IGNORED

Why Can't We Copy The Likes Of Birmingham City And Wba?

Mr Mosquito

That is a different post to your original.

So to that post I will say this, I think in comparison to many of our championship opponents, We have spent quite a lot with the exception perhaps of Notts Forest who have obviously not learned the lessons of the past, hopefully.

OK, Birmingham City were lucky and were taken out of administration by Sullivan in 1993. Sullivan obviously geared Birmingham City FC to get back into the top flight - they've done it quickly and from a near recent bankruptcy. 'Why Can't We Copy The Likes Of Birmingham City and WBA' is what I suggested in the title to this topic.

OK, Birmingham City were lucky and were taken out of administration by Sullivan in 1993. Sullivan obviously geared Birmingham City FC to get back into the top flight - they've done it quickly and from a near recent bankruptcy. 'Why Can't We Copy The Likes Of Birmingham City and WBA' is what I suggested in the title to this topic.

OK, Now we got a discussion.

Right I think that we have established ourselves in this division and the next plank should be the new ground, without that why should SL invest any of his hard earned cash.

OK, Now we got a discussion.

Right I think that we have established ourselves in this division and the next plank should be the new ground, without that why should SL invest any of his hard earned cash.

Maybe Steve Lansdown is looking to do better than the likes of Birmingham and WBA because they've had new stands built but not new grounds. One step at a time I suppose but to fill our new ground we'll need top flight football. When we used to play the likes of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal in the top flight Ashton Gate was always rammed full. There's no point to a new ground without top flight football or the real prospect of imminent top flight football or the new ground will never be filled. We've got to get it right first on the pitch as Birmingham and WBA have managed to do.

Maybe Steve Lansdown is looking to do better than the likes of Birmingham and WBA because they've had new stands built but not new grounds. One step at a time I suppose but to fill our new ground we'll need top flight football. When we used to play the likes of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal in the top flight Ashton Gate was always rammed full. There's no point to a new ground without top flight football or the real prospect of imminent top flight football or the new ground will never be filled. We've got to get it right first on the pitch as Birmingham and WBA have managed to do.

What I meant was, get the planning permission and the foundations in, so we know the ground is online and then invest in the squad.

This is so important with North Somersets and Liam Foxes recent stand, if the new ground is a no go, why should he invest.

Birmingham City played some amazing football in the first half at Ashton Gate last season when they went 0-2 up with Lee Trundle pulling the score back to 1-2 in the second half. Birmingham and WBA have easily played the best football against us of all the teams I've seen us play in the Championship. Far from whinging, BCFC's support would be like that of Birmingham and WBA if only we could get it together on the pitch and as a football club.

I agree with the West Brom statement, but Birmingham were well overrated when they played us at Ashton Gate, and didn't look any better than when Leicester beat us 2-0 the previous season! However, that West Brom game where we drew 1-1, that truly was some of the best Football on display that I've ever seen at Ashton Gate, and we somehow got a point out of it!

True, but Burnley aren't and they probably played the best football of all last season and they are holding their own in the PL as well.

Indeed but it took them 8 years to get there. Somehow I can't imagine you would have been prepared to wait that long. :noexpression:

Indeed but it took them 8 years to get there. Somehow I can't imagine you would have been prepared to wait that long. :noexpression:

It could be argued that for 6 of those years they didn't have Owen Coyle. He joined them in 2007, two years after Johnson joined City.

Mental? There hasn't always been a Premier League and parachute payments. Birmingham City were going nowhere and were in administration until David Sullivan took over in the early 1990's. I'm also pretty sure that our attendances were higher than Birmingham's at that time. Another club that's left us behind from that period is Bolton whom we beat in the Freight Rover and now they're established in the Premier League. It's about time it was our turn for a big change of fortune. :winner_third_h4h:

Bolton of course spent abour five seasons being strong in what was then Division One without quite making promotion.

I agree with you that it's strange Bristol City have never been a yo-yo club, but others on here are trying to imply it's the current manager's fault whereas it's historic and for various reasons (rugby, amateur sport, cycles of underachievement).

Archived