IGNORED

The Official Keep Basso Away From His Agent Thread

Pete1975Legend

I for one will be sad to see Basso go if and when it happens.I agree its bad timing,but if the contract negotions have been happening over the summer,this explains it,it obviuosly got to the point where he was never going to get what he feels he is worth.I agree that he has a lot to thank GJ and City for,but lets be realistic,GJ and City would of soon got rid of him if he wasnt any good! I believe we are a better team and unit when he is between the sticks.He has chosen to move on,its sad,but lets not knock someone who has been so pivotal to our recent success.City will move on as will Basso,hopefully we will all get to where we want! Until then, OH BASSO,OH BASSO!!!

I am sad Basso is leaving, but can't say that I think it is devastating or will definitely be a major factor in the forthcoming season.

Gerken has as much experience at this level (two seasons) than Adriano and has only 50 league matches less than Basso under his belt whilst being a decade younger. He also seems very keen to make an impression and, although he'll likely not have the inspirational flair and force of personality that Basso brought to the side, (see my signature...) I believe that despite some sceptics on here's opinion he could end up a good find.

Gerken arrived here with the challenge of unseating a highly thought of keeper, knowing another goalie with a growing reputation (Henderson) was already in the squad; an unenviable task, but a challenge he accepted willingly. This is something that is a credit to his character in my eyes.

Of course it is a great shame that Weale left for Leicester, but to say it's a massive error by GJ is a little unfair.

It is worth noting that for all the plaudits thrown his way Weale played only 9 games for us over three years due to his inability to find fitness, not really his fault but a factor that means we cannot really say quite how good he might have been here.

He is three years Gerken's senior at 27 and has only played 22 league matches in the last three seasons, where Gerken has played close to 100. He's actually played roughly 185 games to Gerken's 115 and whilst the majority of the formers' are at Championship level the overwhelming number of Weale's are league one or indeed lower.

Chris Weale was always professional and seemed like a top guy, but he must have been keen to have his chance at first team football. Under the circumstances you cannot really hold releasing Weale against GJ, certainly if Basso had not given any indication he was unlikely to stay, as we already had a very young keeper he rates on the books and we also went and signed a decent enough prospect in Gerken.

I actually wish Basso luck in finding a club where he will be as adored as he was here and is paid the sums he feels he is worth. I struggle to see him reaching higher than he presently sits with us and feel it would be a great shame to see him go the way of many ex-GJ era signings (i.e. downwards not upwards).

His mistakes were memorable and not as rare as we (and I'm sure he) would have liked. He was not perfect, sometimes glaringly so, and at points he could be frustrating to watch. I cannot be alone in having had several 'heart-in-the-mouth' moments due to his wild kicking.

But at other points he was utterly superb and highly inspirational; both to the fans and the club as a whole. Many of his team mates have spoken his motivational qualities and I'm sure he'll be missed in the dressing room for this factor alone. His prematch pose and relentless optimism pointed our way up to the Championship and very nearly the 'Promised Land'.

I remember more than a few excellent stops, some which saved not just goals but games, and who will ever be able to forget his back heel against Blackpool at home last year. Classic.

Personally, it is these moments of brightness, not the manner of his departure or his errors, that will define him in my memories, and I'd both like to thank him and wish him luck in the future.

i know people are saying bring Hendo in. He won't be able to play for a while. Saw him in work today with his foot in plaster. Seemed in a good mood, V decent bloke had a quick joke with him (I don't tend to like to talk to footballers about football when they're shopping).

I can see him becoming City Number 1. No hassle. The man is a big unit.

Guest MaloneFM
I wish Basso luck as well. However, Basso did have a few howlers for us like last season at home when he was definately - and without doubt - responsible for Wolves' 2 goals in the 2-2 draw. I'm very disappointed that Basso is leaving because not only is he a great goalkeeper but he's a very likeable chap like Cromwell and Stalin.

Oh lord... :disapointed2se:

Agents are a part of the game and footballers will always be greedy. GJ has got an agent and if he managed to wangle three times his wages (three times the comission as well) to get someone like Everton we wouldn't see him for dust.

And fair play to him anyway. As for Basso, not the best of move but thanks for the memories.

I am the 1st to join, so sign up and lets try some fan power for a change!!!!!!

Oh Basso Oh Basso,

Stay at the mighty reds

If he wants to go that much i.e dropping us in it at such short notice then he is not the man I thought he was.For certain he is not the goalkeeper he was.So on your bike Basso.

Oh lord... :disapointed2se:

Agents are a part of the game and footballers will always be greedy. GJ has got an agent and if he managed to wangle three times his wages (three times the comission as well) to get someone like Everton we wouldn't see him for dust.

And fair play to him anyway. As for Basso, not the best of move but thanks for the memories.

Naughty, naughty :innocent06: you know that I know that Cromwell or Stalin never kept goal for us. :dancing6: Not even in my most delusional alcoholic stupor would I have written that. Anyway, I'm disappointed over Basso leaving and I hope that Gerkin will do just as well for us as Basso did.

So not bothered you need to point it out. Odd that.

I think the point you were replying to was that people didn't pass these opinions before he elected to leave and are suddenly grandstanding them now. You seem to confirm this by saying the reason for this was that there was previously no sign of him leaving. That's helpful, it saves us speculating about whether you really are making this all up to suit the events.....

Errrmmm not really sure what I have confirmed - I neither said I liked or disliked him as a goal keeper I think I just said Im not bothered he is leaving. The facts are he made some great saves and some complete howlers....he saved us points and he cost us some points - abit like most keepers.

I wouldnt want you to waste your time speculating about whether I am making up my opinion to suit events anyway as like I said - im not bothered he is leaving.

Archived