IGNORED

Not Too Disapointed

Robbored

Donny is a very tough place to go. They have an impressive home record and City don't usually do well up there. No surprise to see City go down 1-0.

Johnson set the team up to be well balanced and combative with positive instructions today. It didn't quite click in the first 45 but once again Johnson got it right by bringing on Saborio at half time. Plenty of time to make a difference and Alvaro did just that and City were a tad unlucky not to nick a point. Just couldn't find that vital goal despite several chances. It happens.

Hopefully Johnson will send out the team next with the same formation and instructions and City can get back to winning ways at AG. It would be a delight to leave AG next saturday having seen City win playing attractive and entertaining football. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Donny is a very tough place to go. They have an impressive home record and City don't usually do well up there. No surprise to see City go down 1-0.

Johnson set the team up to be well balanced and combative with positive instructions today. It didn't quite click in the first 45 but once again Johnson got it right by bringing on Saborio at half time. Plenty of time to make a difference and Alvaro did just that and City were a tad unlucky not to nick a point. Just couldn't find that vital goal despite several chances. It happens.

Hopefully Johnson will send out the team next with the same formation and instructions and City can get back to winning ways at AG. It would be a delight to leave AG next saturday having seen City win playing attractive and entertaining football. I can't remember the last time that happened.

:noexpression:

is that?

no, it can't be...

A POSITIVE post following a defeat? that's rare from ANYONE on OTIB, but from Robbo?!

fair play though Robbo, I take it you went today? I had work so haven't heard much... I take it from this that we played well, and kept the ball on the deck a bit?

How very selfish Robbo - you haven't given the happy clappers something to whinge about!

Donny isn't easy but I'm still a little disappointed with the result. I was fairly surprised to see Elliott get the nod but the rest of the team picked itself.

No real complaints as long as we try and play attacking football next match.

Evander Sno will be straight back in and hopefully playing in a more central role that can do some damage to Reading rather than waiting for Brendan Rodgers to stick two blokes on him out on the left. That can only help. Like I said before we have to muddle on through to the January transfer window with what we have and see if we can do some positive wheeling and dealing there. If not, middle to lower middle table obscurity beckons.

The last two results of varying nature are typical of what you will get from an unbalanced squad with limited attacking options overall.

Keith Millen just said on Radio Bristol "we set the side out to make it difficult for them in the first half"

Would it not be nice for our coaches to "set the side out to take the game to them" each week.

I can understand the thinking away from home. But at home to a struggling Reading side next week we should be looking to take them a-f00k1ng-part - it really is as simple as that. And I hope we do.

I can understand the thinking away from home. But at home to a struggling Reading side next week we should be looking to take them a-f00k1ng-part - it really is as simple as that. And I hope we do.

I wonder sometimes about our first half mentality though,we have to go at Reading from the whistle next week.

Evander Sno will be straight back in and hopefully playing in a more central role that can do some damage to Reading rather than waiting for Brendan Rodgers to stick two blokes on him out on the left. That can only help. Like I said before we have to muddle on through to the January transfer window with what we have and see if we can do some positive wheeling and dealing there. If not, middle to lower middle table obscurity beckons.

The last two results of varying nature are typical of what you will get from an unbalanced squad with limited attacking options overall.

It is very likely that Sno will be back in (with Hartley), however with Ivan Sproule not available (probably) will we play with Williams and Haynes on the flanks and Maynard and Sabario up front, leaving Scuse as the unlucky player yet again

The backline dependent upon injuries virtually picks itself...

It is looking more likely to me that if a decent offer comes in for Elliot he may be allowed to leave freeing up some much needed cash for a little delve into the transfer market in the window without tugging on Mr Landsdowne's cuffs.

However after saying all that I feel really sorry for Clarkson...Who simply cant get more than a camio...chin up boy your chance will come

Keith Millen just said on Radio Bristol "we set the side out to make it difficult for them in the first half"

Would it not be nice for our coaches to "set the side out to take the game to them" each week.

It irks me that our thinking is dominated by the strengths of the oppisition rather than the focus being on their weaknesses and what threat we pose to them. Why follow a succesful attacking performance with a defensive one? If last season showed us anything it was that if we were defensive somebody would make a stupid mistake and points would be lost. Today it was Cole Skuse's turn to bugger up the game plan and as usual we could not recover. Still most football managers have a fixed way of doing things (Rafa Benitez proves it par excellence) and no amount of contrary evidence will change their approach. Just wish our management team had more faith in themselves and their players instead of living in fear. :disapointed2se:

The management do give the impression that they worry a great deal about the opposition. No doubt at team meetings they point out all the other teams stregths. It would be a refreshing change for Johnson/Millen to hardly mention the opposition and simply tell the players "You are too good for this lot, go out there and express yourselves and you'll win the game."

Out of interest what do you think Elliot is worth on current form ?

I would sell for a Million and be happy at present if its spent on a winger say

Begins to look like we should have cashed in as he has been a shadow of his former self for a long time. Whether injuiries have taken their toll or he has just become too comfortable I don't know but he is certainly losing value. When the time comes to cut the debt only Nicky Maynard will have significant value, assuming his current drought and reversion to last season's form is temporary. :fingerscrossed:

Just on the train on the way back from Donny.

I dont know if Robbo went but was good to see his positive post, I think what he said was just about right. A reasonable and predictable selection and although they did seem to want to sit off in a genererally lack-luster first half (I think regarding Millen's 2 options of playing Doncaster, pressuring them high or letting them play in front of you, he definetely chose the latter) they seemed comfortable enough apart from some individual errors, the worst of which gave away the goal.

