IGNORED

Nick Carle

chinapig

So a year after buying him for £1 Million they'll offload him for £350k... Hmm.

I seem to recall GJ bought Carle. So what you meant to put was that it looks like GJ was wrong after all.

Yeah, Gary was wrong to buy him for £500k and sell him for double that..

I'd say he's finished his Walkabout and now wants the World cup and being closer to home, but not that close so he can still get a good pay cheque, would suit him.

There's no guarantee that he would be an automatic selection for the Australian national squad anyway. He's no Luke Wilkshire.

So a year after buying him for £1 Million they'll offload him for £350k... Hmm.

Yeah, Gary was wrong to buy him for £500k and sell him for double that..

Spin it any way you like - GJ never spent all that money on Carle in the knowledge that he could offload him a matter of months later for £1m.

The amount he played Carle, and the positions he generally played him in = a mistake.

Happens in football to all managers but please could some fans not try to make it look like GJ did great over it.

Looks like GJ was right after all!!

GJ is always right.

I seem to recall GJ bought Carle. So what you meant to put was that it looks like GJ was wrong after all.

No he wasn't wrong, he was a profitable aquisition so you're wrong.

Like I said GJ is always right, he knows whats best. :innocent06:

Thats cus' Gary Johnson is the man.

Spin it any way you like - GJ never spent all that money on Carle in the knowledge that he could offload him a matter of months later for £1m.

The amount he played Carle, and the positions he generally played him in = a mistake.

Happens in football to all managers but please could some fans not try to make it look like GJ did great over it.

I'm not sure it's possible to say GJ did "great" but if he could rectify all his mistakes making a £500k profit each time I think we'd be doing pretty well.

With hindsight it's possible to say that signing Carle was a mistake as he clearly wasn't the player GJ hoped he would be. However, to offload him and make a profit into the bargain is far from disastrous.

I think the number of times Carle played and the positions he played in was more to do with him not being the player GJ wanted than a mistake in itself.

I don't see it as spinning at all. Of course any manager who buys a player hopes that he will go on to be a massive success and make the fee paid look small. GJ took a punt on a relative uknown ... paid a substantial but not unreasonable price ... he played a good few games and, as has been well reported here, made a significant contribution, especially in the last few games, to the club reaching the Play-Off final. Despite that GJ recognised his limitations and saw that he wasn't going to become quite the player he'd hoped for, and his wages anticipated. He was then able to negotiate a transfer on, at double the fee, thereby recouping his wage costs as well. Subsequently the player has demonstrated the wisdom of GJ's judgement in that regard and now looks like leaving the league for a third of the cost for which he was bought from us. Indisputably good management it seems to me.

The spinning, I would sugggest, needs to be done by those who still cling to the notion that NC was the best midfielder at the club/in the league/in the known universe/since sliced bread (delete where appropriate) only let down by GJ's poor selection policy.

I'm not sure it's possible to say GJ did "great" but if he could rectify all his mistakes making a £500k profit each time I think we'd be doing pretty well.

With hindsight it's possible to say that signing Carle was a mistake as he clearly wasn't the player GJ hoped he would be. However, to offload him and make a profit into the bargain is far from disastrous.

I think the number of times Carle played and the positions he played in was more to do with him not being the player GJ wanted than a mistake in itself.

Good post.

I think what bully isn't seeing is that EVERY manager makes the odd dodgy signing that doesn't pay off. But what bully does seem to think is that GJ shouldn't go for potential mastermind signings, which again is what EVERY manager does.

The fact we made profit on him proves he was a good signing for us afterall, regardless of how he played as we got money off him and laughed at Warnock and Palarse. Besides that was a great season for us.

One word - MERCENARY.

Absolutely nothing mercenary about wanting to play for your country.

Warnock also endorsed the deal but on a year long loan only.

if you bothered to read the article instead of taking soundbites like a lefty politician you might have a more balanced view and if you did read the article then, well i would not be able to explain your view at all.

Good post.

I think what bully isn't seeing is that EVERY manager makes the odd dodgy signing that doesn't pay off. But what bully does seem to think is that GJ shouldn't go for potential mastermind signings, which again is what EVERY manager does.

The fact we made profit on him proves he was a good signing for us afterall, regardless of how he played as we got money off him and laughed at Warnock and Palarse. Besides that was a great season for us.

