IGNORED

Ivan Sproule - Scapegoat Of The Season?

mozo

I think Ivan Sproule's the most frustrating footballer I've ever seen play. The simple things that most footballers can do without thinking about it requires Ivan to think twice as hard for himself. He doesn't have a footballing brain, when he goes past players he looks lost and sometimes just runs the ball out of play only because he isn't a natural footballer.

I take it that you never saw Junior Bent play for us then :)

http://soccer-video.tv/bristol-city-vs-sou...als-highlights/

When I saw him playing,I was impressed by his incredible speed and ability in dribbling his opponents...but he was not as effective as he could have been (crossing,shooting,...) . He's a strange player :) Even if he's no more in the starting11,I think he can be useful in some matches,and if he does something more ,he can maybe gain more space into the team.

We all know sproules weaknesses. Its there for all to see.

But he does not get the praise he deserves....

Okay he cannot head a ball, but I have to say he CAN tackle...

Defensively, he always tracks back and covers his full back.... time and time again... This is why I think GJ rates him slightly more than the fans do. What he lacks in quality going forward, he makes up with effort, passion and willingness to work for team.

I was too surprised he was given a new contract, but I think his pace can change games, that was something we lacked when we he signed his new contract. I dont think he'll be given a new contract after this, as the quality of our squad has significantly improved since he signed his new deal....

But I think people need to lay off him a bit.... and give him praise when he does well.....

What his game lacks and been said a million times and gets boring...

1990 - 1997.

He was short and stocky but very quick. A cheerfull chap who always played with a smile on his face. Marginally better than Sproule but just like Sproule was hopeless in front of goal.

He's incredibly small he could be shorter than Lee Johnson going by what it says on his profile.

Which brings us to another debate:

Who would you prefer...

Sproule as he is now?

Bent in his pomp?

Donowa in 90/91?

They were all speedsters and Donowa was the fastest player in the whole of the football league at one time.

Theres little to choose between them but I would go for Junior Bent simply because he played with a smile on his face despite some brutal treatment from defenders that he pissed past. It was hard to get irritated with Junior's lack of end product because of that. I don't remember him ever getting booked or sent off.

They were all speedsters and Donowa was the fastest player in the whole of the football league at one time.

Theres little to choose between them but I would go for Junior Bent simply because he played with a smile on his face despite some brutal treatment from defenders that he pissed past. It was hard to get irritated with Junior's lack of end product because of that. I don't remember him ever getting booked or sent off.

Good shout. I think Donowa had the most technical ability. I think he had previously played for Deportivo La Caruna, albeit in the 2nd div in Spain, and went on to play a lot of games for Brum.

Gavin was quickish but not as lightening quick as the other three but more tricky and productive. Maybe true speedsters pay for their pace by being unable to produce an end product. :dunno:

I'd say so. Just look at Lennon at and Wright-Phillips in the Prem; they've got far more ability than any of our right-wing heroes, but both have been accused of lacking end product at times. Then you've got the Bentley/Downing types who rarely beat their man but can consistently deliver into the box.

I guess the important thing is - and this may be why Sproule frustrates - is that players play to their strengths, but also to their limitations. Maybe Sproule needs to remind himself a little more often that he needs to steady himself before picking his final option, be it a pass, dribble or cross.

Archived