IGNORED

Gj Has Signed A Midfielder Which I Said He Wouldn't

Samh

Over the moon with the confirmation of Paul Hartley today, just a little dubious of where he'll play after GJ's comments that he can play on the wing as well as centrally.

He will be a cracking central midfielder / attacking midfielder and needs to play alongside Elliot.......

I'll bet he starts on the wing.... Lee will be safe for another season.

Over the moon with the confirmation of Paul Hartley today, just a little dubious of where he'll play after GJ's comments that he can play on the wing as well as centrally.

He will be a cracking central midfielder / attacking midfielder and needs to play alongside Elliot.......

I'll bet he starts on the wing.... Lee will be safe for another season.

Or Lee will play on the right...

Methinks that is slightly more likely possibly if McIndoe leaves it coud be like this : A.N. Other --- Elliot --- Hartley --- Johnson

In either I case I will be suprised but pleased if he isn't starting every game week in week out.

A bit of the interview with Gary Johnson you appear to have missed:

"He can play in a two and he can play in a three as well. I like his game when he gets forward and joins in and can set up play."

Do you see him playing centrally?

"Yes. I think his wide days are... I think he can play wide in a certain role, but he's not the wide player that people perceive as a winger."

Given that we all know LJ will still be the first name on the teamsheet - what do we do with Elliott, Hartley, Skuse and Williams. Artus may as well go home and any one of E , H, and S and W ( even in 4-3-3 ) is str.

Great signing in my view but only if it means LJ is no longer guaranteed his place which sadly ( IMO ) aint going to be the case.

Anyone have any genius type ideas ?

I would like to see us go for Adam Hammil from Liverpool, been on loan at Blackpool and Barnsley, looked a great player when we played Blackpool away. He can play on either wing or upfront.

Barnsley have bidded for him

I think from GJ's commets that Hartley will be used as an attacking midfielder with Elliot and Johnson behind him. If we don't sign anyone else for a wide position we still have Wilson Williams Sproule and even Maynard at a push. But hopefully we will pick a Taylor from Oldham and a attack minded player from his mate McCarthy who has players like Keogh and Vokes possibly surplus to requirements at Wolves or Cotterill from Sheff Utd who seem to be buying every winger thats going at the moment (Reid, McIndoe, Little and Gray).

Given that we all know LJ will still be the first name on the teamsheet - what do we do with Elliott, Hartley, Skuse and Williams. Artus may as well go home and any one of E , H, and S and W ( even in 4-3-3 ) is str.

Great signing in my view but only if it means LJ is no longer guaranteed his place which sadly ( IMO ) aint going to be the case.

Anyone have any genius type ideas ?

Johnson wouldnt be able to get Hartley without putting him on the teamsheet. He has said that he is an attacking MF and wont be suited to playing on the right.

People perhaps get too uptight thinking that Johnson will pick his son at the expense of moving the club to the next level.

The fact that we now have an alternative to LJ which we have never had doesn't occur to those who can't see past LJ being the managers son.

2nd post saying this in minutes - they'll all be out now stirring up the same old rubbish.

As you said, GJ was specific - Hartley will play centrally.

Given that Elliott won't be dropped it means LJ on the bench if we go with 2 centrally.

If we go with 3 then LJ may get in the team, but I doubt it - more likely to be Skuse.

Not strictly true is it - Carle was brought in and could have played in a central midfield role in place of LJ as first choice next to Elliott but didn't.

Getting the round pegs in the round holes, as GJ put it, is what it is all about now. LJ and Hartley can only play in the same team if we go 4-3-3 and I just don't think we have the quality or pace in the side to make that work. Would much prefer Hartley and Elliott to be first choice pairing with LJ and Skuse as their respective back-ups.

Well_red

There's no way Hartley would have signed if he wasn't going to play regularly, he'll obviously have to earn his place but i'd be surprised if he signed without getting some reassurances about his place in the team from GJ.

We now have genuine options in the middle with Marv, Hartley, LJ, Gav, Skuse etc...

The team/squad is starting to take shape now and another signing or 2 should see us start the new season looking strong.

