IGNORED

Will The New Signings

bcfcbs20

our gates have been down this year for whatever reason unemployment/credit crunch, people on holiday etc..... but now we have signed some real quality will we see increased attendances at ag or will people give it a few months to see how well we do and maybe purchase a half season ticket later in the year

our gates have been down this year for whatever reason unemployment/credit crunch, people on holiday etc..... but now we have signed some real quality will we see increased attendances at ag or will people give it a few months to see how well we do and maybe purchase a half season ticket later in the year

In short, I don't think so. Even with veteran household names we'd still struggle. As it happens, Sno and Saborio aren't names that people know about.

A few 5-nil wins in a row would be a better bet for increasing the attendances, heres hoping :-)

I was comfortably happy with our performance against Middlesbrough. It was my first game of the season and it was superb to see, so I'll certainly think about going more often when I get the money.

In short, I don't think so. Even with veteran household names we'd still struggle. As it happens, Sno and Saborio aren't names that people know about.

Most fans know all about Evander Sno because he has played for Ajax and Celtic. I don't think too many would have heard about Saborio as he hasn't played in a well known division like Sno.

Pity the new players start with 2 away games at Coventry and Swansea, but providing reports are favourable from these games I'd expect the S****horpe gate to be at least 1500 up on what it would have been.

Even more if Sno and Saborio shine away from home and get good publicity from the matches.

Don't underestimate how much these 2 signings have got Bristol buzzing.

I reckon many lapsed or disenchanted fans who have been waiting for such a positive move from the club will be reinvigorated and will, initially at least, turn out in in force.

Pity the new players start with 2 away games at Coventry and Swansea, but providing reports are favourable from these games I'd expect the S****horpe gate to be at least 1500 up on what it would have been.

Even more if Sno and Saborio shine away from home and get good publicity from the matches.

I reckon many lapsed or disenchanted fans who have been waiting for such a positive move from the club will be reinvigorated and will, initially at least, turn out in in force.

Maybe if the two new signings make impressive starts at Coventry and Swansea and City win both games that may make a difference to the gate against Scunny but I doubt that Saborio will start at Cov as he'll have been on trans Atlantic international duty.

Scunny aren't exactly an attractive team either and with the POTD prices as they are there won't be many 'casual' fans dropping in.

I reckon it'll take a few games of good results and rave reviews before gates at AG start to pick up.

The bottom line is that results make all the difference.

Well, we've already seen a post on here today from a lapsed fan of two years+ who is excited enough by the goings on at AG to return to the Gate and attempt to round up some old football mates to join him.

We're not only doing well on the pitch, we now have the prospect of genuinely exciting players and entertaining football to go with it.

I've said it many times, that many fans need to feel they are likely to be entertained to get them off their armchairs and into the stands at Ashton Gate.

This hasn't always been the case despite our success, but there seems a genuine prospect of it now and this will be the spur that many lazy, lapsed, disenchanted or even bored Bristol City fans have been waiting for.

I bet there are many who were not going to bother with the S****horpe match who have already now decided to go.

It would be very interesting to know what sort of business the ticket office has been doing in the last 24 hours.

same here the people ive spoken to today are buzzing with excitement and anticipation and these are people who only occasionally go down the gate 4 or 5 times a season now there thinking about making it a regular thing which can only be good for the club in the long run

I think the new signing may improve the gate a little but with things the way they are economically those on low pay will still balance food for the week against 90 mins of (i hope) entertainment, and for 99% of supporters who have a family food and family will win. I'd love to come to the next home game but I've been out sick over a year so it doesn't matter if we signed Sno, Saborio, or Ronaldo and Kaka finances say I don't go. I hope those of you lucky enough to be able to afford to go every week remember some of us can't but we're still City through and through.

£10 to £15 a seat and I`d bring 2 others plus me; the club would get extra £30/£45 pound in and 3 empty seats filled; plus extras at food/drink/shop etc. Wouldnt take long to fill ground;

I know it cant happen for all games as ST`s would be miffed but for the lesser games i.e Scunny I am in hope for some kind of offer; :fingerscrossed:

At present levels those seats will stay empty until near end of season or when "big games "appear.

Guest ashtonyate

Sorry to say a lot of fans were disenchanted with the football played last season yes the recession played its part but football under Johnson has not been that entertaining i know that statement will upset some but its the truth.

Once fan's stop going its takes some hard work to get them back,it will take a good run of games with the team performing well to do that.

