IGNORED

Read This.

dargla

I found this on the web from some Newcastle Journo, on reading it, I was finding myself getting angry at such poor journalism.

Yes as some words are true but the way he describes things is shocking.

Oct 5 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

IT was one of Sir Bobby Robson's disciples in Jose Mourinho who made his own contribution to football's cliched tapestry when he talked about away teams parking the bus in front of the goal.

Well, Bristol City set out to do that from the word go at St James’s Park and succeeded through a combination of grittiness, good fortune and a stand-in goalkeeper in the shape of Dean Gerken.

So far there have been two different types of teams who have visited St James’s Park this season.

First, there are those who crumble under the pressure of a big day out at one of the best football stadiums in the world.

Then there are those that see it as an opportunity to make a name for themselves and take their chance under the spotlight.

Bristol City will go under the latter of the two categories – albeit extremely fortunately.

In a game full of incident but lacking the lifeblood of football – goals – Newcastle rattled the woodwork three times throughout the game, were denied on a host of occasions by former Darlington keeper Gerken – only playing because regular stopper Adriano Basso was injured in the warm-up – and robbed of a stonewall penalty when former S****horpe reserve Jamie McCombe wiped out Marlon Harewood at Gallowgate.

Pockets of boos at the end of the match were probably harsh on manager of the month Chris Hughton’s side and after the game every Toon player could justifiably look round and wonder just how they hadn’t managed to take all three points from this one.

But St James’s Park this season is made for players like Gerken.

The little known ex-Colchester United and Darlo man probably couldn’t have dreamed what would happen to him on Saturday.

When he woke up in the team’s city hotel he thought he would be taking in the glamorous surroundings of St James’s and enjoying the comfort of what is not your average dug out in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Instead he turned out to be City’s hero with a series of superb blocks that earned his side a point and memories they will never forget.

Gerken had already survived when Marlon Harewood crashed one off the post on eight minutes with the reserve team goalkeeper rolling round on the floor looking for mercy.

A first-half onslaught followed, and when the two sides went in at the break it seemed only a matter of time until Bristol surrendered and the floodgates opened.

The rainbow that provided the backdrop over St James’s Park on Saturday appropriately had Gerken standing right at the bottom of it at Gallowgate by the end.

And he deserved all of his plaudits after keeping out Danny Guthrie from point blank range and somehow managing to recover to keep out Kevin Nolan in the same attacking manoeuvre on the hour mark after Ryan Taylor had whipped in a testing right-wing cross.

And when skill deserted Gerken, he was backed up by unbelievable good luck with 20 minutes to go.

Marlon Harewood put in a fine centre and Steven Taylor, on a forward run, crashed an effort against the crossbar.

The formality appeared to be coming seconds later when Kevin Nolan followed up, but he could only repeat his team-mates exploits and follow suit before Peter Lovenkrands struck a shot inches wide in a moment of sheer panic for City.

At that stage you just started to get the feeling that this wasn’t going to be Newcastle’s day.

And judging by City boss Gary Johnson’s body language in the technical area, even he had begun to believe his side could scrape through.

With his portly figure, Johnson looks more like a Sunday League manager but it was pub team refereeing that proved to be the saviour for the Robins when Graham Salisbury failed to give Newcastle a nailed-on penalty with 16 minutes left.

McCombe had only been introduced as a half-time substitute for the visitors but made sure he made his mark on the game for unspectacular reasons.

The 6ft 5in defender desperately slid in as the game neared a conclusion and upended Harewood for what looked like a cast iron spot-kick but Salisbury waved away protests.

On his way out of St James’s, McCombe looked sheepish, but must have unloaded a major sigh of relief the moment he sat down on the team bus.

By the end, United had four forwards on the field in Lovenkrands, Carroll, Nile Ranger and Harewood, but none of them could find their goal-den touch. Whether Newcastle’s luck deserts them in such fashion again at St James’s Park remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure though, they have a fortnight to stew on it before two away trips to Nottingham Forest and S****horpe United where their league leadership is certain to be put through a major examination.

Laughable reporting, mixing hyperbole with pig ignorance....

The patronising descriptions of Gerken and GJ are particularly risible and betray the reporter's lack of knowledge of the individuals he is writing about.

You would think the gulf between City and Newcastle was 5-6 divisions and we were some Blue Square South outfit heading into Old Trafford for a 3rd round cup tie, but nope. Just checked the league table and we are a whole seven places behind NUFC.

This bloke clearly suffers from the same delusion NUFC fans have been suffering from for years...

Well_red

Laughable reporting, mixing hyperbole with pig ignorance....

The patronising descriptions of Gerken and GJ are particularly risible and betray the reporter's lack of knowledge of the individuals he is writing about.

You would think the gulf between City and Newcastle was 5-6 divisions and we were some Blue Square South outfit heading into Old Trafford for a 3rd round cup tie, but nope. Just checked the league table and we are a whole seven places behind NUFC.

This bloke clearly suffers from the same delusion NUFC fans have been suffering from for years...

Well_red

What would be interesting would be to see his reports from the other home league fixtures this season. It might reveal his total lack of knowledge across the board or just a dislike for a backwater club with a portly manager.

PDG

It contains facts, but it's written in an incredibly condescending way. Frustration perhaps that they had the chances but didn't take them. Don't take it out on us me old love.

The opening gambit about us parking a bus in front of goal is utter bollocks though, unless it was a Tonka Toy bus considering how many times they got in behind us. I also thought we had a go at them but didn't create any chances. I don't think we went there for a point that's for sure.

