IGNORED

Lee Johson

red army

I hardly ever post but I can't resist this one!

Lee Johnson is not, and never has been, a Championship player. If he is good enough then let's see what other CCC teams would offer him a contract. Never mind about Lee, GJ is being damaged with fielding 10 and a half men each week. We've got away with it in the past but as others have faded this season (eg ME) the aching weakness that is LJ is all too obvious. He is not strong enough, not tall enough, not skilled enough, not offensive enough. He's better than all of us here but he's not good enough for the second tier of football. no reasonable observer of football can possibly deny that. Theoretically if LJ was put on the transfer list, who would bid for him from the CCC, and at what price? I appreciate the loyalty of the City fans here defending LJ but let's be objective here. The same has been said since he joined us - LJ has never earned his place on performance. I'm sorry but nepotism can never be the basis of team selection.

And your thoughts on Marvin Elliott, Cole Skuse and Jamie McCallister who were all worse than LJ on saturday?

Are you really trying to say that Lee Johnson is as good as the players listed above or the same value to the team.Because if you are then God help us all.I will say one thing for Gary he can actually get City fans arguing to support a sub standard League One player above players who actually put themselves on the line for team while Lee just finds places to hide.How the hell can we have a midfield player who won't or can't tackle.

It is an indictment of Gary Johnson that he keeps on doing this.

Are you really trying to say that Lee Johnson is as good as the players listed above or the same value to the team.Because if you are then God help us all.I will say one thing for Gary he can actually get City fans arguing to support a sub standard League One player above players who actually put themselves on the line for team while Lee just finds places to hide.How the hell can we have a midfield player who won't or can't tackle.

I'm saying he had a better game than them...

I think it is clear that LJ can not make a decent impact at the level we want to operate at.

League 1 is his ideal level and it would be better for us all now if he was sold on, because the CCC is, sadly, too good for him.

But what does GJ see that we dont, because I just dont believe for 1 minute he would continue to play him solely because of the family tie, it would be too unprofessional?

I hardly ever post but I can't resist this one!

Lee Johnson is not, and never has been, a Championship player. If he is good enough then let's see what other CCC teams would offer him a contract. Never mind about Lee, GJ is being damaged with fielding 10 and a half men each week. We've got away with it in the past but as others have faded this season (eg ME) the aching weakness that is LJ is all too obvious. He is not strong enough, not tall enough, not skilled enough, not offensive enough. He's better than all of us here but he's not good enough for the second tier of football. no reasonable observer of football can possibly deny that. Theoretically if LJ was put on the transfer list, who would bid for him from the CCC, and at what price? I appreciate the loyalty of the City fans here defending LJ but let's be objective here. The same has been said since he joined us - LJ has never earned his place on performance. I'm sorry but nepotism can never be the basis of team selection.

And what will that prove? Basso has been on the transfer list for some time now - not one enquiry received from CCC or Premier league level. Are you saying he's not good enough for the CCC then?

On current form, certainly this season Johnson has been considerably better than Elliott, yes.

He wouldn't be in my first choice team, but he's a good player and the treatment he gets is pretty despicable.

Change The Record, lee johnson

i am wrighting this dont care if i spell things wrong i am fu**ing fed up with this subject yes he has bad days and he has good days he like all the other players arnt perfect so if all the people that come on here and moan all the god dam time about lj ang gj and everthing else get a grip of yourself and support bristol city and change the fu**ing record you are allowed an opion but say it once and move on we have a good squad and manager and staff including the scrumpy and the groundsmen if all you want to do is moan go to the other side of bristol and watch sh*t football thank you and goodnight

On current form, certainly this season Johnson has been considerably better than Elliott, yes.

He wouldn't be in my first choice team, but he's a good player and the treatment he gets is pretty despicable.

Quite right and the protestations from the anti Lee brigade that it has nothing to do with him the bosses son are getting increasingly desperate. I am also worried about the suggestions that we should lose a perfectly good member of the squad because some fans can't control their prejudices. Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's there were black players hounded out certain clubs because some fans couldn't control their prejudices, I would hate to think that a small minded minority could win the day again in the 21st century.