I think games over Christmas and if we get into the play off are the best ways of getting fans back,also give a big discount over say 3 games a once offer of £30 and include up to 2 kid in that.

Sorry to say a lot of fans were disenchanted with the football played last season yes the recession played its part but football under Johnson has not been that entertaining i know that statement will upset some but its the truth.

Once fan's stop going its takes some hard work to get them back,it will take a good run of games with the team performing well to do that.

Agreed AY. The quality of the football, the results and affordable POTD prices are what brings the casual fans back. Last season with only 6 home wins had an impact on casual fans particularly in view of the dour football being played. City certainly played prettier, but ultimately less effective football under Wilson.

The two new signings won't make much difference to the attendences imo.

Agreed AY. The quality of the football, the results and affordable POTD prices are what brings the casual fans back. Last season with only 6 home wins had an impact on casual fans particularly in view of the dour football being played. City certainly played prettier, but ultimately less effective football under Wilson.

Still reckon 1500 up, and it will be precisely because of the prospect of more exciting and entertaining football, plus the feelgood factor. The two intervening results will of course have a bearing.

Those who unfortunately simply cannot afford it will still not be able to go of course but don't forget City have 40,000 plus semi active followers as our Cup Final/play off trips testify, of which only about 11,300 have Season Tickets.

If only 10% of those 25,000+ who do not attend regularly are inspired by current events to get down the Gate then the attendance would increase by 2,500.

I reckon the S****horpe attendance will now be at least near the season's average rather than about 13k, and if the momentum is maintained between now and then we could well even be looking at a season's best attendance.

Guest ashtonyate

I am sure a big problem is pay on the day We use to go along and pay our money and just

go into the ground.

Now it a bit more of a rigmarole and stops the on the spur of the moment supporter from coming to matches I think.

Maybe if the two new signings make impressive starts at Coventry and Swansea and City win both games that may make a difference to the gate against Scunny but I doubt that Saborio will start at Cov as he'll have been on trans Atlantic international duty.

Scunny aren't exactly an attractive team either and with the POTD prices as they are there won't be many 'casual' fans dropping in.

I reckon it'll take a few games of good results and rave reviews before gates at AG start to pick up.

Exactly right. Football is a result driven business, get the results....you will get the crowds, simple as that.

If come Christmas we are sniffing top 6 then crowds will go up, if come March we are still there, expect 17,000+ crowds for the remainder of the season.

Then expect 40,000 of us at Wembley

Then expect thousands to line the streets as the open top bus tour parades around town with the players celebrating promotion :innocent06:

I think games over Christmas and if we get into the play off are the best ways of getting fans back,also give a big discount over say 3 games a once offer of £30 and include up to 2 kid in that.

Got to agree with you there AY, maybe somebody should start a thread/poll as to why the main reason they did not renew this season, and what it would take to get them back on board.

I agree that the best way to get gates up is good results, and these new players could add to that

However on the scunny point made by robbored, Historical studies of attendance at sport (esp football) show that the best games for high gates, are games where fans perceive they will win a high scoring game.

So surprisingly its not just the high quality of opposition that brings us in, its the chance of a good win and a few goals, and id imagine Scunny is one of the few games where we wouldnt be blowing our own trumpet to suggest that could be a strong possibility.

I only chirped up as I researched this in a university finals project. See its not just all day drinking and weeks without a wash ha ha

The main reason the gates are down is that the couple of thousand season tickets we sold on the back of the chance of being in the Prem didn't renew when we weren't.

So the club have done a survey already have they, or is this something you just believe to be the reason.

So the club have done a survey already have they, or is this something you just believe to be the reason.

Umm, of course the club haven't done a survey and it's a opinion just like every other post on a forum. Care to offer one or did you just want to nitpick over semantics?

Do you think that there's some other main reason for a 2-3k jump in ST sales just before a wembley final and a corresponding drop the season immediately following our loss?

I don't think the crowd's will up unless we at least have a good home record(too many draws last season as we all know).That the club realizes it's better to fill the ground making it cheaper than having 3/4k empty seats with no income at all from those seat.

sorry didn't see the reopening of the season sales please ignore if u read what I put earlier.

Is Saborio going to be in the frame for Coventry? My understanding is that he returns the night before and i suspect he may not. If he is, and i am still here, i am going to make the trip to the Ricoh so i for one will add to the stats; i'd like to see both of them play to down tools and make the long trip.

Archived