IGNORED

The Best Save You've Ever Seen At Ag

Lack of Action Man

Unfortunately I remember the derby game when we absolutely non-stop battered Rovers and Tim Carter who was about 18 at the time saved everything we threw at him and then some non-entity who ended up playing non-league about two years later (was it Gary Smart?) slammed one in from about 25 yards. The most one sided derby match EVER and we lost it!!!

As for individual saves, Paddy Kenny's from Trundle was top drawer (I still think Trundle should have buried it) and I remember a Phil Parkes (remember him?) save when he was playing for QPR from a Tom Ritchie header which was pretty special too.

Unfortunately I remember the derby game when we absolutely non-stop battered Rovers and Tim Carter who was about 18 at the time saved everything we threw at him and then some non-entity who ended up playing non-league about two years later (was it Gary Smart?) slammed one in from about 25 yards. The most one sided derby match EVER and we lost it!!!

As for individual saves, Paddy Kenny's from Trundle was top drawer (I still think Trundle should have buried it) and I remember a Phil Parkes (remember him?) save when he was playing for QPR from a Tom Ritchie header which was pretty special too.

Yep, that was my first ever game. Couldn't get the damn thing past him....and yeah it was Gary Smart.

I think it's been mentioned but Harte's save for Man City in the cup was pretty amazing. Basso, in my mind, has provided the most spectacular saves over the years.

Away from the Gate, at Wembley in 1987, a Keith Waugh diving smother at a Mansfield player's feet made a big impression on me as a nipper. Shame he kept diving to the same side in the shoot out!

Basso's penalty save against Watford. Fantastic save in a vital match and an even better quote from the Brazilian stopper: 'I asked the Holy Spirit which wave to dive and he said 'go left'. Proof (as if it was needed) that God is on our side...

Yep this is the save I was going to point out and it was also the reaction around the gate - it went mental :bounce::dancing6::bounce::dancing6:

Anyone go to Birmingham last season? Basso made one from Bowyer I think - a header from six yards in the first half when we were getting slaughtered. He leapt up and tipped it over the bar at our end - I just stood and looked without saying a word....

I'm also old enough to remember the late sixties and a certain Mike Gibson - legend.

West Ham goalkeeper Mervyn Day during the filming of "All In The Game"...a sort of weird football-based It's A Knockout competition during one summer in the Seventies. He seemed to be able to save anything fired at him and just mad save after save!

Goodness me that brings back memories, it was filmed at AG too

not a 'save'as such, but Welchy getting the ball outside his area near the eastend corner and flicking it over two bemused Sheff Utd players closing in on him before clearing it.

also anything Seb Dijkstra did, 'cos he was one sexy MoFo with his leapord skin kit and sideburns baby, Yeah!

(well not the leapord skin kit, that bit was made up)

Brian Tinnion played a blinder in goal, I think it was against Burnley.

City managed to hold on for a 2-1 win, after Keith Welch had been sent off.

I remember him making a really good save to palm it around the post, but it looked ridiculous because the gloves and the shirt were massive on him.

West Ham goalkeeper Mervyn Day during the filming of "All In The Game"...a sort of weird football-based It's A Knockout competition during one summer in the Seventies. He seemed to be able to save anything fired at him and just mad save after save!

I seem to recall Mervyn Day saving a Gerry Sweeney pen, then it being re took because he moved, and saving that 1 as well, back

in the early 70's.

I have to say that performance by Richard Wright back in 98 was the best ive ever seen by a keeper at the gate, we battered them all day long, and they nicked it one nil at the death.

Remember a series of saves in front on the ateyo from a corner, I think from akinbiy twice and then whilst led on the floor he managed to stop a piledriver from adam locke from about 2 yards out! was the best save I have ever seen.

Aslo rember gillingham beating us the year before at home, akinbiyi scored for them, and there keeper played a blinder, may have been vince bartram? something like that, whatever his name we could have played til midnight and not scored, the lad was unbeatable.

I have to say that performance by Richard Wright back in 98 was the best ive ever seen by a keeper at the gate, we battered them all day long, and they nicked it one nil at the death.

Remember a series of saves in front on the ateyo from a corner, I think from akinbiy twice and then whilst led on the floor he managed to stop a piledriver from adam locke from about 2 yards out! was the best save I have ever seen.

Aslo rember gillingham beating us the year before at home, akinbiyi scored for them, and there keeper played a blinder, may have been vince bartram? something like that, whatever his name we could have played til midnight and not scored, the lad was unbeatable.

I thought also from our amazing 98/99 season when we played the mighty bury at home and we drew 1-1 and dean kiely played amazing

Not saying this was the best save ever, but Peter Shilton playing for Leicester . . . I think it was 1970 and the League Cup tie.

Watched it from the East End and my memory is of Trevor Tainton smashing a volley towards the left hand of the Open End goal. It was one of those 'this is a goal' moments but Shilton flew across from the other side of the goal and tipped it away. It's a save that made a big impression on me at the time as a young'un.

Happily we won 2-1 in extra time and went on to the semi-finals.

Unfortunately Shilton is better remembered in these parts for the game when he collided with Cheesley

and our great striker damaged his knee beyond repair.

Archived