IGNORED

Has Johnson Lost The Dresing Room

tower crane red

So going with no strikers on the bench what so ever, and McCombe as our emergency cover, was a good idea??

Yes, yes indeed it was, an ideal way to get knocked out of the cup, play like a conference side, frustrate even the most loyal ardent supporters, knock 2k of the gate saturday,mission accomplished :tumbleweed:

I didn't mention four years ago, but as you bring it up it'll be interesting to see what people said when we lost to Cheltenham a round earlier.

The clubs moving forward, the 7 figure investment in a training facility last year, a new stadium planned at great expense. Things are coming together, it isn't cheap to assemble a decent and deep championship squad and live within your means, it is little wonder we stuggle when a few players are out.

I find it amazing that you can say that things are coming together.Off the pitch matbe but on it I would suggest they are falling apart.We lost our best striker and best wideplayer and true to Johnson's style have not replaced them.We have signed 6 new players and now have a team that pose even less of a goal threat than last year.They have been totally outplayed at home by Carlisle, away by Brentford and humiliated against Cardiff.If that is coming together than heaven help us.

So going with no strikers on the bench what so ever, and McCombe as our emergency cover, was a good idea??

As Millen said they don't like putting McCombe up front but occasionally it's an option. They still had Haynes, Akinde & Sproule on together for 25 mins 2nd half, plenty of attacking talent, in theory.

I find it amazing that you can say that things are coming together.Off the pitch matbe but on it I would suggest they are falling apart.We lost our best striker and best wideplayer and true to Johnson's style have not replaced them.We have signed 6 new players and now have a team that pose even less of a goal threat than last year.They have been totally outplayed at home by Carlisle, away by Brentford and humiliated against Cardiff.If that is coming together than heaven help us.

We've lost one league game, to a side that will be pusing top 3. I suggest you need to get some perspective.

We've lost one league game, to a side that will be pusing top 3. I suggest you need to get some perspective.

Did you go last night? And if so did you find that acceptable? I accept that we can get beat by teams like Carlisle, no problem, but their keeper didn't even have to play well or even moderately well. I'll tell you how embarrassing it was - Pidgley had to come out at half time to have a WARM UP because he had virtually nothing to do in the first half. The only time I have seen that before was when we played Middlesbrough and we gave Shwarzer nothing to do.

Any half decent County League standard goalkeeper would have kept a clean sheet for Carlisle last night, we were that bad. Yes, perspective is needed but you also need to realise that when people give up time and cash to watch garbage like that they are going to be unhappy and have a moan. All people wanted to see was some entertaining football and, yet again I am afraid, Johnson's team selection and tactics and the performance of the players left us yawning and bored after about twenty minutes. I have to say that was one of the longest games of football I have ever seen - I left after seventy six minutes (second goal) which I certainly don't apologise to anyone for and it felt like I had been there for four hours.

Did you go last night? And if so did you find that acceptable? I accept that we can get beat by teams like Carlisle, no problem, but their keeper didn't even have to play well or even moderately well. I'll tell you how embarrassing it was - Pidgley had to come out at half time to have a WARM UP because he had virtually nothing to do in the first half. The only time I have seen that before was when we played Middlesbrough and we gave Shwarzer nothing to do.

Any half decent County League standard goalkeeper would have kept a clean sheet for Carlisle last night, we were that bad. Yes, perspective is needed but you also need to realise that when people give up time and cash to watch garbage like that they are going to be unhappy and have a moan. All people wanted to see was some entertaining football and, yet again I am afraid, Johnson's team selection and tactics and the performance of the players left us yawning and bored after about twenty minutes. I have to say that was one of the longest games of football I have ever seen - I left after seventy six minutes (second goal) which I certainly don't apologise to anyone for and it felt like I had been there for four hours.

That's a reply in a different context.

We were bad Sunday, worse last night but to suggest we're having a bad season is bollocks

As Millen said they don't like putting McCombe up front but occasionally it's an option. They still had Haynes, Akinde & Sproule on together for 25 mins 2nd half, plenty of attacking talent, in theory.

