IGNORED

Lee Johnson Treatment

BS3_RED

I heard plenty of boos from where I was in the Atyeo, which was just an embarassment.

Coming on in his first home game of a new season and he gets booed, what has he got to do for some people?

Absolute disgrace to boo an oncoming player onto the pitch, end of.

One person in my row even shouted out "Get back on the bench you little c____". Unbelievable.

The people who did this, and it was a small, but noticeable minority in Block B of the Dolman, are not City fans. I don't care if they've had a season ticket for 50 years, and spend thousands of pounds a year on the club, booing a player when they come on (well, full stop actually, but that's another story) is totally out of order.

The fact is that he came on and changed the game. It was a quality ball to Clarkson to set up Maynard. But still, the first time he gave the ball away, and he did - a couple of times - just like Hartley and Elliott, he was abused. It's pathetic.

It's clear that Johnson is not now in the first choice XI for us. I'm pleased about that, because I think the players ahead of him are better. But when he comes on, or if someone else is injured or dips in form, he should get everyone's support.

I'm surprised you were baffled at the substitution. Since the half-time interval we had surrendered midfield to QPR, Elliott in particular becoming almost invisible in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Johnson threw the Lithuanian on hoping for a bit of debut magic, but anyone could see that the problem was that the midfield were being overrun. Going 4-3-3 was a gamble, so the first substitution could be regarded as the more surprising one. Having seen that that formation clearly wasn't working, the unfortunate injury to Velicka gave Johnson the oppportunity to do what he might have done in the first place, added some strength in midfield and go to 4-4-2. I thought Lee Johnson was excellent in his 20 minute cameo.

Agree with this totally!

Plenty of moans/boos around me in Dolman, but what I heard was boos for the decision to bring him on. ie. a small midfielder in place of a big striker.

The striker was on for 5 mins before injured, so why not a straight swap for Akinde.

I was wondering the same. He played his part and did well though.

We had enough strikers on by then. Lee Johnson added some much needed balance to our team and worked well alongside Hartley. It's midfielders we needed, not more strikers.

I'm not one of his biggest fans (god, how many times has that been written on here!) but I would never boo one of our own players. To be honest, I find it hard to boo ex-City players, unless they've left under a cloud or slagged us off once they've gone. There were a few boos, but not many, coming from around Dolman Block C.

I'd like to think they weren't regulars and were people who barely understand the game. The kind of people who boo their own players are the kind who also expect instant success here and now, and and completely ignorant of the club's history and tradition. They only want to know why we didn't get promotion to the Premier League yesterday. There's a team who'll kindly have their support: Chelsea.

I'm surprised you were baffled at the substitution. Since the half-time interval we had surrendered midfield to QPR, Elliott in particular becoming almost invisible in the first twenty minutes of the second half. Johnson threw the Lithuanian on hoping for a bit of debut magic, but anyone could see that the problem was that the midfield were being overrun. Going 4-3-3 was a gamble, so the first substitution could be regarded as the more surprising one. Having seen that that formation clearly wasn't working, the unfortunate injury to Velicka gave Johnson the oppportunity to do what he might have done in the first place, added some strength in midfield and go to 4-4-2. I thought Lee Johnson was excellent in his 20 minute cameo.

Exactly. My thoughts word for word. Our strikers need service, not more strikers to play alongside.

Guest clevedonred

I'm not a huge lj fan but at least he wants to play for us. Last night he played well and there was still booing and criticism flying at him. I would say most people's problem with him is he is gary's son, and that is pretty weak

Significant booing at the back of Dolman D. Shameful. Delighted for Lee that he set up the goal. We are stronger with Hartley, but Lee will continue to play a valuable part in this already thrilling season. Well done Lee.

This is probably why i'm surprised that no one heard it. I sit at the back of D block and there were more boos than cheers, in fact it was a real struggle to contain my emotions with some of the people around me. I was a tad surprised that they cheered the goal considering it was LJ's neat ball into Clarkson that effectively forced the opening considering they were so against LJ being on the pitch. Assholes every one them.

I say this without a moments hesitation, but WE as a club would be far better off without so called 'fans' that boo their own players. For all the positives that they may contribute, in terms of money for tickets, purchasing merchandise and alike, sadly all of these commendable acts are erased in the blink of an eye, the moment they sling negativity towards those they confess to 'support'.

We all know that it is a minority of.....well, idiots really, so perhaps if they pop off and go and watch the Gas or somebody worthy of their 'support' our attendences will not be that adversely affected.

I say this without a moments hesitation, but WE as a club would be far better off without so called 'fans' that boo their own players. For all the positives that they may contribute, in terms of money for tickets, purchasing merchandise and alike, sadly all of these commendable acts are erased in the blink of an eye, the moment they sling negativity towards those they confess to 'support'.