Some people may think it is an unwarranted comparison, but so many of things that LJ gets criticised for are beyond his control. e.g. His relationship to the Manager, his height and a lack of blistering pace. None of these things make him a bad footballer, there are plenty of players across the leagues that are related to others, lots of short players and lots that aren't quick players.

He is a very good squad player and has a good level of experience in the championship now. I don't see why another team should benefit from having him in their squad just because some people choose to make an issue out of his relationship to the manager.

Riaz I have singled out a few of your comments, I do not wish to attack you I just want to debate a few of your points as I wholeheartedly disagree with some of them!

And your thoughts on Marvin Elliott, Cole Skuse and Jamie McCallister who were all worse than LJ on saturday?

Cole Skuse was out of position, and yes I know he's a so called 'utility player' but thats only because hes been turned into one by being played out of posiition, he's clearly a CM.

Cole skuse can be forgiven for his last two poor perfomances, because they are few and far between. But Jamie McAllister and Marvin Elliott have been far worse than LJ recently.

Disagree with this, as poor and inconsistent as Elliot has been this season I don't think LJ has been better, and I don't think Macca's been particularly bad. What games has LJ been outstanding in this seaosn? For me if he has a good game, he's a decent player, however when he doesn't have a good game he is very below par, which for me isn't acceptable. I don't see why we need him when Hartley is playing.

They have been WORSE this season. If you werent so blinded by the fact he is the managers son, you will have seen that.

This does not affect the situation for me, I just don't think he's better than Sno, Hartley, Skuse, Elliot or even Williams. And for me his cons outweigh his pro's.

Clearly not as stupid as you.

Sno has played nearly everywhere in his career and for me is comfortable playing there.. although not permanantly...

Sno has played in a variety of central positions as far as I'm aware but has never played wide. He is clearly a central player and when he comes inside you can see his quality. I personally think his best position would be a holding role, but he can clearly drive forward in a central position as well.

Lee Johnson positives:

Positive attitude

Reasonable passing over medium range

Rarely injured

Available for a pass often

Negatives:

No defensive value

Skips tackles

Aerial weakness

One paced

Slows breaks

Poor passing over long distance (easily picked off chips)

Makes mistakes in dangerous situations

He definitely has defensive value, otherwise people wouldn't complain about him allegedly not tracking back. Hartley isn't much better defensively.

The last 4 apply to Elliott & Skuse too.

When did LJ last skip a tackle? He's quite poor at tackling, mostly because of his size.

His passing over long distance is as good as Elliott's, Skuse's & Williams'. And his medium range passing is as good as Hartley's.

When did he last make a mistake in a dangerous situation? Sno is about 3x worse on that front.

His weaknesses are size, heading the ball, lack of acceleration, infrequency of through balls down the middle and being the manager's son.

You missed anticipation, stamina & footballing intelligence from positives.

Shall we do Elliott, Skuse and Williams now? No because publicly tearing down our own players is a horrible thing to do.

He definitely has defensive value, otherwise people wouldn't complain about him allegedly not tracking back. Hartley isn't much better defensively.
He has no defensive value because he jogs back behind play, Hartley gets back behind the ball and wins tackles, he is far better defensively.

Bullshit. Skuse is the second (maybe third now) quickest player over 30 yards. Elliott has a big variation in pace. Neither breaks slowly. Skuse's passing over any distance is much more accurate than LJ's because he picks his passes better. Elliott doesn't pass over distance because he knows his limits. Skuse does make mistakes yes.

When did LJ last skip a tackle? He's quite poor at tackling, mostly because of his size.
Twice on Saturday that I noticed and he also bottled shooting because a tackle was coming in. Size is not an excuse, plenty of small players have been great tacklers over the years. It is mentality - fear - that causes him to skip out.

His passing over long distance is as good as Elliott's, Skuse's & Williams'. And his medium range passing is as good as Hartley's.
Skuse and Williams are far better passers over distance. Hartley is more accurate at any range.

When did he last make a mistake in a dangerous situation? Sno is about 3x worse on that front.
On Saturday, put our own defence under pressure unnecessarily twice. Sno's mistakes are further up the pitch in less dangerous situations and the result of two or three players closing him down bar one complete catastrophe on Saturday.