Sproule in my eyes is not an "attacking option"...why? because he is a shocking player, and apart from pace, brings NOTHING to the team, or squad...end of story. How this lad got a new contract, when he has shown NO improvement since we signed him, is beyond me. Akinde is still a raw talent...and McCombe isnt an option, its a "we've run out of ideas, lets lump the ball forward and hope for the best"

Trundle SHOULD have been on the bench last night, and the fact he wasnt, just stinks. I sit here now and cant for the life of me understand why he wasnt....it just smells of typical Gary Johnson! if the face dont fit, you dont play...regardless of whether it would help the team or not

It was a total farce the sight of McCombe coming on was greeted around me with a (so this is all we have to offer) big boot upfield tatic look. Watching a bloke of limited ability lumbering around trying to chase up and back was a joke,yes i still think we lost two players who could at least pose a threat. Williams,Sproule,not good enough. Mcindoe was slaughtered for his attitude but Elliott is trading on his 1st season ,he is a shadow of his former self there is a worrying tread still in the background. I was bored to not caring last night those that went really deep down were grateful that Carlisle put us out of our misery, imagine another 30 mins of pub team kick and stroll cos there was certainly no rush. Yes Steve Lansdown is doing wonders in putting City forward off the pitch,but on it whatever is going on is now looking serious the fighting spirit is not there ,along with so many players not good enough or way out of form .I agree we do not seem to replace players with any real quality signings,the two latest on trial coupled with Velicka hardly excites the paying punter. How do Cardiff manage to attract players from Manchester City plus 4 million for Chopra new ground when they were up to their necks in debt. Ok give it a go against Boro on saturday but any more of this no balance,no tatics ,no goal scoring chances ,dull boring football and the crowds will drop alarmingly.

3 wins in his last 15 competitive matches which is probably more relevant than the fact he got us promoted from league 1 three years ago!

And therein lies the problem. Most of the disappointment reaction on here is not just because of the last two games, it also takes into account the poor end to last season, where we really failed to impress. In all honesty, despite the new faces coming in, we do not look very convincing as a team likely to succeed this season. We may well have to make do with just surviving.

GJ will remain because it will cost a fortune to get rid of him (and I think we are a long way from that point anyway) even if we wanted to because of the contract he is on. We can only hope he finds the best formation and team selection, which to the paying fans is not obvious at the moment, and gets them producing some better performances than the last two.

Sproule in my eyes is not an "attacking option"...why? because he is a shocking player, and apart from pace, brings NOTHING to the team, or squad...end of story. How this lad got a new contract, when he has shown NO improvement since we signed him, is beyond me. Akinde is still a raw talent...and McCombe isnt an option, its a "we've run out of ideas, lets lump the ball forward and hope for the best"

Trundle SHOULD have been on the bench last night, and the fact he wasnt, just stinks. I sit here now and cant for the life of me understand why he wasnt....it just smells of typical Gary Johnson! if the face dont fit, you dont play...regardless of whether it would help the team or not

Yea, lets play an unfit , uninterested striker who would probably had not made a difference if he came on with 25 mins left. All it would have done is cup tie him so there would be less chance of getting him off our wage bill. Brilliant idea :laugh:

This thread is ridiculous, only a week ago we convincingly beat a very good QPR side, no one was doubting whether GJ had lost the dressing room then.

Did you go last night ??????? How can this be classed as ridiculous ?????? .We were very lucky to beat QPR ,this tread on the pitch has been rumbling on for months something ain't right the Trundle and Basso situation. Mcindoe was bombed out for speaking his mind ,last night was a bloody insult to any one who paid their money why will he never admit when he gets the tactics wrong ? .

As much as I like Trundle as a person, can anyone seriously say he'd made a difference last night.. we were so devoid of creating any chances that you could have had Torres & Kaka up front and they'd probably have failed to produce anything.

Yea, lets play an unfit , uninterested striker who would probably had not made a difference if he came on with 25 mins left. All it would have done is cup tie him so there would be less chance of getting him off our wage bill. Brilliant idea :laugh:

are you kidding me?? this is a joke right??

Unfit and uninterested?? how do you know this?? you know the blokes state of mind do you? as for cup tieing him? his next move will be a drop to League One, how many League One teams are left in this cup?

Lee trundle should have been in the squad yesterday.

To be honest though with Trunds, IF he is, can you blame him for being disinterested. Not only did he have to witness that disabled cart horse Stern John steal a wage of us last season, but now he has to put up with a league one lummox of a central defender playing upfront as its an "option"

Im all for the everyone has an opinion and it should be respected, but if you cannot see that Trunds should have been at least on the bench, your either blind...or Gary Johnson

Did you go last night ??????? How can this be classed as ridiculous ?????? .We were very lucky to beat QPR ,this tread on the pitch has been rumbling on for months something ain't right the Trundle and Basso situation. Mcindoe was bombed out for speaking his mind ,last night was a bloody insult to any one who paid their money why will he never admit when he gets the tactics wrong ? .

Yes I did go last night thanks ( from (Grove Park Rd incidentally !)

We weren't lucky to beat QPR and from what I can recall the players gave 100% so how someone can say the manager has 'lost' the dressing room is beyond me.