We all know that it is a minority of.....well, idiots really, so perhaps if they pop off and go and watch the Gas or somebody worthy of their 'support' our attendences will not be that adversely affected.

Spot on. As I said earlier, I don't consider them City fans.

For those who suggest the booing was aimed at the fact Akinde was not being bought on, I wonder if they seriously think that there would have been booing had Williams been bought on.

I have not posted on here for a while but something tonight really p1ssed me off and i feel the need to rant.

I am not Lee Johnson's biggest fan, anyone who has read my posts in the past would know that BUT i am absolutley appalled by the fans who felt the need to boo him when he came on.

For GODS sake, he plays for BCFC and whether you like him or not, no CITY players deserves that.

Rant over.

I didn't go last night, but its out of order booing someone who's done nothing wrong and always does his best.

Probably a hangover from times past, when LJ was an automatic regardless of form.

Sounds like bringing him on was absolutely the right move by GJ and if the kid is used when appropriate thoughout the season, whether starting or off the bench then I reckon the boos will disappear quickly.

Plenty of booing from the losers on the back row of block B of the Dolman.

When Lee came on he up'd the pace of the game with his fast pass and move game. Last season there were only 3 players in the championship to have provided MORE key passes. He totally changed the game which is pleasing after the stick that gary Johnson got for his substitutions against Preston.

Lee is still very poor defensively which showed towards the end when it was back to the wall stuff but he is an excellant "club in the bag" to have.

Well Done Lee

Well wide of the mark with that comment... this thread was actually started by someone from the back row of Dolman B where I also sit/stand.. it actually came from a few rows in front of us and if you listened you would also have heard us trying to shout down the LOSERS who were actually booing. Get your facts right before posting!

To be fair, a big part of it was that it was a midfielder being brought on for a forward. But as most fans seem to be, they saw it as all doom and gloom and didn't look at the picture. GJ brought a midfielder on for the very situation that if we'd scored early (which we did) we would've had to defend with about 5 forwards for the last 20 mins. Brilliant sub in my opinion. Obviously the fact that a fraction of our 'fans' just don't like Lee Johnson for whatever reason contributed to the negative feeling about the substitution. A bloke a few rows in front of me even said "I'm taking my season ticket back this is ******g stupid!" :doh:

Funny that.

"losers" you say, yet the 6 or 7 of us there, Who incidently had NOTHING to do with the booing(thread started by a back rower), are the ONLY fans in the ENTIRE B block who even TRY to get behind the team...

The B block is a pathetic one now. one that used to be passionate and loud is now one that is dead, decrepid and negative. the only time during the match that ANYONE in the B block sang last night was just after the goal. In anyones book that is pathetic, embarrasing and somewhat scary... if our "fans" cannot create a positive atmosphere with the rest of the ground when we put on a good performance like that, what hope do we have when we play badly and need the fans to pick the players up???

The only song apt enough for the B block nowadays is "silent night"

:fastasleep:

But lets not get our facts right about us at the back hey?

This is probably why i'm surprised that no one heard it. I sit at the back of D block and there were more boos than cheers, in fact it was a real struggle to contain my emotions with some of the people around me. I was a tad surprised that they cheered the goal considering it was LJ's neat ball into Clarkson that effectively forced the opening considering they were so against LJ being on the pitch. Assholes every one them.

This is why i moved from the Dolman got fed up with it booing Lee Johnson is rong he is a gd player and one i have no problem with coming on or starting a game. I was shocked to see he come on but i did not boo him i clapped him on

Well wide of the mark with that comment... this thread was actually started by someone from the back row of Dolman B where I also sit/stand.. it actually came from a few rows in front of us and if you listened you would also have heard us trying to shout down the LOSERS who were actually booing. Get your facts right before posting!

Ok, it came from that direction and the three guys in the back row gave LJ sooo much stick last season inc booing him most weeks and they are still there now so i assumed it was the same guys.

I was sat in Block C of the williams and there were some people sat behind me moaning about lee johnson coming on and the worst bit i felt was they said everyone but lee johnson had a part in the goal :noexpression: i thought he had a very good game when he did come on, he did switch of at times but still worked hard.

I was sat in Block C of the williams and there were some people sat behind me moaning about lee johnson coming on and the worst bit i felt was they said everyone but lee johnson had a part in the goal :noexpression: i thought he had a very good game when he did come on, he did switch of at times but still worked hard.

That's amazing, given it was Lee Johnson who effectively created the chance for Maynard.

I swear some people wear blue and white quarters under their City shirts!

We had enough strikers on by then. Lee Johnson added some much needed balance to our team and worked well alongside Hartley. It's midfielders we needed, not more strikers.

I think it was more to the fact that a striker had come on a few mins before who was going off. So we had enough strikers on for a whole 5 minutes?

Strange thinking by GJ but it worked this time, it didnt against Preston. Swings and roundabouts.

No booing from where I was (East End).

