IGNORED

10 Points Great Return From First Five Games

Padlad

We did actually have a pretty tough start to the campaign but I think it's getting truer and truer that there are no easy games at this level.

Swansea are weaker than last time round by a lot IMO.

Scunny and Blackpool are going to be bottom 8.

Coventry and Derby will be tougher.

All of those games can be won, another 10 points isn't out of the question but let's not take anything for granted.

We have a very thin squad in some areas and if we have to fall back on the likes of LJ, Sproule, B Wilson too often or pull stunts like Skuse in defence or McCombe up front we will make things hard.

We need to stay injury free.

We did actually have a pretty tough start to the campaign but I think it's getting truer and truer that there are no easy games at this level.

Definitely a tough first five game: three teams that we have played so far are currently in the top six, and to come away with four points isn't too shameful. Add to that the wins over Palace and QPR and you have to say that one way or another we've done really well.

We haven't done it in style, but our form is currently good enough to push for promotion (and hey there's only 41 games to go!!).

To have a proper goalscorer in Nicky Maynard will be a big plus.

An average of two points a games is a promotion stat but we are only 5 games in so no point taking it too seriously. Good to be on target tho' despite City only playing really well for one half in those games.

The performances so far remind me of the first CCC season under Johnson. City holding their own, defending well most of the time and nicking the points by the odd goal. City's goal difference has been pretty much the same the whole time in the CCC. Maybe if Maynard stays fit and maintains his form we might we see that improve.

An average of two points a games is a promotion stat but we are only 5 games in so no point taking it too seriously. Good to be on target tho' despite City only playing really well for one half in those games.

The performances so far remind me of the first CCC season under Johnson. City holding their own, defending well most of the time and nicking the points by the odd goal. City's goal difference has been pretty much the same the whole time in the CCC. Maybe if Maynard stays fit and maintains his form we might we see that improve.

I don't have the stats to hand, but if my memory is correct our goal difference has been pretty much the same since Johnson took over, and not just in the Championship. We are a consistently low-scoring side that has to place a heavy emphasis on keeping clean sheets in order to get results. Most victories tend to be by one-goal. This leaves very little margin for error, and accounts for the 'Alamo' style finish to many of our matches when we have a narrow lead - and the conceding of late equalisers/winners.

I don't see this changing in the immediately foreseeable future. I am as pleased as anyone with where we find ourselves after five league games, and long may it continue, but I think you are right to sound a cautionary reminder about our GD (significantly less already than all the other sides occupying a top six place). Our tendency to cut it fine and not kill teams off when we have the upper hand has been characteristic of the side under GJ. It's hard to argue with it without sounding like a moaner when it's brought you one promotion and a play-off final , which I've no wish to do, and you have to the man credit where it's due, but it's an aspect of our approach that does still bother me sometimes.

Perhaps the continuing emergence of Maynard will make the difference this season. We haven't had a striker for some considerable time who looks capable of getting 20 in a season. As a rule we tend to be a side that doesn't create a high number of clear scoring chances. If Maynard starts burying them on a regular basis with the ruthlessness he showed yesterday, my stress levels may not be as high during the last twenty minutes of games as they have been for the last three seasons...

I don't have the stats to hand, but if my memory is correct our goal difference has been pretty much the same since Johnson took over, and not just in the Championship. We are a consistently low-scoring side that has to place a heavy emphasis on keeping clean sheets in order to get results. Most victories tend to be by one-goal. This leaves very little margin for error, and accounts for the 'Alamo' style finish to many of our matches when we have a narrow lead - and the conceding of late equalisers/winners.

I don't see this changing in the immediately foreseeable future. I am as pleased as anyone with where we find ourselves after five league games, and long may it continue, but I think you are right to sound a cautionary reminder about our GD (significantly less already than all the other sides occupying a top six place). Our tendency to cut it fine and not kill teams off when we have the upper hand has been characteristic of the side under GJ. It's hard to argue with it without sounding like a moaner when it's brought you one promotion and a play-off final , which I've no wish to do, and you have to the man credit where it's due, but it's an aspect of our approach that does still bother me sometimes.

Perhaps the continuing emergence of Maynard will make the difference this season. We haven't had a striker for some considerable time who looks capable of getting 20 in a season. As a rule we tend to be a side that doesn't create a high number of clear scoring chances. If Maynard starts burying them on a regular basis with the ruthlessness he showed yesterday, my stress levels may not be as high during the last twenty minutes of games as they have been for the last three seasons...

I've not seen City play as positively as they did against Middlesborough. We looked very threatening throughout the match and we didn't look content with just the 2-1 victory towards the end, as we had the crowd behind us which seemed to spur the players on.

