IGNORED

Sextone Stepping Over The Line

leepeacock's50phead

We went joint top on the 26th Jan in front of just under 15,500 fans.

Not bad for a ground that can only hold 19K for a football match. You clearly oppose the plans, that your right . I think the new ground shows great foresight and will helps the club develope its fan base further and the club to be more viable fianacialy.

I know that there are many that will quite happily watch City at what ever level and thats fine, but there are equally, no I would suggest more that show an interest in the club when they are succesfull. That might not sit with the die hards (and yes I've watched City at all levels) but if the club is to develope it is a must. The alternative is to continue an existance like the nomads from accross the river, not an attractive propsect...for me at least.

We went joint top on the 26th Jan in front of just under 15,500 fans.

You really don't know much about football crowds or our clubs history if you think we are limited to crowds as you portray them.

Speculate to accumulate and tap the great source of potential supporters in Bristol and the region, please open your blinkered eyes to what could be achieved with our club.

You really don't know much about football crowds or our clubs history if you think we are limited to crowds as you portray them.

Speculate to accumulate and tap the great source of potential supporters in Bristol and the region, please open your blinkered eyes to what could be achieved with our club.

The point I was making was that we have had a 'great source of potential supporters in Bristol and the region' for years but it has not really materialised.

The point I was making was that we have had a 'great source of potential supporters in Bristol and the region' for years but it has not really materialised.

Hmmm........i guess i must have had more to drink than i can remember at the time......you know.....Millenium..Wembley....could have sworn that the potential fanbase showed their faces on those occasions...oh well...back to the bottle i guess.

PDG

Hmmm........i guess i must have had more to drink than i can remember at the time......you know.....Millenium..Wembley....could have sworn that the potential fanbase showed their faces on those occasions...oh well...back to the bottle i guess.

PDG

funny how the potential fanbase show there faces on those occasions but never get down the ground isn't it.

Lets not be nieve, people wanted to visit the stadium, these were not fans who are locked out every week.

funny how the potential fanbase show there faces on those occasions but never get down the ground isn't it.

Lets not be nieve, people wanted to visit the stadium, these were not fans who are locked out every week.

TBH...your coming across as a bit of an arrogant overbearing *****.

There`s nothing to be naive about, if you have some understanding of the way our attendances ebb and flow you would know that when we are successful our attendances always rise towards the end of the season.....pretty sure the 26th Jan is still some way away from that. It`s therefore fair enough to assume that if we can achieve prolonged success, a season or 2 in the PL for example, would see those attendances rise, and demand would far exceed what AG could provide. I gather you`re opposed to the new stadium and thats fair enough but at least use arguments that back up your case instead of clutching at straws and talking to people like shit.

PDG

You are quite correct, but they give an insight into what can be achieved under the right leadership and better investment.

This is now happening at our club, years of scratching at the surface with seemingly large transfers but what amounted to be a minimum long term investment programme.

To achieve anything in football and to increase attendances then people want to see longer spells of success, we just haven't had it yet.

Back in the 70s we flirted with success, our attendances increased but in reality we were a struggling side in the top division and people still want to see the chance of a win.

It takes years of relative success to increase attendances and we as a club can do this.

Do you want to be a part of it?

We have what about 1500-2000 POTD every home game? Those POTD fans aint going to be teh same ones each week otherwise they would just buy season tickets. There is other reasons but I think many of the floating supporters don't really enjoy the match day experience at AG. Take the Dolman for example, It is our biggest stand and yet it is nigh on impossible to get a burger and a pint at half time and still have time to eat and drink it let alone go to the toilet. That can't be too apealing to the part timers especially those with young children. People liek me and you and just used to it and just accept it but in this modern age football fans want conformt and Ag is unable to provide that unfortunatly. New stadiums always see a increase in attendences for many reasons and that includes teh better facilities, better travel options and a better match day experience ie comfort.If Cardiff can do it in their Logo Land stadium i'm sure we will be able to do it also.

TBH...your coming across as a bit of an arrogant overbearing *****.

There`s nothing to be naive about, if you have some understanding of the way our attendances ebb and flow you would know that when we are successful our attendances always rise towards the end of the season.....pretty sure the 26th Jan is still some way away from that. It`s therefore fair enough to assume that if we can achieve prolonged success, a season or 2 in the PL for example, would see those attendances rise, and demand would far exceed what AG could provide. I gather you`re opposed to the new stadium and thats fair enough but at least use arguments that back up your case instead of clutching at straws and talking to people like shit.

PDG

Thanks for the compliment.

