IGNORED

Gj Has Signed A Midfielder Which I Said He Wouldn't

Samh

Your reply read like a defence of the player.

Let me put it this way... having been selected I wouldn't think it's fair to say LJ's performance is so bad that it doesn't justify his place.

My question is, do you think that GJ's judgement of what LJ does on the field, which leads him to pick LJ almost every time he is available, is accurate?

I think GJ overrates what he brings to the XI by quite a bit. That's why I am a little concerned to hear all this talk of "threes".

Ah right, sorry.

It was meant to read as a justification of his selection, rather than a defence. I said I believe he justifies his selection in the main, and I stand by that. That said, I expect Hartley to be a more effective midfielder (he should be anyway) and if Elliott can be available for almost every league game, as he was the season before last, rather than 24, I'd expect to see them be our main two.

That said, the midfield three doesn't concern me as much as it concerns you. This is probably partly due to the fact that I didn't see as many games as you to form an opinion, but also because I believe it would be a central three in a 4-5-1 rather than a 4-3-3, with (going on GJ's interview) Hartley playing in the hole. That said, it's only a subtle difference, and it's more about players filling areas of the pitch than strict formations, to me.

What does concern me, is our complete lack of a left footed midfielder, and I hope that's addressed before the season starts.

A thoughtful answer albeit to a different question. My question was more about GJ than LJ. I don't doubt LJ's professionalism, commitment or performance and every player on the pitch for BCFC should (and does) get support.

For me LJ was average as a Championship midfielder in his first season and less than average last season, as the effectiveness of his set pieces died off and his limitations were exposed more by the absence of Elliott and lack of an extra man in the middle.

Of our now five central midfielders, he would be last on the list for me in terms of selection. I think GJ over rates what he does on the pitch and his importance to the side and consequently picks him too much, and goes to lengths that appear odd to me to keep him in the side. This creates the situation where there is unfair pressure on LJ who doesn't pick himself and makes me concerned we will play a less than optimal formation to accomodate him alongside Hartley next season.

There is a significant proportion of City fans who feel that to some degree, whether it's a nagging thought at the back of their mind, a mild concern like mine, or a real angry sense of disbelief. How we line up on our first league game will speak volumes to me on this subject.

Agree with that...

I have nothing against LJ but think we have better options when everyone is available, in a 2 i'd go Elliot & Hartley, in a 3 i'd add Williams as the creative edge.

Saying that, if any of the 3 were unavailable I wouldn't have a problem with LJ's selection as I believe hes solid enough just think we have better options.

Agree with that...

I have nothing against LJ but think we have better options when everyone is available, in a 2 i'd go Elliot & Hartley, in a 3 i'd add Williams as the creative edge.

Saying that, if any of the 3 were unavailable I wouldn't have a problem with LJ's selection as I believe hes solid enough just think we have better options.

Agree with you here - if there's any thought of playing LJ in a more attacking and/or creative role then Gavin Williams surely does it better (if fit) ?

No objectionto that formation, but I don't think we have the personnel behind or in front of our best three midfielders to play 433.

Archived