IGNORED

The Short Corner

Corsham Ed

Why oh why do the management insist in playing the short corner? I beleive on 2 occasions today we were blown up for offside.

For christ sake if we have a corner, let's get into the box instead of fannying around in the corner. :ranting:

i agree one hundred percent when hartley started to just lump it into the box from the corner we looked much more dangerous, whats the point in winning a corner from the opposition if straight away we give it back to the opposition straight away :noexpression: its a complete and utter waste of time in my opinion :disapointed2se:

I do agree with this however it can be used to bring more of their men out of their box. They will have to bring two men out of the box however i do always feel very worried when i see McAllister and Hartley trotting over to take it anxiously hoping their men on the post stay there!

Exactly, as two opposition players have to cover our two it means one less defender in the box. It can also change the angle of delivery of the cross. Also a good ploy for the corner taker to play a low pass to an unmarked City player on the edge of the box. We have seen a few of these in the past.

But to make sure you avoid the off side decisions the receiving player has to kill the ball dead, not let it run forward, and then get out of the way to allow the cross by the player who took the corner. Now that seems pretty simple, doesn't it? So we should not see any more repeats then should we?

I agree. Complete waste of time.

I was sat there today thinking "Why on earth does it take two professional footballers to take a corner?".

It might just be me being empty headed, but I can't remember the last time we scored from a corner. Saying that, I can't remember the last time we conceded from one either.

Gahh, my memory isn't what it might be!

Actually, the ball has to go forward in order for the players to be offside. As they stopped it dead, it's not going forward.

As that's a factual error by the officials, unless thye lie and say it went forward in their opinions..then we can get the game replayed as they do every time the rules aren't know by the officials.

Actually, the ball has to go forward in order for the players to be offside. As they stopped it dead, it's not going forward.

As that's a factual error by the officials, unless thye lie and say it went forward in their opinions..then we can get the game replayed as they do every time the rules aren't know by the officials.

I'm pretty sure the touch counts as a pass though, either way the ball should be flighted in first time, surely it's not that difficult, footballers are spoon fed with thousands of pounds a week anyway, it's not so much to ask to whip in a corner is it? :tumbleweed:

The second one shouldn't in my view have been given as offside as the ball didn't appear to be passed forward and if the ball doesn't go forward it's impossible to be offside, couldn't see the first one but unless i missed it then the second one never should have been given. However i would say that if the first one was the same then the players should have known that the linesman was incompetent and unaware of the rules so shouldn't have been trying it again.

Does the direction of the ball matter? I thought you had to be behind the ball unless you had 2 defenders between you and the goal line.

Yeah it does otherwise you'd se the ridiculous situation of two players clean through unable to pass to each other until a defender caught up!

ive started a post about this stupid corner before, it annoys me so much to see them wasted like that with the amount of height we have in the box,

If were going to carry on trying to drag oppositions players out of the box we should just have mccalister or whoever it is standing there and hartley should just whip it into the box first time anyway!!

Yeah it does otherwise you'd se the ridiculous situation of two players clean through unable to pass to each other until a defender caught up!

No, it doesn't. The direction at which the ball is played is completely irrelevant to the offside rule.

This might help - Page 31.

The officials are correct to give offside.

EDIT: And just to further explain: if two players are through on goal, one can pass to the other provided the player receiving the ball is behind the player passing it. However, if the receiver was infront of the player passing it, but went back to collect a pass made in a backwards direction, he would be offside.

No, it doesn't. The direction at which the ball is played is completely irrelevant to the offside rule.

This might help - Page 31.

The officials are correct to give offside.

EDIT: And just to further explain: if two players are through on goal, one can pass to the other provided the player receiving the ball is behind the player passing it. However, if the receiver was infront of the player passing it, but went back to collect a pass made in a backwards direction, he would be offside.

Did S****horpe not have defenders (and the goalkeeper) on the goalline?

Surely McAllister when the ball was passed to him (i.e. when Hartley trapped the ball) could not have been forward of the goal line???

How often do you see the top sides use the short corner routine? Answer - very,very rarely.

Barca used it all the time last season. And I was watching the Manchester derby today and United used it like 80% of the time.

It can work but I've always been a fan of the old fashioned stick it between the penalty spot and the 6 yard box and hope one of your players gets on the end of it.

Did S****horpe not have defenders (and the goalkeeper) on the goalline?

Surely McAllister when the ball was passed to him (i.e. when Hartley trapped the ball) could not have been forward of the goal line???

As soon as we shaped up to do the short corner routine, the defenders on the posts stepped forward a yard to play us offside.

Obviously, they'd done their homework.

Godzilla is as he pointed out on my facebook, right :P

It's about being in front of the ball not the direction of the pass.

http://www.fifa.com/flash/lotg/football/en/flash/start.html

That's the fifa official guide to the offside law. It takes about 10 minutes of your time but comprehensively expalins the rule in it's current form even sections about interfering with play.

I needed to go check it out :P Suggest you do too!

As soon as we shaped up to do the short corner routine, the defenders on the posts stepped forward a yard to play us offside.

Obviously, they'd done their homework.

This annoys me so much. Surely the players taking the corner must look across to see who they can cross to? Why, then, do they not see that the defenders are stood a yard forward of the posts?

When the other teams figure it out, it should stop.

Archived