The start of this season has left me feeling somewhat disheartened but I'm not sure why. After last season I wasnt expecting much, maybe a top 10 finish, play offs at best. Points and results wise its not a bad start, 4 games 7 points joint 8th in the league. However the perfomances haven't been encouraging at all. Alot of new players so yes it may take time to gell but on the other hand maybe these players just don't have that fighting spirit? Maybe they are 'Johnson' type players by which I mean will sit and listen and be told what to do rather than stand up for themselves if they disagree or say if they feel something isnt working out on the pitch? As we all know players with the big personalities or reputations don't last under Johnson but I feel if we are looking to be a team on the up challenging for promotion then I feel we need some 'characters' in the squad and some fighters on the pitch. As I look through the squad now there seems to a few players who have failed, well maybe not failed, but have been moved on from clubs similar to us-

Nyatanga - Derby

Haynes - Ispwich

Williams - Ipswich

Then many more players who have come from leagues below-

Elliott - Millwall

Maynard - Crewe

Akinde - Non league

Gerken - Colchester

Trundle - Swansea (lg 1 when we got him)

McCombe - Lincoln

Brian Wilson - Cheltenham

Basso - Woking

Then the scottish shopping list (spl similar standard to the championship, maybe less taking away old firm)

McAlister

Johnson

Clarkson

Hartley

Sproule

Velicka

And the rest of the squad is filled with youngsters and the few long termers.

So the squad seems to be filled with players who were playing at a lower standard and trying to get their big break to the higher leagues or struggling to get games with other championship sides and also a few we picked up from prem reserves/youth (Orr, Fontaine, Henderson etc).

So when we look through the currently squad and go through most of Johnsons signings this pattern appears and it seems to suggest what type of manager GJ is, getting the best out of what he can find from lower down or non league or reserves or free ages and so on. I believe GJ is very successfull at this, not only with us but with Yeovil aswell. However I think this can only work at certain levels and in my opinion lower half to mid table championship is the absolute highest point that this system of transfer works. So the overall point for me is I dont think he was 'lost' the dressing room, its just maybe we are expecting too much from this current squad? As is the case in football money talks so to move up and onwards we need to be paying more money for players and getting those characters and fighters in the team but I cant see Johnson changing his way so as of now I think Bristol City are the highest we can expect them to be, good or bad? You decide!

As much as I like Trundle as a person, can anyone seriously say he'd made a difference last night.. we were so devoid of creating any chances that you could have had Torres & Kaka up front and they'd probably have failed to produce anything.

Apart from Maynard, Trundle is the only striker we have with the ability to make a chance 'out of nothing' which is just what was needed last night in the absence of a midfield!!

Ok it may not have worked but is surely a better option than a lumbering giant defender with a turning circle worse than the QE2!!

Yes I did go last night thanks ( from (Grove Park Rd incidentally !)

We weren't lucky to beat QPR and from what I can recall the players gave 100% so how someone can say the manager has 'lost' the dressing room is beyond me.

Ok fair play but overall i think saying he has lost the players confidence /dressing room whatever may be too strong. There is however something wrong ? Team spirit which given the lack of in depth quality with too many league 1 standard players seems to be sadly lacking. The coming back to win matches has gone,saturdays game is another chance to get among the big boys i just hope they take it .

Therein lies your answer - Trundle can create for others as well as score.

He can, and does, shoot from distance too.

How can anybody seriously say Trundle wouldn't have made a difference? :dunno:

Therein lies your answer - Trundle can create for others as well as score.

He can, and does, shoot from distance too.

How can anybody seriously say Trundle wouldn't have made a difference? :dunno:

Yer but how can you give a game to a so called "professional" football player who can't even be arsed to get fit!? Trundle MUST go, even if we have to pay him to leave...

are you kidding me?? this is a joke right??

Unfit and uninterested?? how do you know this?? you know the blokes state of mind do you? as for cup tieing him? his next move will be a drop to League One, how many League One teams are left in this cup?

Lee trundle should have been in the squad yesterday.

To be honest though with Trunds, IF he is, can you blame him for being disinterested. Not only did he have to witness that disabled cart horse Stern John steal a wage of us last season, but now he has to put up with a league one lummox of a central defender playing upfront as its an "option"

Im all for the everyone has an opinion and it should be respected, but if you cannot see that Trunds should have been at least on the bench, your either blind...or Gary Johnson

GJ told us all that he came back overweight and not up to the required fitness. He proved that when fit enough he will get the chance like he did last year when he lost a load of weight ( could have been year before that cant remember ). I say dissinterested because he has said that he wants out and if he aint fit enough then that is telling me that he is not interested in getting to the required level just like Noble wasnt. SO i must be Blind Eh did you see him in the pre seaon games ??? if you didnt then shut up and stop moaning about my opinions based on players that were good 3 years ago

Every team has a very poor performance at some point, and sometimes even an annoying 2, 3, if not more in a row!

So far it's been just 2, and if they can get it together in training prior to Saturday, then you might just see a backlash on the pitch!

