IGNORED

Sextone Stepping Over The Line

leepeacock's50phead

Well, its a quote.

George Ferguson will be opposing the plans for a sainsbury at Ashton Gate

in favour of his own plan for housing on someone elses land.

He opposes the suggestion of a plan for an arena at Ashton Vale

In favour of his own plan for an arena at Temple Meads.

You say he has helped regenerate North St, was this at the expense of Wedlocks pub and the Ship and castle

which were in competition with his giant shed of a bar at the Tobacco Factory?

As I have written recently in the evening post, he has a different set of values for each cause he is fighting.

In the case of BCFC he is not supporting the club, he is supporting only his opinions and his personal plans.

I dont know if the comments are correct or what was meant by them. But I would imagine, that Colin Sextone must get pretty hacked off at times trying to bring our club's facilities into the 21st century and IF he has let off a bit of steam in frustration, well I can understand it. You only have to look at some of the daft comments on the Evening posts web site tonight in reply to article about the cost of the stadium. Nobody should resent decent debate but alot of the comments are just outrightly negitve and ill-informed at best.

Bristol is a wondeful City, but it comes down to wanting to move forward and unfortuantely some folk just dont like it...irespective of how its presented. Make no mistake without the considerable private investment this project would not have got as far as it has done and Colin Sextone and others take a great deal of plaudits for that...but the strain must be hard at times when you are figting ever step of the way...critiscim is one thing but so much of it is negitve and offers no plausiable alternative.

This City and certianly our football club needs some foward thinking...I'd hate to imagine good old Brunel trying to get through his ideas in todays back drop...but then again he did die young..perhaps the inertia of the West Country got to him as well. Its alright to argue, debate and critise but if these opponents to this fantastic scheme have nothing else to offer in its place then quite frankly im not interested. I would have thought all those that went to the planning meeting would know what I mean.

Bristol deserves better.

You say he has helped regenerate North St, was this at the expense of Wedlocks pub and the Ship and castle

As I have written recently in the evening post, he has a different set of values for each cause he is fighting.

In the case of BCFC he is not supporting the club, he is supporting only his opinions and his personal plans.

Fair point, but it also makes me ask the question if Sextone has 'a different set of values for each cause he is fighting' or has he just got a general dislike of those who sponsor the club if they don't tow the line?

Oh and Wedlocks and the Ship and Castle didn't really come into the North Street catchment as I'm sure you are aware.

I dont know if the comments are correct or what was meant by them. But I would imagine, that Colin Sextone must get pretty hacked off at times trying to bring our club's facilities into the 21st century and IF he has let off a bit of steam in frustration, well I can understand it. You only have to look at some of the daft comments on the Evening posts web site tonight in reply to article about the cost of the stadium. Nobody should resent decent debate but alot of the comments are just outrightly negitve and ill-informed at best.

Bristol is a wondeful City, but it comes down to wanting to move forward and unfortuantely some folk just dont like it...irespective of how its presented. Make no mistake without the considerable private investment this project would not have got as far as it has done and Colin Sextone and others take a great deal of plaudits for that...but the strain must be hard at times when you are figting ever step of the way...critiscim is one thing but so much of it is negitve and offers no plausiable alternative.

This City and certianly our football club needs some foward thinking...I'd hate to imagine good old Brunel trying to get through his ideas in todays back drop...but then again he did die young..perhaps the inertia of the West Country got to him as well. Its alright to argue, debate and critise but if these opponents to this fantastic scheme have nothing else to offer in its place then quite frankly im not interested. I would have thought all those that went to the planning meeting would know what I mean.

Bristol deserves better.

Brunel was paid to build a bridge for the public, Sextone is paid to sell you and I the idea that Bristol City need a 30,000 seater stadium now, which our fanbase suggests we don't

This is a corporate decision and mentioning a true pioneer like Brunel in the same breath as the new stadium is frankly embarrassing.

Fair point, but it also makes me ask the question if Sextone has 'a different set of values for each cause he is fighting' or has he just got a general dislike of those who sponsor the club if they don't tow the line?

Oh and Wedlocks and the Ship and Castle didn't really come into the North Street catchment as I'm sure you are aware.

