IGNORED

Marvin Elliott

JonPikeUK

Rumours about Elliott continue, with this on the BBC website from the NOTW:

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is ready to dip into the Championship again with a £3.5m bid for Bristol City midfielder Marvin Elliot. (News of the World)

Hope not :fingerscrossed:

There have been so many rumours about Marv being linked with so many different clubs, it's not a surprise that another has popped up. I'd take it with a pinch of salt until something definate happens. Don't forget he was out quite a bit last season, and was nowhere near as good as he was the season before. I'm not sure a prem club would take the chance on him....yet!

£3.5????

That's a good £1.5 mil ontop of the previous rumored bids. Would be hard to turn down that sort of cash really

It's not hard to turn down when we don't really have anyone to replace him of his quality. We're only using 2 men in midfield this season and selling one of them is obviously not a good idea in any circumstances.

Hartley, Skuse, Williams, Johnson

That's 4 for 2 positions there

Hartley plays with Elliott. Skuse & Hartley is a step down, Williams isn't the right type of play to replace Hartley and Johnson is not the same type of player as Marvin either.

Just because we have midfielders who can play in the center it doesn't mean they will be as good. Elliott is a damn good player capable of getting stuck in and winning balls and although £3.5m is a chunk of cash it's not as important as a sturdy midfield when you're only playing a 2 man midfield.

I'm aware that they are not like for like replacements, all I'm saying is, if it's good business, it's not all doom and gloom.

We played 70% of last season without him and Skuse seems like decent cover, I didn't hear anyone complaining about his performances, the main issues seemed to be the strikers and the wingers for creating chances, and I think that's now covered

I'm aware that they are not like for like replacements, all I'm saying is, if it's good business, it's not all doom and gloom.

We played 70% of last season without him and Skuse seems like decent cover, I didn't hear anyone complaining about his performances, the main issues seemed to be the strikers and the wingers for creating chances, and I think that's now covered

Palace are desperately trying to sell moses to Wigan to sort out their financial situation for an alleged similar price, if this deal is on the cards GJ will no doubt either be happy to have 1 less player in midfield from his squad or will have earmarked a replacement. What worries me is the fact we are only attracting 13,000 home fans to our home games against London opposition. I know it is still the hoiday season but was expecting gates of 17,000 and no douby SL will have already worked out the drop in revenue if this continued throughout the rest of the season which could trigger departures in Jan

I think everyone would rather hang on to Super Marv but if a big bid did come in and wed decided to let him go i think they GJ would give Skuse a chance as the direct replacement. He doesnt have the same pace and tenacity as Elliot but he did a good job last season and would deserve a crack. We would need to bring in some competition for him though as Williams and LJ dont challenge Marv, they challenge Clarkson and Hartley respectively.

Palace are desperately trying to sell moses to Wigan to sort out their financial situation for an alleged similar price, if this deal is on the cards GJ will no doubt either be happy to have 1 less player in midfield from his squad or will have earmarked a replacement. What worries me is the fact we are only attracting 13,000 home fans to our home games against London opposition. I know it is still the hoiday season but was expecting gates of 17,000 and no douby SL will have already worked out the drop in revenue if this continued throughout the rest of the season which could trigger departures in Jan

Why oh why are people so worried about the drop in attendances. It`s getting a bit annoying now that these posts keep cropping up. A LOT of people cannot justify the costs of going to football at the moment, it`s not just us, it`s everywhere. All this talk of departures in Jan is complete tosh. SL is well aware of likely income, ST sales is a pretty good indicator. Lets not get into this again folks because there are a heck of a lot of people who`d love to be at AG for every home game but it`s just not possible.

PDG

I thought Skuse was only behind Sproule and Haynes in the pace stakes.

He has the stamina for long races but not the quickest when it's required on a football pitch.

The noticeable quality that Marv has against anyone in our squad is that he reacts to a challenge quicker than anyone else i.e. if he goes in for a challenge he invariably reacts and gets the ball quicker than the opposition - I havent seen anyone in this league who is as good at this than Marv.

Yes we played 70% of last season without him and we came 7th places lower.

Best way to think of it is if we sell him for £3.5m will we have a stronger or weaker squad at the end of the transfer period? The answer is obviously weaker as GJ won't get in an equal or better player. It may be nice having £3.5m for him but money isn't what we need, a strong squad is if we want to make any kind of serious challenge.

He has the stamina for long races but not the quickest when it's required on a football pitch.

The noticeable quality that Marv has against anyone in our squad is that he reacts to a challenge quicker than anyone else i.e. if he goes in for a challenge he invariably reacts and gets the ball quicker than the opposition - I havent seen anyone in this league who is as good at this than Marv.

I think marvin should move on, and Skuse take on his role.

I think marvin should move on, and Skuse take on his role.

I don't think Elliot has been any where near as good as when he first came here. I think he has got caught up in his own ability, and has let it get to his head this season and some parts of last. He doesn't look quite as up for a tackle I notice compared to the first season he had here, this might be just down to him getting used to being a regular first team player. Being a regular first team player he might have got complacent about his position in the first team.

Yes we played 70% of last season without him and we came 7th places lower.

Best way to think of it is if we sell him for £3.5m will we have a stronger or weaker squad at the end of the transfer period? The answer is obviously weaker as GJ won't get in an equal or better player. It may be nice having £3.5m for him but money isn't what we need, a strong squad is if we want to make any kind of serious challenge.

I don't think losing Elliot would prove to be as big a problem as some people think. If we get 3.5m for him there are plenty of players in the Championship that we could sign who are good. One name that springs to mind for me is Kalifa Cisse. It is likely he would cost 2m and would be just as good a player in a defensive midfield position as Elliot.

