IGNORED

Let's Be Honest. Overall, Last Night Was Still Poor

And Its Smith

Why is everyone happy at last night's performance? For most of the game it was appalling. Yes, we got it right in the end and fair play to Johnson for changing things but lets not get carried away. Plymouth were terrible and if they would've attacked more they may well of won the game, the same that Posh deserved to on Saturday.

Johnson defends himself by telling us to look at the league table. Ok, we are in a good position but more often than not this season we have been pedestrian, disjointed and boring. Without Maynard we would be in the bottom half. It goes to show how poor this division is - I'd be surprised if anyone can honestly say we are where we deserve to be.

Last night has temporarily papered over the cracks and I am sure the same old moans and groans will come out in the next few weeks. We've got far too many players that arent up to the standard that is required for upper end Championship football. Look at distribution. McAllister, Orr, McCombe, Sproule, Johnson - there passing and/or control is not good enough. Saborio and Sno arent consistent and at the moment it seems that Gerkin, Carey, Hartley, Skuse and Maynard are carrying everyone else.

We'll see where we are at Xmas. I hope its top 8 but if it is there is a big chance it will be because the general standard of the Championship isnt great.

Why is everyone happy at last night's performance? For most of the game it was appalling. Yes, we got it right in the end and fair play to Johnson for changing things but lets not get carried away. Plymouth were terrible and if they would've attacked more they may well of won the game, the same that Posh deserved to on Saturday.

Johnson defends himself by telling us to look at the league table. Ok, we are in a good position but more often than not this season we have been pedestrian, disjointed and boring. Without Maynard we would be in the bottom half. It goes to show how poor this division is - I'd be surprised if anyone can honestly say we are where we deserve to be.

Last night has temporarily papered over the cracks and I am sure the same old moans and groans will come out in the next few weeks. We've got far too many players that arent up to the standard that is required for upper end Championship football. Look at distribution. McAllister, Orr, McCombe, Sproule, Johnson - there passing and/or control is not good enough. Saborio and Sno arent consistent and at the moment it seems that Gerkin, Carey, Hartley, Skuse and Maynard are carrying everyone else.

We'll see where we are at Xmas. I hope its top 8 but if it is there is a big chance it will be because the general standard of the Championship isnt great.

RD, The razor blades are in the post, although there maybe some delay due to those troublesome mail people, but hang on in there.

Fans do tend to overact to both poor and good results and last was an example of some pointing to the 3 points and going away satisfied.

Truth is it was dross for over an hour against - it has to be said a very poor Argyle outfit - but the difference between last night and Saturday was the fact that Johnson had made changes to the line up and changed formation when it was obvious to all that 'Plan A' wasn't working. He even changed it again when 'Plan B' didn't work either. Eventually 'Plan C' did the trick.

It would have been interesting to see what Johnson would have done last night had City been 1-0 up with 20mins go. I reckon he might have done the same as he did against Scunny and Posh - bring on a defender and try to hang on. Luckily for City Argyle equalised within two mins of City taking the lead which ment that there was no time for City to resort to the usual defensive tactics. Their goal forced City to stay on the offensive and because of that we ended up geting 15 mins of cracking entertainment

How can you say Peterboro deserved to win saturday ??

Anyway, I'm happy because we scored three excellent goals and made numerous other chances. Haynes & Maynard up front, when they finally decided not to run the same channel, looked really exciting and Paul Hartley gave an inspired performance also.

Much to look forward to I reckon.

How can you say Peterboro deserved to win saturday ??

Anyway, I'm happy because we scored three excellent goals and made numerous other chances. Haynes & Maynard up front, when they finally decided not to run the same channel, looked really exciting and Paul Hartley gave an inspired performance also.

Much to look forward to I reckon.

I wasn't there and you were but I cannot help thinking that Paul Hartley is head and shoulders above our other midfield players in terms of both seeing and playing a good, forward pass. Nicky Maynard seems to be twice the player when Hartley is in the side and we seem to create more chances when he is around.

:city: It's a joke saying that the Championship is not very strong.

This must be the most competitive division in the world,we have great players and teams on very large budgets.

Just look how many players from the Championship are away on each international weekend.

It is also very competitive,just look at us 9th but only 3 points from top.

I would rather be in the championship that the predictable Premier League.

Because they were better than us! They had more shots and looked better going forward.

The deserved at least a point and probably deserved to win more than us but they weren't miles better.

I do agree that the first hour was very poor and that despite the good play in the last 25, we still need to improve to have a chance of the play-offs. Especially away where we are the only team in the top half not to have done so yet.

The good news though is that we are only 3 points off the top and thats with no wingers.

I wasn't there and you were but I cannot help thinking that Paul Hartley is head and shoulders above our other midfield players in terms of both seeing and playing a good, forward pass. Nicky Maynard seems to be twice the player when Hartley is in the side and we seem to create more chances when he is around.

Shame you missed it :innocent06:

Yes, Hartley was very good and he did seem to play in the front two quite a bit. We're lucky to be blessed with such a strong midfield sextet, should come in handy as the season progresses.

Because they were better than us! They had more shots and looked better going forward.

How does having 10 shots off target compared to our 2 make them better than us? It just proves that they can't hit a cow in the ass with a banjo.

We took 12 shots and got 2 off target, they took 17 and got 10 off target, so that's 83% accuracy compared with 41% for Peterborough.

Personally I'd use possession and shots on target as the key indicators, both of which we dominated.

For Christ's sake we're 3 points off the top of the table in the most competitive league in the country. Crack a smile.