However, attendances at wembley or the millenium stadium standard are pretty irrelevant, I know Rovers fans and fans of premier league teams went to those games and they are not an indicator of our fanbase.

Guest howisred

However, attendances at wembley or the millenium stadium standard are pretty irrelevant, I know Rovers fans and fans of premier league teams went to those games and they are not an indicator of our fanbase.

Your no city fan, you dont have the passion n excitement that runs though a real city fans veins or the fear of failing that haunts all true fans, your the type who watches from afar, probally a supporter of rovers until we reached the championship playoff final, u then bought a city season ticket with prem football in mind and 1 year later after watching city for that 1 year youve a right to voice your opions, negative shite is not welcome!!!!

new stadium=Bigger crowds, lots more money, better players, premier league

no stadium= back in league 1 playing you old team with no future

Irrelevant ? As is your argument, are you going to defend it....the bit about the 26th Jan in particular...i would like to hear some sort of reply....it`s called debating you know.

PDG

imo this fergie chap is only trying to leech onto the sale of ag to make money out of it when in reality he has no damm right to be getting involved

im in full agreement if he stumps up 20m then he can plant a forest and have a river full of otters for all i care

in short fergie should get his greedy fat fingers out of the bcfc pie and stop trying to line his own pockets on the back of the clubs plans for ashton vale/gate

When you mention the "North St Scene" I think you have got it in one, there was no north st scene until his giant bar opened and without doubt took trade from elsewhere.

Yeah, but the simple fact is that North Street is now great, but when I grew up there in the 1970's it was an embarassment. If a couple of old fashioned pubs have died because (let's be honest) nobody could be bothered to visit them any longer, then that's a perfect example of supply and demand determining the success, or otherwise, of a business.

I like the new North Street, and I'm not a lentil-eating leftie.

Sexstone is dead right, Ferguson is self interested above all else and there's plenty of public domain information to support that.

Ferguson has built himself a moral soap box on the back of a couple of good developments that made him a lot of money and abuses it constantly for his own ends.

The only reason he is interested is he smells an opportunity to make money, he should **** off and concentrate on what will happen to the old Sainsbury's site but he's not interested because it isn't near the trendy end.

Sexstone is open and honest about his motives. Ferguson is far from the same.

Nibor, I can only echo your and Rich's responses a hundred fold. I'm not surprised that CS is frustrated by George Ferguson having to challenge everything and my experience living on the doorstep of Ferguson's initiatives and campaigning is exactly as you paint it - disingenuous.

To pick but one - he made a song and dance about parking and traffic over the supermarket plans, but parking around North St is at it worst in the evenings, not peak supermarket time but peak time for the 100 people attending his new theatre he conveniently imagines everyone floats to.

To the original poster, CS may now live in North Bristol but I understood he was Bedminster born and bred so has every right to an interest in the area, if I recall correctly Ferguson is from London and moved here in the 70's/80's out of commercial opportunity. Beware of false prophets.

Bottom line, no one dictates to George Ferguson about how he should run the Tobacco Factory or his other commercial ventures or use land he owns, why does he feel he has the right to always comment, challenge or veto whatever Steve Lansdown does with land he and the club own.

Is Ferguson really a supporter and an invester? I've never seen him at Ashton Gate and don't think he knows much about football.

He keeps banging on about a scheme for land he doesn't own. I'm making plans to demolish the Tobacco Factory, his house and build something else there, sure he doesn't mind. It will be environmentally friendly.

His scheme sounds great...but will never happen because it doesn't provide the funds for the new stadium. So if he keeps banging on about his plans we'll have no new housing (as could happen on existing Sainsbury's site) and no supermarket. Everyone will lose.

I was thinking the same question... didn't the Tob Fac have a 'no football shirts/colours' policy once? Doesn't seem like something a supporter or investor in BCFC would do IMO.

So let me get this right, this bloke Ferguson owns a big pub in North Street and wants housing and not a supermarket on the Ashton Gate site. I wonder why is that for the good of North Street or for his pub, tough one.

Lee Peacock I was born and bred in that area, get real this guy is a business man not the saviour of North Street and toadies like yourself are here doing his bidding.