:city:

As i don't really follow scottish football i don't know how good Hartley is but from the posts on here he sounds like a good player!

If he is going to compete for a central midfield position along with Elliott and LJ then that is great!

I just hope we can get a situation where if you play well you keep your place and if you have to wait for your chance then so be it! That is by far the healthiest position for a team to be in! If LJ plays well then Hartley or Elliott or Williams will have to be patient but the same has to apply the other way around!

Will it be like that????..I for one honestly don't know but i hope so!!!!

Lets be honest here, If this new lad comes in and is sat on the bench behind Williams/Johnson/Skuse then he has the right to feel royally done over.

Now I'll be honest, I havnt seen him play, but given the fact he's played for Celtic regularly I don't feel the need to have.

Great signing, if we play 2in the middle it has to be marv and hartley. Play 3 and it should be marv,hartley and skuse or williams i'd try both. But for for lj he should be chosen after these players and used as a squad player in my opinion however i would put alot of money on him starting come our first game.

The ajax game next week will give us a strong idea of garys starting 11 especially if anymore signings are made by then.

Yet another LJ thread.

Incredible.

We get a really good signing and all people can do is use it to slag off LJ.

Sad.

To use it to slag him off is wrong i agree but this signing is relevant to Lj because its his position so to discuss the possible permutations is surely expected! How we can discuss central midfield without mentioning Lj is nigh on an impossibility!

As far as I'm concerned its a great signing, hartley is something we missed last year..someone with experience in midfield hopefully this will push are midfielders on this season ie elliott i really think we will see him in the form and bck to his best as for lee johnson hes a city player and we should be backing who ever puts that red shirt on!Citys midfield has suddenly got a bit of bite to it with another addtion to the squad its looking good!!

johnson williams artus elliott skuse sproule hartley maybe macca or new signing who ever plays they play in red!!!

Come on city!

To use it to slag him off is wrong i agree but this signing is relevant to Lj because its his position so to discuss the possible permitations is surely expected! How we can discuss central midfield without mentioning Lj is nigh on an impossibility!

Perhaps people shouldnt, just incase Cynic gets upset?

To use it to slag him off is wrong i agree but this signing is relevant to Lj because its his position so to discuss the possible permitations is surely expected! How we can discuss central midfield without mentioning Lj is nigh on an impossibility!

Agree plus he has come here to play, with the possibility of Scotland going to South Africa next year he needs to play to have any chance of making his dream. So it will be interesting to see how city line up.

Perhaps people shouldnt, just incase Cynic gets upset?

Does the opening post strike you as though it's been written by someone just discussing the various midfield permutations available to the manager next season?

Does the opening post strike you as though it's been written by someone just discussing the various midfield permutations available to the manager next season?

Perhaps not, but we all know opinions differ. Best ignored isnt it.

The fact that we now have an alternative to LJ which we have never had doesn't occur to those who can't see past LJ being the managers son.

2nd post saying this in minutes - they'll all be out now stirring up the same old rubbish.

As you said, GJ was specific - Hartley will play centrally.

Given that Elliott won't be dropped it means LJ on the bench if we go with 2 centrally.

If we go with 3 then LJ may get in the team, but I doubt it - more likely to be Skuse.

"Given that Elliott won'y be dropped"

Have you not considered the possibility that Elliott may still yet be sold? Now that we have a replacement, I wouldn't rule it out completely because I cannot see that LJ will not be in the side come the first game.

Clarkson

Maynard - Williams - Sproule

Elliott - Hartley

McCallister - Fountaine - Carey - Orr

Basso

I think williams still has a big part to play next season, in parts last season he was our best attacking midfield.

On the bench having Johnson and skuse ready to step in incase of injury or loss of form, i think the squads starting to look strong.

Just a couple more additions and we're on the up! :winner_third_h4h:

"Given that Elliott won'y be dropped"

Have you not considered the possibility that Elliott may still yet be sold? Now that we have a replacement, I wouldn't rule it out completely because I cannot see that LJ will not be in the side come the first game.

You could be right, I believe LJ will be an ever present again.

Archived