For me, it showed exactly how LJ should be utilized within the team. He came on and did really well. No way should he start the majority of games, but he is a useful player coming off the bench and he played his part in the victory.

He is therefore a very good player when he has the protection of Elliot and Hartley on the pitch and he is allowed to play his game.

Guest ashtonyate

I don't know why fans pick on him like they do I think its a shame I think he is a nice young family man.

As soon as he makes a poor pass people are ready to jump on him yet other do the same thing and nothing is said

I think he should move club, but its disgusting that he is being hounded out of our team.

Funny that.

"losers" you say, yet the 6 or 7 of us there, Who incidently had NOTHING to do with the booing(thread started by a back rower), are the ONLY fans in the ENTIRE B block who even TRY to get behind the team...

The B block is a pathetic one now. one that used to be passionate and loud is now one that is dead, decrepid and negative. the only time during the match that ANYONE in the B block sang last night was just after the goal. In anyones book that is pathetic, embarrasing and somewhat scary... if our "fans" cannot create a positive atmosphere with the rest of the ground when we put on a good performance like that, what hope do we have when we play badly and need the fans to pick the players up???

Hmm, I sit in Dolman B block - row M - and I think the atmosphere in there is quite good. Certainly better than in other parts of the ground I've sat. Don't think you're the only row in the block that makes any noise - if you think that the only time the rest of the block made any noise was after the goal then you're wrong. People around us were cheering and chanting for most of the match.

Feel free to critisise those people that boo the players, but just because some don't make as much noise as you would like, don't start on them. A team (and fans) united is stronger than one that is divided. I really loathe all this "our stand is better than the others" crap that gets spouted on here a lot - so for God's sake don't lets now start sub-dividing that even further into blocks!

Just support the team and leave your critisism at home. Thanks.

Funny that.

OK, ill lose the "losers" tag. Like i said in another post, some of the guys on the back row last year were just awful and they are still there this year. One guy in particular was always falling out with people further forward because most are fed up with his continual barracking of Lee Johnson.

This might not be you so like i said ill lose the losers tag. I would also suggest that if you want non stop atmosphere then the East end is the place to be. Block B is a good place to sit, some atmosphere, good view of the game ( if your near the top ) and NO CHAVS

I sit in Dolman B as well and can confidently say booing was coming from the back left hand side of that block. It didn't involve a large number of people, but it was loud enough to be heard.

If they were booing because they had expected Akinde to come on instead of Johnson, they should realise that booing when a player comes on will be interpreted as booing the player coming on.

Tonight above all we needed to get behind the team and the vast majority did. I can only imagine that those booing were not regulars and were trying to prove to those around them they knew that LJ divides opinions. We really could have done without that when we've had the world and his wife slinging mud in our direction.

That's odd as im in the back left hand corner of B block and never heard any booing whatsoever.

Strange

Ok, it came from that direction and the three guys in the back row gave LJ sooo much stick last season inc booing him most weeks and they are still there now so i assumed it was the same guys.

I think you will find that they/I never booed Lee Johnson last season. What one or two did do was question substitutions last season and one or two performances. Funny that some people never noticed when we were cheering Lee on last season and how we would praise him when it was warranted (just like any City player).

There is one on the back row that did give Lee an unfair amount of stick last season and even we had a pop at him about it but he was clapping Lee on last night like the rest of us.

It is simply nothing short of discusting that any City fan could boo a player who has always given 100 per cent to the club they proclaim to support. It angers me beyond being simply annoyed that certain characters, without naming them, have been hailed as City legends and so forth in the past purely becasue of an ingnorant and pathetic belief that throwing a tackle here and there and getting 'stuck in' during a game somehow shows you are a commited player and worthy of vocal support. I only highlight the above because there are numerous players of days gone by who have enjoyed the complete support of the 'fans' who most likely boo'd LJ without putting anywhere near the same effort in off the field, smokers, drinkers and so forth.

LJ is a top proffessional both on and off the field, and regardless of your view of his ability on it, we as fans should recognise and be thankfull for the former.

I sat in the Dolman block B for the Palace game, and all I can say is that I am glad I could not afford to go last nght, as to have witnesssed that kind of reception for LJ (or any city player who does not deserve it) would have angered me so much that I am sure I would not have been able to hold my tongue.

Season ticket holders some of them may be, SUPPORTERS they are NOT.

DISGRACEFULL.

Depends if you were at the front of Block E then I guess...

I sit in the middle of E block and didn't hear a single boo for Lee Johnson.

I was very surprised he came on, especially after GJ's bold decision to go with four attackers just five minutes before. Partly because of Akinde's good performance v Palace. Poor guy must wonder what he has to do to get a game. (I suppose 'score goals' would be the sarcastic, and slightly unjust answer to that).

Anyway, great pass from LJo for the goal; playing him alongside Hartley and Elliott seemed to bring out the best in him.

Archived