His weaknesses are size, heading the ball, lack of acceleration, infrequency of through balls down the middle and being the manager's son.

Don't care whose son he is, he has more weaknesses than those you list and they cost us.

You should bear in mind that some of us have watched him for four years now. I praised him in league one when he was very good, even his first season in the Championship I defended him when his set pieces were useful and his passing was working. Use search if you don't believe me.

Sadly he has not progressed one inch since then and other players have. The opposition get tougher every year and he isn't up to it now.

You missed anticipation, stamina & footballing intelligence from positives.

No, I didn't, they are all unremarkable.

Shall we do Elliott, Skuse and Williams now? No because publicly tearing down our own players is a horrible thing to do.

If you like. A football forum is the very place for discussing a player's strengths and weaknesses. I'm not tearing anybody down - LJ is a good pro who tries hard and a very nice guy. But that isn't enough and there are five better players than him in the same position at our club.

He has no defensive value because he jogs back behind play, Hartley gets back behind the ball and wins tackles, he is far better defensively.

Well now, he's only jogging back if he's been at the heart of our attacking play or has made a run. Hartley, I presume you notice, has been playing deep. He rarely gets forward hence not far to run back.

Yes, Hartley is a better tackler, though still on the weak side.

Bullshit. Skuse is the second (maybe third now) quickest player over 30 yards. Elliott has a big variation in pace. Neither breaks slowly.

Skuse is very quick. But what does this variation in pace mean and why is it important? I presumed you're talking about unsettling the opponents and getting the ball forwards before they can organise a defence.

I agree this is one of LJ's weaknesses. But it's a weakness of all 3 and for different reasons that we've mentioned.

Skuse's passing over any distance is much more accurate than LJ's because he picks his passes better. Elliott doesn't pass over distance because he knows his limits.

Skuse's passing has been poor over the last 2 games - and I mean poor by defender's standards. This is not unprecented. His inconsistency is the main fault of his game.

I presumably don't know what you mean by picking passes better because I disagree.

What you said about Elliott just confirms my point.

Twice on Saturday that I noticed and he also bottled shooting because a tackle was coming in.

I didn't see any at all. LJ's defensive work doesn't involve much tackling. He broke up a 4 on 4 on Saturday down our left just by closing off the attacker's options.

As far as shooting, nearly all of his long shots are blocked - I don't know why. Maybe the opposition think it won't hurt... ;)

But maybe that's what he was avoiding.

Skuse and Williams are far better passers over distance. Hartley is more accurate at any range.

I just disagree period. Skuse is frequently horrible over any distance. Can't comment on Williams as I've only seen him play half a game.

On Saturday, put our own defence under pressure unnecessarily twice. Sno's mistakes are further up the pitch in less dangerous situations and the result of two or three players closing him down bar one complete catastrophe on Saturday.

Are you talking about him passing back to defenders? Maybe he just has more faith in our defenders than you do. Both of those times it settled the defence.

Was Sno's catastrophe when he passed into touch? I'm glad someone else has noticed Sno is playing forward and yes you're right on this point. He only made that 1 mistake on Saturday that I noticed.

The second game I saw Sno play, he passed directly to opposition forwards 3x, twice putting us into a 3 on 3, 4 on 4 position. Subsequent games I saw him do it. Maybe he's getting better and if so, we should buy him now before the price goes up...

Sadly he has not progressed one inch since then and other players have.

I can only really comment on what I've seen which has been about 16 months. He was very poor every other game and deserved to be dropped when I started watching. He then got better every game and is still doing so as far as I can see:

He has gone from never tackling to tackling half-decently.

He has gone from never heading to still quite weak heading.

He has gone from never taking players on except when forced to, to making the odd little run up the middle.

He has gone from looking mentally beaten to being our most consistently positive player since Basso.

I could take your word for it that he's just catching up to where he was but then you seem to be missing an awful lot of his game.

The opposition get tougher every year.

Fair point and he does seem to have trouble finding enough space to pick out through balls.

No, I didn't, they are all unremarkable.

Best stamina in the first 11. Anticipation too - I can't think of anyone better (it's a general weakness of the squad). Footballing brain not far behind Hartley's.

If you like. A football forum is the very place for discussing a player's strengths and weaknesses.