Yesterday wouldn't have been a one goal victory if Ivan Sproule had half a brain cell in his head.

By the way, did anyone see who won the ultimately fruitless sprint between Akinde and Elliott in the final seconds as they foolishly thought Ivan might do the obvious thing and square the ball for a tap in? They both went from our half to their box looking like Usain Bolt.

I've not seen City play as positively as they did against Middlesbrough. We looked very threatening throughout the match and we didn't look content with just the 2-1 victory towards the end, as we had the crowd behind us which seemed to spur the players on.

As I said in another thread, if it wasn't for a crap referee and some odd substitutions by GJ at Preston we'd have 12 points, and currently be sat at the top of the table. The next few games look a bit easier, though anyone in this division is capable of beating anyone else onn their day, so I wouldn't take anything for granted.

As I said in another thread, if it wasn't for a crap referee and some odd substitutions by GJ at Preston we'd have 12 points, and currently be sat at the top of the table. The next few games look a bit easier, though anyone in this division is capable of beating anyone else onn their day, so I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Alternatively, you could say that had the phantom goal been given to Palace, perhaps we'd be lower down the table!

You take the rough with the smooth in football and whilst our performances haven't been too pretty it's the points that matter.

It's rarely boring supporting City!!

I've not seen City play as positively as they did against Middlesborough. We looked very threatening throughout the match and we didn't look content with just the 2-1 victory towards the end, as we had the crowd behind us which seemed to spur the players on.

Great start to the season from my point of view. Our annual 3 points at the Ricoh look even more promising considering their loss to Blackpool.

A mate of mine who went to that game said by 60 minutes the Cov fans were abusing their own players and throwing objects at them onto the pitch.

And I thought our fans were fickle! :innocent06:

Great start to the season from my point of view. Our annual 3 points at the Ricoh look even more promising considering their loss to Blackpool.

A mate of mine who went to that game said by 60 minutes the Cov fans were abusing their own players and throwing objects at them onto the pitch.

And I thought our fans were fickle! :innocent06:

I'd like to think that City will go into every game this season letting the opposition worry about us. I thought the way we played against Middlesbrough was exactly in this way they had no answer to our desire and effort to win the game, they simply couldn't match us in that department. I think Coventry won't be able to cope with Maynard; I'm going for a two nil City win.

Yes Trundle won't be able to play.

Wouldnt bother me if he could. No disrespect intended but Fonts or Louis would keep him out all day.

Cov Away- we seem to have the sign over them and they were dog rough vs Blackpool. 1pt.

Swans away- finding it a struggle for obvious reasons- 1pt

Scunny home- should really be a win... 3pts

Derby away- good side, happy to get a point- 1pt

Pool home- good form, Holloway returns... like scunny looks like 3pts but....... 3pts

Cov or Swans could be wins but i have a horrible feeling about Holloways return.

It certainly looks like being another good season. We've done really well to get 10 points from what has been a difficult start and if we can maintain this sort of form we'll definitely be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Next five fixtures look very promising and I'll be disappointed if we get any less than another 10 points - Derby looks to be the only really difficult match.

Derby looks to be the only really difficult match.

They are all hard matches. If you go with that attitude you end up earning 2 points instead of 8-10.

Coventry- looks easier on paper but expect them to try and bounce back.

Swansea - Best we have ever done there is a point. I don't expect us to get much more than that.

S****horpe - The most winnable game.

Derby - We owe them after they managed to get 4 points out of us last season but deserved nothing. Still they have a 100% home record so far so not easy.

Blackpool home - They haven't lost yet. If anything thinks this is an easy game think again.

I would say 7 or 8 points would be good. 10+ and we are in dreamland.

ive got a feeling coventry will beat us they are due a win against us just like we were against qpr

derby will be another really hard game and would take a point

the rest are very winable games but championship football is very unpredictable so anything can happen

Coventry, Swansea, S****orpe, Derby, Blackpool. I fancy us to get another 3 wins from these games. Our last five games were against much better teams in my opinion so I'm excited about the month ahead.

Hindsights a wonderfull thing but 3pts and no wins, :noexpression: so far aint, wonderfull that is.

Hindsight is isn`t it, especially if you keep your mouth schtum at the time and then pipe up when the situation matches your outlook.

PDG

I`m sure everything will be fine, :unsure: lets be happy till um xmas

I can't believe that anyone who saw us outclassed by a League One side in midweek and then beat a side who were in the Prem last year can suddenly think the next 5 games are in any way predictable...

I saw that game :noexpression: and we are never predictable, unlike some posters :innocent06:

Archived