought you might have saved your 5,000th post to say something interesting Edson....

It is a fact of life that the Brits are notorious around the world for not tipping, will do anything to avoid tipping and if they do tip they'll tip meanly. They forget that their tip is someone else's wages.

When I am in parts of the USA that Brits go, they hear my accent and add a service charge to the bill. Florida started it but now it is usual in Washington and New York and it's a shame.

In the UK you should tip 10% with 15% for really good service. In the USA 15-20% is the norm because many waiters get no salary but get the tips which is why service is far better than here.

It is a fact of life that the Brits are notorious around the world for not tipping, will do anything to avoid tipping and if they do tip they'll tip meanly. They forget that their tip is someone else's wages.

When I am in parts of the USA that Brits go, they hear my accent and add a service charge to the bill. Florida started it but now it is usual in Washington and New York and it's a shame.

In the UK you should tip 10% with 15% for really good service. In the USA 15-20% is the norm because many waiters get no salary but get the tips which is why service is far better than here.

And there was me thinking it was up to the customer.......!

I tip if the food is good and the service is good, if not, you can forget it!

Why should all city fans know this? So someone eating in your restaurant didn't leave a tip... big deal!!

QUOTE (wookey @ Jun 30 2009, 4:20 PM)

And there was me thinking it was up to the customer.......!

I tip if the food is good and the service is good, if not, you can forget it!

Exactly the thinking of the typical Brit, I couldn't have put it better myself, and it is amazing how often he concludes that one or other is not quite right so he doesn't tip and saves himself the money.

This is why the Brits have such a bad reputation abroad and service charges are added. I know waitresses in the USA who refuse to wait on a table of Brits because they will either get nothing or pennies for a tip and that's their wages.

QUOTE (wookey @ Jun 30 2009, 4:20 PM)

Exactly the thinking of the typical Brit, I couldn't have put it better myself, and it is amazing how often he concludes that one or other is not quite right so he doesn't tip and saves himself the money.

This is why the Brits have such a bad reputation abroad and service charges are added. I know waitresses in the USA who refuse to wait on a table of Brits because they will either get nothing or pennies for a tip and that's their wages.

First of all, sod the British thing, I'm English thank you! And it's not my fault if the waiters in the States don't get paid a decent wage! My boss doesn't slip me 10% if I've done a good days work as I'm walking out the door! I've never been to the States, and have no plans to either, so I guess this really is something that isn't going to affect me - I'll sleep well tonight!

And, believe it or not - I do tip far more than I don't. But if you want some of my hard earned cash then you're going to have to work for it, not expect me to hand it over just because......

But, why are we even discussing this!! Shouldn't we be moaning about the new signings, the lack of signings, the WC coming to Bristol etc etc etc!

Guest MaloneFM
Perhaps we could all sit on a big rug on the floor with our legs crossed while Uncle Rog reads them out to us...

Hang on I'll check with the PA

nope anytimes fine by me.

Anyway she was a Jam Roll. They are lovely people but there are quite a few of them, same with the Tiddlies. There are three houses on our street with one or the other in.

Tip one and you want to tip another one five minutes later.

Guest MaloneFM

Good work Barrington you tight fisted weasel.

See in Americaland when you get service from a septic tank you want to tip them because they really suck up to you and you feel bad if you don't.

Over here in Sainsburys they are too busy talking to Amber two tills down to give a monkeys about you paying their wages.

downright ignorance on his part if you ask me. service staff get paid little so tips are essential. I always tip 15% if the service is good as is done in the states and rightly so. cheap arse, hope he rots on the bench :noexpression:

Tipping! Pah - it's a way for employers to shirk their responsibility and pay a decent wage. The sooner it stopped the better. Do we tip the players as they leave the pitch? (maybe that would be a good idea).

No but people usually get chucked out for throwing coins at the players!

When the service is good I always tip, generously, particularly in a place I will be going often. The truth though is that very few places you eat in the UK have even the barest idea about what service is so they can hardly complain about not getting that many tips. Yanks always make me laugh on the subject of tipping because on the one hand they argue that service is so great because the staff are heavily incentivised by tips but on the other hand they act as though it's their due... the lack of a tip should be interpreted as "I need to be better" not "damn stingy brits" by their own standards.

When the service is good I always tip, generously, particularly in a place I will be going often. The truth though is that very few places you eat in the UK have even the barest idea about what service is so they can hardly complain about not getting that many tips. Yanks always make me laugh on the subject of tipping because on the one hand they argue that service is so great because the staff are heavily incentivised by tips but on the other hand they act as though it's their due... the lack of a tip should be interpreted as "I need to be better" not "damn stingy brits" by their own standards.

In Havana one always has the intention of tipping well simply because they have peanuts for wages but they must figure you are not going to leave a decent tip because they always, and i mean always, pad the bill. So anyone heading over ere anytime for a holiday just one tip [ oh excuse the pun] check the bill very carefully.

you are right about the USA but the service usually tends to be of the highest order.

As for the UK... east euros serve you 9 out of 10 in London and its always better than a brit.. we don't like doing menial tasks as a race.

In Havana one always has the intention of tipping well simply because they have peanuts for wages but they must figure you are not going to leave a decent tip because they always, and i mean always, pad the bill. So anyone heading over ere anytime for a holiday just one tip [ oh excuse the pun] check the bill very carefully.

you are right about the USA but the service usually tends to be of the highest order.

As for the UK... east euros serve you 9 out of 10 in London and its always better than a brit.. we don't like doing menial tasks as a race.

USA I find hit and miss. In NYC it depends completely on where you are and what time of day it is. Somewhere like Vegas where the whole town exists on tourism it's consistently excellent.

In the UK, I think most restaurants, even the pricier places have poor service until you get to the michelin star sort of level.

There are dozens of places in Bristol that do very good to excellent quality food but there are perhaps only a handful of those that have figured out how to serve without pissing people off by not watching tables, overbooking and spreading staff too thin.

Yes people expect tips here big time, I was the same (with regards to good service when I first arrived to US) so I asked once, if you think it was bad service do you still tip? the answer was yes but you also leave a penny with that tip to denote your not that impressed.

I have to tip well because allot of the places I return too and get well looked after, servers have amazing memories, one bar I sit outside all night and my beer is on the table before the next one is finished without asking, the only time I have to move is for a piss.

Also there is allot of trust, you could spend hours drinking/eating without handing over a card or note, but if people do a runner it is deducted from the server, nobody does it, well I've only witnessed it once.

Anyway I first read this title as, "Brian Wilson doesn't do Waitresses, and" thought it was going to be a Carlsberg statement. :rolleyes:

I tip 20% always in the US if I get good service. I will tip 10% for disappointing service and 15% for meh.. not impresed.. service. I once left 0.00 but wrote a note explaining why.

I like the idea of a bigger tip because it is optional payment - I am not a stingy Brit, but I will NOT tip for awful service and food. If you do in my opinion that is silly. Mind, if I tipped 0 I would never want to return there anyway - I tipped 0 for a reason...

In the dim and distant past ...

Restaurant owner: "Whilst no other type of business on the planet does this, lets introduce a system where customers feel compelled to pay even more for their food by paying extra for good service which really should be provided anyway".

Business Partner: "great idea, what a cracking scam, they'll all fall for it"

Archived