Yes and no. It's not like you ever get threads saying Cole Skuse or Marvin Elliott must go.

I seem to spend more of my time defending LJ here than anything else. I hate to see the way he's picked on, especially when he played half-decent on Saturday whilst others have sucked so bad all season that I think we should sell them asap. I don't criticise players as a rule. Anyone playing for us at this level is so much better than we are at what they do, they really deserve to be honoured.

That doesn't mean they can't be objectively critiqued. But when it's in a thread as unfair as this, I think you have to go out of your way to be fair to the guy.

entitled to your opinion Nibor but i disagree :)

Fine - be interested to hear what about and why.

I'll add one final thing.

The furore over LJ is not because he is the manager's son. That has become the stone to throw but it isn't why people started to think he shouldn't be picked.

LJ commits the cardinal sin for a midfielder at Ashton Gate - he doesn't put himself on the line in a challenge. The Ashton Gate crowd despise that and any player who looks like they're shirking the physical side of the game will be on the receiving end. It's happened before and it will again. That's why he gets more stick than other midfielders, being the manager's son just makes it sadly more personal.

mindjuicer - I disagree with you on how you've interpreted what you've seen in the game and I've made different observations to you. I will be interested to see what your thoughts are if you get a chance to see Skuse have a run of games in central midfield and Williams play with any regularity. I'd also point out there's at least one thread slating both Elliott and Skuse at the moment so it isn't all unbalanced.

That's why he gets more stick than other midfielders, being the manager's son just makes it sadly more personal.

True - far worse performances by Skuse (not recently) and Elliott get overlooked.

There's also his lack of game-changing passes/runs/goals.

I think it's more the general lack of understanding of the finer points of the game by the more vocal fans. In the more 'civilised' Williams stand, a lot of people appreciate him.

I'd also point out there's at least one thread slating both Elliott and Skuse at the moment so it isn't all unbalanced.

I've seen the one about Skuse which I defended him on - I really can't see the problem, Skuse is doing a good job filling in for Orr. I've never seen an 'Elliott out' thread - just one about 'I'm worried we might sell him'. Anyone want to estimate the number of 'LJ out' threads in the last 18 months?

I also thought the comment about the thread praising Trundle was poignant.

Chances are the team will be unchanged tonight unless Orr is fit - or Carey. If we don't win, it'll be the same BS all over again.

I'm sorry but Skuse does not slow down breaks, especially when playing in CM, his actual position. Countless times on Saturday he looked up and there was noone wide to play it to, so he cut in played the ball inside. His passing isn't poor either I personally thought he played some excellent balls in to Haynes Saturday and again when playing CM his passing is good, people have to realise that althogh he's a 'utility player' RB still is not his main position. I also disagree with the points you've made about his medium range passing being as good as Hartleys.

Skuse's passing has been poor over the last 2 games - and I mean poor by defender's standards. This is not unprecented. His inconsistency is the main fault of his game.

I presumably don't know what you mean by picking passes better because I disagree.

I just disagree period. Skuse is frequently horrible over any distance. Can't comment on Williams as I've only seen him play half a game.

I don't agree with Skuse's passing being particularly poor and how on earth you can claim he's inconsisitent is beyond me. One of our best players this season and in the middle looks immense, can also do a job in defence and never moans where he's played, his attitude and workrate are world class. And his passing if sometimes not brilliant from defence, which is still debateable as I think its pretty good, it is in no way horrible.

Fine - be interested to hear what about and why.

I'll add one final thing.

The furore over LJ is not because he is the manager's son. That has become the stone to throw but it isn't why people started to think he shouldn't be picked.

LJ commits the cardinal sin for a midfielder at Ashton Gate - he doesn't put himself on the line in a challenge. The Ashton Gate crowd despise that and any player who looks like they're shirking the physical side of the game will be on the receiving end. It's happened before and it will again. That's why he gets more stick than other midfielders, being the manager's son just makes it sadly more personal.

mindjuicer - I disagree with you on how you've interpreted what you've seen in the game and I've made different observations to you. I will be interested to see what your thoughts are if you get a chance to see Skuse have a run of games in central midfield and Williams play with any regularity. I'd also point out there's at least one thread slating both Elliott and Skuse at the moment so it isn't all unbalanced.

