IGNORED

City V Plymuff Match Thread

westonred

Just wondering the Saborio change up at 30mins with Carey coming on? Was there a good reason for this, would Clarkson have been better. It seemed that we must have changed our formation?

Saborio had just had treatment but was coming back on - maybe the Velicka thing played on GJ's mind because it was his knee and looked bad to start with.

Bringing Carey on made a big difference, Plymouth had been getting a grip on the game and we were a bit shakey - but with Carey we started to look more organised and fluid. Sno pushed forward on instruction ahead of Hartley who started running the game and Skuse did the leg work. It was reasonable at this point without us creating too much and still struggling to use the left side.

Sno looked tired and it was no surprise to see him come off, though it was a surprise I thought to see Williams and Sproule on - I was expecting Clarkson to play in the hole. We switched to 442 with Williams on the left and that opened the game right up and we scored. When Plymouth equalised the crowd got behind the team having been enthused by the pacey counter attacking and we got a couple more.

It was a good result.

Well done exiles, all those who couldn't be there or decided against it, a 5 page match thread to come home to adds to the evening's entertainment after a very satisfactory victory at the Gate. :winner_third_h4h:

Great to see a few goals at last, what a difference that makes. :yes:

Didn't see any mention on the thread but Plymouth's goal should never have been allowed - definite handball. :disapointed2se:

The 30 mins of 4-3-3 was poor, but as soon as we changed to 3-5-2 we looked much better. We then seemed to play with even greater fluidity after changing to 4-4-2. I thought Louis coming on made a big diference. Maynard also seems to benefit from playing alongside Haynes. Cole Skuse seems to of come of age.....at last.

Great squad performance tonight after a shaky start. Well done lads!

:englandsmile4wf:

• Admin
Had a quid on city to win 2-1 with haynes scoring first at 30-1, cheers maynard :laugh: .

Rather the 3 points though we want 4!! :city:

Put my money where my mouth was and bet £20 on the City winning by 2 or more goals :D

Just wondering the Saborio change up at 30mins with Carey coming on? Was there a good reason for this, would Clarkson have been better. It seemed that we must have changed our formation?

The 433 wasn't working as Plymouth pushed their wingers up which was pinning back Orr & Macca and were stretching us quite badly.

Carey coming on for Saborio meant a switch to 352 (3412) which had the benefit of having an extra centre-back covering for the two full backs and allowed them to push further up together with our front two being the pacey Maynard & Haynes. Plymouth's defence then had to sit further back and it allowed us to control the rest of the half.

We were doing ok in the second half, probably shading it but things had just started to go a little stale (I commented to a mate that this had the feel of a "we could play all night..." kind of game) when Johnson threw on Sproule & Williams for yet another switch of formation to 442 & we reaped the dividends.

Was quite amusing after we took the lead to hear the stands all chanting "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!" as if to remind the players that we're not very good at sitting on leads.....only to concede straight away upon doing this. The next chant was "DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND!!!" :D

Archived