IGNORED

Ivan Sproule - Scapegoat Of The Season?

mozo

Junior had pace and was exciting to watch but some of the misses were truly awful.

There aren't that many players who have his pace and players with that pace and know what to do with it play in the Champions league!

He's very inconsistent and fails to produce the same game more than twice in a season.

players with that pace and know what to do with it play in the Champions league!

Yes, but surely having a footballing brain is a basic necessity to succeed at any level of professional football, let alone Champion's League.

Ivan's appears to be relatively small and certainly not Championship size.

Guest churchill gaffer
You answered your point in the thread title! Yes he will probably be the scapegoat for this season, probably doesn't deserve it but unfortunately thats the way things are going at the moment. To be fair he is more frustrating than poor on the basis you sense he could be very very good but has never quite realised his potential!

A friend of mine who is a Hibs fan

Said the same when we were buying him

He said there is nobody faster, he is that fast he ends in the stand and leaves the ball behind?

I thought he was joking, but as you can see he was right!

He is not a Championship player, IMO he cannot control the ball.

Sproule, technically, isnt Championship standard.

What his all round game brings to the team however ensures that he is a valuable squad player. He isnt going to start 30 games a season, scoring 5 and assisting 8. But he does bring raw pace to the side which, if implemented correctly by both the management and himself, can be a very potent weapon. A knock on affect of his pace is the fear it instills into the opposition defence, who subsequently drop deeper, which subsequently creates a gulf between midfield and attack for either the strikers to drop into or the midfielders to exploit.

He's a squad player and a valuable one at that. As long as we're not breaking the bank for him im pleased that we have him as an option on the right flank.

No he doesnt possess a top notch 'footballing brain', if he did he'd be somewhere much better than here, but his pace is a fantastic option to have, he has a fantastic work rate - or at least the speed to do, essentially, the same job, and his delivery, whilst not fantastic, is certainly not the poor standard it is frequently cast to be.

He seems to have spells of around 5 games where he's a really good asset to have. Think he's definately one of those 'confidence' players. Still a good addition to the squad coming off the bench but whenever that bench peformance merits a starting place he always seems to fail to deliver. Thus resulting in being on the bench next game, just seems to be going round in circles..

Frustrating player all be it a usefull one.

Yes, but surely having a footballing brain is a basic necessity to succeed at any level of professional football, let alone Champion's League.

Ivan's appears to be relatively small and certainly not Championship size.

Maybe that is the secret to his speed, a less weighty brain would certainly assist in the power to weight ratio.

I think he's one of the worst players to wear the shirt.

But in terms of analysing the player, he's truely shite.

I did see it and to be honest it was only his pace and the fact the crowd urged him on.

Maybe that is the secret to his speed, a less weighty brain would certainly assist in the power to weight ratio.

These are exactly the kind of comments that I'm referring to. Dismissing anything he does well, and labelling in the most negative way possible.

A word of warning: Danny Haynes may also frustrate you.

These are exactly the kind of comments that I'm referring to. Dismissing anything he does well, and labelling in the most negative way possible.

A word of warning: Danny Haynes may also frustrate you.

Danny Haynes won't frustrate me because he's got a lot more to his game than just pace. Sproule only produced a performance of this magnitude once or twice in the season after the game, which quite simply isn't anywhere near enough.

Danny Haynes won't frustrate me because he's got a lot more to his game than just pace, Sproule only produced a performance of this magnitude once or twice in the season after the game.

We'll see, but his reputation at Ipswich was: great pace - not enough end product. There have been glimpses of that already, although I too rate him higher than Sproule, plus he has time on his side to fulfil his potential, if our moaners are patient enough to give him the time of day, that is.

We'll see, but his reputation at Ipswich was: great pace - not enough end product. There have been glimpses of that already, although I too rate him higher than Sproule, plus he has time on his side to fulfil his potential, if our moaners are patient enough to give him the time of day, that is.

He's still only young as you say with his whole career ahead of him in which to improve, as for Sproule he will only get worse because he is coming to the peak of his career and he hasn't been anywhere near consistent enough before now. The signs are there for Ivan that he doesn't have much time on his side to improve his game to the level it needs to be. Haynes has already shown that he can be creative with his pace and he showed that against Middlesbrough.

He's still only young as you say with his whole career ahead of him in which to improve, as for Sproule he will only get worse because he is coming to the peak of his career and he hasn't been anywhere near consistent enough before now. The signs are there for Ivan that he doesn't have much time on his side to improve his game to the level it needs to be.

when you make a point in that way it's hard for me to disagree. However the suggestion that he's both stupid and our worst ever player just doesn't do a good honest professional like Ivan any justice whatsoever.

when you make a point in that way it's hard for me to disagree. However the suggestion that he's both stupid and our worst ever player just doesn't do a good honest professional like Ivan any justice whatsoever.

I don't think he has a footballing brain on the pitch he just doesn't seem to think about what he'll do when he gets to the line. I do think that when he comes off the bench for the last 10 minutes of a match that this is his only use, otherwise I'm afraid the statistics back me up that he isn't up to it.

These comments, taken from the top of the thread, aren't very nice either:

Sproule is frustrating.