Your point about crowd size is pathetic, the reason for such a low crowd/crowds is for several reasons, 1) for a start parking in the area of the the ground is crap and ill defined and the priority for the police towing vehicles changes with the wind and many who have been caught out won't come anymore. 2) because of the old design of the ground segregation means that sometimes as many as 3,000 places are sacrificed and also many people (unlike many on this forum) don't want to go into the east end. 3) Ashton Gate is a decaying mausoleum with crap facilities, where you queue to get in, queue to get out, queue for a piss, queue for a bovril and you need to be at the ground the day before to get access to one of the bars, if you manage not to have wade through piss in an overflowing toilet it's an achievement and of course that's assuming you can find somewhere to park in the first place. Also look at the data most clubs with new grounds have increased crowds and not stagnating crowds.

Finally people want better facilities, ask your mate Ferguson, would his pâtrons come to his pub if the facilities were as described above, of course not, Ferguson may have for what ever reason you as an ally but don't come on here for a sympathetic hearing on an issue so crucial for the future of our club.

i just think its arrogant of someone to, to produce detailed plans for an area of private developement, when you have never been asked or consulted on the project,

and even more arrogant that someone would then make these plans public, and expect people to consider them.

i hear he also obtained planning permission for a project on land that he did not own or have any connection with, thats like me submitting plans to put a bungalow in my neighbours back garden, how the hell does that get approval.

that is what CS was implying, 'if its nowt to do with you, keep your interfering beak out'

and that is something i agree with.

and before someone comments ........ making an objection to a proposal is fine ....... what this guy does it blatent self promotion

i just think its arrogant of someone to, to produce detailed plans for an area of private developement, when you have never been asked or consulted on the project,

and even more arrogant that someone would then make these plans public, and expect people to consider them.

i hear he also obtained planning permission for a project on land that he did not own or have any connection with, thats like me submitting plans to put a bungalow in my neighbours back garden, how the hell does that get approval.

that is what CS was implying, 'if its nowt to do with you, keep your interfering beak out'

and that is something i agree with.

and before someone comments ........ making an objection to a proposal is fine ....... what this guy does it blatent self promotion

Maybe he is hoping people will prefer his plans so they object to the supermarket plans, I would then guess he thinks he would be able to pick the land up for peanuts then to build his crap on it which will surely be done for the community rather than for self gain.

What he needs to do is to start making plans for the old Sainsburys site before someone beats him to it instead of wasting his time on this.

Anyone can out in a bid for planning permission on any land they want. You can submit plans for a bungalow in your neighbours back garden and, if it meets the policies, it will be approved. Clearly, it makes no difference because you can't actually build anything without the owner's permission. So, him putting forward plans is fine, but makes no difference whatsoever as the club clearly aren't going to sell unless he stumps up the cash.

Maybe he is hoping people will prefer his plans so they object to the supermarket plans, I would then guess he thinks he would be able to pick the land up for peanuts then to build his crap on it which will surely be done for the community rather than for self gain.

What he needs to do is to start making plans for the old Sainsburys site before someone beats him to it instead of wasting his time on this.

I don't think he wants to do a development himself at Ashton Gate, he just wants to offer an alternative use for the site because he and his Southville mates don't want a supermarket there.

When the campaign starts against the new supermarket he will be working behind the scenes to oppose it, his plan is supposed to show what a good development should be like, as opposed to Sainsbury's and the so called threat to North St and ultimately his own business.

I don't think he wants to do a development himself at Ashton Gate, he just wants to offer an alternative use for the site because he and his Southville mates don't want a supermarket there.

When the campaign starts against the new supermarket he will be working behind the scenes to oppose it, his plan is supposed to show what a good development should be like, as opposed to Sainsbury's and the so called threat to North St and ultimately his own business.

he absolutely does want a development of his own at Ashton Gate. he wouldn't go to all the work he already has if he doesn't.

he absolutely does want a development of his own at Ashton Gate. he wouldn't go to all the work he already has if he doesn't.

Sorry to dissagree but if he offers up alternatives to a supermarket then he wins support for his own aims.

As for the amount of work put in by him so far, he can afford the time and it was probably done by juniors using existing plans adapted for this site, we've only seen sketches so far.

I'll bet there are no detailed drawings because he would not have access to the site, that is where the time is taken.

Sorry to dissagree but if he offers up alternatives to a supermarket then he wins support for his own aims.

As for the amount of work put in by him so far, he can afford the time and it was probably done by juniors using existing plans adapted for this site, we've only seen sketches so far.

I'll bet there are no detailed drawings because he would not have access to the site, that is where the time is taken.

No need to apologise for disagreeing! I think it's something for him to keep in the back pocket - see what the reaction is when Sainsbury's proposals are in, and spring a rabbit out of the hat that the club, if desperate, may just go for. Why he's not proposing his plan on the current Sainsbury's site is a mystery.

Archived