As I've said above you have to take Sextone comments in the context of that he and the board have had to fight tooth and nail to get this far and we are not there yet...there is a lot of opposition to this and quite a lot of is not reasoned and as others have posted are from those with there own agendas. If there was any rationale behine the whole debate I would have thought the prospect of regeneration, the creation of many jobs and income to the South of Bristol would win.

I dont want to speak out agaginst anyone who has improved the area but this is a big project with big benifits.

Sorry to dissagree but both pubs would definately be under pressure from the new establishment in North St.

As for not in the catchment area they are both within half a mile, how far would you go to a pub?

I think when you said catchment area, you might have meant catchment area of Southville people.

Brunel was paid to build a bridge for the public, Sextone is paid to sell you and I the idea that Bristol City need a 30,000 seater stadium now, which our fanbase suggests we don't

This is a corporate decision and mentioning a true pioneer like Brunel in the same breath as the new stadium is frankly embarrassing.

If you think that what Brunel did for Bristol was not driven by corporate consderation then you ought to be emabarassed. The GWR for instance was built to make sure Bristol at the time the second City was linked to the capital and maintained its status in the commercial ecomomy in the country.

As for attendances what are you basing that on, if you go back 10 years we had a far lower average attendance and many fewer season ticket holders. Cardiff had an avergae not much different from ours this year they mostly sell out the home allocation of their new stadium.

Sexstone is dead right, Ferguson is self interested above all else and there's plenty of public domain information to support that.

Ferguson has built himself a moral soap box on the back of a couple of good developments that made him a lot of money and abuses it constantly for his own ends.

The only reason he is interested is he smells an opportunity to make money, he should **** off and concentrate on what will happen to the old Sainsbury's site but he's not interested because it isn't near the trendy end.

Sexstone is open and honest about his motives. Ferguson is far from the same.

Sorry to dissagree but both pubs would definately be under pressure from the new establishment in North St.

As for not in the catchment area they are both within half a mile, how far would you go to a pub?

I think when you said catchment area, you might have meant catchment area of Southville people.

Well I barely went further than the lounge/hen and chicken to be honest.

The point I was making is that I don't think the Tab Fac really stopped people walking an extra 1/2 mile to either the wedlocks or the Ship and Castle and they weren't really part of the North Street scene.

Likewise I don't think any of the pubs on East Street or the Luckwell rely on 'North St drinkers' but most of them are still there.

Sexstone is dead right, Ferguson is self interested above all else and there's plenty of public domain information to support that.

Ferguson has built himself a moral soap box on the back of a couple of good developments that made him a lot of money and abuses it constantly for his own ends.

The only reason he is interested is he smells an opportunity to make money, he should **** off and concentrate on what will happen to the old Sainsbury's site but he's not interested because it isn't near the trendy end.

Sexstone is open and honest about his motives. Ferguson is far from the same.

He is living in dream world if he thinks any part of bemmy or southville is trendy.

I have met George several times. I like him and I think he is very clever as well as great fun. But he is a businessman and politician before he is a City fan. He is in property and the pub trade, both of which are struggling a great deal (the sectors, I don't know about his businesses). Also there is likely to be an elected mayor in Bristol in the next few years (if the tories get in) and I wonder who might,allegedly, be using this high profile and very contentious construction project to build a personal PR profile?

In my opinion Colin S is spot on, however I am guessing he may well have been misquoted.

If you dont think that what Brunel did for Bristol was not driven by corporate consderation then you ought to be emabarassed. The GWR for instance was built to make sure Bristol at the time the second City was linked to the capital and maintained its status in the commercial ecomomy in the country.

As for attendances what are you basing that on, if you go back 10 years we had a far lower average attendance and many fewer season ticket holders. Cardiff had an avergae not much different from ours this year they mostly sell out the home allocation of their new stadium.

I think you may be a little confused, Brunel pushed boundaries as a designer, regardless of where the funding came from.

Sextone is paid to convince you that you need a new stadium.

As for the attendances, I remember from the 80's onwards that there was an assumption that if we got high enough, the potential fanbase was here.

Pushing for promotion to the premier the other season showed us that the interest isn't really that high compared to other big city clubs.