The deserved at least a point and probably deserved to win more than us but they weren't miles better.

I do agree that the first hour was very poor and that despite the good play in the last 25, we still need to improve to have a chance of the play-offs. Especially away where we are the only team in the top half not to have done so yet.

The good news though is that we are only 3 points off the top and thats with no wingers.

Just one to throw out there - if we had a couple of tasty wide players to go with our endless combinations and permutations we have in central areas would this League be there for the taking?

No but it would make us more versatile and means we have a better chance of top 6 I would say.

I would be inclined to agree with you although the way the league is shaping up it is screaming out for one team to take the bull by the horns and go on a 15-20 match unbeaten run and effectively walk the division. Our problem in terms of top 6 aspirations is that we need to find a way of picking up wins away from home.

I would be inclined to agree with you although the way the league is shaping up it is screaming out for one team to take the bull by the horns and go on a 15-20 match unbeaten run and effectively walk the division. Our problem in terms of top 6 aspirations is that we need to find a way of picking up wins away from home.

Our away form is awful.

I've been to most away games- and we just don't dominate or create enough decent chances to have a chance. Even at Preston when we did that we failed. Luckily we haven't lost many because of a combination of the other team's shooting, which been awful (Newcastle and Swansea), and some valiant defending. But to stand a chance we will need to win the every now and again.

Last season it was the reverse- we were good away and bad at home. We would be laughing if we could do both...

You could do. But it would make you very predictable. If the opposition knew you were going to send the ball out to your one winger alot, they would stop it quickly.

Of course you have to find that balance, but I just feel that by going a bit more attacking- like we did in the final 25 minutes, it means the opposition can't come at that much. How many chances, apart from their very well taken goal, did Plymouth have 2nd half?

you could have someone who is prepared to float in to the hole on the other side, or a over lapping full back maybe.

here's a question, would you start with Williams Saturday?

I can't believe the negativity on here.

OK home form has not been great but unbeaten!

9th place but only 3 pts from top!

Better quality football tha we have seen for a very long time! (don't compare to recent promotion seasons as they were in lower leagues)

More international players than before!

Anybody who attended on Tuesday could not complain about the effort and attacking format before and after th substitutions.

What's to moan about?

It would have been interesting to see what Johnson would have done last night had City been 1-0 up with 20mins go. I reckon he might have done the same as he did against Scunny and Posh - bring on a defender and try to hang on.

I'd love to know how he would have done that, given that he had used all three substitutes already!

Look at distribution. McAllister, Orr, McCombe, Sproule, Johnson

You mean the players that provided the assisits to all three goals?? McAllister crossing for the first two (for once we scored off crosses) and Bradley played in a great ball for Maynard. Seems strange to criticise after that but each to their own.....

Better quality football tha we have seen for a very long time! (don't compare to recent promotion seasons as they were in lower leagues)

What's to moan about?

I take it from those comments that, a) you've yet to get down to AG this season. b) you haven't read many of the posts on here complaining about Johnson dreary and cautious tactics.

I take it from those comments that, a) you've yet to get down to AG this season. b) you haven't read many of the posts on here complaining about Johnson dreary and cautious tactics.

Unfortumately I have read most of the posts on here, which is why I felt the need to enter my opinion and try to get some realism into the thread.

I have been to every home game but no away games yet which is why I kept my opinion to home games.

My mistake, I didn't realise only negative comments were allowed - I'll try harder next time (if I can be bothered).

You mean the players that provided the assisits to all three goals?? McAllister crossing for the first two (for once we scored off crosses) and Bradley played in a great ball for Maynard. Seems strange to criticise after that but each to their own.....

Like most people on here you seem to look at this one game at a time. Look at it over the whole season so far, not just one game.

Sheesh!

Unfortumately I have read most of the posts on here, which is why I felt the need to enter my opinion and try to get some realism into the thread.

I have been to every home game but no away games yet which is why I kept my opinion to home games.

My mistake, I didn't realise only negative comments were allowed - I'll try harder next time (if I can be bothered).

Keep posting mate....we need a few more balanced posters on here. Oh and by the way Robored is quite good at making some profound statements....only for them to turn around and bite him on the ass!

League positions rarely lie.........

:innocent06:

Everyone has a right to an opinion but the tone of this thread is all wrong.

Typical Brits really... usually found on a street corner near you moaning, whinging, knocking someone or something when they are up to hopefully bring them down. Glad i live overseas frankly; only wish i was not having to come back and spend prolonged periods so much; get off the plane and all i see is people who have a big frown. After a few days i find the edge of my lips heading south as well, then i know its time to get moving.

Maybe you whingers should do something else for a change instead of getting bogged down in news on the telly or newspapers that just makes you so negative about the most minutae of anything and everything.

Do someone a good turn today.. that will or should put a smile back on your face even if its only helping an elderly person cross a road or carry their shopping or looking out for them or just saying hello and smiling. Works a treat for me everytime.

As for Gary J?.... he takes some stick doesn't he?.... why?... i simply have no idea whatsoever. the way he is going he deserves the freedom of the city.

It would have been interesting to see what Johnson would have done last night had City been 1-0 up with 20mins go. I reckon he might have done the same as he did against Scunny and Posh - bring on a defender and try to hang on.

Absolute rubbish!

Against S****horpe:

Skuse came on for Hartley, and Sproule came on for Saborio.

Against Peterbro':

Haynes came on for Saborio, Williams for Skuse, and Hartley for Sno.

Which of those five subs are defenders?

Why let the facts get in the way of your criticism!

Archived