I think if you are able to read my previous post again you'll see that I accept that dodgy signings are part of football.

My point was that the fact we more than got our money back doesn't mean that GJ was right - after going to the trouble of signing someone, they were offloaded in a matter of months and never replaced.

Very good that we got apparently £1m for him - not at all sure that we doubled our money but surely profited.

What do you mean by 'mastermind' signings anyway? - Webster? John? Trundle? Styvar? - maybe even Maynard at £2m?

Credit where credit is due and GJ has brought in some good players, but that doesn't extend to praising him when he offloads a player he clearly made a mistake on and didn't want after just a few months.

I think if you are able to read my previous post again you'll see that I accept that dodgy signings are part of football.

My point was that the fact we more than got our money back doesn't mean that GJ was right - after going to the trouble of signing someone, they were offloaded in a matter of months and never replaced.

Very good that we got apparently £1m for him - not at all sure that we doubled our money but surely profited.

What do you mean by 'mastermind' signings anyway? - Webster? John? Trundle? Styvar? - maybe even Maynard at £2m?

Credit where credit is due and GJ has brought in some good players, but that doesn't extend to praising him when he offloads a player he clearly made a mistake on and didn't want after just a few months.

I think if you are able to read my previous post you should be able to realise something...

You missed a key word when quoting me there and it was POTENTIAL mastermind signings. Its something pretty much all managers go for in a sense, they don't always pay off. Even Sir Alex the great does it ala Manucho.

I think if you are able to read my previous post you should be able to realise something...

You missed a key word when quoting me there and it was POTENTIAL mastermind signings. Its something pretty much all managers go for in a sense, they don't always pay off. Even Sir Alex the great does it ala Manucho.

:noexpression:

You missed a key word when quoting me there and it was POTENTIAL mastermind signings. Its something pretty much all managers go for in a sense, they don't always pay off.

Um yeah, I know that, but they surely don't all get praised when they offload the ones that don't work for them - that's my point - you seem to think i'm criticising GJ for signing players that don't work - well, he's certainly done that like the very best managers. If however people think GJ did great on the Carle business then that's their opinion - I beg to differ.

Nick Carle = the most over rated player ever to wear the famous red shirt of BCFC!

Cue the...."did you go to Sheffield Utd away......."

What a load of old cronk!

Funny how nobody said stuff like this when he was in the team, but now cane him once he's sold..he was a very capable player and really came good in the last 10 games or so.

..but no, listen to the gaffers spin about him being not good enough, and then playing Lee Johnson in that position week in week out.

What a load of old cronk!

Funny how nobody said stuff like this when he was in the team, but now cane him once he's sold..he was a very capable player and really came good in the last 10 games or so.

..but no, listen to the gaffers spin about him being not good enough, and then playing Lee Johnson in that position week in week out.

Perhaps, before you post, do you homework on what I said about the player whilst he was at BCFC and during the whole....."why did we ever let him go' fiasco that seemed to take over this forum, for about six month after he left!

Go on, have a read then come back with a more sensible post.

Um yeah, I know that, but they surely don't all get praised when they offload the ones that don't work for them - that's my point - you seem to think i'm criticising GJ for signing players that don't work - well, he's certainly done that like the very best managers. If however people think GJ did great on the Carle business then that's their opinion - I beg to differ.

I think quite a few people will be aware that the offloading of Carle had little to do with his abilities on the pitch, and more to do with the need to preserve a strong dressing room. In that respect I believe that GJ made the right decision, and made a profit into the bargain.

Perhaps, before you post, do you homework on what I said about the player whilst he was at BCFC and during the whole....."why did we ever let him go' fiasco that seemed to take over this forum, for about six month after he left!

Go on, have a read then come back with a more sensible post.

Are you a teacher in real life?

I have no intention in researching what you have said about anything in the past as I have a life.

As I have no knowledge of your previous comments on the issue, I'm afraid I can only take your post on its merits. As you stated that he was the most overrated player ever to wear the shirt, I felt compelled to reply as it's plainly incorrect.

My reply was not just about you, but also a comment on the general negativity about a player, who quite frankly was rated when he was at the club, and now it seems (for some strange reason) that he isnt

Perhaps you would like to point out why my post wasnt sensible enough for you?

Archived