I have met George several times. I like him and I think he is very clever as well as great fun. But he is a businessman and politician before he is a City fan. He is in property and the pub trade, both of which are struggling a great deal (the sectors, I don't know about his businesses). Also there is likely to be an elected mayor in Bristol in the next few years (if the tories get in) and I wonder who might,allegedly, be using this high profile and very contentious construction project to build a personal PR profile?

In my opinion Colin S is spot on, however I am guessing he may well have been misquoted.

he was not misquoted those were his words

Shows how much you know then. Southville and North Street are must live places for the lefty elite and other lentil eating factions.

The price of a 3 bed terrace in said areas has reached laughable levels.

I can only assume you are a columnist for the Daily Mail?

There are no major left wing parties left in the country and quite what 'lentil eating factions' are is anyones guess

Have you been on North St recently? It is jam packed full of wine bars and cafes trying to be trendy and catering to tree hugging vegan eco warrior lefties.
Exactly trying, There is a difference between trying to be trendy and actully being trendy. To me it's just mutton dressed as lamb and people have fallen for Fergusons spin.

Well I barely went further than the lounge/hen and chicken to be honest.

The point I was making is that I don't think the Tab Fac really stopped people walking an extra 1/2 mile to either the wedlocks or the Ship and Castle and they weren't really part of the North Street scene.

Likewise I don't think any of the pubs on East Street or the Luckwell rely on 'North St drinkers' but most of them are still there.

I think you will find that there is a new social centre based around North St and the pubs on the periphery have all come under threat from it.

Several pubs in East St have closed, the Plough (winterstoke rd) and as I've said the Ship and Castle and Wedlocks.

Many more have closed and reopened or are suffering a downturn in trade for many other reasons as well.

When you mention the "North St Scene" I think you have got it in one, there was no north st scene until his giant bar opened and without doubt took trade from elsewhere.

I think you may be a little confused, Brunel pushed boundaries as a designer, regardless of where the funding came from.

Sextone is paid to convince you that you need a new stadium.

As for the attendances, I remember from the 80's onwards that there was an assumption that if we got high enough, the potential fanbase was here.

Pushing for promotion to the premier the other season showed us that the interest isn't really that high compared to other big city clubs.

I not confused (thanks for the patronsing comment though). His ability to push the boundries was based on the ability to sell his vision to a commercial market, that is fact and do you think his living memorials would have come to pass without this funding? Seems to me you consider Brunel to be a 19th century Banksy....not really the reality I'm afraid.

As for fan base thats your opinion and is based on 80s logic...Sky TV has changed football, not necessarily for the better...the whole match day fan cross section has changed, families, more women come to football. The market has expanded. City support might not be as die hard in terms of large numbers but I think there is evidence enough that given the right level of opposition the fan base certainly is there.

Your example of the other season was based on the existing faciltity, had we had a bigger ground I am pretty certian the attendances would have reflected that. I can only assume that you are not happy for City to be competing at the top end of the Championship and therfore should be cutting its cloth accordlingly, becuase the current set up as we all know and Steve Lansdown reiterated last night is a loss making model and needs to be changed.

I not confused (thanks for the patronsing comment though). His ability to push the boundries was based on the ability to sell his vision to a commercial market, that is fact and do you think his living memorials would have come to pass without this funding? Seems to me you consider Brunel to be a 19th century Banksy....not really the reality I'm afraid.

As for fan base thats your opinion and is based on 80s logic...Sky TV has changed football, not necessarily for the better...the whole match day fan cross section has changed, families, more women come to football. The market has expanded. City support might not be as die hard in terms of large numbers but I think there is evidence enough that given the right level of opposition the fan base certainly is there.

Your example of the other season was based on the existing faciltity, had we had a bigger ground I am pretty certian the attendances would have reflected that.

We went joint top on the 26th Jan in front of just under 15,500 fans.

If George Ferguson can come up with 20m+ to buy AG then he has an arguement, if he can't he should STFU. Simple.

I used to dislike Colin Sextone, thought he was just using BCFC to bolster his ego but I think I am wrong now and he does care about our club.

Fair play to the bloke if he gave someone stick for putting the boot into years of hardwork, then I would back him all the way.

BCAGFC

Archived