IGNORED

Gerken Or Basso

Frome Red

He was grimacing after the warm up and holding his groin. GJ asked him if he was OK and he admitted he'd hurt himself warming up.

Boring but true.

Perhaps it is time to cut our losses and go with two fit and hungry keepers who have plenty to prove in Gerkin and Henderson. I'm not being nasty in any way and don't have a real problem with Basso but he is far too injury prone for a good class keeper.

Perhaps it is time to cut our losses and go with two fit and hungry keepers who have plenty to prove in Gerkin and Henderson. I'm not being nasty in any way and don't have a real problem with Basso but he is far too injury prone for a good class keeper.

I'd be happy enough to go along with that as things stand.

Gerken every time.

It was a brilliant sight to see him run out instead of Basso, who as we all know isn't good when a wind blows (Wolves last season)

I can never see what most City fans see in Basso and his mix of theatrical saves and complete cock ups.

Well done Deano yesterday, BRILLIANT.

Ain't it ironic how most of us was on here when Basso handed in the transfer request saying how gutted we was that Gerken would be starting the season as are number 1 keeper ! and now I don't know one fan who would change him as are number 1, I think as long as Gerken is fit we will never see Basso starting again, well done Deano I think we have a real star keeper in the making ! Give him a new contract ;)

Basso is a quality keeper....

Gerken seems to be a quality keeper.

The difference is Dean Gerken is commited to Bristol City for the long term.

Basso is probabaly the better keeper, But deano could with us for a long time, should improve as he is still very young for a keeper.

gerken for me bass wont be around for much longer whereas deano is still pretty young and has many more years ahead of him plus he has been superb for us so far every game he has played in he has pulled off some really crucial saves the save against qpr in the last minute comes to mind and he was unbelievable against noocastle saturday

I think GJ and SL both recognised Basso's motivational qualities in the dressing room. His positive thinking and general character were highly valued hence the great efforts to retain him with what sounds like a more than decent contract proposal. Also being a lovable fans favourite he could sell a few more shirts than most keepers - further enhancing his value and contract terms.

Obviously his goalkeeping skills had to be up to scratch but I am sure his other assets were seen as integral to the promotion push and commercial sales. With the written transfer request it means he can't really offer anymore than his goalkeeping skills although no doubt there would be a forgive and forget approach by players and management alike. Badge kissing speeches would be more embarrassing than inspirational now. By his own actions he has down-graded his commercial value. But back to the question - Deano seems to be as good a shot-stopper as Basso but with superior kicking skills and an ability to hold balls that Adriano sometimes spills. He seems a good strong and likeable character as well which is much more crucial for the goal-keeping spot than any other position.

Perhaps Basso will stay and he would make a great back-up or competition as long as he held no grudges or grievances I am sure he would still be a good player to have around in the squad. I haven't seen enough of Henderson to say whether he would fill the void. From comments in the press about being given a deadline by SL, I wonder if Basso doesn't sign whether he will be offered a deal to pay up the rest of his contract. I doubt if it will come to that as GJ has always said he needs three keepers. Still, I think Bass will be a distant number three if he does not sign. He'd be silly not to sign as being a 34 year old third choice keeper means he would struggle to get a decent contract elsewhere when his current one expires. I think his faith means he tends to think in terms of destiny rather than take a more pragmatic approach. I have no problem with that but he should also have recognised that maybe he just show more loyalty to Bristol City and GJ who have given him a great opportunity to emerge from the non-league so late in his career.

Archived