Ever since Norwich had that 7-1 Home defeat, they've been doing pretty well to say the least ****il the Sunderland game, which was almost understandable)...

I don't see any reason (apart from possibly the one day less rest) that should give us any real excuse not to compete with Middlesbrough this upcoming Saturday!

Let's hope all the extra training goes well in putting things right, so we can bounce straight back to another 3 points, before the upcoming Internationals take place!

Yer but how can you give a game to a so called "professional" football player who can't even be arsed to get fit!? Trundle MUST go, even if we have to pay him to leave...

If you say so........... :whistle2:

I believe Trundle is fit enough, and has been for a while.

I don't think he'll ever be 'Johnson fit', or is necessarily even physically capable of being so. He'll never be a superfit Orr or Elliott and was never going to be.

That doesn't mean he couldn't have done a job for City last night because you can't fault him for effort or attitude on the pitch, and he has the capability to score, create for others, and bring the crowd to life.

GJ told us all that he came back overweight and not up to the required fitness. He proved that when fit enough he will get the chance like he did last year when he lost a load of weight ( could have been year before that cant remember ). I say dissinterested because he has said that he wants out and if he aint fit enough then that is telling me that he is not interested in getting to the required level just like Noble wasnt. SO i must be Blind Eh did you see him in the pre seaon games ??? if you didnt then shut up and stop moaning about my opinions based on players that were good 3 years ago

Gary said so...Gary said so...it must be true then. Lee Trundle is fit, maybe not match fit....but he is fit. This myth that he is some sort of blob that sits around eating pies is that...a myth.

Lee Trundle has always, ALWAYS been a lazy striker. I class him as a luxery....he will never run his ass into the gound, but Johnson must of knew this when he signed him. As for having his chance last year, did he not just have about 4 starts? look at the impact he had when he came on against Brum and plymouth....he did more in those two games then Sproule and Stern john did all season!! yet he still got dropped from the squad

As for the pre-season games, yeah I did make it to a couple thanks very much, and I wasnt impressed with any of them to be honest, but thats a different debate. The debate im saying here is who should we have had up front whilst chasing the game...a League One lump of a centre half, or a lazy striker who is capable off pulling of a piece of matching winning magic.

Now, seriously, your saying to me, that Jamie "Milk turns quicker then him" McCombe is a better option then Lee Trundle??

Good one

If the players are going to play like that just because they disagree with the manager I think it says a lot more about the players then the manager. Players are always going to disagree with the manager on something or other, and if this is the way they are going to voice their grievances by playing like they did last night I'd be more concerned about getting in 13/14 new players before I look at replacing the manager. Not that I'm saying that is what happened, because the whole 'Johnson is a bully who has lost the dressing room' is a rumour and nothing more, in my eyes probably a load of complete rubbish anyway.

[b]When have i said that he sits around eating pies, i have just siad that if he was fit enough and if he impresses in reserve games then he will play

[b] Short sighted, he has played 53 times or so and only had a couple of good games. Your right about GJ in that he know that he was a luxery Trundle has been a mistake / panic buy .

As for the pre-season games, yeah I did make it to a couple thanks very much, and I wasnt impressed with any of them to be honest, but thats a different debate. The debate im saying here is who should we have had up front whilst chasing the game...a League One lump of a centre half, or a lazy striker who is capable off pulling of a piece of matching winning magic.

[b] As much as i don't rate McCombe, i would think that he has a good chance of scoring whist up front due to his height as we have seen before.

Good one

It's nothing to do with the past, it proves he's a good manager in the present.

Clarkson was ill, Maynard rested/injured Trunds was the only other option & he doesn't appear to be part of the managers plans.

Johnson refers to the past of the club quite frequently in a lot of his interviews.

[b]When have i said that he sits around eating pies, i have just siad that if he was fit enough and if he impresses in reserve games then he will play

[b] Short sighted, he has played 53 times or so and only had a couple of good games. Your right about GJ in that he know that he was a luxery Trundle has been a mistake / panic buy .

[b] As much as i don't rate McCombe, i would think that he has a good chance of scoring whist up front due to his height as we have seen before.

My whole debate here is should Trundle have been on the bench last night? and he should of, end of story. No way should we rely on McCombe to bail us out, when we have a perfectly adequate player sat at home. He may have failed at Championship level, but up against Carlisle....it may have been his bag.

Unfortunately, Gary is to pig headed to admit mistakes.....

Good one

Trundle is far more likely to make something happen up front than McCombe. Putting a 6 ft 5 inch centre half like McCombe up front sounds like pure desperation for any opposition to see that we were clueless, and running out of ideas. Trundle would have at least provided a creative spark up front, and would have tried to carve out a few opportunities for himself.

Archived