I just personally value him higher than you do but your entitled to your opinion. I do agree he bottles out of challenges and this does frustrate me a lot, perhaps part of me does stick up for him cos i he does get a lot of abuse in general and a lot of it off some people os harsh. A guy in Dolman just kept shouting "idiot" at him on saturday, tis a farcical thing to shout as LJ clearly isnt an idiot

I can only really comment on what I've seen which has been about 16 months. He was very poor every other game and deserved to be dropped when I started watching. He then got better every game and is still doing so as far as I can see:

He has gone from never tackling to tackling half-decently.

He has gone from never heading to still quite weak heading.

He has gone from never taking players on except when forced to, to making the odd little run up the middle.

He has gone from looking mentally beaten to being our most consistently positive player since Basso.

Gosh, is it work experience week already!

Fairly typical response from the ultimate keyboard wit - taking the piss out of someone's spelling now?

Actually, although i'm sure this post is genuine, it could have been started by a bogus LJ 'hater', because whilst he's still pretty poor at present,he's been a lot worse.

He's also a fairly regular first choice, but not like previous seasons when he was probably first on the team sheet - fertile ground for those who would seek to defend young Lee and blow this post out of the water.

Cue next post - sack Gary Johnson and bring in Darren Ferguson/Ian Dowie/Bryan Gunn anyone....

Quite right and the protestations from the anti Lee brigade that it has nothing to do with him the bosses son are getting increasingly desperate. I am also worried about the suggestions that we should lose a perfectly good member of the squad because some fans can't control their prejudices. Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's there were black players hounded out certain clubs because some fans couldn't control their prejudices, I would hate to think that a small minded minority could win the day again in the 21st century.

I think the more desperate argument is the one that says anyone who dares to criticise Lee Johnson is only doing it because he is the Managers Son and that they are no better than a RACIST!!! Nibor has given a number of coherent arguments suggesting that if the club is to move forwards then we need better quality than Marmite (definitely not a racist term, trust me) in the midfield. You seem to be brushing HIS OPINION off as being no better than that of some extreme right wing bigot.

LJ has done a job for us, no disputing that, and thank you very much but there are some people, who are not prejudiced, who GENUINELY believe that his time is up. You don't and that is your reasonable opinion - no one is accusing you of being positively descriminatory are they?

18 months ago was the start of last season. LJ played 47 games last season (with 2 assists) being token subbed I believe, on two occasions.

The question I kept asking last season was which game should he have been dropped for. Nobody came back with a good answer then and I'm guessing that's still the case.

Yes, he deserved to be dropped and was very 'lucky' not to be. But GJ has to pick the team he thinks well play best. Unlike most players, LJ bounces back after a bad game and I don't remember him having 2 stickers in a row. Also, there wasn't much competition last year for his spot.

If Saturdays performance is a culmination of getting better every game it's a joke.

Seems a lot of people disagree with you, no doubt including GJ, SL & most of the team.

LJ has not been dropped this season he was rotated out and then very craftily brought back in, initially at the expense of Hartley.

Wrong... he's been dropped twice. Don't remember which was the first one - does anyone remember? The second one was recently, when he was subbed at half-time. He was dropped for the next game.

Hartley has never been dropped, only rotated because of tiredness. I've already pointed out the unfairness of that and maybe GJ should have dropped the MoM, LJ.

He is also the only midfielder who has never been played out of position.

He's playing slightly out of position now. He should be in the middle or the right, instead is playing on the left.

Hartley isn't playing out of position - I presume he's choosing to play deep. Likewise, Elliott chose to play on the right. Sno's position, if he has one, is DM - and so it's Hartley keeping him out of that position...

WellRedPhil - there's a whole thread about how bad Skuse's passing was on Saturday. Personally I think it's forgivable considering he's covering for Orr. I would swap him for Elliott when Orr gets back but only because the former is so badly out of form.

The question I kept asking last season was which game should he have been dropped for. Nobody came back with a good answer then and I'm guessing that's still the case.

Yes, he deserved to be dropped and was very 'lucky' not to be. But GJ has to pick the team he thinks well play best. Unlike most players, LJ bounces back after a bad game and I don't remember him having 2 stickers in a row. Also, there wasn't much competition last year for his spot.

