IGNORED

Great Game, Bristol City

mindjuicer

Don't let the scoreline deceive you. S****horpe didn't look at all dangerous and their goal was a fluke. If it wasn't for their defence, we'd have got 3 or 4.

Both defence and midfield looked great today. S****horpe only had about 1 decent shot on goal and Basso saved it.

Sno is amazing, seriously amazing. The guy didn't get tackled once, never gave the ball away except for a couple of dodgy passes and played some really nice passes. Beautiful to watch too.

LJ was the best of a good midfield, believe it or not. Marv looks back in form and outshone Hartley.

Fonts was genius & McAllister was excellent. He (and later Orr) were pushing up well and crossing nicely. I thought McCombe did well, really answered his critics.

Saborio looks superb. Can dribble, head, lots of nice tricks and, of course, poached the goal.

Maynard wasn't fit, only had a couple of decent touches & half chances and looked really knackered 35 mins in.

I didn't understand the subtitutions. Sproule didn't suck and Skuse wasn't too bad (both really need to learn where their team mates are).

Last third possibly let us down but we actually looked quite dangerous attacking towards the end of the game.

Don't let the scoreline deceive you. S****horpe didn't look at all dangerous and their goal was a fluke. If it wasn't for their defence, we'd have got 3 or 4.

Both defence and midfield looked great today. S****horpe only had about 1 decent shot on goal and Basso saved it.

Sno is amazing, seriously amazing. The guy didn't get tackled once, never gave the ball away except for a couple of dodgy passes and played some really nice passes. Beautiful to watch too.

LJ was the best of a good midfield, believe it or not. Marv looks back in form and outshone Hartley.

Fonts was genius & McAllister was excellent. He (and later Orr) were pushing up well and crossing nicely. I thought McCombe did well, really answered his critics.

Saborio looks superb. Can dribble, head, lots of nice tricks and, of course, poached the goal.

Maynard wasn't fit, only had a couple of decent touches & half chances and looked really knackered 35 mins in.

I didn't understand the subtitutions. Sproule didn't suck and Skuse wasn't too bad (both really need to learn where their team mates are).

Last third possibly let us down but we actually looked quite dangerous attacking towards the end of the game.

i alot of people on here will not agree with you.

i think it was just down to city not killing teams AGAIN!!!

Can I have some of what you're on?

Decent enough of you to put a positive slant on a uninspiringing and dour game but seriously........City played the wrong formation its as simple as that. You can't blame the players for that.

You must be on a wind-up, if you actually think those things I'd be very concerned about your mental state.

i think it was just down to city not killing teams AGAIN!!!

We had a go. We relaxed but we didn't sit back and played some classy football. Substitutions haven't been GJ's forte this season but they were attacking-minded and both Sproule & Skuse looked OK.

Maybe S****horpe are just bad but they beat Palace midweek and slaughtered Preston last Saturday.

Honestly, I think half you guys know SFA about football.

Sproule had just enough time for his trademark "getting to the byline and spooning his cross into the side netting", I don't think he touched the ball otherwise, how is that looking OK?

Today wasn't a disastrous result given the injuries/sickness in the squad and Scunnies current form, it is just the manner of conceding the equaliser and the 'same old faces' not performing seems to have gotten peoples backs up.

Sproule had just enough time for his trademark "getting to the byline and spooning his cross into the side netting", I don't think he touched the ball otherwise, how is that looking OK?

Today wasn't a disastrous result given the injuries/sickness in the squad and Scunnies current form, it is just the manner of conceding the equaliser and the 'same old faces' not performing seems to have gotten peoples backs up.

That's the thing though isn't it. Everyone performed. People on here are so stuck in the LJ's shit, Sproule's shit, McCombe's shit mentality they can't see the difference.

Sproule beat his man in a tight spot both times he had the ball, got to the byline and crossed it. If one of his crosses had connected, everyone would be applauding him, and GJ for the substitution.

That's my definition of OK. If he'd spent the whole game doing wayward crosses then yeah have a go at him if you must.

If S****horpe hadn't got their totally undeserved equaliser, people would be much more enthusiastic about our performance.

We had a go. We relaxed but we didn't sit back and played some classy football. Substitutions haven't been GJ's forte this season but they were attacking-minded and both Sproule & Skuse looked OK.

Maybe S****horpe are just bad but they beat Palace midweek and slaughtered Preston last Saturday.

i agree

You are spot on sir/madam. I know SFA about football because I, for the life of me, cannot work out how stringing four central midfield players across the centre of the park brings any width to our play. Now accepting that I didn't play professional football and therefore know SFA as you say I thought it must be just me until on the way home I heard an ex-professional footballer (who must also know SFA compared to you) say exactly what I was thinking. How odd.

If playing Premier League football means trying to pass our way down blind alleys in the middle of the park when we clearly have a couple of forwards who will do serious damage once they get some half decent service from wide areas then I would prefer to watch lower league football every single day of the week. Joe Murphy had one decent save to make - from yet another 25 yard Maynard effort, we also had one goal disallowed but what else did we create that wasn't a speculative effort from outside the box? Whereas Basso made three decent/good saves if my memory serves.

Classy football, to my limited football knowledge, is football that creates chances and excites supporters. I didn't see that today because as you say I know SFA about football.

The substitutions weakend the team.

That's the thing though isn't it. Everyone performed. People on here are so stuck in the LJ's shit, Sproule's shit, McCombe's shit mentality they can't see the difference.

Sproule beat his man in a tight spot both times he had the ball, got to the byline and crossed it. If one of his crosses had connected,

But they didnt and they SO often dont!

If S****horpe hadn't got their totally undeserved equaliser, I think Basso had to pull off more 'goal stopping ' saves than their keeper!

people would be much more enthusiastic about our performance.