The man's trying to flog papers........in Newcastle, good luck to him! Its inevitable he'll give whoever it is that week a good helping of beat down so as to make the geordies feel good about something, they've got **** all to smile about (apart from Cheryl Cole on a saturday night)!

A quote in a football book I have is; "It's a Rotherham paper, for Rotherham fellers, so bugger impartiality".

In truth that's exactly what you expect a provincial report on a match between the local side and someone from elsewhere to look like.

It is our lot however to put up with the fact that the "Bristol" Evening Post is written by Cockneys, Brummies and the like without a trace of feeling for, appreciation, or knowledge of the history of the club that they are paid to report upon.

It contains facts, but it's written in an incredibly condescending way. Frustration perhaps that they had the chances but didn't take them. Don't take it out on us me old love.

The opening gambit about us parking a bus in front of goal is utter bollocks though, unless it was a Tonka Toy bus considering how many times they got in behind us. I also thought we had a go at them but didn't create any chances. I don't think we went there for a point that's for sure.

Condescending is exactly the word!

First, there are those who crumble under the pressure of a big day out at one of the best football stadiums in the world.

Then there are those that see it as an opportunity to make a name for themselves and take their chance under the spotlight.

I assume there is a tongue in a geordie cheek here somewhere?

Just because 40,000 fat blokes turn up every week they seem to think it automatically entitles them to win every game.

Particularly annoying was the paragraph:

And when skill deserted Gerken, he was backed up by unbelievable good luck with 20 minutes to go.

Marlon Harewood put in a fine centre and Steven Taylor, on a forward run, crashed an effort against the crossbar.

The formality appeared to be coming seconds later when Kevin Nolan followed up, but he could only repeat his team-mates exploits and follow suit before Peter Lovenkrands struck a shot inches wide in a moment of sheer panic for City.

So in that passage of play they had 3 efforts on goal and 3 different players all managed to miss the target.

That sounds like poor shooting to me. Not "luck"

No wonder the Geordies are so up themselves being fed this stuff by their local rag.

CR

A quote in a football book I have is; "It's a Rotherham paper, for Rotherham fellers, so bugger impartiality".

In truth that's exactly what you expect a provincial report on a match between the local side and someone from elsewhere to look like.

It is our lot however to put up with the fact that the "Bristol" Evening Post is written by Cockneys, Brummies and the like without a trace of feeling for, appreciation, or knowledge of the history of the club that they are paid to report upon.

Yep, this sums it up for me in a nutshell Sipowicz. Those fella's won't get the same knot in the stomach when we lose, that feeling of nausea when the shit is hitting the fan in a rather large way (1982, 98'-99' - I could go on), the disappointment of a crap performance, I still get it after 50 years of supporting City and I cannot see that ever changing.

Just a game of football? Not if you were 'born into this club' of ours and BCFC is a big part of your life it ain't.

While I admit it does bother me what some of the media hacks in this country say about us, I take it with a pinch of salt. Most of them haven't got the slightest clue about us so they just manipulate the facts to suit their agendas.

What I don't like is that these morons have the power to influence other people's judgements of us, I'm a great believer that you should only judge things on your own experience of them - not on how others think you should feel about them.

This bloke is just writing what the Geordies want to hear in order to sell papers, I'd expect nothing less.

I quite like it on the basis it would be bloody brilliant for one the journalists writing in Bristol papers to be as overly biased and supportive of us! All we get is either boring (when we win) or trash seen through blue glasses (when we lose/ gasheads get arrested). I personally would enjoy picking up the EP one day to be greeted with a report condescending the opposition and praising everything about City!

Would make a change anyways.. :innocent06:

The only gripe i have with that, is the comment about johnson being a sunday league manager....

the rest was spot on.

Well no City fan would ever say that Johnson is a lower class manager than he actually is, would they ...... ?

cough conference manager cough

The general meat of the piece is accurate, the decoration is nothing less than you`d expect from a local journo.

PDG

Precisely

So he patronizes us...Its annoying, but does it really matter.

The writer obviously believes that Newcastle will win the league and hey they probably will, its a matter of how they will deal with the jitters when the bad run of form that will surely come sets in...I hope personally they deal with it as well as Charlton, Leeds, Southampton, Notss Forest, Norwich and any other club that was to good/great to be playing in the league they are in...

It's nothing new. Think back to 1974 - 75 when City did the double over Man U. At OT, Garland scored the only goal in the 94th minute and afterwards the TV commentator asked Alan D, "How can you explain and justify this daylight robbery"?

Who was that commentator?

It's nothing new. Think back to 1974 - 75 when City did the double over Man U. At OT, Garland scored the only goal in the 94th minute and afterwards the TV commentator asked Alan D, "How can you explain and justify this daylight robbery"?

Who was that commentator?

Gerald Sinstadt, but the scorer was Donnie Gillies....

For me it sums up this division this season. There are no other teams than Newcastle. TV and Newspapers are infatuated that Newcastle are not in the Premier League and it's Newcastle Newcastle Newcastle and in my opinion, I'm bored of it.

They are are in the Championship because they were not good enough for the Premier League and as all decent managers will tell you, they ain't one anything yet.

So to all the journalist out there, you keep bigging up the 'Toon army', other people live in the real world like 'little Bristol' and lets see if Newcastle have it to get back in the Prem.

MM

Gerald Sinstadt, but the scorer was Donnie Gillies....

Quite right Sipowicz...

How many of us new that without looking it up.

I will never forget Sinstadts post match summary, it went something like Bristol City came to OT to spoil and time waste and it was them that gained the advantage from all that time wasting when Gillies scored in the 94th minute....

Happy Days

Archived