Seems a lot of people disagree with you, no doubt including GJ, SL & most of the team.

Wrong... he's been dropped twice. Don't remember which was the first one - does anyone remember? The second one was recently, when he was subbed at half-time. He was dropped for the next game.

Hartley has never been dropped, only rotated because of tiredness. I've already pointed out the unfairness of that and maybe GJ should have dropped the MoM, LJ.

He's playing slightly out of position now. He should be in the middle or the right, instead is playing on the left.

Hartley isn't playing out of position - I presume he's choosing to play deep. Likewise, Elliott chose to play on the right. Sno's position, if he has one, is DM - and so it's Hartley keeping him out of that position...

WellRedPhil - there's a whole thread about how bad Skuse's passing was on Saturday. Personally I think it's forgivable considering he's covering for Orr. I would swap him for Elliott when Orr gets back but only because the former is so badly out of form.

How does he "bounce" back as you say by having another mediocer(sp) game? I dont think he ever plays terribly but he never plays to the level that others in his position can. Hence so much negativity towards him.

When was the last time you left a game thinking Lee Johnson is amazing? Hartley and Sno ive thought it countless times this season. Marv in his first season. Skuse, young showing great potential. Williams showed some absolutely class performances last season but never LJ! When he has a good game it never stands out, when he has a poor game it shows by a mile. IMO he is very consistantly average and when we have the players we do in that position we should not be settling for average.

I also think hes a big part of the "boring" factor people talk about at games now. He jogs at one pace for 90 minutes ,he plays nice little short passes ,plays everything safe and never drives forward. I'm absolutely certain that any of our other central midfielders would be much more exciting to watch in the middle and would almost certainly stop the fans getting so frustrated.

:surrender:

I dont think he ever plays terribly but he never plays to the level that others in his position can.

"Can" is the key word. If others played at the level they "can" consistently, there would be no contest.

Yes, a lot of his football is dull to watch. Until we're winning more frequently, I think entertainment has to come second.

Luckily, we signed Sno and Haynes, who are both entertaining and tactically superior. Compared to the longball of last season, I'm quite satisfied.

Cole skuse can be forgiven for his last two poor perfomances, because they are few and far between. But Jamie McAllister and Marvin Elliott have been far worse than LJ recently.

Jamie Mccalistar maybe but other than sat Marvin Elliot has played well and definitly alot better than LJ. In fact Marvin is one of our best Midfielders so why your bringing him into it i dont know.

Jamie Mccalistar maybe but other than sat Marvin Elliot has played well and definitly alot better than LJ. In fact Marvin is one of our best Midfielders so why your bringing him into it i dont know.

I rate Marvin Elliott - he is of course better than LJ - But he has been poor this season...

I think the more desperate argument is the one that says anyone who dares to criticise Lee Johnson is only doing it because he is the Managers Son and that they are no better than a RACIST!!! Nibor has given a number of coherent arguments suggesting that if the club is to move forwards then we need better quality than Marmite (definitely not a racist term, trust me) in the midfield. You seem to be brushing HIS OPINION off as being no better than that of some extreme right wing bigot.

LJ has done a job for us, no disputing that, and thank you very much but there are some people, who are not prejudiced, who GENUINELY believe that his time is up. You don't and that is your reasonable opinion - no one is accusing you of being positively descriminatory are they?

I realised after posting that my comparison could be misconstrued. Among the dictionary definitions of prejudice I have found are

influence (somebody's) opinion in advance <LI>bias: a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation

I was making a comparison with situations where that has occured in the past and what I believe has happened many times on here. I don't know why you have brought Nibor in particular, I wasn't discussing any particular individual when I placed the post, I think I may have even missed his contribution in this thread, but I will go looking for it.

Generally I feel most of the criticism is unfair, if he was criticised for not doing the things that he is good at well, that would be fair, but I am trying to defend him from criticism for things that are beyond his control.

Having said all that, I still think that our strongest, fittest and in form team would see him on the bench.

Skuse is better than EWElliot IMO based on the way Elliot has played last season and this season. IMO Skuse is player of the season.

Archived