His final ball is lacking.

He doesn't have the sense to keep a level head.

He can't tackle.

Who could be so rotten as to say those negative things about poor old Ivan? :innocent06:

Truth is mozo, most agree Ivan is persistently not very good BUT, for all that, nobody is particularly mean to him or gives him a hard time on matchdays.

All things considered I'd say the AG crowd give him a very easy ride, probably because there's always the very slim hope that one day he will astonish us all and repeat that memorable Southampton goal.

These comments, taken from the top of the thread, aren't very nice either:

Sproule is frustrating.

His final ball is lacking.

He doesn't have the sense to keep a level head.

He can't tackle.

Who could be so rotten as to say those negative things about poor old Ivan? :innocent06:

Truth is mozo, most agree Ivan is persistently not very good BUT, for all that, nobody is particularly mean to him or gives him a hard time on matchdays.

All things considered I'd say the AG crowd give him a very easy ride, probably because there's always the very slim hope that one day he will astonish us all and repeat that memorable Southampton goal.

How very facetious!! I presented both positives and negatives in a respectful manner. Let's not forget context old boy.

My feeling is that there has been needless slander thrown at at Ivan over the last few weeks.

You may be inclined to disagree, but it appears that a few of our fellow forumites have noticed it too (would you like me to quote some soundbites to prove my point? :innocent06: ).

Have certainly noticed the negative comments on here regarding Sproule recently.What i would say is that he can be frustrating at times,maybe his legs are too quick for his brain at times! But he is a 100%er which is some times over looked far too easily.He is definitely an impact player at the minute,not a first 11 starter.Which brings me onto my main point,if he was a consistant crosser and decision maker when in possesion,he would be in the premiereship.So as frustrating as he is and believe me i get frustrated with Ivan,as long as he is wearing the red shirt,he will get my total support.

Lets be honest, probably only creates a meaningful chance to score with about 1 in 20 dribbles, but I think a lot of people are right when they say he is a good player to bring on with 10 mins to go if we need a goal. Against tiring defenders he can be effective. If he's ok with being a sub for the next few years then (or willing to prove us wrong by trying really hard in training and get his confidence up) I'd definately keep him on a relatively low wage. Otherwise he'd probably need to go down to League 1/SPL to get regular 1st team footy.

Sproule's best asset is also his biggest downfall. His pace gets him in positions others struggle to, but then contrives to almost always **** it up. Preston away (where it cost us) and Middlesbrough home (where it didn't) spring to mind where he leads a breakaway with teammates seemingly an easy pass away, only to frustrate us all and do nothing.

My biggest bugbear is he's an absolute pansy, shuts his eyes whenever there's a header to won or a challenge to make. I honestly think he'd struggle to score in the Bristol and District League.

Having said all that, he's very adept at winning corners and I've seen halves of football where he's threatened to run riot, especially away from home.

There is a nasty side to football supporters that no doubt made Lee Johnson - an honest footballer, and apparently very nice man - very miserable.

Indeed, a very underrated footballer although I think attitudes on here are changing. He's gonna have a tough year on the sub's bench and signed a new contract just before we signed Sno. He may well try & get a transfer in Jan.

So, let's get Ivan's faults out of the way right now: yes he's frustrating because his final ball is lacking. He doesn't have the sense a lot of the time to keep a level head when his legs are bombing him down the wing. Defensively, he can't tackle (but his pace has often saved us when defending counter-attacks).

My guess is that GJ strongly believes he can improve. Maybe he shows something in training that he rarely shows on the pitch due to pressure.

People take City losing quite personally (ie "we're shit") and feel better when they assign the blame to 1 person ("he's shit, we're OK"). It's juvenile of course and let's hope that Ivan can turn the corner (literally) this year.

But best of all, Ivan is passionate when he plays for City. I love it when he wins a corner late on in tight games and raises his fist to the roaring Atyeo.

So I saw Robbored on another thread comment on another poster's labelling Sproule as a 'sham' of a player, and it struck me that Ivan gets a raw deal. He might not be what we want him to be, but you can't criticise his commitment to the cause, and perhaps he derserves more respect than he gets.

I agree. gets a raw deal from the careless few purporting they are in the majority. I mean how would they know? criticism travels a lot faster than praise. :disapointed2se:

Perhaps he is not good enough but sometimes he has most definitely affected a game and we have gone on to win. points is money. When GJ feels his time has come he will move on, for now we should get behind him and the rest of the team because that is what it is, a team effort.

I dont think it was a bad thing that Ivan got a new contract. Ok, he hasnt got the end product but if he did have it along with his pace then he would be playing at the same level as Aaron Lennon. He is what he is, a hard working, very quick honest footballer who needs confidence to perform at his best. He has had some outstanding games for us and quite a few poor games but i would rather see a percentage of my season ticket money go towards his wages than to someone like Noble or Stewart who didn't ( in my eyes ) give 100 % to BCFC.

Sproule is a very good impact player and gives us a good option if we are chasing the game. Who would you rather see come on in the last 15 mins or so -- Sproule, Brian Wilson, Skuse, Blackman ?? I ma not saying that he is a better player than Skuse, Blackman etc but he is more likely to change the game.

Archived