Ivan was anonymous as was Elliot so the changes strengthened the team and at the start of the 2nd half they played really well. Not being able to score in that period took the wind out of their sales and, although they still had the better of the whole second half and probably deserved a point, Donny's ability to keep possesion eventually frustrated us. All in all another missed opportunity to really gain on the top 6, but by no means a disaster and I too am looking forward to Reading.

As for the day as a whole, poor atmosphere at the ground,not helped by our support being spread over a whole end, although there was a great effort from a sterling few, who made more noise than the home contingent. All in all it had a feel of a very tame fixture - freezing as well and a terrible bus service back to the train station didn't help the general mood!

I dont know if Robbo went but was good to see his positive post, I think what he said was just about right. A reasonable and predictable selection and although they did seem to want to sit off in a genererally lack-luster first half (I think regarding Millen's 2 options of playing Doncaster, pressuring them high or letting them play in front of you, he definetely chose the latter) they seemed comfortable enough apart from some individual errors, the worst of which gave away the goal.

Ivan was anonymous as was Elliot so the changes strengthened the team and at the start of the 2nd half they played really well. Not being able to score in that period took the wind out of their sales and, although they still had the better of the whole second half and probably deserved a point, Donny's ability to keep possesion eventually frustrated us. All in all another missed opportunity to really gain on the top 6, but by no means a disaster and I too am looking forward to Reading.

As for the day as a whole, poor atmosphere at the ground,not helped by our support being spread over a whole end, although there was a great effort from a sterling few, who made more noise than the home contingent. All in all it had a feel of a very tame fixture - freezing as well and a terrible bus service back to the train station didn't help the general mood!

492 City fans and a graphic description from Chaplain - which I was there :(

It depends on what his reduced effectiveness is due to.

Is he carrying an injury?

Lacking motivation because he knows of previous interest, or even because he knows he's going?

Not showing up so well due to role in the team/formation?

Simply not as good as he was?

We just don't know if it's one or none of these things, but any manager watching him this season surely won't be contemplating the sort of offers we were fielding a while back.

If we were to sell him to get funds, say a million for sake of argument, would we live to regret it when Sno (probably) moves on at the end of the season? :dunno:

Should we gamble on waiting until he recaptures something near his top form to get the best possible deal?

I would be shocked if we could get a million for him in January.

Best option IMO is to keep him untill the summer and hope his form improves again and go from there.

Thanks for this - and safe journey. Couldn't make it today - it was depressing following the online commentary (couldn't get World/Player to work at all for me today). Looking forward to Saturday

Ivan was anonymous as was Elliot so the changes strengthened the team and at the start of the 2nd half they played really well.

Sorry about his injury, but this description is what I feared from Ivan today.

He's scored the odd wondergoal before, but past experience tells us he's very unlikely to maintain any sort of run of good general form.

As for Marvin, being subbed at half time is a bit of a shocker really, and not sure where this leaves him at all.

More importantly Millen said "If you are going to lose, its best to go down fighting" this was his response to the reporter refering to the half time substitution of Sobario for Elliott. This was obviously the management view at half time, a defeatest view to say the least. I am convinced Johnson and Millen put sides out not to get beat rather than taking the game to the opposition.

According to city report Williams came on for straight swap for Sproule and Saborio came on for Elliott so were we playing 442 with Ivan right and Elliott left of midfield, or did elliott play just behind fronte two in the middle?

Subsequnetly, when saborio came on was it 433 with Williams, hartley and Skuse in midfield and three up front or did haynes drop back more into midfield and if so left or right?

Not wanting to criticise choice of tactics or formation but want o to know from somebody at the match for a first hand explanation.

How very selfish Robbo - you haven't given the happy clappers something to whinge about!

Donny isn't easy but I'm still a little disappointed with the result. I was fairly surprised to see Elliott get the nod but the rest of the team picked itself.

No real complaints as long as we try and play attacking football next match.

'Happy Clappers', hmmm, a phrase that I've seen a lot on here, tends to mean 'naive' or 'easily pleased'. I'm intrigued as to the members of this 'group' can you name names please ?

According to city report Williams came on for straight swap for Sproule and Saborio came on for Elliott so were we playing 442 with Ivan right and Elliott left of midfield, or did elliott play just behind fronte two in the middle?

Subsequnetly, when saborio came on was it 433 with Williams, hartley and Skuse in midfield and three up front or did haynes drop back more into midfield and if so left or right?

Not wanting to criticise choice of tactics or formation but want o to know from somebody at the match for a first hand explanation.

Haynes played wide on the right in the second half and saw plenty of the ball. Saborio gave an extra outlet for the midfield which was less crowded with Marvin going off.

BTW If I'd have known it was formal dress today I'd have made the effort. Fair play to the 'well dressed' lads for helping to create an atmosphere and to the stewards for not being heavy handed.

'Happy Clappers', hmmm, a phrase that I've seen a lot on here, tends to mean 'naive' or 'easily pleased'. I'm intrigued as to the members of this 'group' can you name names please ?

It was an entirely tongue in cheek comment but if you need the names to form some sort of club you could start by looking for posters who complain about that other group - "moaners" I think they call them - or just search for posts telling people to go support the Gas/Man U?

It was an entirely tongue in cheek comment but if you need the names to form some sort of club you could start by looking for posters who complain about that other group - "moaners" I think they call them - or just search for posts telling people to go support the Gas/Man U?

**** off.

I'm no happy clapper just because I'm not you average fickle fan.

Archived