Our goal was also a fluke :noexpression: We didn't create any real chances for the strikers.

Mcombe was as usual hopeless with the ball on the floor, midfield weren't great we didn't create anything. We had alot of possesion but didn't do anything with it, as usual we got around the box and didn't want to shoot when it was the best option. Absolutely no width whatsoever which comes down to GJ's tactics.

Sno played well something we finally agree on

LJ was poor and was carried, marv didn't outshine hartley and still looks a shadow of the player he was, although he is improving and i would have him in the team.

Orr and Mcallister offered nothing going forward as usual with poor crosses. Covered Mcombe earlier

Saborio looked decent and one of the plus points, looks like GJ has made a very good signing

Sproule was ******* awful. Ran down the wing got to the byline and crossed it straight into the side netting as usual and yet people are still surprised he does it :laugh: His first touch was ******* terrible aswell, shouldn't be near the squad.

The final ball let us down ALL game

We need to bring in wingers, when we can't play 3-5-2 and have to go 4-4-2 we have no wingers and look disjointed and play everything down the middle.

Classy football, to my limited football knowledge, is football that creates chances and excites supporters.

Partially agree with this.

There were several half-chances that I remember. Maynard was put through twice and McCombe had a clear header off a corner. There was a goal-line scramble that could so easily have gone in.

S****horpe played quite well defensively, often having 11 players behind the ball.

Maynard didn't have a great game so that didn't help. But I also felt that we didn't expect to score in the first half. Sometimes players were in good positions and didn't get the support they needed.

Yes, final ball was clearly lacking - but more than that, a lack of understanding between the 3 forwards, 2 of which are new signings (btw Maynard was in the middle). That can only get better.

Repeating "we have no width, we have no width" doesn't get us anywhere. We have no decent wingers seemingly, apart from possibly Haynes, who I spoke to at half time and is recovering from tonsillitis. But it's also overlooking the great play by Orr (which set up the goal), and McAllister was consistently somewhat dangerous the whole game.

TBH, lots of ex-professional footballers are as thick as pigshit. I note that GJ agrees with me, as did everyone I talked to during & after the game.

You could probabaly apply that piece of wisdom to our efforts against every team we meet. :noexpression:

What would be more encouraging is if we managed to get three or four despite the best efforts of the opposition's defence!

Other teams with far less resources than Gary Johnson at their disposal like S****horpe. for example, who have never spent anything like £2 million on a player seem to manage it.

Sorry, but I disagree with a lot of your points. How did Marvin Elliot outshine Hartley? I actually felt Elliot was played out of position (Hartley made some great passes though).

The performance today wasn't the worst, but it was far from being brilliant. We still hardly ever score and that's a concern. Playing it safe with 1 goal for a game just isn't good, and that was proven last season with the amount of last minute goals conceded.

Other teams with far less resources than Gary Johnson at their disposal like S****horpe. for example, who have never spent anything like £2 million on a player seem to manage it.

I agree.

I watched the Sheff derby last night. Cracking game, and although they are obviously teams with big resources, neither side look that much better in terms of players' technical abilities, but what was noticable was the pace of the game and how quickly they passed the ball. We rarely move it around quickly, and often do the opposite and slow everything down, by turning and passing back to the defence. So when we do try to attack, the other side invariably has its defenders in position. This I reckon could be why we seem to have so much trouble getting more than one goal!

We are above Scunny, though.

Conversely other clubs like Derby and Forest, with far more resources than us achieve less than we do....

Sorry, but I disagree with a lot of your points. How did Marvin Elliot outshine Hartley? I actually felt Elliot was played out of position (Hartley made some great passes though).

Hartley was kinda anonymous in the first half whereas Elliott was really up for it. Elliott twice got in a good position in the first half and was let down by lack of support.

The performance today wasn't the worst, but it was far from being brilliant. We still hardly ever score and that's a concern. Playing it safe with 1 goal for a game just isn't good, and that was proven last season with the amount of last minute goals conceded.

I agree that last third performance wasn't brilliant. When was the last time we domininated in midfield like that? From what I've read, the defence hasn't played that well all season either.

Isn't it the first time we've played 4-3-3 well this season too? Let's not forget we have 6 or so out through illness too.

We didn't play it safe, S****horpe played very defensively and a lot of our moves didn't come off.

Looking into the future, we need Marv to stay in form and get in lots of practice with Saborio - I feel these two are going to score 40 goals between them this season.

Sno should be allowed to float every game - and really we should be looking to sign him regardless of the cost and building a team around him.

The defence is finally looking solid, midfield is looking good for the first time in 2 seasons. Just need some good link-up play in the final third, more of McAllister & Orr pushing up & crossing and we'll be heading to the play-offs.

We are above Scunny, though.

Conversely other clubs like Derby and Forest, with far more resources than us achieve less than we do....

Being above S****horpe, Derby and Forest is not a fantastic justification for watching a season of "Binary" football (i.e. only the number 1 and 0 in the goals column). Today, clearly, is not the end of the world and there were a couple of promising performances but there are times when I wish GJ would "grow a pair" and send the team out to have a right go. Saborio and Maynard have the potential to tear teams apart if they get some service - but all they get to feed off is scraps.

Yes, perspective is required along the lines of only one defeat in eight league games but at the end of the day the football ain't that great to watch at the minute and some people, myself included, would like to see us play with more width. A draw wouldn't be seen as quite so "disastrous" in many peoples eyes if that were the case!!

Urgency just leads to mistakes. Sno looked almost like he was sunbathing whilst playing yet all agree he had a great game. :icecream:

Also want to add the ref sucked today. GJ reckons we should have had a penalty and they did a blatant handball on the edge of their area that would have been our 2nd best chance of the game. He called suspect decisions against Scunny too, tho nothing potentially match-changing.

Archived