I don't think losing Elliot would prove to be as big a problem as some people think. If we get 3.5m for him there are plenty of players in the Championship that we could sign who are good. One name that springs to mind for me is Kalifa Cisse. It is likely he would cost 2m and would be just as good a player in a defensive midfield position as Elliot.

ok so say we sell him and have £3.5m to buy a player there are a few issues... one is wages, most players better or equal to Marvin are already on better wages and therefore will mean us paying out more wages. Then there is actually getting a club to sell to us... I mean what club wants to sell a great player. Then you also have to consider what a player will think about joining us... yes we're an up and coming club but a player equal or higher to Elliott will be looking to play Premier League football or join a team like Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd etc

£3.5m seems a great sale until you take in all the factors of replacing Elliott and realise you won't find a player equal or better willing to come to us for one of many many reasons. I mean Elliott was an unproven player when he signed himself, if he'd got to the stage/quality he is at now with another club he wouldn't be looking to come to us, he'd be looking at a big Championship club or the Premier League.

ok so say we sell him and have £3.5m to buy a player there are a few issues... one is wages, most players better or equal to Marvin are already on better wages and therefore will mean us paying out more wages. Then there is actually getting a club to sell to us... I mean what club wants to sell a great player. Then you also have to consider what a player will think about joining us... yes we're an up and coming club but a player equal or higher to Elliott will be looking to play Premier League football or join a team like Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd etc

£3.5m seems a great sale until you take in all the factors of replacing Elliott and realise you won't find a player equal or better willing to come to us for one of many many reasons. I mean Elliott was an unproven player when he signed himself, if he'd got to the stage/quality he is at now with another club he wouldn't be looking to come to us, he'd be looking at a big Championship club or the Premier League.

The 3.5m we get for Elliot will help with wages. It won't even cost the whole 3.5m to sign somebody like Cisse, he would most likely cost 2m. His wages will not be that different to Elliot's who is probably on a lot more than you think he is on. In terms of finding us as a club an attractive option for someone like Cisse I would think so, Reading are going down hill this has been proved by them selling their key players and not replacing them as of yet. I think some of the big players they have left will know they will struggle this season without at least signing a defender and a goal scorer.

The 3.5m we get for Elliot will help with wages. It won't even cost the whole 3.5m to sign somebody like Cisse, he would most likely cost 2m. His wages will not be that different to Elliot's who is probably on a lot more than you think he is on. In terms of finding us as a club an attractive option for someone like Cisse I would think so, Reading are going down hill this has been proved by them selling their key players and not replacing them as of yet. I think some of the big players they have left will know they will struggle this season without at least signing a defender and a goal scorer.
The difference is however that Reading have been in the Premier recently whereas we haven't, he's also foreign and the majority of good foreign footballers are attracted to London (which Reading is not far from).

He is also another player who like Elliot who isn't going to leave his current club to take on a promotion battle with a team who are not that likely to succeed this season, he's good enough to get a move to a strong promotion team if he has any plans of moving at all.

Then you have the main reason we wouldn't sign him.... GJ very rarely signs established players, he buys players with potential. Hartley is one of the few cases that's different and I think that is only down to Hartley being such a huge caliber of player willing to take a step down (and only because he's coming to the end of his career). Just look at GJ's signings.... Haynes, Clarkson, Blackman, Nytanga, Maynard etc, he likes his up and comers, when was the last time we bought an established player like Cisse?

The bottom line is if Elliott goes Skuse will be far more likely to take his place leaving us with a weaker squad (I'd much rather have Skuse and Elliott than just Skuse). If anything we'll bring in a younger midfielder with potential.

Signing Stern John on loan is what I would of classed a high profile signing last season.

You mean the loanee? I'd also say an out of favour striker is hardly the same as a player who starts for his current team and is regarded as a great player.

The difference is however that Reading have been in the Premier recently whereas we haven't, he's also foreign and the majority of good foreign footballers are attracted to London (which Reading is not far from).

He is also another player who like Elliot who isn't going to leave his current club to take on a promotion battle with a team who are not that likely to succeed this season, he's good enough to get a move to a strong promotion team if he has any plans of moving at all.

Then you have the main reason we wouldn't sign him.... GJ very rarely signs established players, he buys players with potential. Hartley is one of the few cases that's different and I think that is only down to Hartley being such a huge caliber of player willing to take a step down (and only because he's coming to the end of his career). Just look at GJ's signings.... Haynes, Clarkson, Blackman, Nytanga, Maynard etc, he likes his up and comers, when was the last time we bought an established player like Cisse?

The bottom line is if Elliott goes Skuse will be far more likely to take his place leaving us with a weaker squad (I'd much rather have Skuse and Elliott than just Skuse). If anything we'll bring in a younger midfielder with potential.

Reading are going to struggle this season. They have sold most of their key players and have not replaced any of them yet. If we wanted to sign Cisse then he would chose us over Reading for sure, because he would know that Reading are going down hill. One goal in 4 games played tells you its own story, where as City are 8th in the table. I can tell you now that Reading won't better City's position this season unless they invest in several quality players. The fact that several key players have left them shows that they think the club can't achieve promotion.

You mean the loanee? I'd also say an out of favour striker is hardly the same as a player who starts for his current team and is regarded as a great player.

Stern John was a proven Championship goal scorer. The reason Southampton let him go is because they could not afford to keep him.

Rumours about Elliott continue, with this on the BBC website from the NOTW:

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is ready to dip into the Championship again with a £3.5m bid for Bristol City midfielder Marvin Elliot. (News of the World)

For £3.5 million I would bite their hands off.

Archived